Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes (19169 Views)

What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance / Flooded Vehicles: Here's What You Need To Know / Car Scanner /mechanic And How To Read The Codes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by manny707(m): 11:28am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

I like to follow your theory so I would ask you this question, how about if the cooling fan is belt driven?direct from the main pulley?

The choice of electric or belt-driven fans is a design consideration for the manufacturer, each system with it's merit. Fitting a belt-driven fan means less electrical load on vehicle systems. You will find that, in not too old cars that use belt driven fans, thermostats are still fitted to allow engine warm up faster, means that even though the fan is always on (no intermittent operation), it is not always cooling the engine, it's speed depends on the speed of the engine and it serves other functions such as cooling transmission fluid through the intercooler (if fitted) and cooling of the AC gas in the condenser. Also, keep in mind that the thermostat action described is reversible, meaning that if the always-on fan by some "miracle" cools the engine too much below a certain threshold, the thermostat will shut coolant flow into the engine allowing it to reach temperature again.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by erico2k2(m): 1:31am On Jun 14, 2016
manny707:

The choice of electric or belt-driven fans is a design consideration for the manufacturer, each system with it's merit. Fitting a belt-driven fan means less electrical load on vehicle systems. You will find that, in not too old cars that use belt driven fans, thermostats are still fitted to allow engine warm up faster, means that even though the fan is always on (no intermittent operation), it is not always cooling the engine, it's speed depends on the speed of the engine and it serves other functions such as cooling transmission fluid through the intercooler (if fitted) and cooling of the AC gas in the condenser. Also, keep in mind that the thermostat action described is reversible, meaning that if the always-on fan by some "miracle" cools the engine too much below a certain threshold, the thermostat will shut coolant flow into the engine allowing it to reach temperature again.
I never gave you choices, I specifically said if your fan is belt drive.so can you plz xplain along that line.
Im trying establish the relationship btw the cooling fan and fuel consumption.Which I know there is non but let us use logic to agree, so plz do the needfull
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by manny707(m): 9:47am On Jun 14, 2016
erico2k2:

I never gave you choices, I specifically said if your fan is belt drive.so can you plz xplain along that line.
Im trying establish the relationship btw the cooling fan and fuel consumption.Which I know there is non but let us use logic to agree, so plz do the needfull

At the risk of sounding brash (apologies to the OP), I'll just go ahead and say that I understand how comprehension can be a challenge because the answer to your first question and subsequent ones are in my responses (lengthy for that purpose). I DON'T have a DUTY to convince you of anything (there is no "NEEDFUL" ), seems like you have a brain, internet connection and a browser, you even found the videos on how to test oxygen sensors, so, do the world a favour, quit being a know-it-all (you said "..which I know there is non" even though you clearly don't) and do some research on the matter, that way you get to learn firsthand (though they say you can't fill a cup that is already full) and this space gets put to better use helping those who truly need help.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by erico2k2(m): 10:52am On Jun 14, 2016
manny707:

At the risk of sounding brash (apologies to the OP), I'll just go ahead and say that I understand how comprehension can be a challenge because the answer to your first question and subsequent ones are in my responses (lengthy for that purpose). I DON'T have a DUTY to convince you of anything (there is no "NEEDFUL" ), seems like you have a brain, internet connection and a browser, you even found the videos on how to test oxygen sensors, so, do the world a favour, quit being a know-it-all (you said "..which I know there is non" even though you clearly don't) and do some research on the matter, that way you get to learn firsthand (though they say you can't fill a cup that is already full) and this space gets put to better use helping those who truly need help.
This is the point I would disagree with you,I was not dismissing your argument, there is no need to get abrasives,its a discussion and we all learn from it.Putting a brick wall at every arguments leads no one to learn anything,I asked for you to explain something not cos Im trying to riducle you but try to understand where you are going,Engineering is not witch science, it is there to be proven logically.I gave Us a starting point ie Belt driven fan which of cos has no relationship with the thermostat.I can never be know it all, check my post on the Auto section,I have shared point with people whom I have argued wiv in the past,its a learning platform.SO I ask if not U anyone who can demonstrate the relationship btw a belt driven fan,thermostat and Fuel consumption simple simple no B fight. grin
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by honmusa(m): 3:18pm On Jun 14, 2016
erico2k2:

Plz xplain how
This topic has been thrashed several times on this forum.
The ultimate aim of any vehicle powertain system is to achieve 100%(14.7:1) stoic ratio which is the condition where your car will run at optimum condition with lowest possible emission and best fuel mileage without unnecessary running lean.
To achieve stoic condition ,the principal condition is temperature and fuel trim which is being managed chiefly by the following sensors: engine coolant temperature sensor and Air fuel sensor.
To achieve stoic ,your car system need to switch to close loop condition from open loop and the faster this can be achieved the better for your vehicle emission level and fuel mileage .
However if you put your car in a condition that make your vehicle system to remain at open loop or slow to achieve close loop due to overcooling of your engine (fan running direct,thermostat removed etc )then expect to consume more fuel than necessary accompanied with more emission release.
Apart from higher fuel consumption ,running at open loop for a longer time will destroy your engine faster as thorough and adequate engine lubrication will be never be achieved.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by honmusa(m): 5:24pm On Jun 14, 2016
princemillla:

Pls elucidate further. Which fan, the rad fan?

And if it's connected direct, how should I correct it. Pls
Can't cope with this 3k fuel from sango to ikotun anymore
If you radiator is directly connected ,take it to a competent technician that can revert the connection to factory default.
If you are in Lagos ,you can call my number @ my signature for that .

1 Like

Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by honmusa(m): 5:46pm On Jun 14, 2016
erico2k2:

ok now I have a bit of time, I will explain a bit
I presume your sensors have 3-4 wires
if so its a heated sensor
when your sensors was tested was it in the cold with a volt meter? if yes then reading 5-6 means its dead, the pure test for a working heated sensor is for you to heat the sensor with a touch flame and read it it goes up when very hot and drops back when you stop heating it.here bellow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2jO0_Cah0
that's a quick way to test it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKsS6AELPuM
This method is too crude to ascertain truly you if u have very efficient running O2 sensor. Best method is to run a live data on the o2 sensor and intentional introduce lean and rich condition and watch the o2 sensor response.
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by princemillla(m): 6:21pm On Jun 21, 2016
Congratulations to me, my car no longer consume fuel and the good thing is I did it all by my self. Couple with all the codes av been cleared.

Here are list of what I did.

The Temperature sensor was detached and the wire folded inside the fuel tank.
*incase u use quest and u r getting some temperature sensor code. kindly remove ur tank and dip ur hand far above the reservation portion of your tank, you should see a wire link to the sensor just plug it back.

The Crack shaft
This just disappear after some little knock on the cylinder.

The o2 sensor was changed. Tho I bought from ladipo as used but Guess i was lucky to get value for the little money I spent (don't try this if u r not so sure of what u r doing tho)

Excess fuel consumption

After changing the o2 I still notice it still consume fuel.
I went to the throttle body and adjusted this strings that raise the throttle and used an Allen key to adjusted the body which the raiser relax on. ALAS! MY PROBLEM WAS SOLVED. AM HAPPY TO TELL YOU THE DIFFERENCE

Befor I used 20 litres from ikotun to sango, but now 5littres now goes to and fro.

I want to appreciate everyone who took part in the discussion

Erico2k2, cocoduck mayor123 GAZZUZZ thank you guys God bless you sires
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by jasinto: 7:34pm On Jun 21, 2016
princemillla:

Befor I used 20 litres from ikotun to sango, but now 5littres now goes to and fro.

Are you sure 5ltrs will go to and fro ikotun to sango?

Can you prove your assertion further, how many kilometer is the distance covered and how minutes drive was it?
Re: I Scanned My Vehicles... Here Are The Codes by princemillla(m): 7:58pm On Jun 21, 2016
jasinto:

Are you sure 5ltrs will go to and fro ikotun to sango?

Can you prove your assertion further, how many kilometer is the distance covered and how minutes drive was it?

I really can't tell ow many kilometers covered but here is the deal.

I bought 5 litres of fuel in the car, and then bought 20 litres in Jerrycan.
I step out very early in the morning wen am sure there won't be hold up and came back :NO HOLD UP on my way goin n coming.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Facebook To Start Selling Cars From Next Week / Club Audi Naija And Elsewhere! / Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.