Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,176 members, 7,780,233 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:11 AM

What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? (32114 Views)

How To Choose The Right Laptop When Shopping On Konga Or Jumia / How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode / Poll: Design Or Specs, Which Is To Consider When Getting A Smartphone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Assistance(m): 7:52am On May 07, 2016
Hello people..

This thread should be in the computer section but I got registered newly so I can't post in there yet..

My question is this.. What are the very important specifications one should check out in a laptop before getting it.. Whether new one or fairly used..please advice me ..I'm planning on getting a laptop..

Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by ChappyChase: 8:07am On May 07, 2016
I no know...

1 Like

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Assistance(m): 8:13am On May 07, 2016
ChappyChase:
I no know...
ok sir
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Darey00(m): 9:30am On May 07, 2016
ESSENTIAL
1. RAM - a minimum of 2gig RAM (depending on ur budget)

2. Processor type and speed- Insist on Intel processors.. I'm not really conversant with the variants but going for Intel is essential. Speed should be 2ghz minimum

3. Hard drive space - minimum of 160gb (depending on budget)

4. DVD ROM

5. USB ports (3)

6. Webcam

35 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by djakinwande(m): 10:02am On May 07, 2016
Ram :2gb hard disk:320gb(minimum) 2ghz processor nd 3hrs backup battery
cool

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by emyyd: 10:05am On May 07, 2016
1. The processor. Two choices here - Intel or AMD. Intel is generally preferred to AMD, although AMD processors of equivalent abilities to Intel processors are cheaper. Grab?

2. The RAM. Go for at least 2gb. 4gb is standard. Higher is better

3. The screen resolution. Least acceptable is 1366 by 768 (which is just above HD). Look for Full HD if you can - 1920 by 1080

4. Screen size. Varies from 11" to 17". Your choice.

5. Battery life. Very important

6. Storage. Two choices here. HDD or SSD. Hard disks are much cheaper, but slower than SSDs. If you're going for a hard disk, look for at least 256gb. 500gb is becoming standard though. A 128gb SSD is still more expensive than a 500gb hard disk. Choose wisely.

7. Connectivity. Wifi is standard. The more USB ports the better (newer laptops usually have at least one USB 3 port, which is faster than the more common USB ports). Bluetooth is optional. Bluetooth USB dongles are quite cheap if you need one.

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by emyyd: 10:23am On May 07, 2016
With regard the processor, once you've decided to go for Intel, there are so many options. Diff classes of processors - from the Pentium series, to the M series, to the i series.

Best you go for the i series. Three options here - i3, i5 and i7. The higher the number, the more powerful. But it doesn't end there! There are currently 6 generations of these chips. The latest are called "Skylake" 6th gen. Go for something from the 3rd gen upwards. A 6th gen i3 is better than a 2nd gen i5.

Be very careful about this. Look out for the processor code name eg i5-5200u. Do a Google search of the name to learn more about it.

Core i5 is the best option for me cos the performance diff to i7 is not much. Gives you better battery life, and is cheaper than i7.

Whoops. No be small thing

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Nobody: 10:44am On May 07, 2016
- Random Access Memory (RAM)
Ideally, 4gb ram should be enough on a budget Laptop,but if you want something more high-end, 8gb wouldn't hurt.

- Storage (Hard Drive)
A lot of people don't know this, but the speed of a computers's CPU owes a lot to the storage. Small storage equals to minimum performance, large storage equals to maximum performance.

CPU
The CPU is basically the brains and heartbeat of a computer. The overall performance of a computer depends on the processor. If you're an hardcore gamer and money is not an issue, go for Intel core i5 & i7 - they are high-end stuff. On a budget however, core i3 is pretty basic, won't give you something extra but good enough.

Graphics Chip
Integrated graphics chip (it shares system memory) should serve you well, if you're not into playing PC games with high graphics, high res video editing or stuffs like that. A dedicated graphic processor from AMD or Nvidia is necessary however, if you're a gamer. It comes in budget and high end variants.

- Blu-ray/DVD Drives
This is a common feature on most laptops, but you can always buy an external one if yours don't have it. Many mini-laptops don't have in-built DVD drive.

- Display
Most people tend to overlook this, but it's very important. The more PPI you have, the sharper the overall screen resolution becomes.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Assistance(m): 11:44am On May 07, 2016
Thanks brother..
Darey00:
ESSENTIAL
1. RAM - a minimum of 2gig RAM (depending on ur budget)

2. Processor type and speed- Insist on Intel processors.. I'm not really conversant with the variants but going for Intel is essential. Speed should be 2ghz minimum

3. Hard drive space - minimum of 160gb (depending on budget)

4. DVD ROM

5. USB ports (3)

6. Webcam

1 Like

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Assistance(m): 11:47am On May 07, 2016
God bless
emyyd:
1. The processor. Two choices here - Intel or AMD. Intel is generally preferred to AMD, although AMD processors of equivalent abilities to Intel processors are cheaper. Grab?

3. The screen resolution. Least acceptable is 1366 by 768 (which is just above HD). Look for Full HD if you can - 1920 by 1080

6. Storage. Two choices here. HDD or SSD. Hard disks are much cheaper, but slower than SSDs. If you're going for a hard disk, look for at least 256gb. 500gb is becoming standard though. A 128gb SSD is still more expensive than a 500gb hard disk. Choose wisely.

7. Connectivity. Wifi is standard. The more USB ports the better (newer laptops usually have at least one USB 3 port, which is faster than the more common USB ports). Bluetooth is optional. Bluetooth USB dongles are quite cheap if you need one.
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by kulex2k1(m): 11:54am On May 08, 2016
It really depends on what you want to use the laptop for... the spec for a gaming laptop and one used for just browsing or word processing differ in so many ways. so if ur more specific it would help u better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by udemzyudex(m): 1:34pm On May 08, 2016
Whatever you do, don't buy an AMD laptop....

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by hawksford: 3:14pm On May 08, 2016
Woow
Was planning on creating a similar thread, thumbs up op, and all those who contributed to this thread

I need help on a new system to buy, as I really don't know much about laptops
I need it basically for video editing, graphics, and other things related
I have a budget of 50k - 85k
Preferably hp
windows 10
Please any recommendations?

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Assistance(m): 4:12pm On May 08, 2016
udemzyudex:
what's AMD

1 Like

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by udemzyudex(m): 4:14pm On May 08, 2016
Assistance:
what's AMD
Advanced micro devices......
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by kulex2k1(m): 5:02pm On May 08, 2016
udemzyudex:
WHY?
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by swisscarter(m): 5:34pm On May 08, 2016
kulex2k1:
WHY?
U wan boil yam without stove? use amd smiley...

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by udemzyudex(m): 6:07pm On May 08, 2016
kulex2k1:

WHY?

They don't last long on Nigeria, overheating that leads to VGA problem, before you know it, engineer will tell u to get another motherboard.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Assistance(m): 6:32pm On May 08, 2016
How can one tell which is AMD or not
udemzyudex:

They don't last long on Nigeria, overheating that leads to VGA problem, before you know it, engineer will tell u to get another motherboard.
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by udemzyudex(m): 6:57pm On May 08, 2016
Assistance:
How can one tell which is AMD or not

You will see the AMD sticker on the laptop or you press the window key +E, then click on system properties, you will see it along with the processor speed.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by kulex2k1(m): 2:16pm On May 16, 2016
udemzyudex:

Well one mans meat is another mans poison......
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Kezifils(m): 3:23pm On May 16, 2016
udemzyudex:

Seconded.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by udemzyudex(m): 8:23pm On May 16, 2016
kulex2k1:

ok
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by nurez305(m): 10:37pm On May 16, 2016
emyyd:

is it possible for one to get this kind spec for 50k and below (uk used)
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Gptech(m): 11:39pm On May 16, 2016
kulex2k1:

I tell you! I believe many people here are referring to the old generation AMDs. I played PES 2016 on an AMD A6 laptop and enjoyed it with almost unnoticeable lag. The same laptop ran PES 2013 for more than a year without issues. A more expensive laptop running Intel core i3 could not even run PES 2013 without force closing in less than 15 seconds. In terms of price the Intel laptop was more expensive and had better specs on paper. My point is don't just go for name, and there are many AMD laptops out there that out perform many Intel variant. I agree Intel is the boss, but you don't just generalise like that. Remember the same argument between snapdragon and mtk devices? And some persons will gladly chose a snapdragon 400 device over an Mtk x10 because they believe so long it is snapdragon it is better.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by BetaTechnicians: 6:09am On May 17, 2016
nurez305:
is it possible for one to get this kind spec for 50k and below (uk used)

www.nairaland.com/3077559/check-out-cheap-laptops
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by BetaTechnicians: 6:19am On May 17, 2016
there are two major factors that would determine the type of PC you buy: 1. what you need the PC for or what you want the PC to be capable of doing. 2. your budget.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by nurez305(m): 8:43am On May 17, 2016
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Nosainwe(m): 12:31am On May 18, 2016
pls guys will 30k be enough to get an average gaming laptop
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by BetaTechnicians: 5:26am On May 18, 2016
Nosainwe:
pls guys will 30k be enough to get an average gaming laptop
Yes, for games like Zuma cheesy

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by ypeace: 4:31pm On May 18, 2016
emyyd:
With regard the processor, once you've decided to go for Intel, there are so many options. Diff classes of processors - from the Pentium series, to the M series, to the i series.

Best you go for the i series. Three options here - i3, i5 and i7. The higher the number, the more powerful. But it doesn't end there! There are currently 6 generations of these chips. The latest are called "Skylake" 6th gen. Go for something from the 3rd gen upwards. A 6th gen i3 is better than a 2nd gen i5.

Be very careful about this. Look out for the processor code name eg i5-5200u. Do a Google search of the name to learn more about it.

Core i5 is the best option for me cos the performance diff to i7 is not much. Gives you better battery life, and is cheaper than i7.

Whoops. No be small thing

I sent you a pm. Please accept it
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Darmielojuh(m): 12:10pm On May 19, 2016
[

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Crack A Password Protected Zip File / Unbelievable Things People Search On Google / 7 Important Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.