Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,814 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? (32330 Views)

How To Choose The Right Laptop When Shopping On Konga Or Jumia / How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode / Poll: Design Or Specs, Which Is To Consider When Getting A Smartphone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Generalmac(m): 10:27pm On May 24, 2016
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by manmidtexy(m): 10:55pm On May 24, 2016
Assistance:
Hello people..

This thread should be in the computer section but I got registered newly so I can't post in there yet..

My question is this.. What are the very important specifications one should check out in a laptop before getting it.. Whether new one or fairly used..please advice me ..I'm planning on getting a laptop..

Thanks

Don't be mislead.

Share the main purpose of use and i will recommend exact specification.

Do your personal findings locally and internationally for price comparison via marketplaces and manufacturer's website with respect to your budget.

biodun@manmid.com
08024557715 - voice & whatsapp.
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by calculator123(m): 1:46am On May 25, 2016
pls can fifa or pes2016 play on 2gb ram lenovo ideapad ....
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by eniolaamoda: 5:34am On May 25, 2016
emyyd:
With regard the processor, once you've decided to go for Intel, there are so many options. Diff classes of processors - from the Pentium series, to the M series, to the i series.

Best you go for the i series. Three options here - i3, i5 and i7. The higher the number, the more powerful. But it doesn't end there! There are currently 6 generations of these chips. The latest are called "Skylake" 6th gen. Go for something from the 3rd gen upwards. A 6th gen i3 is better than a 2nd gen i5.

Be very careful about this. Look out for the processor code name eg i5-5200u. Do a Google search of the name to learn more about it.

Core i5 is the best option for me cos the performance diff to i7 is not much. Gives you better battery life, and is cheaper than i7.

Whoops. No be small thing

How can one know the generation of a processor
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by eniolaamoda: 5:35am On May 25, 2016
emyyd:
1. The processor. Two choices here - Intel or AMD. Intel is generally preferred to AMD, although AMD processors of equivalent abilities to Intel processors are cheaper. Grab?

2. The RAM. Go for at least 2gb. 4gb is standard. Higher is better

3. The screen resolution. Least acceptable is 1366 by 768 (which is just above HD). Look for Full HD if you can - 1920 by 1080

4. Screen size. Varies from 11" to 17". Your choice.

5. Battery life. Very important

6. Storage. Two choices here. HDD or SSD. Hard disks are much cheaper, but slower than SSDs. If you're going for a hard disk, look for at least 256gb. 500gb is becoming standard though. A 128gb SSD is still more expensive than a 500gb hard disk. Choose wisely.

7. Connectivity. Wifi is standard. The more USB ports the better (newer laptops usually have at least one USB 3 port, which is faster than the more common USB ports). Bluetooth is optional. Bluetooth USB dongles are quite cheap if you need one.

How can one kno if the usb port is usb port3
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by obixcel(m): 6:46am On May 25, 2016
My Current Hp2000 Laptop Intel Pentium R
RAM: 6GB
PROCESSOR: 2.4GHZ
HARD DRIVE: 680GB
WINDOWS: Windows 10 64Bit Operating System.
Price bought: N84K
Battery life: Superb and last longer
Since 2014 till date It's been fun and I've never regretted purchasing it, very fast and efficient.
NOTE: There are so many Hp2000s intel pentium dat come with 4GB RAM which is not so bad also, but I was lucky to get d 6GB RAM type.
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Samcathe: 7:12am On May 25, 2016
nice thread
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Cannonleo(m): 8:25am On May 25, 2016
Assistance:
Hello people..

This thread should be in the computer section but I got registered newly so I can't post in there yet..

My question is this.. What are the very important specifications one should check out in a laptop before getting it.. Whether new one or fairly used..please advice me ..I'm planning on getting a laptop..

Thanks
Ram size, hard disk size , processor make (always go for Intel products, amd usually trashes Intel in the area of video cards cum display adapters but their lifespan especially in our climate is weak, very week).
Battery cell and duration.
That's all
Nb make sure u conduct a light test on the keyboard, cos brand new systems today seem to have 1nd2 with faulty keyboards. Now get it bro

Leo Technologies speaking
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Cannonleo(m): 8:28am On May 25, 2016
eniolaamoda:

How can one kno if the usb port is usb port3
its usually specified on the label or chehk the port ,it usually has a blue surface point around it.

Note some systems with usb 3.0 are hard to downgrade to lower OS versions eg win 7. Most especially Asus nd acer
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Iyke1998(m): 8:56am On May 25, 2016
Which laptop can I use in learning web design?
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Nobody: 9:52am On May 25, 2016
God forbid that I use AMD processor again.. No way... It's love for Change of motherboard is incredible ... Too much headache..

I need a new laptop basically for studies and training, wanna run programs such Petrel and eclipse. If you are familiar with these.... Suggest the specs and if possible name the laptop(s) you think will be best.

Now gurus, my laptop sound icon have been pepertually marked red, 'no audio output device installed' is all I get whenever I click. What do I do. Is it something I can resolve or its a bigger issue that needs professional hands.?

Thanks guys...
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by CELEBRITIZ(m): 12:32pm On May 25, 2016
Misterdhee1:
HP Probook 6460b for sale ...Not so neat, but highly functional... Core i5, 4gig ram, 500gb...
nice specs,but d laptop is not attractive.
dell inspiron 3520,u can google it.
windows 10,ba3 life up to 5Hrs,neatness 8/10.
4gb Ram, 500gb HDD which can both be upgraded if u want to,its a gamer system, i will give u d system with d follow come everlasting charger for 60k,but it negotiable.
its core I3,THIRD GENERATION.
games are Already installed in it,with ma two fav games(PES 2016(6.3GB) and naruto 3(8gb)) i can help u collect naruto 4(10gb),its doesn't lag.
its plastic,coz aluminum do shock most times.
Colour(Black all through) just like batman
ma num 08188694995
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Misterdhee1(m): 12:43pm On May 25, 2016
CELEBRITIZ:

nice specs,but d laptop is not attractive.
dell inspiron 3520,u can google it.
windows 10,ba3 life up to 5Hrs,neatness 8/10.
4gb Ram, 500gb HDD which can both be upgraded if u want to,its a gamer system, i will give u d system with d follow come everlasting charger for 60k,but it negotiable.
its core I3,THIRD GENERATION.
games are Already installed in it,with ma two fav games(PES 2016(6.3GB) and naruto 3(8gb)) i can help u collect naruto 4(10gb),its doesn't lag.
its plastic,coz aluminum do shock most times.
Colour(Black all through) just like batman
ma num 08188694995
Attractiveness?? With those specs?? I have seen it couple if times in action, and I can tell you candidly, that you are wrong..Thanks!
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by selfmadeOLX(m): 2:23pm On May 25, 2016
viickerz:
50k.. Last
lol.. contacts are via my signature Sir..!
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by henry457: 10:58am On May 26, 2016
It depend on what u want to use it 4.i just purchased Intel quad core i7 workstation(laptop) from ebay a month ago at a rate of $1500 London used bt like new.it came with 16GB RAM,3.1Ghz processor with turbo boost 3.8Ghz,(8 processor),3 internal HDD(1TB normal hard drive,500GB SSD,32GB msata SSD),full HD screen,4 USB 3.0,backlight keyboard,speaker are subwoofer,etc.i bought dis dell inspiron laptop(workstation) with dis specification 4 professional course and programs am currently running.it has everytin a laptop can have with a desktop feature. so if what you are using it is 4 minor jobs,u can go with system with atleast 4GB ram,2.1-2.5GHz cpu,volume of hard disk is not mostly a problem in system because the can b upgraded to any volume at anytime,etc
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Lapto
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Assistance(m): 5:50am On May 28, 2016
Bro how does one order from EBay.. Is it payment on delivery or how..how many days does it take..where is d pickup
henry457:
It depend on what u want to use it 4.i just purchased Intel quad core i7 workstation(laptop) from ebay a month ago at a rate of $1500 London used bt like new.it came with 16GB RAM,3.1Ghz processor with turbo boost 3.8Ghz,(8 processor),3 internal HDD(1TB normal hard drive,500GB SSD,32GB msata SSD),full HD screen,4 USB 3.0,backlight keyboard,speaker are subwoofer,etc.i bought dis dell inspiron laptop(workstation) with dis specification 4 professional course and programs am currently running.it has everytin a laptop can have with a desktop feature. so if what you are using it is 4 minor jobs,u can go with system with atleast 4GB ram,2.1-2.5GHz cpu,volume of hard disk is not mostly a problem in system because the can b upgraded to any volume at anytime,etc
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Lapto
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by BekBek(m): 1:17pm On May 28, 2016
selfmadeOLX:
Acer Aspire E1-570 notebook PC

Under The Hood
Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit Edition
Intel® Core™ i3 processor Dual-core 1.80 GHz

Dimension: 39.6 cm 15.6" HD LED LCD CineCrystal, HDCP (1366 x 768) 16:9 aspect ratio
Intel® HD 4000
1792MB (up to 2GB) dedicated graphics video memory (GPU)

Memory: 6 GB RAM - DDR3
Max Supported Size 8 GB
Dual RAM slot (Upgradable anytime)
1TB (1,000 GB) HDD

Optical Drive : DVD SuperMulti DL Drive
DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - fixed tray

Connection: 802.11n, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
Standard Wi-Fi CERTIFIED

Integrated Webcam:
Camera Features 720 x 1280 ( HD ) video recording

Full type keyboard, touchpad
Localization & Layout
Features : Acer FineTouch keyboard, built-in numeric keyboard, multi-gesture touch pad

2 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0
HDMI
LAN
VGA
Headphone output
Memory Card Reader
Yes ( SD Card )

Sound Stereo double speakers high Definition Audio, microphone.

Color : Steel Grey

Battery : 4-cell Li-ion battery
Run Time ( Up To ) 4 sec
Up Time ( Up to ) 6 hours

Included Laptop Accessories
Power Adapter
Bluetooth Mouse

Miscellaneous
15.6" Laptop Bag

Photoshop cs5, cs6
Adobe Auto Cad
Adobe premiere
PES 2014
GTA
Need for Speed
Handles graphics demanding softwares smooth and perfectly

Others
Carton, receipt and Documentations

Note :
Was bought brand new
Super slim notebook PC
Condition: Working Perfectly
Neatness 9/10
Pricing
70,000 naira

Contacts are via my Signature..! Thanks..!
Slightly negotiable

Pictures and can it for for 50k
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by JoshGiantfeet(m): 4:36pm On May 28, 2016
TPls recommend to me an Hp laptop dt fits ds specs and n 80k/less budget. Tnks
emyyd:
With regard the processor, once you've decided to go for Intel, there are so many options. Diff classes of processors - from the Pentium series, to the M series, to the i series.

Best you go for the i series. Three options here - i3, i5 and i7. The higher the number, the more powerful. But it doesn't end there! There are currently 6 generations of these chips. The latest are called "Skylake" 6th gen. Go for something from the 3rd gen upwards. A 6th gen i3 is better than a 2nd gen i5.

Be very careful about this. Look out for the processor code name eg i5-5200u. Do a Google search of the name to learn more about it.

Core i5 is the best option for me cos the performance diff to i7 is not much. Gives you better battery life, and is cheaper than i7.

Whoops. No be small thing
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by selfmadeOLX(m): 7:19pm On May 28, 2016
BekBek:

Pictures and can it for for 50k

Would reduce it to a 4GB + 500GB for that price Sir..!
WhatsApp for pictures please..!
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by BekBek(m): 8:46pm On May 28, 2016
selfmadeOLX:

Would reduce it to a 4GB + 500GB for that price Sir..!

WhatsApp for pictures please..!

I don't need the bag and anyother thing you have with the laptop.

I just need the laptop and the charger. You can uninstall the apps if you like.

If it can go for 50k. We can transact tomorrow
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by selfmadeOLX(m): 9:41pm On May 28, 2016
BekBek:

I don't need the bag and anyother thing you have with the laptop.

I just need the laptop and the charger. You can uninstall the apps if you like.

If it can go for 50k. We can transact tomorrow

Lol.. Sill remains Sir.. Your Price attracts a 4GB + 500GB You can upgrade whenever you like.. That I can do smiley
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Khemhyte(f): 12:06pm On May 29, 2016
Pls any idea of the current price of this laptop? (New one) hp 250 G4, core i3, 5th gen, 2.0 Ghz, 4gb + 500gb. Thanks
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by udemzyudex(m): 5:58pm On May 30, 2016
Threecrownz:

i wouldn't know what made you said that but my hp system's processor is AMD and this is the fifth year since its purchase...very fast, run all softwares and games...

keep pampering it..... do high intensive graphic job ,play high graphic game..
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by blezzy080: 6:40pm On Jun 04, 2016
henry457:
It depend on what u want to use it 4.i just purchased quad core i7 from ebay a month ago at a rate of $1500 London used bt like new.it came with 16GB RAM,3.1Ghz processor with turbo boost 3.8Ghz,(8 proocessor),3 internal HDD(1TB normal hard drive,500GB SSD,32GB msata SSD),full HD screen,4 USB 3.0,backlight keyboard,speaker are subwoofer,etc.i bought dis laptop with dis specification 4 professional course and programs am currently running.so if what you are using it is 4 minor jobs,u can go with system with atleast 4GB ram,2.1-2.5GHz cpu,volume of hard disk is not mostly a problem in system because the can b upgraded to any volume at anytime,etc
how much did u get d system wen converted to #
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by kulex2k1(m): 10:43am On Jun 06, 2016
Gptech:

I tell you! I believe many people here are referring to the old generation AMDs. I played PES 2016 on an AMD A6 laptop and enjoyed it with almost unnoticeable lag. The same laptop ran PES 2013 for more than a year without issues. A more expensive laptop running Intel core i3 could not even run PES 2013 without force closing in less than 15 seconds. In terms of price the Intel laptop was more expensive and had better specs on paper. My point is don't just go for name, and there are many AMD laptops out there that out perform many Intel variant. I agree Intel is the boss, but you don't just generalise like that. Remember the same argument between snapdragon and mtk devices? And some persons will gladly chose a snapdragon 400 device over an Mtk x10 because they believe so long it is snapdragon it is better.

Well said..
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 15, 2016
koice:
- Random Access Memory (RAM)
Ideally, 4gb ram should be enough on a budget Laptop,but if you want something more high-end, 8gb wouldn't hurt.

- Storage (Hard Drive)
A lot of people don't know this, but the speed of a computers's CPU owes a lot to the storage. Small storage equals to minimum performance, large storage equals to maximum performance.

CPU
The CPU is basically the brains and heartbeat of a computer. The overall performance of a computer depends on the processor. If you're an hardcore gamer and money is not an issue, go for Intel core i5 & i7 - they are high-end stuff. On a budget however, core i3 is pretty basic, won't give you something extra but good enough.

Graphics Chip
Integrated graphics chip (it shares system memory) should serve you well, if you're not into playing PC games with high graphics, high res video editing or stuffs like that. A dedicated graphic processor from AMD or Nvidia is necessary however, if you're a gamer. It comes in budget and high end variants.

- Blu-ray/DVD Drives
This is a common feature on most laptops, but you can always buy an external one if yours don't have it. Many mini-laptops don't have in-built DVD drive.

- Display
Most people tend to overlook this, but it's very important. The more PPI you have, the sharper the overall screen resolution becomes.

Koice,with a budget of 120k,which laptop would you recommend I get?

Bearing in mind decent gaming capabilities.
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Emeka71(m): 12:26pm On Jun 16, 2016
Assistance:
Hello people..

Thanks
Very important you check out for the wi-fi ; Bluetooth is not compulsory ; Check the USB port (very important you should have 3 or 4) check the CD-ROM ensure the thing is working properly .
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Emeka71(m): 12:31pm On Jun 16, 2016
emyyd:
1. The processor. Two choices here - Intel or AMD. Intel is generally preferred to AMD, although AMD processors of equivalent abilities to Intel processors are cheaper. Grab?

2. The RAM. Go for at least 2gb. 4gb is standard. Higher is better

3. The screen resolution. Least acceptable is 1366 by 768 (which is just above HD). Look for Full HD if you can - 1920 by 1080

4. Screen size. Varies from 11" to 17". Your choice.

5. Battery life. Very important

6. Storage. Two choices here. HDD or SSD. Hard disks are much cheaper, but slower than SSDs. If you're going for a hard disk, look for at least 256gb. 500gb is becoming standard though. A 128gb SSD is still more expensive than a 500gb hard disk. Choose wisely.

7. Connectivity. Wifi is standard. The more USB ports the better (newer laptops usually have at least one USB 3 port, which is faster than the more common USB ports). Bluetooth is optional. Bluetooth USB dongles are quite cheap if you need one.
How much is the Bluetooth USB dongle?
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Godson32(m): 5:08am On Jun 20, 2016
Can anyone in the house enlighting me on Packard Bell products,specifically packard bell TJ65 notebook. I want to choose between the above mentioned product packard bell TJ65 notebook and HP 630 notebook.Thanks.
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jun 21, 2016
bykebyke:

Koice,with a budget of 120k,which laptop would you recommend I get?

Bearing in mind decent gaming capabilities.

Sorry for the late reply, I don't frequent Nairaland nowadays.

Well, HP Probook 4540s is ideal. Try and google the specs and current price on Konga, but, I'm pretty the price tag falls within your specified price spectrum. It's mainly for business but can handle hardcore gaming like a champ.

Or

You can swing for the older model HP Probook 4530s, which is naturally, cheaper.
Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 21, 2016
koice:

Sorry for the late reply, I don't frequent Nairaland nowadays.

Well, HP Probook 4540s is ideal. Try and google the specs and current price on Konga, but, I'm pretty the price tag falls within your specified price spectrum. It's mainly for business but can handle hardcore gaming like a champ.

Or

You can swing for the older model HP Probook 4530s, which is naturally, cheaper.

Thanks bro. cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? by UDS: 3:17pm On Jun 22, 2016
I agree with all the suggestions above on this thread . But before you buy a laptop the first question you should be able to answer is.

"What do I need a laptop for" The answer will now let you know what to go for. If you are the type that plays game a lot , you need an AMD processor, if you are into graphics you need an AMD laptop with a dedicated graphics of at least 1gb. If you are a programmer you need a high processor of about 2.4ghz and preferable a ci5 or ci7. If you want a business machine that will run from morning till night and moved around with so many multitasking jobs, you need a Pro - book or an elite book. If you need a laptop for your assignment and project work in the school which is basically for Microsoft word and Excel you a simple dual core or core i3 depending on your pocket size. After this you can now think of the hard disk size, Ram size etc. AMD works very well in Nigeria, all you need to do is to make sure you place it a well ventilated room , office (With Fan or AC) or better still get a laptop cooling pad.

www.alphacomonline.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Crack A Password Protected Zip File / Unbelievable Things People Search On Google / 7 Important Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.