Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,808 members, 7,806,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage (60501 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Why Do Most Girls Gets So Fat After Marriage? / Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 27, 2009
blackky187:

@aysometin and Iranoladun are correct

i did mine just a two months ago and what i spent was 5k and in punch newspaper.

Haba Guy, na dangote abi na Babangida daughter you sef marry? Even at that don't throw away your father name eh.Just introduce hyphen e.g Okereke-Dangote

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by blackky187(m): 4:16pm On Aug 27, 2009
@ferdiii
the change of name that i did was for my wife and not mine smileyShe now bears my name ok
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Gentlelady(f): 4:49pm On Aug 27, 2009
cassidy:

Well i did mine last year with dailytrust newspaper Abuja, it cost me 2,500 (N100 per word). I just went with a write up and i ve used dis same publication to change name on my cheque book (i had an Islamic wedding).

It will be nice if you let us know the kind of write up and which office or court you got it from.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by kay8080: 10:38pm On Aug 27, 2009
Well to all those that are wondering how to get there name change to that of there husband after marriage, I guess u need not worry anymore cos u are speaking with the professional. Am an advert executive with THE NATION newspaper (www.thenationonlineng.net) so if u have any issues with 'Change of Name' u can reach me on kay_8080@yahoo.com.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nobody: 11:30pm On Aug 27, 2009
How bou' changing a name as a single yet unmarried individual?? undecided
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by mamagee6(f): 11:57pm On Aug 27, 2009
Too much make up on that face, I hope you didn't pour a whole container of brown powder on your face. grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 28, 2009
brein:

How bou' changing a name as a single yet unmarried individual?? undecided

All you need is a sworn affidavit from court for a change of name
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Lacuzy: 5:34pm On Sep 02, 2009
u look good and congrats! i think you need a marriage certificate and newspaper house like BusinessDay Media where i work just ask of Chioma or call 08057174399
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by coded777: 10:19pm On Sep 02, 2009
Me wanted tam add up spicey ku the rollup ba enough linguà been enumerated, aigh. Kool still.
Coded Still.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Outstrip(f): 2:07am On Sep 03, 2009
I am not in Nigeria but I would assume that you would have to go to court and it does not matter if it is a church wedding or the traditional when it comes to legalizing it (I hope so). The court process is usually different.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by coded777: 2:38am On Sep 03, 2009
Me wanted tam add up spicey ku the rollup ba enough linguà been enumerated, aigh. Kool still.
Coded Still.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by coded777: 2:41am On Sep 03, 2009
Coded Still.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by coded777: 2:43am On Sep 03, 2009
Coded Still.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by sweetbee(f): 5:15pm On Sep 04, 2009
the woman fine no be small, wait make u see her face for nite when she do comot pancake u go shout WHO BE THIS grin
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by linkfactor: 5:28pm On Feb 19, 2010
Iranoladun:

I'm surprise at all the responses.  To the best of my knowledge, you cannot just go to a newspaper whether you are a man or woman and just declare that you want your name to be change. shocked

If you want to change your name for reason of being married under the Native law & custom i.e. traditional marriage, church or mosque (Customary act) or marriage act (i.e. marriage in a registry) the steps below is what you need to follow:

You need to do an affidavit (i.e. swear on oath) with a lawyer (Notary Public) or in front of a Commissioner for Oath in a Court before you then go to a newspaper for the purpose of widely circulating the notice of change of name.    

However, If you have a marriage certificate you will need to present it otherwise your lawyer or Notary Public may do a "Deed Poll" for you i.e. your husband will also need to sign the document to confirm that he has given his permission for you to be bearing his name.

Changing of name without a 'Mrs." simply involve an affidavit  & newspaper publication (i.e. if you are a man or you are a 'Miss"wink.

Hi Iranoladun, you seem to know much about this, so i have a question: What is the main purpose of placing this information in the newspapers? What section of the law specifies that it MUST be the newspapers? Or is it just that it has to be made public by some means or the other, or you just need to have a physical copy/record of the change? basically, can't I decide to make mine public by placing it online? what are the legal issue for/against this?

Thanks. It's just that I've been wondering what the logic is behind the newspaper thingy,
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by excalibur(m): 7:27pm On May 12, 2011
linkfactor:

Hi Iranoladun, you seem to know much about this, so i have a question: What is the main purpose of placing this information in the newspapers? What section of the law specifies that it MUST be the newspapers? Or is it just that it has to be made public by some means or the other, or you just need to have a physical copy/record of the change? basically, can't I decide to make mine public by placing it online? what are the legal issue for/against this?

Thanks. It's just that I've been wondering what the logic is behind the newspaper thingy,

Good questions asked. Its why I subscribed to the website namechangenigeria. It's free for now and will soon be made official apparently. You just need to create a profile for yourself, and you can share the information to friends and family from there.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Onyinyechimara(f): 8:21am On Sep 25, 2013
These might be silly questions, but pardon me ok
1) can you change your name OUTSIDE Nigeria if the wedding was INSIDE Nigeria?
2) if the wedding was outside Nigeria ( and you re marrying a Nigerian) can you change your name in the same country you had the wedding or you have to go back to Nigeria??
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by inuyasha01(m): 12:14pm On Sep 25, 2013
cassidy: In all honesty u dont need a marriage certificate to chang your name, just go to any print media and give them your details. You are required to pay certain amount, i did mine with dailytrust newspaper and payed N100 per word.

Afterall islamic weddings dont ve marriage certificate

Who told you they don't issue marriage certificate in islam
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by nora544: 4:03am On Dec 30, 2013
I want to know something. a girlfriend is married and she makes the anoncement in the newspaper, i see this, that she change her family name and that all her documents under her maiden name are not okay

What I didnot understand is that she study now under her maiden name in an other country and for me it looks like she make a divorse and she had fear to tell this to her parents because on facebook she is with the familyname of her husband and on an other social network for business she has an account with her maiden name.

Is this possible in nigeria that a woman can change her name like she want it.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by nylawal(m): 1:05am On Oct 21, 2014
For the purpose of those that need the price for change of name. I recently visited the head office of Daily Trust newspapers in Jabi n got it done for 3k. They do for that price for Mon, Wed or Fri. Its costs like 7k other days of their schedule. I think 3k is resinable for a 3" x 3" column (or less) which is just meant for d records!

Cheers Yall

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by LaRoyalHighness(f): 10:10am On Oct 21, 2014
I just love the expression of the cute bride and groom. Niceeeee
@change of name.. They have said it all.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by DanielUnilag: 12:42pm On Dec 18, 2014
@nylawal, pls I'll appreciate if you can gimme a contact no of anyone in the daily newspaper dt u spoke of. It want to get my done as well. U can send me an SMS 080335526967 or a mail tademech@yahoo.com.
Thks
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by 1goodman: 9:35pm On Dec 19, 2014
cassidy:
Well i did mine last year with dailytrust newspaper Abuja, it cost me 2,500 (N100 per word). I just went with a write up and i ve used dis same publication to change name on my cheque book (i had an Islamic wedding).

ao long did it take ?... I mean like ao many days ?
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by fmniky(m): 9:26am On Feb 13, 2016
Change of name in any nigerian newspaper
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by tvreporter: 3:38pm On Mar 31, 2016
Steps on How To Do Change Of Name In Nigeria. http://www.newscity.com.ng/steps-change-name-nigeria/
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by hippyseason(f): 7:30pm On Oct 04, 2016
Iranoladun:
I'm surprise at all the responses.  To the best of my knowledge, you cannot just go to a newspaper whether you are a man or woman and just declare that you want your name to be change. shocked

If you want to change your name for reason of being married under the Native law & custom i.e. traditional marriage, church or mosque (Customary act) or marriage act (i.e. marriage in a registry) the steps below is what you need to follow:

You need to do an affidavit (i.e. swear on oath) with a lawyer (Notary Public) or in front of a Commissioner for Oath in a Court before you then go to a newspaper for the purpose of widely circulating the notice of change of name.    

However, If you have a marriage certificate you will need to present it otherwise your lawyer or Notary Public may do a "Deed Poll" for you i.e. your husband will also need to sign the document to confirm that he has given his permission for you to be bearing his name.

Changing of name without a 'Mrs." simply involve an affidavit  & newspaper publication (i.e. if you are a man or you are a 'Miss"wink.

Thank you. Seven years later and this has still been a great help. So if I'm getting you right, it means I can do a change of name with an affidavit of customary marriage, even if I don't have the standard court marriage certificate yet?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nobody: 3:39am On Nov 15, 2017
Iranoladun:

Pls, Do you have a link of a Newspaper I can call to that regards?
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 19, 2017
Rogosa:

Pls, Do you have a link of a Newspaper I can call to that regards?

I can assist you with that via The Nigerian Tribune newspaper. Change of name are always published on Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday. You can contact me on 08066500655

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Adayoung(f): 11:47am On Nov 19, 2017
Pls house is there limit to the number of names u are to assume ? Or is there a rule guilding the names u are to use?. Thks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Apply ‘love Charm’ On My Manhood To Win My Wife Back – Man Tells Court / I Just Saw My Uncle's Wife In A Guest House / Nigerian Man Who Has 97 Wives: God Gives Me Power To Satisfy Them Sexually(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.