Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,359 members, 7,780,979 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:47 AM

A New Search Engine - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A New Search Engine (7543 Views)

Meet The 19-year-old Who Built A New Search Engine To Rival Google And Youtube / Do You Think You Can Develop A Search Engine From Scratch? / Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A New Search Engine by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 24, 2016
Hey guys, our mumbai ke superhero is back with the goat-sach thangs. . . .
Re: A New Search Engine by micodon(m): 3:23pm On May 24, 2016
dhtml18:
Hey guys, our mumbai ke superhero is back with the goat-sach thangs. . . .

Mumbai superhero.....
Re: A New Search Engine by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 24, 2016
But wait, i search for:
goat - not found still to my greatest dissapointments
nairaland - not found
php - found (but wrong - the resulting page when opened does not contain anything like php)
php boys - not found (this is so wrong, if you cannot find php boys, you should search for php instead)

at this point, i abandon the search once again. but this version is slightly better than the previous.
Re: A New Search Engine by Djade007: 4:11pm On May 24, 2016
Op why don't you use Google search engine api, for keywords that aren't found. You will also be updating your database with the result returned from Google

1 Like

Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 4:22pm On May 24, 2016
dhtml18:
But wait, i search for:
goat - not found still to my greatest dissapointments
nairaland - not found
php - found (but wrong - the resulting page when opened does not contain anything like php)
php boys - not found (this is so wrong, if you cannot find php boys, you should search for php instead)

at this point, i abandon the search once again. but this version is slightly better than the previous.
Nairaland wasn't added that's why no result showed.
Soon eneough you get latest result.
Still working on fine tuning the result.
Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 4:24pm On May 24, 2016
Djade007:
Op why don't you use Google search engine api, for keywords that aren't found. You will also be updating your database with the result returned from Google
How do you mean?
Re: A New Search Engine by Djade007: 5:11pm On May 24, 2016
guru01:

How do you mean?
For example, a keyword was searched, you check your database to see if there was any result.

If there is no result or if the number result is low, you can make an api request to Google search engine. You populate your database with the returned data from the api and give the user the result. Next time the same keyword was searched you would already have some content in your database.
Re: A New Search Engine by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 24, 2016
^^^that is a cache system, yeah, that was how i was able to break the limit of some of those google apis that say. . . .
Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 6:02pm On May 24, 2016
Djade007:

For example, a keyword was searched, you check your database to see if there was any result.

If there is no result or if the number result is low, you can make an api request to Google search engine. You populate your database with the returned data from the api and give the user the result. Next time the same keyword was searched you would already have some content in your database.
Thanks I will look Into this.
We are still improving the system, so every idea is valuable.
Re: A New Search Engine by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 24, 2016
@op, i hope you know that you are owing me a goat? a live goat at that (not an e-goat mind you).
Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 7:29pm On May 24, 2016
dhtml18:
@op, i hope you know that you are owing me a goat? a live goat at that (not an e-goat mind you).
No problem sir, your goat is still on the pipeline.
Re: A New Search Engine by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 25, 2016
guru01:
Hey guys, Sachng.com is back and better.
Thanks to all those that drop their little dislike and like.
@dhtml18 you goat search is now activated.
CHeers.

Looks like you made your search engine crawl only Wikipedia and StackOverflow.

Think about adding autocomplete feature to your website, using either JQuery autocomplete.js, or TypeAhead.js you can download it at http://twitter.github.io/typeahead.js/
Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 4:08pm On May 25, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Think about adding autocomplete feature to your website, using either JQuery autocomplete.js, or TypeAhead.js you can download it at http://twitter.github.io/typeahead.js/
Thanks will implement that later on.

1 Like

Re: A New Search Engine by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 25, 2016
guru01:

No problem sir, your goat is still on the pipeline.
Thanks, please let me have the goat by xmas, i will appreciate that.

DanielTheGeek:

Na apa-yan we dey call person like you for yoruba. The search engine that cannot even find me a live goat, you want to kill it abi?

1 Like

Re: A New Search Engine by 2mNaira: 12:53pm On May 27, 2016
guru01:

My brother leave all these English for British.
The only reason your Php app is slow is due to your logic, and also because Php is not a strict language.
If you write Php the way you write your c++ you will notice improvement.
Beside this is just a start, there is always room for other languages.

Hello guru01 , I suggest you use php extensions written in c++ that way you can have the best if both worlds.Since you can code in c++ and you have written your php in a C++-like manner this should be a a simple task for you.That way you can have the advantage of speed and concurrency.But you will discover that writing a php extension is no trivial task.Well, I was lucky to discover a software that will convert already written c++ code to php extension code. If you are interested in the software pls let me know.It is a free downloadable software.

As to database,if you don't mind your app being dependent on google you can opt to use google cloud for php. I think the issues raised here by ealier posters do not apply to it even thought it is a mysql kind of cloud database.
Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 5:34pm On May 27, 2016
mnairaland:

Hello guru01 , I suggest you use php extensions written in c++ that way you can have the best if both worlds.Since you can code in c++ and you have written your php in a C++-like manner this should be a a simple task for you.That way you can have the advantage of speed and concurrency.But you will discover that writing a php extension is no trivial task.Well, I was lucky to discover a software that will convert already written c++ code to php extension code. If you are interested in the software pls let me know.It is a free downloadable software.

As to database,if you don't mind your app being dependent on google you can opt to use google cloud for php. I think the issues raised here by ealier posters do not apply to it even thought it is a mysql kind of cloud database.
I like to distant this product from Google.
Nice idea you got.

1 Like

Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 5:37pm On May 27, 2016
I noticed that the first search takes some reasonable amount of seconds, but if you repeat that same search, you get the result in less than a second.

Am serious working on the search speed which will improve this weekend.

Cheers guys.
Re: A New Search Engine by 2mNaira: 2:17pm On Jul 08, 2016
guru01:
I noticed that the first search takes some reasonable amount of seconds, but if you repeat that same search, you get the result in less than a second.

Am serious working on the search speed which will improve this weekend.

Cheers guys.

Is your site offline? I am having difficulty accessing it.
Re: A New Search Engine by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 08, 2016
guru01:

I like to distant this product from Google.
Nice idea you got.

helloo guru01, you have done a tremedous job on your search engine thingy and i must say, its a very welcome idea, and an impressive stride at it.
"so here's the question, why dont you make your search engine opensource?"
i know u'll probably curse me for this in your locally focused mind.
but u would agree with me that you stand a 99% chance of hitting the world with your search engine if you make the opensource move....forget about u loosing grip of ur baby project... lookup linus travold on google.
you see, if you make this opensource, you will be like the linux pain in microsoft's ass. or more like the android pain in IOS ass. (I'm sure u get d idea)
there is no way you wont hit the world being opensource, you've got the nairaland team, coupled with the whole african team, not to mention the world working on making the first ever african opensource search engine.
BTW, this is an advice....a billion dollar advice...take it or leave it.
you'll be surprised someone is already making use of this piece of advice...

Re: A New Search Engine by micodon(m): 4:22pm On Aug 11, 2016
Please what happened to our PHP and MYSQL search engine?
Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 5:59pm On Aug 11, 2016
mobolaji88:

helloo guru01, you have done a tremedous job on your search engine thingy and i must say, its a very welcome idea, and an impressive stride at it.
"so here's the question, why dont you make your search engine opensource?"
i know u'll probably curse me for this in your locally focused mind.
but u would agree with me that you stand a 99% chance of hitting the world with your search engine if you make the opensource move....forget about u loosing grip of ur baby project... lookup linus travold on google.
you see, if you make this opensource, you will be like the linux pain in microsoft's ass. or more like the android pain in IOS ass. (I'm sure u get d idea)
there is no way you wont hit the world being opensource, you've got the nairaland team, coupled with the whole african team, not to mention the world working on making the first ever african opensource search engine.
BTW, this is an advice....a billion dollar advice...take it or leave it.
you'll be surprised someone is already making use of this piece of advice...

Thanks working on this
Re: A New Search Engine by akinjuly77(m): 4:19pm On Aug 18, 2016
Am sure you used Azizi search engine script , which is for my friend in moroco i did not have opportunity to visit the site but from all the complains of the other nairalanders, it is exactly the old version of the script .

Bro Guru you can now check for the new version of the script on the official site . Azizi has updated it .

Cheers !
Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 5:45pm On Aug 18, 2016
akinjuly77:
Am sure you used Azizi search engine script , which is for my friend in moroco i did not have opportunity to visit the site but from all the complains of the other nairalanders, it is exactly the old version of the script .

Bro Guru you can now check for the new version of the script on the official site . Azizi has updated it .

Cheers !
Lol!!! shocked
Re: A New Search Engine by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 18, 2016
This is usually the point where i say santa maria.

1 Like

Re: A New Search Engine by larisoft: 8:14pm On Aug 18, 2016
dhtml18:
This is usually the point where i say santa maria.

lol! its been a while, sire!
Re: A New Search Engine by Nobody: 8:58pm On Aug 18, 2016
is alright, just sach my goat!
Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 9:16pm On Aug 18, 2016
akinjuly77:
Cheers !
Bro Akin, how can you just assume that?
Re: A New Search Engine by Internetguru: 7:57am On Aug 19, 2016
akinjuly77:

Cheers !

LOL
Re: A New Search Engine by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 19, 2016
larisoft:

lol! its been a while, sire!
yeah right, guess you have been busy chopping all the money. Well, I am still here trying to help guru so that guru can help me sach for my goat.

3 Likes

Re: A New Search Engine by micodon(m): 6:58am On Sep 27, 2016
guru01:

You may be right according to your understanding, but I will like to get to that bridge where Php can not sustain the app.

OP how far?
Re: A New Search Engine by guru01(m): 9:43pm On Sep 29, 2016
micodon:

OP how far?
Will let you know when it's relaunch.
Re: A New Search Engine by micodon(m): 3:14pm On Jul 29, 2018
guru01:

My brother leave all these English for British.
The only reason your Php app is slow is due to your logic, and also because Php is not a strict language.
If you write Php the way you write your c++ you will notice improvement.
Beside this is just a start, there is always room for other languages.

just remembered this post. boss, how far did PHP take you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Signs That You Are Not Meant To Be A Programmer / Download All Phone Number Generator, Imei Tweaking And Bb Imei Gen. For Pc / *~ Omo-to-dun Voted Programming Section Poster Of The Year *~ Congratulations!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.