Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,250 members, 7,780,517 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:47 PM

I Hate Birthdays - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I Hate Birthdays (5888 Views)

Things You Hate To See On Nairaland / 8 Reasons Why I Hate Nigerians / I Hate All Animals! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Hate Birthdays by Ka: 8:46pm On Nov 16, 2005
I hate birthdays.

Hold on, hold on - let me clarify that. I don't hate other people celebrating their birthdays. I think it's a thing of joy that in this world where there is so much pain and suffering, people can take time out to dedicate at least one day of the year to par-tay.

What I mean is that I hate other people expecting me to celebrate my birthday like they do.

Of course, it wasn't always this way. When I was younger, I (like any normal kid) used to look forward to my birthday with much anticipation, eagerly expecting the cakes, drinks and other confectionery that was served during the celebration.

I think the link was broken when I went off to boarding school to do my secondary school education and had to stop (because my birthday fell well within term time). Of course, by the time I finished secondary school, birthdays were no longer a star attraction for me, and this indifference towards my birthday morphed into antipathy towards it during my university years. These days, I just look back and wonder what the whole point is.

I mean, if you really look at it, the things worth celebrating are the things that you've achieved. You celebrate them because the events remind you of a time of happiness... or a time of triumph over adversity... or they mark a stage in your life which shows you are progessing on your way to becoming an independent, well adjusted person in society.

So there are loads of events that I can certainly see worth celebrating because they fill you with happiness when you remember them...

...like passing your secondary school exams with flying colours...

...or getting your first job...

...or driving your first car...

...or your first meeting with the love of your life...

...or moving out to live on your own...

...or starting a website that has over six thousand registered members smiley  ...

...but for the life of me, I have no memory of anything on the day I was born! In fact, if anything, my mother should be celebrating it, not me - because not only did she have to put up with nine months of pregnancy, she also endured several hours of very painful childbirth! All (I am told) I did on that day was to yell in anger at being expelled from my warm and comfortable abode. And that's not something, in my opinion, that is worthy of any sort of celebration.

So the whole may carry on celebrating birthdays, but please leave me out of it. The next time I'm asked when my birthday is, I will say "31st of November". Or I might say "I consider that my life started the day I was conceived, but I have no idea exactly what day that was."

1 Like

Re: I Hate Birthdays by damygurl(f): 9:03pm On Nov 16, 2005
Birthday is an anniversary of the day on which u was born (or the celebration of it)!!! duh!! of cuz u don't have d memory dats cuz ur brain wasn't dat developed yet to remember stuff like dat!!!Birthday is like showing luv dat u r alive to witness dat day and for God 4 givin u da oppourtunity.
if u r dead then u won't be able to celebrate all the other stuff u listed!!!
it's a celebration of life!!!!
Re: I Hate Birthdays by Nike450(m): 9:09pm On Nov 16, 2005
celebration of life you say , then everyone should be celebrating it Everyday ,
Re: I Hate Birthdays by damygurl(f): 9:21pm On Nov 16, 2005
yea we should cuz it's not by our power or might but by God's grace!!! but Birthday is sorta special bcuz it marks d day u grow a year older!!!!
Re: I Hate Birthdays by Ka: 10:55pm On Nov 16, 2005
but Birthday is sorta special bcuz it marks d day u grow a year older!!!!
So what's special about a year? Why not celebrate your birth[b]date[/b] every month? Think of the benefits... twelve times the number of parties! (Too bad if you're born on the 31st of the month. smiley)

Of course the real reason everyone celebrates birthdays is because everyone else does so.
Re: I Hate Birthdays by hotangel2(f): 11:40pm On Nov 16, 2005
You don't have to celebrate each birthday. Just :mark" some bday's. Celebrating as in doing par-tay every year is just not reasonable. Like u have to do, 1 year old, 5 years old, 10 or 13 year old, 16 years old, sometimes 18 (if u didn't do 16), 21 years old, 30 years old, 50 years old, and if u like do the rest! smiley
Re: I Hate Birthdays by eniolatj(m): 10:01am On Nov 17, 2005
Birthday is a day that someone need to remember and be given glory the Our Creator. But if you look at it in another perspective its a day to remember and feel sad somehow because the day to die is moving closer.
Re: I Hate Birthdays by DASKACE(m): 2:05pm On Nov 17, 2005
I don't see anything special about birthdays, it just reminds you are getting older and really gives yah time to make some reflections bout your life. Thus askin yourself the simple question of achieving your set goals.

Some peeps wanna get married at 25 or some but b/4 then, must have made it really big to take a wife else, celebrating B.D's becomes meaningless.
Re: I Hate Birthdays by goodguy(m): 9:51pm On Nov 17, 2005
"So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom" (Psalm 90:12).
Re: I Hate Birthdays by hipcaramel(f): 11:32pm On Nov 17, 2005
we are all meant to celebrate every waking moment and day of our lives, thanking God for keeping us thus far. i dont think it's bad/wrong to celebrate your birthday because it's the day u were brought into the world. you dont have to have a big party if you dont want to, it's your choice.
Ka:

I hate birthdays.

Hold on, hold on - let me clarify that. I don't hate other people celebrating their birthdays. I think it's a thing of joy that in this world where there is so much pain and suffering, people can take time out to dedicate at least one day of the year to par-tay.

What I mean is that I hate other people expecting me to celebrate my birthday like they do.

Of course, it wasn't always this way. When I was younger, I (like any normal kid) used to look forward to my birthday with much anticipation, eagerly expecting the cakes, drinks and other confectionery that was served during the celebration.

I think the link was broken when I went off to boarding school to do my secondary school education and had to stop (because my birthday fell well within term time). Of course, by the time I finished secondary school, birthdays were no longer a star attraction for me, and this indifference towards my birthday morphed into antipathy towards it during my university years. These days, I just look back and wonder what the whole point is.

I mean, if you really look at it, the things worth celebrating are the things that you've achieved. You celebrate them because the events remind you of a time of happiness... or a time of triumph over adversity... or they mark a stage in your life which shows you are progessing on your way to becoming an independent, well adjusted person in society.

So there are loads of events that I can certainly see worth celebrating because they fill you with happiness when you remember them...

...like passing your secondary school exams with flying colours...

...or getting your first job...

...or driving your first car...

...or your first meeting with the love of your life...

...or moving out to live on your own...

...or starting a website that has over six thousand registered members smiley ...

...but for the life of me, I have no memory of anything on the day I was born! In fact, if anything, my mother should be celebrating it, not me - because not only did she have to put up with nine months of pregnancy, she also endured several hours of very painful childbirth! All (I am told) I did on that day was to yell in anger at being expelled from my warm and comfortable abode. And that's not something, in my opinion, that is worthy of any sort of celebration.

So the whole may carry on celebrating birthdays, but please leave me out of it. The next time I'm asked when my birthday is, I will say "31st of November". Or I might say "I consider that my life started the day I was conceived, but I have no idea exactly what day that was."
i agree with you that there are loads of events worth celebrating but just think if werent born, you wouldnt have any events to celebrate. just as people rejoiced on the day u were born, u should also rejoice as that day comes by each year.
Re: I Hate Birthdays by legovo(m): 3:03pm On Nov 19, 2005
shocked
this is a commemorationof your life ,
when the monry is there
         aaahh
nobody caution your thinking &  ideas !
Re: I Hate Birthdays by queen2(f): 6:18pm On Nov 19, 2005
*sign* smiley
Re: I Hate Birthdays by Greatpeter(m): 3:19pm On Dec 11, 2005
I don't hate birthday and I don't celebrate it either.
Re: I Hate Birthdays by icingbaby(f): 3:45am On Dec 12, 2005
i don't use to like birthday, since last year i have lrean to like it.
Re: I Hate Birthdays by Seun(m): 11:07pm On Dec 19, 2005
What happened last year to cause you to change your mind and like birthdays?
Re: I Hate Birthdays by goodguy(m): 11:24pm On Dec 19, 2005
She was probably given something she never thought of receiving.
Re: I Hate Birthdays by damygurl(f): 11:35pm On Dec 20, 2005
I just had to say this again! @}---Birthdayz Rock---{@! All the presents and the best part u get to have a cake fight!
Re: I Hate Birthdays by AndyBoomba: 9:03am On Nov 07, 2014
Me too probably

(1) (Reply)

Please Beware Of This Site.. It's A Big Scam!! / #10 Year Challenge: Funny Pictures / Clean Peugeot 4o6 For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.