Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names (17859 Views)

Muslim Women Are Reformists, And Not Sextoys - Sisters’ Circle Of Muslim Student / Meaning Of Muslim Names / The Irrationality Of Western Ideology And The Blind Faith Of Muslim Modernists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by Smellymouth: 6:20pm On May 13, 2016
AllstarZ:
Not just mispronunciation. Some are completely shy or rather scared of using their Muslim names.
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by SuPeRq(f): 7:47pm On May 13, 2016
Asalam Alaykum Warahmatullah Wabaraqatuhu what of Quadrah from Abdul Quadri??
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by hahn(m): 8:08pm On May 13, 2016
Newnas:

Sorry, but the Quran and sunnah are both from Allah.

Surah An-Najm, Verse 2-4:
مَا ضَلَّ صَاحِبُكُمْ وَمَا غَوَىٰ

Your companion (Muhammad SAW) has neither gone astray nor has erred.

وَمَا يَنطِقُ عَنِ الْهَوَىٰ

Nor does he speak of (his own) desire.

إِنْ هُوَ إِلَّا وَحْيٌ يُوحَىٰ

It is only an Inspiration that is inspired.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

Surah An-Nisa, Verse 115:
وَمَن يُشَاقِقِ الرَّسُولَ مِن بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُ الْهُدَىٰ وَيَتَّبِعْ غَيْرَ سَبِيلِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ نُوَلِّهِ مَا تَوَلَّىٰ وَنُصْلِهِ جَهَنَّمَ وَسَاءَتْ مَصِيرًا

And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers' way. We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell - what an evil destination.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

Surah Aal-e-Imran, Verse 31-32:
قُلْ إِن كُنتُمْ تُحِبُّونَ اللَّهَ فَاتَّبِعُونِي يُحْبِبْكُمُ اللَّهُ وَيَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ وَاللَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ

Say (O Muhammad SAW to mankind): "If you (really) love Allah then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Quran and the Sunnah), Allah will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving,

قُلْ أَطِيعُوا اللَّهَ وَالرَّسُولَ فَإِن تَوَلَّوْا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ لَا يُحِبُّ الْكَافِرِينَ

Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Obey Allah and the Messenger (Muhammad SAW)." But if they turn away, then Allah does not like the disbelievers.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

Surah Al-Hashr, Verse 7:
مَّا أَفَاءَ اللَّهُ عَلَىٰ رَسُولِهِ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْقُرَىٰ فَلِلَّهِ وَلِلرَّسُولِ وَلِذِي الْقُرْبَىٰ وَالْيَتَامَىٰ وَالْمَسَاكِينِ وَابْنِ السَّبِيلِ كَيْ لَا يَكُونَ دُولَةً بَيْنَ الْأَغْنِيَاءِ مِنكُمْ وَمَا آتَاكُمُ الرَّسُولُ فَخُذُوهُ وَمَا نَهَاكُمْ عَنْهُ فَانتَهُوا وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ

What Allah gave as booty (Fai') to His Messenger (Muhammad SAW) from the people of the townships, - it is for Allah, His Messenger (Muhammad SAW), the kindred (of Messenger Muhammad SAW), the orphans, Al-Masakin (the poor), and the wayfarer, in order that it may not become a fortune used by the rich among you. ]b]And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it), and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment.[/b]
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

So what do you say about the above verses.

It is full of threats. I will never serve something that applies the use of threats and coercion to gain worship. A simple "hello" would do. undecided
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by faari(f): 8:42pm On May 13, 2016
Ma sha Allah
I'm Toyyiba. Not Taibat like u grew up to be called. In d process of changing it officially even.

1 Like

Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by huntax(m): 8:58pm On May 13, 2016
mzteemarh:
I have tried to stopped people several times from calling me fatty instead of fatimah.
Even my dad is quilty of this, but what kind I do
Lmao... U know what's making me laugh? You seem to have already adopted Teemah
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by wexyee: 9:08am On May 14, 2016
mzteemarh:
I have tried to stopped people several times from calling me fatty instead of fatimah.
well wat do you knw! I think I just found my self a wife
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by Nobody: 4:19am On May 15, 2016
You have a beautiful name. I'm fond of the name. But it's cool if they call you Fatty. At least, it is shortened. I'm sure you wouldn't like them calling you Fatimo instead of Fatimah. Maa salam ya uhkti.

mzteemarh:
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by Nobody: 11:30am On May 15, 2016
Snipes009:
You have a beautiful name. I'm fond of the name. But it's cool if they call you Fatty. At least, it is shortened. I'm sure you wouldn't like them calling you Fatimo instead of Fatimah. Maa salam ya uhkti.

yeah I wouldn't like someone calling me "fatimo" that's the worst of it all lol.
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by ademoladeji(m): 11:41pm On May 15, 2016
yhermmie:
I'm proud of my Muslim name...Hassana

Are you twinx?
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by Newnas(m): 11:11am On May 16, 2016
SuPeRq:
Asalam Alaykum Warahmatullah Wabaraqatuhu
what of Quadrah from Abdul Quadri??

Qudrah is not good enough, though I wouldn't call it a bad name.

Qudrah means might/ability. And a person can only be mighty he/she can't be might.

It would have been acceptable to name her Qaadirah (note the elongation of the a).

even better than that is if she was named Amatul-Qadir this is the feminine equivalent of Abdul-Qodir.

Allah knows best.
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by SuPeRq(f): 11:30am On May 16, 2016
Newnas:

Qudrah is not good enough, though I wouldn't call it a bad name.

Qudrah means might/ability. And a person can only be mighty he/she can't be might.

It would have been acceptable to name her Qaadirah (note the elongation of the a).

even better than that is if she was named Amatul-Qadir this is the feminine equivalent of Abdul-Qodir.

Allah knows best.
jazakummullah Khayran
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by yhermmie(f): 12:08pm On May 16, 2016
ademoladeji:

Are you twinx?

No
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by Newnas(m): 1:59pm On May 16, 2016
SuPeRq:
jazakummullah Khayran
Aameen wa iyyaak
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by ademoladeji(m): 2:19pm On May 16, 2016
yhermmie:

No

Oiit ma'am
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by slimcious(m): 5:28pm On May 16, 2016
My name is abubakar_sidiq, people call me sadiq, sidiq,sodiq and muhd_sodiq, please which one is
right?
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by Newnas(m): 9:27am On May 17, 2016
slimcious:

My name is abubakar_sidiq, people call me sadiq, sidiq,sodiq and muhd_sodiq, please which one is
right?

As-Siddeeq is one of the nicknames of the most eminent companion of Allah's messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam. Meaning the extremely believing person.
This is because of his immediate belief in the message of Allah's messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam when he was called to Islam and when he was informed of the Isra and miraj.

So, you should be Abu Bakr As-Siddeeq.
You should try to learn more about the noble companion and first Khalifah of the Muslims. And also strive to emulate him. rodiyaLLaahu anhu.

He is also referred to as 'atiq. i.e the freed person because The Messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam said to him: You are the atiq of Allah. meaning you have been freed by Allah from hellfire.

Allah knows best.
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by QueenSalewa: 11:31pm On May 17, 2016
Newnas:

Only a joker answers to a corrupted Muslim name. Your freedom begins from what you accept as your name or your child's name.
'When the child is born, one of the first ways in which he is to be honoured is by giving him a good name, because a good name will have a good impact on the heart when it is first heard.'
--Almowardi

Haba!!!
So a name that is not Arabic is a corrupted name? Thinking Arabic names are better than our names is an inferiority complex.

The hadith that you quoted doesn't therefore mean "so give your child an Arabic name"
It means give your child a good name. If a name has a good meaning, particularly in reference to God, then it is a Muslim name, regardless of language. Islam is for mankind.
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by Newnas(m): 7:29am On May 18, 2016
QueenSalewa:

Haba!!!
So a name that is not Arabic is a corrupted name? Thinking Arabic names are better than our names is an inferiority complex.
The hadith that you quoted doesn't therefore mean "so give your child an Arabic name"
It means give your child a good name. If a name has a good meaning, particularly in reference to God, then it is a Muslim name, regardless of language. Islam is for mankind.

My Sister, you have misunderstood the OP.

The problem is not in bearing non-Arabic name. The problem is in mispronunciation of the Arabic names. That's what the post addressed.

Actually, we are not saying Arabic names are better than our local names. The names we are defending are Muslim/Islamic names not Arabic names. I hope you get the difference between the two.

No, an Islamic name in Arabic language is encouraged to be given to the child because the language of Islam is Arabic. The Quran was revealed with it, the messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam spoke it, the companions too etc.

Allah is all-Wise, and out of His wisdom, He has selected Arabic language and honoured it. Just as He honoured Ramadan among the months, Muhammad alyhissolaat wassalaam among the prophets, laylatul Qadir among the nights, Jumuah among the days, makkah among the cities.
There is no need to be jealous or envious. It is the favour of Allah, He gives whom He wills.

However there is nothing wrong with bearing a local name also, so far it doesn't contradict Islam by having meanings of idolatry and other sins. eg sangobiyi, ogundeyi, malomo, kosoko etc.

And there is nothing wrong with bearing more than one name. Allah knows best.
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by QueenSalewa: 12:22pm On May 18, 2016
Newnas:

My Sister, you have misunderstood the OP.

The problem is not in bearing non-Arabic name. The problem is in mispronunciation of the Arabic names. That's what the post addressed.

Actually, we are not saying Arabic names are better than our local names. The names we are defending are Muslim/Islamic names not Arabic names. I hope you get the difference between the two.

Jazak Allah khair for your response, I understand what you're saying..
I'm just saying the use of the word "corrupted Muslim name" is wrong. I think "localised" or "assimilated" is better. In particular, the way Yoruba is spoken, adding extra sounds to an muslim Arabic name just comes naturally.

Newnas:

No, an Islamic name in Arabic language is encouraged to be given to the child because the language of Islam is Arabic. The Quran was revealed with it, the messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam spoke it, the companions too etc.

Allah is all-Wise, and out of His wisdom, He has selected Arabic language and honoured it. Just as He honoured Ramadan among the months, Muhammad alyhissolaat wassalaam among the prophets, laylatul Qadir among the nights, Jumuah among the days, makkah among the cities.
There is no need to be jealous or envious. It is the favour of Allah, He gives whom He wills.

Nowhere is it encouraged as a religious teaching... Socially encouraged to identify a child with the islamic religion perhaps, yes.

Just like if the Scripture was revealed in France, for example, we'd be having this discussion on corrupted French names.
There is nothing inherently special about the Arabic language, in my opinion. The prophet was an arab and that is why the Quran was sent in Arabic, for him to understand.

Again, thanks for the response brother.
Re: Mispronunciation Of Muslim Names by Newnas(m): 5:24am On May 19, 2016
QueenSalewa:

Jazak Allah khair for your response, I understand what you're saying..
I'm just saying the use of the word "corrupted Muslim name" is wrong. I think "localised" or "assimilated" is better. In particular, the way Yoruba is spoken, adding extra sounds to an muslim Arabic name just comes naturally.

If a person could find it difficult to pronounce a simple name then you should expect him to find it more difficult to recite suratul fatiha correctly.

And that's one of the many problems we are facing in Yoruba land. I won't be surprised if statistics show that over 80% of our imams in Yoruba land cannot recite suratul fatiha correctly.

Nowhere is it encouraged as a religious teaching... Socially encouraged to identify a child with the islamic religion perhaps, yes.

Just like if the Scripture was revealed in France, for example, we'd be having this discussion on corrupted French names.
There is nothing inherently special about the Arabic language, in my opinion. The prophet was an arab and that is why the Quran was sent in Arabic, for him to understand.

Again, thanks for the response brother.

I don't want this to degenerate so I'll won't respond.

Anyway, I enjoin you to seek knowledge of Islam and ensure that your opinions are based on knowledge and certainty.

Allah knows best.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dealing With The Temptation To Show Off / Pictures That Excite Muslims About Ramadan / Say No To Boy/girl Friend. Go Marry!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.