Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,026 members, 7,807,028 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu (8976 Views)

Amaechi Responsible For Dividing APC - Magnus Abe / Atiku Meets North-east PDP, Says Buhari Dividing Nigeria Along Ethnic, Religion / APC Has Succeeded In Dividing Nigeria – Wike Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by tysontim(m): 7:24am On May 09, 2016
This is needed because IPOB claiming the whole eastern Nigeria and parts of North is just a pipe dream. The Oil in SS must be shared by all, I just pray they develop this oil producing communities because that is what matters. Now If there were to be Niger Delta Republic there will be program. Leaving the Igbos in SS is the same thing as leaving Igbos in charge Niger Delta country, blood is thicker than water. Leaving the Igbos in SS out of the Republic will give way to Ijaws to dominate the Minority and no one wants that. Continuing with Nigeria as it is, the country will still be stagnant or at worse move backwards.

Here is the solution

Foremost constitutional lawyer Prof. Ben Nwabueze has, meanwhile,
canvassed the regrouping of Nigeria's 36 states into six regions, as Senator Ike Ekweremadu suggested. The
proposed configuration, in a memorandum he submitted to the CDCC are:

Southern Region - comprising Akwa Ibom, Annang, Cross River, Degema,
Delta, Edo, Ogoja and Bayelsa communities, with the headquarters to be
mutually agreed upon.

Eastern region - comprising Abia, Anambra, Anioma (old Aboh and Asaba
divisions), Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo and Port Harcourt (old Ahoada and Port
Harcourt) communities with headquarters at Enugu.

Western Region - Ekiti, Kwara, Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Osun and Oyo states
- with headquarters at Ibadan.

Central Region - comprising Apa (Idoma), Benue, Jema'a (southern Zaria
- old Kachia, Jema' and Saminaka council areas), Kogi, Niger, Plateau
communities, with headquarters at Jos.

North-Eastern Region - having Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Katagun,
Taraba and Yobe communities, with headquarters at Maiduguri.

North-Western Region - comprising Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina,
Kebbi, Sokoto and Zamfara states, with headquarters in Kaduna.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by babyfaceafrica: 7:27am On May 09, 2016
K
Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by divine77(m): 7:27am On May 09, 2016
Good one
Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by Nobody: 7:30am On May 09, 2016
Now let's dissect the lumping. Look at the map before I begin...So you want to lump Akwa Ibom, Cross River, and then fly over Rivers and other SE states to then add Bayelsa and Edo? Is this how regions are created? What is the relationship in culture, blood/ancestry and geography/borders between Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers and Edo, or even Bayelsa? NONE; besides we don't share borders with these people....you are trying to fly over Rivers and SE states to lump us with these people we don't know? May thunder strike you there. Nonsense!

When you choose to lump people together it's based on culture, bloodline, ancestry and geographical proximity as in borders...when it comes to all of these, Akwa Ibom and Cross River are more related and better lumped with SE states and Rivers...this is common sense if you look at the map! Edo share border with SW states and culture, so they should be lumped with SW...this is common sense!

If you you cannot resolve this, then Biiafra remains a viable option geographically as it takes all of the SE and SS minus Edo...trouble solved otherwise you are creating another stup$id confusion seen with the current geographical setup!

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by excellencyabia1: 7:34am On May 09, 2016
Most of you people knows what good to do but will not because of self interest

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by tysontim(m): 7:34am On May 09, 2016
The 6 regions will just be like 6 small countries in a big country.

This way every one gets to develop his own region. having everything except the military. The Federal Military should consist of equal number of individuals from each zone

4 Likes

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by gidgiddy: 7:36am On May 09, 2016
tysontim:
This is needed because IPOB claiming the whole eastern Nigeria and parts of North is just a pipe dream. The Oil in SS must be shared by all, I just pray they develop this oil producing communities because that is what matters. Now If there were to be Niger Delta Republic there will be program. Leaving the Igbos in SS is the same thing as leaving Igbos in charge Niger Delta country, blood is thicker than water. Leaving the Igbos in SS out of the Republic will give way to Ijaws to dominate the Minority and no one wants that. Continuing with Nigeria as it is, the country will still be stagnant or at worse move backwards.

Here is the solution

Foremost constitutional lawyer Prof. Ben Nwabueze has, meanwhile,
canvassed the regrouping of Nigeria's 36 states into six regions, as Senator Ike Ekweremadu suggested. The
proposed configuration, in a memorandum he submitted to the CDCC are:

Southern Region - comprising Akwa Ibom, Annang, Cross River, Degema,
Delta, Edo, Ogoja and Bayelsa communities, with the headquarters to be
mutually agreed upon.

Eastern region - comprising Abia, Anambra, Anioma (old Aboh and Asaba
divisions), Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo and Port Harcourt (old Ahoada and Port
Harcourt) communities with headquarters at Enugu.

Western Region - Ekiti, Kwara, Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Osun and Oyo states
- with headquarters at Ibadan.

Central Region - comprising Apa (Idoma), Benue, Jema'a (southern Zaria
- old Kachia, Jema' and Saminaka council areas), Kogi, Niger, Plateau
communities, with headquarters at Jos.

North-Eastern Region - having Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Katagun,
Taraba and Yobe communities, with headquarters at Maiduguri.

North-Western Region - comprising Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina,
Kebbi, Sokoto and Zamfara states, with headquarters in Kaduna.

This is stale. The North will not allow regionalism in Nigeria because it simply does not favour them. Any attempt to introduce a bill at the National Assembly will be voted out by them with their numerical strenght. The unitary system of Government currently practiced in Nigeria allows the North to keep its strangle hold on the political life of Nigeria. Ojukwu went to Ghana to negotiate the same thing but the North could not stick to it, hence Ojukwu declared Biafra. The only two options are: Do what Yorubas have done which is to accept the status quo and northern domination or

Do what Igbos have done which is to agitate for a separate country.

Anyone who thinks there any options outside these two is just fooling him or her self

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by Flexherbal(m): 7:37am On May 09, 2016
I think I like this.
Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by TPAND(f): 7:41am On May 09, 2016
How come port harcourt that is in the heart of the south south... Drafted to the eastern region. Ibo people and wahyo Shaaa.

5 Likes

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by tysontim(m): 7:44am On May 09, 2016
gidgiddy:

This is stale. The North will not allow regionalism in Nigeria because it simply does not favour them. Any attempt to introduce a bill at the National Assembly will be voted out by them with their numerical strenght. The unitary system of Government currently practiced in Nigeria allows the North to keep its strangle hold on the political life of Nigeria. Ojukwu went to Ghana to negotiate the same thing but the North could not stick to it, hence Ojukwu declared Biafra. The only two options are: Do what Yorubas have done which is to accept the status quo and northern domination or

Anyone who thinks there any options outside these two is just fooling him or her self

I think if the South as it is can unite in NASS, then convince some middle belt reps, then it will be passed the only problem is whether Buhari will sign, that is the main problem

2 Likes

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by nrexzy: 7:47am On May 09, 2016
I Concur..

1 Like

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by YourMrBoo: 7:50am On May 09, 2016
I think this will do?

1 Like

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by tysontim(m): 7:52am On May 09, 2016
TPAND:
How come port harcourt that is in the heart of the south south... Drafted to the eastern region. Ibo people and wahyo Shaaa.

Port Harcourt is only living in past glory, the current system in Nigeria will soon turn it to Warri, it is Lagos that has everything in Nigeria that is the truth. Any region that gets PH did not get a big thing. but any Region that gets Lagos gets the IGR of most African countries. Even if Lagos were to be a no mans land Geographical it is still in the west, you cant wish it to the North or East.

2 Likes

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by gidgiddy: 7:52am On May 09, 2016
tysontim:

I think if the South as it is can unite in NASS, then convince some middle belt reps, then it will be passed the only problem is whether Buhari will sign, that is the main problem

Even if the entire South unites with the Middle belt, it will still not meet the 'two third' benchmark needed to pass such a bill because the North will definitely vote massively against it. It is simply not possible
Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by chikel2000(m): 7:55am On May 09, 2016
Hmm it won't work cos of 3 groups; The presidency, the north n the Yorubas

2 Likes

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by tysontim(m): 7:56am On May 09, 2016
gidgiddy:

Even if the entire South unites with the Middle belt, it will still not meet the 'two third' benchmark needed to pass such a bill because the North will definitely vote massively against it. It is simply not possible

To achieve your Aim you have to compromise that is how politics is, Each region that this oil blocks offer the Northen Senators and reps some oil blocks, and Lagos offer them some prime real estate. I bet you they can't refuse this offer. I am only worried about the President not NASS

2 Likes

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by LoveMachine(m): 7:57am On May 09, 2016
Will the eastern region reclaim the lost Igbo speaking areas of Benue?

2 Likes

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by oshe11: 7:59am On May 09, 2016
gidgiddy:

wats ur brand?
Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by tysontim(m): 7:59am On May 09, 2016
LoveMachine:

No that is part of the compromise, besides Benue won't have to be Afraid as they have their own region free from the core North
Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by comos: 7:59am On May 09, 2016
have PH people agree to be in South east ?
Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by Nobody: 8:03am On May 09, 2016
comos:

Obviously you are yorruba, and have never been to Port Harcourt. I grew up in Port Harcourt...it's an Igbo city; I learn little Igbo there! Make out time, I'll take you there...you will be shocked and forever remain quiet!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by tysontim(m): 8:03am On May 09, 2016
chikel2000:
Hmm it won't work cos of 3 groups; The presidency, the north n the Yorubas

Granted the Yoruba's do not always side with the rest of the South, but I believe they are intelligent enough. Besides every one is tired of the problems Nigeria is facing even the Yorubas. What Nigeria need is economic progress and every will soon forget ethnicity

2 Likes

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by tysontim(m): 8:05am On May 09, 2016
comos:

Port Harcourt is only living in past glory, the
current system in Nigeria will soon turn it to
Warri, it is Lagos that has everything in Nigeria
that is the truth. Any region that gets PH did not
get a big thing. but any Region that gets Lagos
gets the IGR of most African countries. Even if
Lagos were to be a no mans land Geographical it
is still in the west, you cant wish it to the North
or East.
Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by tysontim(m): 8:17am On May 09, 2016
uduak2016:
Now let's dissect the lumping. Look at the map before I begin...So you want to lump Akwa Ibom, Cross River, and then fly over Rivers and other SE states to then add Bayelsa and Edo? Is this how regions are created? What is the relationship in culture, blood/ancestry and geography/borders between Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers and Edo, or even Bayelsa? NONE; besides we don't share borders with these people....you are trying to fly over Rivers and SE states to lump us with these people we don't know? May thunder strike you there. Nonsense!

When you choose to lump people together it's based on culture, bloodline, ancestry and geographical proximity as in borders...when it comes to all of these, Akwa Ibom and Cross River are more related and better lumped with SE states and Rivers...this is common sense if you look at the map! Edo share border with SW states and culture, so they should be lumped with SW...this is common sense!

If you you cannot resolve this, then Biiafra remains a viable option geographically as it takes all of the SE and SS minus Edo...trouble solved otherwise you are creating another stup$id confusion seen with the current geographical setup!

Lastly, apparently the people that created this geographical lumping did not look at the Nigerian map. First they lumped Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Edo, Bayelsa as Southern...what's southern about this? The last time I checked, Cross River and Akwa Ibom are Eastern...in fact innermost East if you look at the map. Again, they lopped SE states, Port Harcourt, Asaba and termed it Eastern? There is nothing Eastern about this if you look at the map. Stop this confusion...SE and SS minus Edo are are in the East!

I know you pointed out the truth, but look at it this way, If the whole Eastern Region were to be put together, Nigerian government won't approve This Regionals the only way to get that is through Biafra, and Biafra is still a distant dream. this proposal is more realistic.
Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by meccuno: 8:22am On May 09, 2016
LoveMachine:
please,people have been taking about the lands igbos lost to rivers from imo and abia states. But I don't know about the land in benue state....please can you explain that to me?
Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by gidgiddy: 8:23am On May 09, 2016
tysontim:

To achieve your Aim you have to compromise that is how politics is, Each region that this oil blocks offer the Northen Senators and reps some oil blocks, and Lagos offer them some prime real estate. I bet you they can't refuse this offer. I am only worried about the President not NASS

I'm an Igbo man. My aim is no longer regionalism. My aim is to get out of Nigeria, create my own country and administer myself. Regionalism is still a good thing though, but it will never happen in Nigeria. The last national conference held in 2014 is testament to that fact. To the average Notherner, there is no difference between regionalism and granting Oduduwa,Biafra and Niger Delta Republics.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by Nobody: 8:26am On May 09, 2016
tysontim:

I know you pointed out the truth, but look at it this way, If the whole Eastern Region were to be put together, Nigerian government won't approve This Regionals the only way to get that is through Biafra, and Biafra is still a distant dream. this proposal is more realistic.

Well said. But you have to see my point to avoid problems as we have now...it's like lumping SE states with Ondo and Kwara by jumping over Bayelsa, Edo, Delta to include them(Ondo and Kwara) in SE region. Makes no sense, that's exactly what they are doing by lumping Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers with faraway states like Edo and Bayelsa...they share no border, bloodline and culture with these states/people.

Solution: Lump Delta minus Asaba...Warri, Edo and Bayelsa together. Akwa Ibom and Cross River should remain with people they share border, culture, blood and ancestry with for thousands of yrs..these are SE states and Rivers. This is not about oil...Cross River has no oil!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by Nobody: 8:31am On May 09, 2016
Some of you here are very dumb. How's Edo and Yoruba similar in culture? Have you guys ever travelled out of your states before to see for yourselves? Southern Nigeria will consist of Edo, Rivers, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Delta states. Simply cos Edo shares a boundary with Ondo doesn't make it SW and Simply cos it shares a boundary with Kogi doesn't make it NC. Sometimes the way you talk makes one wonder the type of school and training some of you had. Is Ebonyi NC simply cos they share a boundary with Benue? Is Anambra SS simply cos it shares a boundary with Delta? Is Rivers SE cos it shares a boundary with Imo and Abia?

3 Likes

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by YourMrBoo: 8:38am On May 09, 2016
osabuohein:
Some of you here are very dumb. How's Edo and Yoruba similar in culture? Have you guys ever travelled out of your states before to see for yourselves? Southern Nigeria will consist of Edo, Rivers, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Delta states. Simply cos Edo shares a boundary with Ondo doesn't make it SW and Simply cos it shares a boundary with Kogi doesn't make it NC. Sometimes the way you talk makes one wonder the type of school and training some of you had. Is Ebonyi NC simply cos they share a boundary with Benue? Is Anambra SS simply cos it shares a boundary with Delta? Is Rivers SE cos it shares a boundary with Imo and Abia?

You are an illiterate... How can you be using Nigeria's politicized geography in addressing your point.

Nigeria geopolitical zones are fraud.

Tell me if Anambra is more eastern than calabar, but that's what Nigeria politics make us to believe.

Go and study your map and make nice conclusions.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by Nobody: 8:41am On May 09, 2016
osabuohein:

You are a big dummy...very big one indeed. People are lumped together based on culture, bloodline, ancestry and geography/borders. Edo shares all of these lumping parameters with SW than any other region. SW and Edo share Obas....this didn't just happened, it took yrs of assimilation and interactions for this to happen. I don't need witch doctor to tell me that Oshiomole or Anenih have yoruba ancestry...you can tell easily by their looks and culture. You don't need someone to tell you that Asaba and Port Harcourt are Igbo regions...this is evident if you go there! Likewise with Akwa Ibom and Cross River, we share culture, language, bloodline, ancestry, food and geography more with SE states and Rivers than others...common sense is we remain with this people otherwise you are creating serious confusion and friction in the future as seen with the status quo.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by Nobody: 8:44am On May 09, 2016
YourMrBoo:

You are an illiterate... How can you be using Nigeria politic geography in addressing your point.

Nigeria geopolitical zones are fraud.

Tell me if Anambra is more eastern than calabar, but that's what Nigeria politics make us to believe.

Go and study your map and make nice conclusions.

Don't mind him. You should know where he is from SW...causing confusion in Nigeria since 1914!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Instead Of Dividing Nigeria This Is Better -Ekweremadu by tysontim(m): 8:45am On May 09, 2016
osabuohein:

If this your proposal is the one we are talking about then say by by to regionalization, Hausas Igbod and Yorubas won't agree to this. You don't know politics so I'll forgive you. People who are seasoned politicians wrote the 6 regions the states will be in. It is done in such a way that no region will have all the major oil producing states, so that they will be a level playing field for all.

Putting all the major oil producing states in one region is a no, no for the rest of Nigeria. My brother it will take politics to achieve this and politics is all about compromise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Malami: Corruption Declining Under Buhari, We Are Getting It Right / Oshiomhole Urges Nigerians To Shun Riots, Denounces Naira Swap Policy / ‘Strong Leadership’ — Biden Commends Tinubu, ECOWAS Intervention In Niger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.