Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,031 members, 7,807,062 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. (854 Views)

In Four Sentences, Write A Short Romantic Story. / If You Were Asked To Write A Book About Your Life, What Would The Title Be? / How To Write A Letter To Apply For Loan In Your Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by Nobody: 7:28am On May 09, 2016
I did something today that most people would consider foolish. I've suspended a business project so that I would have time to write a book.

Part of me feels as though I've made a mistake, but at the same time, I also feel it is a step in the right direction.

I feel like it was a mistake because decisions such as this are a big deal in today's world. For one, it's completely unexpected, and goes against the idea that we should pursue ideas and endeavors with a strong possibility of making money. And while I will be the first person to admit that money is a vital necessity in life, I also feel that a person should not devote their entire life trying to attain more of it.

No matter what we do in life there will be trade offs, or what is considered "opportunity costs".

Opportunity cost basically means that virtually everything you do, regardless of what it is, costs you something. One example many of you might be familiar with is the exchange of an email address for a free ebook or information packet on the Internet. True, this ebook/pdf didn't cost you any money, but it did cost you your email address.

Another example would be the free lunch scenario, where someone takes you out for lunch and pays the check. Again, another opportunity that didn't cost you a direct financial expense, but it did cost you an hour of your time, and depending on what happened during this lunch, you either gained something of value or lost precious time you could have otherwise spent creating or doing something for yourself.

For me, while I don't doubt that building a business could potentially be very advantageous in the long run, there is no guarantee of that. Yes, generally speaking, businesses generate more revenue and have substantially more earning potential than books. However, it's not a universal rule of thumb.

There are no guarantees that this new business venture would have succeeded, just as there are no guarantees that my book won't. There are risks and rewards to be considered on both sides. And what it boils down to is what you choose to do.

Even if this turns out to be a dead end and waste of time, I still won't regret it. For the simple fact that it is what I want to do. I didn't make this decision hastily or without regard to what I could possibly be giving up by suspended my most recent project. I've always wanted to do more with my writing, and I believe that if I don't take the time to pursue it now, while the opportunity (and time) exists, it will be lost to me. Maybe not forever, but there definitely won't be any time to pursue my writing in the near future, because I will be preoccupied with other things. (Like another business venture or project.)

So yes, I'm going to write a book. I'll post more updates in the days to come. I'm looking forward to this adventure. God willing it will be an extremely fruitful experience. smiley

1 Like

Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by Massdamm(m): 7:30am On May 09, 2016
Wish u all the best
Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by Nobody: 7:40am On May 09, 2016
Massdamm:
Wish u all the best

Thank you. I will share updates on my progress. Maybe my efforts will provide answers or insight for others who are wanting to do the same.
Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by Massdamm(m): 7:41am On May 09, 2016
U ar welcum
radragan:

Thank you. I will share updates on my progress. Maybe my efforts will provide answers or insight for others who are wanting to do the same.
Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by cyberprince8(m): 8:12am On May 09, 2016
I wish u good luck sire
Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by Nobody: 8:31am On May 09, 2016
cyberprince8:
I wish u good luck sire

Thank you. I'm already working on building a site to blog about my work and share updates on my progress. Once it finish, I will begin writing. smiley
Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by MathsChic(f): 9:31am On May 09, 2016
radragan:

Thank you. I'm already working on building a site to blog about my work and share updates on my progress. Once it finish, I will begin writing. smiley
I would love to read your book when done.
Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by Nobody: 9:35am On May 09, 2016
MathsChic:

I would love to read your book when done.

If you follow my posts on Nairaland, I plan to release a lot of material before its release. It's going to be a quite lengthy piece, and expand a great deal of full length books and short stories. But I will post a more detailed post later today on what this story will be about. I hope it interests you, and others. smiley
Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by MathsChic(f): 10:05am On May 09, 2016
radragan:

If you follow my posts on Nairaland, I plan to release a lot of material before its release. It's going to be a quite lengthy piece, and expand a great deal of full length books and short stories. But I will post a more detailed post later today on what this story will be about. I hope it interests you, and others. smiley
I'll be looking forward to it.
Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by AfricanApple(f): 10:36am On May 09, 2016
if it was anywhere in the world but Nigeria, I would agree with you. writers hardly make it. most writers are business men, government workers etc. you could do the same. do your business, at the same time, write your book.
However, I wish you best of luck
Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 09, 2016
AfricanApple:
if it was anywhere in the world but Nigeria, I would agree with you. writers hardly make it. most writers are business men, government workers etc. you could do the same. do your business, at the same time, write your book.
However, I wish you best of luck

There are just as many entrepreneurs and business owners who fail also. In my eyes, the rate of failure is about equal. The only real difference is that a business offers better revenue potential. But we'll see how it all goes. It's also why I plan to share as much about my process as possible, because either way, success or failure, I think it would still provide insight for aspiring writers. Maybe even some existing ones as well.

But we'll see. Thanks for your well wishes! I will need them. smiley
Re: I'm Going To Write A Book. Wish Me Luck. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 04, 2016
Hi friends!

I'm posting this update to the thread to let everyone know that I will begin writing my book and sharing the experience on my website, beginning this week.

The website is called Making Genesis, and can be viewed at www.GenesisCovenantSaga.com/blog.

I hope to see you on the site, and in the days to come, I will periodically return to this thread to post new information and share updates on my progress.

I look forward to connecting with you soon!

Be blessed!

(1) (Reply)

Indomie Promo To Win 150k / Trials / In The Evening Of My Days (A Poem)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.