Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,489 members, 7,770,199 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:15 AM

What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. (33640 Views)

Experts And Builders In The House, Kindly Advise! / ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** / VERY IMPORTANT: Why Nigerian Civil Engineers Blame Architects/their Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by HOLAROCKDAY(m): 9:03am On May 09, 2016
To the civil Engineers, Builders in the forum.
Base on my pictures below, A friend of mine sent me this pic asking me what type of slab it is. And where can it be use, the reason of putting the waffles ball in between the reinforcement. To cut the story short, an explanation on the slab. I believe you will help me out with these.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Ebubeslym(m): 9:07am On May 09, 2016
It is called a bubble deck or bubble slab....

It makes floors thinner and reduces concrete weight.
This type of slab is believed to save cost because the amount of concrete needed is a lot more less than the normal heavy all concrete slabs.

The areas between columns in a solid slab more or less have limited structural effect beyond adding extra weight to the structure, so those blue balls you see are placed between layers of reinforced welded steel and an internal lattice girder which when casted produces a slab that is 35% lighter...

Cheers.

122 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by HOLAROCKDAY(m): 9:46am On May 09, 2016
Ebubeslym:

This type of slab is believed to save cost because the amount of concrete needed is a lot more less than the normal heavy all concrete slabs.

The areas between columns in a solid slab more or less have limited structural effect beyond adding extra weight to the structure, so those blue balls you see are placed between layers of reinforced welded steel and an internal lattice girder which when casted produces a slab that is 35% lighter...

Cheers.
Thank u,........ Am very greatful

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by HOLAROCKDAY(m): 9:47am On May 09, 2016
I need more more explanation......... Will b glad to have more
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Nobody: 11:00am On May 09, 2016

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by true2home(m): 5:10pm On May 09, 2016
The above explanations covered the idea for its use. I will not recommend it in Nigeria because the method requires close supervision and clear structural mathematical calculation. Less me just say there is less room for mistake when building such deck. The iron used has to be the right Fy and the concrete right Fc as well. Concrete characteristic is compression strength, while iron's is tension. Tension is experience in the bottom of a slab while compression is exact on the top section of a slab. if the bottom section does not deform excessively, then the concrete at the bottom area of a slab do not serve much engineering purpose other then composition for the iron rod. Anyways, i have to stop here before i loss non-engineering NL

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by msogunro: 6:47pm On May 09, 2016
A similar application is the use of rigid foam panels. Use of the panels help to reduce the amount of concrete needed and weight of the slab as @Ebubeslym has pointed out, among other benefits.

I've been researching it to reduce costs for my upcoming build, but it seems to be rather expensive since the panels will have to be imported.

6 Likes

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by justicejay(m): 6:51am On May 10, 2016
I don't know too, am waiting for answer too.
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Safemode(m): 6:52am On May 10, 2016
HOLAROCKDAY:
I need more more explanation......... Will b glad to have more
two people v explained before.
its done to reduce amount of concrete

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Nobody: 6:53am On May 10, 2016
Please, stop posting such because i don't know when We may get there
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by HopeAlive14(m): 6:56am On May 10, 2016
Innovation at it's peak.

Technology is advancing.

3 Likes

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Myself2(m): 6:57am On May 10, 2016
Safemode:
two people v explained before.
its done to reduce amount of concrete

Abi oooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by OCTAVO: 6:57am On May 10, 2016
Ah?
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by labamo07(m): 6:58am On May 10, 2016
EVILFOREST:
Your moniker already state where you belong. Don't you see black workers there

1 Like

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Lanre01(m): 6:59am On May 10, 2016
Mehn this guys are soooo creative #Awesome mehn
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by youngwarlocks: 7:00am On May 10, 2016
cool

1 Like

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Lionhearted: 7:01am On May 10, 2016
EVILFOREST:

Rather shallow.

Infos like this need to be shared.

Who knows, you might be among those that will get us there.

6 Likes

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by youngwarlocks: 7:02am On May 10, 2016
Ebubeslym:

Cheers.

you seem experienced, can we be friends?, I want to know more
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Ahmed0336(m): 7:02am On May 10, 2016
A
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by dhesire(m): 7:03am On May 10, 2016
It's waffle, bubble or hollow deck/slab
As said above, it's to reduce weight, especially in multi storey buildings.

It's common in Nigeria, I sighted first about 13 yrs ago when joined the construction industry.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Nobody: 7:03am On May 10, 2016
wow
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by boriswole: 7:06am On May 10, 2016
A company in Abuja called Cubic Homes already manufactures the polystyrene blocks. No need to import

msogunro:
A similar application is the use of rigid foam panels. Use of the panels help to reduce the amount of concrete needed and weight of the slab as @Ebubeslym has pointed out, among other benefits.

I've been researching it to reduce costs for my upcoming build, but it seems to be rather expensive since the panels will have to be imported.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by dannie007(m): 7:10am On May 10, 2016
Its serves so many purposes!

* Reduces the amount of Concrete required in the General Slab (save cost).

* Helps in reducing the Effect of the Concrete on the structure in General.

* Serves as a sound prove!

* Helps reduces the effect of heat the concrete is to emit in a hot region! Like the Northern part where their Sun is hot like Hell!.

That's few amongs the ones I know!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Seuncoded(f): 7:13am On May 10, 2016
Good Morning Nairalanders #Seuncoded
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by dododawa1: 7:16am On May 10, 2016
easy answer =bubble slab and to save concrete money,BUT to try this in water lodged area
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Nobody: 7:17am On May 10, 2016
angry who u epp? Who u epp? Who u epp? U don baFf? Who u serve angry don't slam my door what is wrong with you angry
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by nrexzy: 7:21am On May 10, 2016
Ebubeslym:

Cheers.
Bros ur School fees no waste.....

11 Likes

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Idydarling(f): 7:24am On May 10, 2016
educative...
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by najoe07(m): 7:28am On May 10, 2016
As someone has rightly pointed, it reduces the volume of concrete, it sound proofs, temperature regulation due to the void in the concrete. It is worth to know that this type of slabs are very expensive and they use more reinforcement compared to flat slab. Hollow bricks can be used as well and the result is fantastic! Here is one I supervised. (Waffle slab or I call it insulated ribbed slab)

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by oshe11: 7:43am On May 10, 2016
I'm sorry for deviating!

But my fellow Nairalanders(Civil Engineers),

Please can U link me up with any site where I cn get Civil Engineering Projects and their complete materials?
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by Emy4u(m): 7:49am On May 10, 2016
Hollow concrete slab
Re: What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. by talk2riel: 7:50am On May 10, 2016
It increases the head room in floor by eliminating drop beams in slabs.

modified one of the site am currently working on.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Land, Houses For Sale @ Magboro (makógi, mápárá Etc @ Back Of MFM Prayer City) / Owner Of Mansion Swept Away By Flood In Anambra Threatens To Kill Himself (Photo / Building A (12 Flats) Mini Estate In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.