Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,753 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

I Want To Help People Do More And Go Farther With Their Writing. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Want To Help People Do More And Go Farther With Their Writing. (715 Views)

8 Things Successful People Do Before Breakfast / Morning Vibes With Dr Jerry - The First-episode 167/things Successful People Do / GTBank Launches Contest To Help Writers Secure Publishing Deals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Help People Do More And Go Farther With Their Writing. by Nobody: 6:08pm On May 09, 2016
TL;DR (stands for "Too Long, Didn't Read". It's basically a very short, summarized version of the content below. It doesn't cover everything in the piece, just glosses over the main point.)
I'm going to put together a website and document my experiences while writing a book. The goal is to share insights that I believe will help other writers do more and go farther with their work

No matter what I'm working on or doing in life, I tend to always approach things with an entrepreneurial mindset. Because despite what a lot of people think, entrepreneurship is about a lot more than starting a business. It's a way of thinking, a lifestyle, a mindset. It's HOW you do things, not necessarily WHAT you do.

Earlier today, I mentioned that I was abandoning a business venture to pursue writing a fiction series. Some of my friends think I'm crazy, but there are a few who understand my reasons for doing so. (I will explain later)

And while the most obvious reason is because I want to write this book, (actually, I would say that it's more like that I HAVE to.), there are plenty of other reasons why, as well. The main one being, I want to help people get more out of their own writing.

A few months ago, I started a seminar called The Entrepreneur Writer. It was also a newsletter, but that version was not as insightful or informative as the seminar. During the 2-hour event, I talked about how I applied entrepreneurial and business thinking to sell more information products in the past. I outlined my strategies in vivid detail, and offered people a chance to read through the actual notes I used when forming my marketing strategy. People loved it because they were learning something new. I loved it because I was helping them learn.

In other words, I was creating value, and it felt great! And I'd like to do that again, though this time, I'd like to do it with creative writing, instead of information products.

I've read a lot of commentary from writers on the web, offering tips, strategies and advice to keep aspiring and new writers inspired, motivated and focused on their work. Which is fine and good, but at the same time, the one thing I've noticed is that many of those offering the advice, are just repeating the same tactics they've heard from other people. And while I do believe some of it is true to a degree, I don't believe it helps anyone to simply repeat what everyone else is saying or doing.

Just because everyone says it's the way, doesn't mean that it is. Likewise, just because I say that it isn't the way, does not mean that the advice you're receiving won't work. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. It's in the results. A lot of people, regardless of their industry or career path, like to offer advice, but even fewer will go the extra mile to prove what they're saying will actually work. Instead, they leverage their past experience as valid proof of what they say works. I'm pretty sure you've met or seen a few. The kind of people who earn just a little bit of success in one area, then strut around as if they know any and everything about what it takes to be successful in any endeavor.

I'm not saying all writers do this, but I have noticed too many who do. They sell one ebook, and next thing you know they're a "best-selling author" and telling you about mastering the millionaire mindset. But rather than complain about what people don't do, I'll just offer up a better solution.

In the process of writing my own book/story, I'll share much of my process with you. The good and the bad. The successes and the failures. What works and what doesn't.

I'll read, watch and listen to everything I can find on novel writing, creativity, book marketing and publishing, overcoming writer's block and a lack of ideas, and more. I'll test it, figure out what works, and then put it all together for you to use and apply, and hopefully, allow you to start generating some momentum from your ideas and work.

And the only thing it will cost you, is your time.

You'll have to do a lot of reading to keep up, of course, but that's all that will be required of you to access this information. I should charge for it, because I know I could use the money, but I won't. I'll put it on a free website so that anyone who has an Internet connected device can get this information at anytime without having to spend more money to learn.

Why? Because charging a fee will shift my focus from writing my book, to maintaining this service. I could charge a fee and still focus on my book, however, I'll still be beholden to subscribers. Because instead of readers commenting on a blog, they will be paying customers offering reviews on a service, and if the customers aren't happy with the product, guess what happens? No more product! I just don't want to get myself into another situation (as I've done in the past) where I'm trying to build one thing, but my focus is completely disrupted by something else.

Besides, I don't want this website to be the driving force behind my revenue and earnings, I want the book to do that. Which means I need to be sure the majority of my focus is on completing my book, not building a premium website. Make sense?

I've already begun work on the site, and it will be up and ready by tomorrow. A week from there, and I'll have enough material on the site to get you started, and hopefully, on your way to earning and getting more from your work.

So stay tuned, and I'll be in touch soon.

Be blessed!

Ra
Re: I Want To Help People Do More And Go Farther With Their Writing. by ClassCaptain(m): 6:17pm On May 09, 2016
I believe in this
Re: I Want To Help People Do More And Go Farther With Their Writing. by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 09, 2016
ClassCaptain:
I believe in this

Thank you. I hope it offers tremendous value to you and other writers once things get underway. smiley
Re: I Want To Help People Do More And Go Farther With Their Writing. by Profkomolafe(m): 7:47pm On May 09, 2016
I wish to be your disciple.
Re: I Want To Help People Do More And Go Farther With Their Writing. by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 09, 2016
Profkomolafe:
I wish to be your disciple.

Well pray that I do a good job of teaching so you'll learn a lot and grow as a writer. smiley

1 Like

Re: I Want To Help People Do More And Go Farther With Their Writing. by ClassCaptain(m): 4:38pm On Jun 15, 2016
radragan:

Well pray that I do a good job of teaching so you'll learn a lot and grow as a writer. smiley

Bros when this ish dey start..
Re: I Want To Help People Do More And Go Farther With Their Writing. by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 09, 2016
ClassCaptain:

Bros when this ish dey start..

I actually started the site a few weeks ago, but took it down because it wasn't generating the interest I had hoped. I wasn't expecting a massive flow of traffic, but I was estimating a lot more than it was doing. I'm working on a new approach and hope to have it up soon. Will post word when I do.
Re: I Want To Help People Do More And Go Farther With Their Writing. by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 04, 2016
Hi friends!

I'm posting this update to the thread to let everyone know that I will begin writing my book and sharing the experience on my website, beginning this week.

The website is called Making Genesis, and can be viewed at www.GenesisCovenantSaga.com/blog.

As stated above, the website is free, and you are under no obligation to sign up or pay for anything to access my material and resources when available. Somethings will have a price tag attached, but for the most part over 95% of what I offer will not.

I hope to see you on the site, and in the days to come, I will periodically return to this thread to post new information and share updates on my progress.

I look forward to connecting with you soon!

Be blessed!

(1) (Reply)

Happily Ever After 5 / Pun Kitchen (pls Support Me By Reading And Commenting / Why The Moon Wasnt Sighted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.