Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? (34783 Views)

"I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? / To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by GoldenLady1: 8:45pm On May 11, 2016
You should do what God lays in your heart. I know someone who had their tithe but was prompted to give it to a sister in the church. The girl was so surprised and grateful because she had been praying for God to give her the balance she required for her tuition. Both of them were blessed by it.

I've also on occasion been moved to give what would be considered tithe to an individual. Each time I was immediately blessed. Assuming you have that relationship with God then go with what you're led to do.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by dorox(m): 8:45pm On May 11, 2016
Olugbenga28:
Bro, God gave u 100% and after eating ur own 90%, u now want to use God's 10%...my advice for u is either u leave the boy @ home or use ur 90% if not u will just pay d fee in vain if u use ur tithe cos God himself MAY frustrate the boy's effort in school cos its HIS share u are using n u will still pray to the same God to help ur brother pass his exams...so how will wen u are using his share...same thing, u don't use ur tithe as hospital bill cos its God dat heals n yet u are using his share to supposedly cure the sick.

This your god is worse than the mafia, why worship him?
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by chivic(m): 11:00pm On May 11, 2016
what was he doing to have spent all the money and suddenly it's tithe that remained.My brother people have leant to act "smarter than God".Who ever asked this question expected to be given the advice not to pay tithe.But the beauty about God is that he judges the motive of all our moves.Tithe should have been the first thing to pay,but he spent all his money and is now seeking for Emotional advice.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by chivic(m): 11:03pm On May 11, 2016
dorox:

This your god is worse than the mafia, why worship him?

please what you don't understand leave it that way.Than to call one's God "worst than a mafia".Dont lent Him hear it ooo.hmmmm
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by chivic(m): 11:08pm On May 11, 2016
Baddestguyp:
u are the one giving wrong advice. So if all the money u have left is ur tithe and u see a patient that needs surgery or will die in a few hours. Will u choose to pay for his surgery or carry the money to church in form of tithe?? Pls answer this

what was he doing to have spent all the money and suddenly is tithe that remained.My brother people have learnt to act "smarter than God".Who ever asked this question expected to be given the advice not to pay tithe.But the beauty about God is that he judges the motive of all our moves.Tithe should have been the first thing to pay,but he spent all his money and is now seeking for Emotional advice. On your question,the money left with him is not for him,it belongs to God.so it's as good as spent .if he wants to help he should borrow.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by Baddestguyp(m): 11:13pm On May 11, 2016
chivic:

what was he doing to have spent all the money and suddenly is tithe that remained.My brother people have learnt to act "smarter than God".Who ever asked this question expected to be given the advice not to pay tithe.But the beauty about God is that he judges the motive of all our moves.Tithe should have been the first thing to pay,but he spent all his money and is now seeking for Emotional advice. On your question,the money left with him is not for him,it belongs to God.so it's as good as spent .if he wants to help he should borrow.
ok, so he should be looking for where to borrow while the patient is dying and when the patient dies, the blood is on him.

God is merciful, He Won't support such.

let me ask u, why do u pay tithe
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by chivic(m): 12:07am On May 12, 2016
Baddestguyp:
ok, so he should be looking for where to borrow while the patient is dying and when the patient dies, the blood is on him.

God is merciful, He Won't support such.

let me ask u, why do u pay tithe

Good question my brother:
I pay tithe for so many reasons, few of which are:1) it's a command by God
2)so that God can rebuke the devourer
3)so he can open the windows of heaven for me
4)because o obedience to God is better than sacrificing my tithe to help my younger
brother
5) because all what I have belong to God in the real sence,but God is simply testing by obedience by requesting a portion
6)becuase in my early days,any month I don't pay tithe, I suffered direct loss and health issues that still take more than that tithe from me, but for so many yrs now,i have not tasted one tablet

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by Baddestguyp(m): 1:49am On May 12, 2016
chivic:

4)because o obedience to God is better than sacrificing my tithe to help my younger
brother
5) because all what I have belong to God in the real sence,but God is simply testing by obedience by requesting a portion
6)becuase in my early days,any month I don't pay tithe, I suffered direct loss and health issues that still take more than that tithe from me, but for so many yrs now,i have not tasted one tablet
from all these, it seems my God and yours are different. my God won't give me health issues if I don't pay my tithe. He doesn't need it. I can use my money to help others as a form of tithe. I can also give to help the church as tithe. my God cares more about me helping my neighbor than paying my tithe to church. the life of my neighbor is more important to Him than any amount of offering or tithe I pay.
my God does not need my tithe to bless me. it is not a business deal or investment. He will bless me regardless.

who do u give ur tithe to btw? ur pastor or ur God

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by GoldenLady1: 3:14am On May 12, 2016
I posed this question to a pastor I respect. He said you can do it. The only thing is per Leviticus 27:31 when you tithe again you have to add 1/5 of your increase plus the current tithe amount.

Example - Income $100
Tithe $10
1/5 $20
Current Income $200
Tithe $20
Total Tithe = $50
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by EnnisP: 6:33am On May 12, 2016
Complain to the government. You shouldn't have to pay fees to send kids to school.
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by paulstrings(m): 8:38am On May 12, 2016
micxwell:

Bro.. I agree with u that a percentage of our income isn't too much for God, in fact the so called 10% is even too small. Also Widow of Zarephath never gave to Elijah because she wanted wonders from God (and it wasn't tithe), she gave because it was in her attitude to give to people(poor and the needy)...... She was simply moved by LOVE not Wonders, that's exactly what God wants. If you give because u r expecting something back in return... It's wrong "people like that are called "Greedy Givers"...
You are Wise...God bless you
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by chivic(m): 12:22pm On May 12, 2016
Baddestguyp:
from all these, it seems my God and yours are different. my God won't give me health issues if I don't pay my tithe. He doesn't need it. I can use my money to help others as a form of tithe. I can also give to help the church as tithe. my God cares more about me helping my neighbor than paying my tithe to church. the life of my neighbor is more important to Him than any amount of offering or tithe I pay.
my God does not need my tithe to bless me. it is not a business deal or investment. He will bless me regardless.

THIS IS INTRESTiNG bro baddest guyp:
was tithe a directive from God? Yes! look at God's reaction in 1Sam 15 when Saul saved the King's life and gathered other "best animals" for sacrifice to God. From the bible God angered has been kindled against His people when the disobey.Infact sometimes his anger leaves a lot of His PEOPLE dead.
My brother obedience comes first before sacrificing to help anyone,or before doing some perceived "good works"
on ur question,who do I pay my tithe to? I pay it to God!not to any man or pastor. when we begin to see the pastor as the one we pay our offering and tithe to,then we will start having a wrong perception of tins
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by chivic(m): 2:48pm On May 12, 2016
Baddestguyp:

THIS IS INTRESTiNG bro baddest guyp:
was tithe a directive from God? Yes! look at God's reaction in 1Sam 15 when Saul saved the King's life and gathered other "best animals" for sacrifice to God. From the bible God angered has been kindled against His people when the disobey.Infact sometimes his anger leaves a lot of His PEOPLE dead.
My brother obedience comes first before sacrificing to help anyone,or before doing some perceived "good works"
on ur question,who do I pay my tithe to? I pay it to God!not to any man or pastor. when we begin to see the pastor as the one we pay our offering and tithe to,then we wil will have a lot of misinterpretation of things
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by klinro(m): 4:04pm On May 13, 2016
JustHere2Observ:
Pay the school fees.

Exactly what i thought
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by Nkematics(m): 12:11pm On May 14, 2016
paulstrings:

You are Wise...God bless you

CHRISTIANS ARE NOT UNDER ANY LAW TO PAY TITHE IN CHURCH!!! (By Chukwu, Celestine Nkemakolam)

I am very sure that quite a good number of people are going to call me names for daring to write on this topic; and some may never attempt to read this article till the last word before commenting that I am a biblical “robber”. As caustic as your comments may be, be assured that I have already forgiven you in advance. However, I crave your indulgence to read till the very last word and then decide if my reasons, especially the biblical passages around which my argument revolves, are wrong.

There have been lots of argument and articles concerning this topic. Tithe payment in churches today has become so necessary and even mandatory that anybody who dares refuse to pay it would either be excommunicated, suspended or tagged an anti-Christ who must not be allowed within the gathering of Christians (I write with experience). Some popular preachers whose articles I have read concerning tithe payment did go as far as stating that anybody who does not pay tithe cannot make heaven. I know quite well that tithe is the major source of revenue in some churches, and it is the primary means of supplying the needs of the Pastors. I also know that many of us have testimonies of financial breakthrough as a result of paying tithe, and the source of such testimonies is actually God and not the devil. However, in the midst of these testimonies, I still maintain, with biblical proof, that Christians are not under obligation to pay tithe. Moreover, tithe payment is not the only source of experiencing financial breakthrough; for, there are principles, according to God’s Will in the bible, which are laid down for this purpose.

It is clearly stated in Hebrews 7:5 that tithe is one of the laws of Moses, for Levites were “commanded by God to receive tithe from people according to the law”. A familiar verse often quoted by proponents of tithe payment is Malachi 3:9-10 where curse is pronounced on those who do not pay tithe; and blessings are showered on those who do. Moreover, Matthew 5:17-20 is also quoted where Jesus said that He had not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it. This later verse is, therefore, used as a basis that the Old Testament laws (Laws of Moses), which included tithe payment, is still applicable to us Christians since Jesus said he has not come to abolish the law. These verses, as you would come to see later in this article, are misquoted and misunderstood.

First, the verses in Malachi and Matthew came before the death of Jesus Christ. Jesus rightly quoted that He came to fulfill the law, and indeed He accomplished that through His death when He said “it is finished”. After His death, Christians were no longer under the law. That is why Hebrews 7:12 & 19 tells us that the former commandment and law to pay tithe (which was previously mentioned in Hebrew 7:5) has been annulled (cancelled). Moreover, Romans 7:6 says we have been delivered from the law; Ephesians 2:15 says that by His death He ended the whole system of Jewish laws that excluded Gentiles; Romans 10:4 says that Christ is the end of the law; Romans 7:4 says we died to the law through the body of Christ. Colossians 2:14-17 says all the ordinances were nailed to the cross. Galatians 3:10-13 crowns it by telling us that we have been delivered from the curse of the law( remember that tithe payment, as one of the laws, also came with a curse for those who refuse to pay it as stated in Malachi 3:9). This is why there is no verse in the bible (after the death of Jesus) where the Apostles told Christians to pay tithe. None of the churches practiced it. Rather, the needs of the church were met through voluntary offerings as depicted in 2nd Corinthians 9, Acts 2:44-45, etc. And God attached blessings to these free-will offerings as 2nd Corinthians 9:8-11 tells us. If tithe payment is so important or a part of the gospel of salvation, as some preachers do say when they declare that those who do not pay it will never make heaven, then why did the apostles in the bible decide not to teach Christians to do so when they preached?

I became very afraid of practicing anything in the Old Testament Law when I read from the Bible that living by them would cut me off from the grace, and we all know that no man would make heaven without the grace found in Jesus. Galatians 5:4 tells us that those who live by the law are cut off from the grace of Christ; Galatians 3:11 says no one is justified by the law in the sight of God. Also read Galatians 2:21, Galatians 3:1-5, Galatians 5:3, etc to really understand the grave implications of living by the law, even if it is just one act of the law.

There are other reasons many people have often given to justify tithe payment. One of them is that Abraham and Jacob paid tithe before the law, and if we must inherit the blessings of Abraham, we ought to do what they did: pay tithe. However, we must understand that Abraham paid tithe once. He tithed out of the spoils of war and not from his possessions. Jacob paid tithe as a vow to God if he answers his prayer. The bible never told us that he repeated that. We should remember that Circumcision, like tithing, also came before the law when God told Abraham in Genesis 17:11 to circumcise his household. Yet Galatians 5:1-3 tells us that we should no longer practice circumcision. This clearly tells us that it is fallacious to continue to live by an old doctrine merely because it came before the law.

Moreover, like I mentioned in the first paragraph, many people can give testimonies of financial breakthrough for paying tithe. Such blessings are real and may be from God. However, obtaining positive result is not always an indication that the means it came is according to God’s Will. For instance, Moses was instructed by God in Numbers 20:8 to speak to the rock so that water would be supplied for the grumbling Israelites. Moses, however, STRUCK the rock (Numbers 20:11) as against the instruction to Speak. There was still a positive result of water coming out of the rock, but God punished Moses for disobedience to His exact instruction by preventing him from entering the Promised Land. Matthew 7: 21-23 also tells us that God prevented people who performed miracles, signs and wonders in His name (not the name of Satan) from entering Heaven simply because they did not do His Will. This clearly tells us that God could give people power to perform signs and wonders or obtain positive results when His name is mentioned. Yet He would deny them entrance into Heaven for not doing His Will. Therefore, do not be rooted in the practice of a doctrine merely by the side attractions of signs and wonders.

It is pertinent that we know God’s laid down principle which is the key to financial breakthrough according to His Will. This key is in providing the needs of the less privileged and supporting Missionary works (2nd Corinthians 9:1-14, Matthew 25: 31-46, Matthew 10:41-42, James 1:27, Galatians 6:6-10, Luke 14:12-14, etc.). Do these and watch God manifest in your life. There are orphans in orphanages, beggars on the streets, sick people in hospitals who cannot pay their medical bills, people in prisons who have lost hope, widows, poor people around you, etc, who need our money and other welfare materials as we can provide. Moreover, invest in Missionary works geared towards propagating the gospel of Jesus Christ, and in the life of those who Minister the Word of God to us in our churches. The needs of the church can only be met through our voluntary offering and not through tithing.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION!!!
Let me educate us further. What was the purpose of tithe during the law? A percentage of tithe was given to Levites because of the services they rendered to God, and they were not to own properties. The priests served like mediators between God and men, for they offered our gifts and our sacrifices of sin, cleansing, etc to God. However, the death of Jesus Christ became the ultimate sacrifice. We no longer need mortal priests to offer sacrifices to God on our behalf. We all now have direct access to God just like those priests of the old. That is why in 1Peter 2:9, we are called royal Priests, and the veil separating us from God was torn when Jesus died. Since there is no more need for sacrifices, the office of those priests was eliminated and therefore, the requirement to pay tithe which was used to feed these men was also eliminated. Hebrews 7, 8, 9 should explain all these to us.

Now, let us assume that tithing is still necessary, CAN ANYONE TELL US WHERE MONEY IS MENTIONED AS A "TITHABLE" ITEM IN THE BIBLE? Deu 14:22 and Leviticus 27:30 clearly tells us that only the fruits of the land or agricultural products were accepted as tithes. Most of modern day preachers deceive us by saying that in the old testament days, people were not earning money and that was why God did not include money as something to tithe. No way! You would be wrong if you think so. When you read 2 Chronicles 24:11-14, 2 Kings 12:11, 2 Kings 22:4-6 and Ezra 3:7, you would see that there were Carpenters, Stone cutters, Masons, etc who were paid for their services in money. We should also accept that there were fisher men then and other forms of trade. So can someone answer this question: WHY DID GOD NOT TELL THOSE PEOPLE TO TITHE THE MONEY THEY EARNED?

My brethren, let us be careful to preach the gospel of salvation to all mankind as something obtainable in grace and not through the works of the law. Let us not put men in bondage by forcing them to live by the law just because we are more interested in enriching ourselves through their tithe. Apostle Paul was a tent maker (Acts 18: 3) even as he was preaching, because he did not want to put burden on believers to supply his needs ( 1 Thes 2:9). Anybody that says he is an Apostle, Pastor, etc should be wise to emulate their early church predecessors: Apostle Paul, etc.
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by orunto27: 12:26pm On May 14, 2016
This is my second time of advicing you to pay your Brother's School Fees
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by TheWayToZion: 1:50pm On May 14, 2016
BRING YE ALL THE TITHES INTO THE STOREHOUSE

UNDERSTANDING THE TITHES!
Malachi 3:10

Commentary: Here is where every Pastor/Evangelist will take you to justify their reasons why you should pay to them the tithe of your monthly earnings “Money, Money”. Now, let us get the understanding of what tithes really is, how it should be paid nowadays and to whom!

THE LAW OF TITHES UNDER THE OLD COVENANT
Deuteronomy 14:22-29 & 12:17-19 (Deeper understanding of what Tithes really is.)
2Chronicles 31:4-6 (The portion of the priest & Levites. See “Deuteronomy 14:27, 29”)
Nehemiah 10:34-39
Nehemiah 13:1-14 (Chambers were clean, priest & Levites portion was restored.)
Malachi 3:8-10
Leviticus 27:30-34

Here is the Wisdom: Now we have a clear understanding what the tithes is: fruits, animals and so on. Tithes was never money!! After the Levites “Numbers 18:23-32” collected all the tithes from the children of Israel, it was righteousness unto them to also pay the tithes of what they have collected from children of Israel unto the Priest (back then it was given unto Aaron and his children). So the question is, who is in the position of the priest nowadays and who is in the position of Levites nowadays? We will get answer in the following slide.

THE LAW OF TITHES UNDER THE NEW COVENANT
Hebrew 7:1-10
Genesis 14:1-20

Here is the Wisdom: YASHAYA is our new priest after the order of Melchisedek “Hebrew 7:11-28 & Psalm 110:4”. With that been said, what has now changed in the tithing? Now, the order of tithes was restored back to what it was in the days of our father Abraham before the priesthood was set up under Moses. That simply means the tithes of our increase must be given to our Elders and those that are under them (They are our Priests and Levites under YASHAYA “John 14:12” for that we must pay to them). So, what is the tithes now? The tithes is still what the tithes is, it was never money. The example of what tithes is has been clearly shown unto us in the book of “Genesis 14:1-24” so that we are without excuse.

THE SHEKEL OF SILVER AND TALENTS OF GOLD
Genesis 23:1-20 (Abraham paid for the field with four hundred shekels of silver.)
Numbers 7
Leviticus 27:1-16 {Proverb 7:19-20 “Bag of Money?”} {Jeremiah 31:6-15 “Weighed of Money?”}
Judges 17:1-4 (Beyond the shadow of doubt, silver was the currency used here.)

Here is the Wisdom: Some may say back in those days there was no money but didn’t Abraham our father pay for the land with shekels of silver? And how come Abraham chose not to give only the money “THE SHEKEL OF SILVER OR TALENTS OF GOLD” to Melchizedek the king of Salem? But it was rather given unto him the tithes of everything as The Most High Power commanded him so. Let’s examine this in “Exodus 21:33-36 & Deuteronomy2:5-6” how such payment was made. Let’s take a look at “Deuteronomy 14:22-29” and let’s also examine the “Deuteronomy 14:24-26.” So money was simply used back in those days. In “2Samuel 24:24, 1 Chronicles 21:25” David paid with the money... wondering why not paying with the cow or with the chicken? Let us stop saying the goods was money back in those days. Money was always silver and gold even in today’s world. Don't we well know that paper money means nothing and they that have money always convert their wealth to silver and gold? In “Matthew 20:1-16”, why YASHAYA in the parable of “Laborers in the Vineyard “chose not to use chicken for daily wages but rather a penny?

THE FREEWILL OFFERINGS AND THANKSGIVING
Leviticus 22:17-33 (Freewill offerings and Thanksgiving can be animal or anything.)
Leviticus 23:39
Numbers 29:39-40
Psalm 119:108 (Freewill offerings can also be the praises of our mouth unto The Most High.)

Here is the Wisdom: We are not to think that Money was never been collected for the work of the Most High. YASHAYA talks about the “Widow’s offering” unto The Most High work “Mark 12:41-44”. If she was to pay the tithes with money, wouldn’t it be wrong if she casted all she had knowing that the Most High only commanded tithes, and YASHAYA would watch that happening. However, for the freewill offering we can give as much as we see it right in our heart to do. As we can see in the book of “2Corrintians 9:1-15” The Apostles also collected money. So let all men cheerfully give to the work of Most High, so that our Elders and they that are under them may live on something. Nevertheless, this isn’t tithes but offering that helps to support the work of the Most High. YASHAYA didn’t come to change the truth of the Most High to a lie “Matthew 5:17-20”. Howbeit, there must be a DISTINCTION between doing the right thing and doing things right but in a wrong way.

THE POINT OF CORRECTION!
Matthew 23:23-24 (Aren’t we becoming like Scribes and Pharisees?)
Malachi 3:6

Here is the Wisdom: What now when we deliberately change the truth of The Most High AHAYAH from the tithes of fruits & animals into money? Are we greater than HIM? Doesn’t AHAYAH know what it is in tomorrow that we have not yet lived to see? How can we then not keep it as AHAYAH has ordained it to be? Your action can only be justified by using Romans taxation “Matthew 22:15-22”. Let us be not as Caesar that rob our people. Let’s give to nowadays Caesar “The government of this world” what belongs to them “Taxes from our salaries” and give unto Most High AHAYAH ASHER AHAYAH what belongs unto him “Our daily thanksgiving made by our mouth in prayers as well as tithes and freewill offerings”.
Commentary: Are we still provoking “2Corinthians 10:22” AHAYAH to jealousy? Shouldn’t we keep all the law “Galatians 5:4” in righteousness? Are we not called to raise up the foundations of many generations? So that we may be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in Isaiah 58:12? So there you are, let us stand fast and make the changes. Should we choose not to do the right thing, there is punishment “Jeremiah 23:9-13” waiting for the lying prophets! So let us provoke one another into good works “Hebrew 10:19-39, 1Corinthians 9:24-27.” So there you are, Thanks to accept the tithes as the Most High ordained it.

Shalawam. Qam Yasharahla.
Re: Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? by franugo(m): 2:07am On May 24, 2016
chivic:

brother

reading fanatics' write ups always make me wanna

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

"Hell Does Not Exist" - Pope Francis / Primate Ayodele: Death Still Lurks In Aso Rock, Speaks On Kashamu’s Death / We Are Yet To Trace Biodun Fatoyinbo’s Record – UNILORIN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.