Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,740 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

The Candle In The Wind - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Candle In The Wind (16473 Views)

The Candle In The Wind - Episode 4 (an Intriguing Love Strory) / The Candle In The Wind - Episode 3 / New Story On Amebo Babe Blog (the Candle In The Wind- Episode 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 8:52am On May 16, 2016
ashatoda:
wow this is great keep it up

Thanks dear smiley
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 8:53am On May 16, 2016
jacy67:
I don show. Make I book space for front row. Thanks for the mention

You're always welcome. Sorry for the delay so far smiley
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 9:32am On May 16, 2016
Episode 9

Tony drove inside the Idile’s compound as if being pursued.

We alighted from the car and ran straight to the front door.

My heart was beating so loudly that it didn’t need a microphone before it would be amplified!

What would greet my eyes when I enter?

Jesus!

We pressed the ring and waited shortly before it was opened to us.

“Good afternoon” Abigail greeted us, a faint smile on her lips.

She could still smile?

Even though the smile was faint, I was not expecting that kind of expression from her.

I had expected that she would be wailing or sad or shocked especially from her reaction on the phone the other time.

I checked Tony’s face too and read the same confusion.

We stepped into the sitting room and I saw a big bowl of half-eaten popcorn and a medium bowl of ice-cream on the glassy stool with the cool 3D images from the television- Barbie Series.

So, Abigail could still watch cartoon as she munched popcorn and scooped ice-cream?

Wow!

What then was wrong?

“Where is mummy?” Tony asked and I jolted back to reality and nodded

“She is in the second sitting room. She is with daddy.” She explained, coyly

Daddy?

She saw the question in my face and smiled

“Daddy came in the same minute I called you. It was a coincidence” she explained

“But you said he wasn’t around” I retorted

“That was what mummy and I thought” she said, fumbling with her hands

How could even mummy think that her husband was away while he was around?

Were they that distant from each other?

Huh?!!!

And wait!

Why was Abigail shy?

This was a girl that spoke with me with open mind and all…

why is she being coy and shy and irritatingly slow this afternoon?

I looked at Tony and realized that he was sweating under his nose.

Was he feeling uncomfortable?

Was there something that I didn’t know?

Leaving all that aside, I cleared my throat and faced Tony

“Can we go inside now?” I asked, twisting my mouth to a side.

Whatever it was that was causing the atmosphere to be this way, I didn’t know but I obviously was not comfortable with it.

Abigail widened her nose

“I think mummy would want only Bro. Tony inside.” She said and I paused to look at Tony’s face.

What was all this about?

“I think I would want her inside with me ma!” Tony said, stressing the ‘ma’ with his eyes widened.

Abigail looked somber

What was happening between these two?

Exactly what?

Tony held my right hand with a sense of authority and ownership and calmly but strongly pulled me with him as we left the sitting room for the other one.

I was more than dazed!

What was he doing?

Why was he behaving like that?

It felt like I was in between two lovers

Were they in a relationship and then a problem came along the way and he wanted to make her jealous by pulling me?

I started burning in my heart so greatly.

If that was the case, there was hope of reconciliation nah!

If they reconcile, what would be my own hope and portion dear Emmanuel?

As I moaned from inside, the heat in my heart like volcano erupted and burst into my face as my face became bombarded with small balls of sweat.

I snatched my hands from his in anger.

“What is the meaning of all this? Exactly what? Am I meant to be a football passed from one player to the other? Do you even know that I am a grown woman at all? Why are you doing all these?…” I blurted out suddenly

Did I sound jealous?

Did I sound anxious?

Were those questions enough or should I add more?

Why were they toiling with my emotions?

Why, why, why

I was furious and mad, closing my eyes as I spoke bitterly.

He paused

Then he smiled

“Are you kinda jealous?” he asked with his nose raised, his face clouded in a funny look.

Blood rushed into my face.

“What!” I exclaimed in a husky voice.

He chuckled.

“Don’t worry. I don’t like Abigail like that” he said, smiling.

My heart dropped

I wanted to scream loudly and clearly into his face that “Who cares?”

But I do!

I did!

I really did care!

While I was still trying to put words together, he opened the door leading inside and stepped in.

He looked back and saw me still staring into space.

He smiled and pulled me by my right hand.

I slapped his hand off and hissed silently

Bad boy!
>>>>>

Pastor was seated on the settee when we entered and on a closer look, mummy pastor was asleep on his laps.

She was sleeping peacefully, both of her hands held his knees as if her life depended on that.

I was touched!

In that instant, I forgave the pastor all of the ills I had against him.

He kept on brushing her low cut hair with his hands. He did it with love and care and my heart lept for joy.

This is how it was meant to be!

“Good evening sir” Tony greeted

“Good evening Bro Tony” he replied, smiling broadly

“Good evening sir” I greeted too, genuflecting respectfully

“Hmmm, our bride-to-be!” he exclaimed laughing heartily. I smiled too

I didn’t understand what he meant at all.

I didn’t know if it was just a cliché that adults use or if he meant that my hands have been searched for in my marriage by some men.

I didn’t want my case to be like a young pregnant woman who was being greeted by lots of married woman as being ‘Iya Ibeji’ and because she felt that the people saying it must have meant it from experience and that it must be twins for real, went to the market and bought her things in twos until people told her that it was a costly assumption as it was a norm for most Africans to hype people that way.

I didn’t want any costly assumption and I therefore kept mute.

I was happy that they were looking just cool together.

“Daddy, I feel like taking a shot of both of you together. You look so lovingly godly together”

I didn’t even care if my adjective order was correct. All I wanted was a way of conveying my utmost gratitude for such romantic representation of a beautiful godly home.

Pastor laughed.

Oh how handsome he looked

Enjoyment galore!

“Of course you can my dear daughter” he said and I smiled as I quickly brought out my digital camera.

This was just good for Facebook.

I racked my brain for the umpteenth time for the best title or post that could match the pictures.

After getting some really good shots, I smiled to myself and gave a thumbs up to daddy who laughed out in response.

Tony wore a small smile as he watched on in silence.

>>>>>> It Continues still <<<<<<

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/05/candle-wind-episode-9/
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 9:46am On May 16, 2016
Episode 10

“This must be the first time you are visiting our house” the pastor said and I shook my head

It must have skipped mummy’s mind to tell him.

Didn’t he see that the mouse hole of a bedroom was now sparkling clean?

“This is the second time sir. The first time, mummy wasn’t feeling to well, so I came around to do some things for her” I went on and after I stopped, I wondered who asked me for the long tale

“Oh, I See! My wife doesn’t rest o. she doesn’t at all. All was as a result of stress. She is better now. You can see her sweating profusely. All fever is gone” he said and I smiled broadly.

So it was even fever!

Wow! That fever must have been really severe o.

I looked at Tony and his face was glued to the television as if he was in another world.

“But daddy, mummy had been looking really pale for some time now. It isn’t good for her present state of health” I said and he looked at me, shocked

“What state?” he asked

So he didn’t know?

He didn’t know that his wife was pregnant?

Oh no!

My doubts started resurfacing

“Isn’t mummy pregnant?” I asked and he laughed really hard

“Pregnant at what age? Pregnant at 55? Oh no!” he laughed again

So, what was the protruding tummy for?

Exactly what?

He touched her stomach gently and mummy pastor flinched

“Mummy started some sit-up exercises and she stopped all of a sudden. This is the aftermath.” He explained and I nodded

I became confused instead of being convinced

I was not new to exercises and sit-ups had been my best for flat tummy.

Even though I stopped for a while and my tummy became enlarged, mummy pastor’s own looked extra-blown that it felt like there was a whole baby in there

It is well o

“Ok sir” I replied when I realized that I had not given an answer all this while.

He smiled again

“Please pray well o. I want you to bring your sweetheart to me soon o” he said and I smiled

“Ok sir. God will help me o” I said and he smiled

“Ogagun” he called out to Tony and he looked back, smiling sweetly

“Yes daddy” he replied, calmly.

“I am awaiting your MMR soon o” he said again and Tony laughed as if it was more than what the pastor said

This guy sef!

The pastor laughed too

“I am serious o. I am telling you now. Better be prayerful and bring her sharp sharp” he said further, still smiling

My head opened all of a sudden and I remembered what I heard in the dream.

What Tony called me!

MMR!

Chai!

What does that mean?

I cleared my throat

“Daddy, what does MMR means?” I asked and the men both laughed

“Bush sister!” Tony said and I gave him a stern knowing look.

“If I don’t know something, I can’t ask again? Huh?” I was almost getting angry

I guess this guy doesn’t really know who I am and what I have been able to achieve in life.

If he does, he wouldn’t talk anyhow to me.

“Bro Tony, stop persecuting my daughter o.” Pastor said and Tony became serious as he looked at me

“I am sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I am so sorry” he said again and he meant it.

I shrugged my shoulders

As I looked into his face, I read it, well spelt out “Your shakara sef too much!”

“MD reigned in many marriages as the ‘My Dear’ thing became rampant. Now, it’s the era of My Missing Rib…MMR” the pastor explained and I smiled

“I didn’t know that that was it. I am already conversant with the missing rib thing. Nice one. God’s will shall be done o” I said just so normally that when the men’s resounding amen rang in my ears, I was startled and they made jest of me.

The pastor’s phone rang and I went across the room to pick the phone.

The pastor placed his wife gently on the settee as he scurried after me.

He got the phone from me, whispered a ‘thank you’ hurriedly and left the room.

I went back into the sitting room and sat directly opposite Tony.

We said nothing to each other.

I looked over to mummy’s side and saw her face clearly.

That bitter smile!

Again!

I went towards her and sat on the settee beside her

She looked really helpless.

I held her close to myself and she clung to me.

Her teeth were beating against one another and I felt really odd- as if something was wrong.

Her eyes were still shut tightly.

Pastor came in and cleared his throat.

“I am so happy that you guys are here.” He said and smiled. Mummy became hot in my hands and I looked into her face.

Tears ran down her face

I was shocked because she was obviously still sleeping

“I just got a call now that I am needed urgently at our church branch in South Africa. I would have to go now. I would put a call through to my wife from there since she still appears to be sleeping.” He said on and mummy’s hands around me tightened.

Was she scared of him going?

Was she trying to say he should not go?

Pastor knotted his tie as he bent down to pick his briefcase.

He came beside us on the settee, and I was thankful that he would perhaps see her tears

He pecked her forehead and brought out his handkerchief.

He wiped her face

“She is sweating. You probably increase the air-conditioner” he said and I was shocked

Sweat?

Was it not obvious that it was tears and not sweat?

Jesus!

Is this insensitivity or sheer wickedness?
What surname do I give this oh Lord!

“This is my credit card if she probably needs anything. I will be back soon. I am counting on you all. I love you” he said

He didn’t even wait to get the response before he jumped out of the room.

Tony’s face and mine met and we coincidentally shook our heads

“What’s this? I feel weird” I said as I hugged mummy pastor close

“Prayer. That’s the major thing needed now. we need to pray more for them.” He said too

Mummy pastor sneezed and then coughed and tried to sit up.

Tony jumped over to our side and helped her up.

“Sorry ma” he said as he supported her head with the pillow.

Mummy pastor smiled as tears ran down her face.

My heart broke

“Mummy, I asked you the other time. What is happening to you? What is it that even daddy doesn’t know about? Exactly what mum?” I asked in a very shaky voice.

I was becoming sick and tired of everything and I just wanted to put an end to all that she was going through.

Tears ran down her face the more.

“Please Precious. Let’s give her a breathing space” Tony said, trying to pacify me in his own ways but I wouldn’t bulge

“Please leave me. You already know what the problem is but I don’t. do you know how I have stayed in perpetual suspense and anxiety for days? Do you?” I was almost crying

I wasn’t a timid lady

Why was everyone trying to marginalize me?

Why?

I didn’t find it funny anymore and I felt like bursting and pulling everything down.

I looked at mummy pastor and she smiled at me largely, tears still on her face.

“Daughter, I promised to tell you all. Just ask me” she said and she closed her eyes bitterly.

I didn’t care anymore

This was an open cheque and I had to make use of it wisely now, else, that would be all

“Mummy, what is in your tummy? Is it really sit-up effect or pregnancy?” I asked and she smiled

“Precious, please can you…” Tony was saying when mummy pastor pulled him beside her. She held us together- Tony on the right and I on the left.

“It’s fibroid tumor” she blurted out and my head banged severally

Fibroid!

My mind never even went to that aspect at all!

I had only thought that it was either pregnancy or pregnancy!

Mummy smiled bitterly.

My heart broke the more!

“Mummy, are you really that sick? Is fibroid the only thing? Is there anything I should know that I don’t? Is there?” I cried, tears rolling down my face.

“That’s not all my daughter” she said again.

Her voice was so sure

My eyes widened

Tony wasn’t even saying anything

His head was bowed down

Jesus!

I stood up all of a suddenly, banged my back to the floor and there cried bitterly.

“Oh God! This cannot be! You said in your word that whatever God reveals to us is for our children and ourselves. The dream you showed to me cannot come to pass. It cannot come to pass at all oh God! Arise Jesus!”

I prayed so hard, smashing myself to the ground and crying so bitterly.

Thank God I was still wearing my sporting trousers if not; I would have been in a total mess.

“Oh God! Why? Why Father? Father, why? Jesus!” I cried the more

“Precious!” Mummy Pastor called out and I looked out. My eyes were obviously bloodshot because though there were no tears on Tony’s face, his eyes were drunk-red!

“Mummy…oh mummy” I cried out the more

“Daughter, I am just a woman of a bitter life. I had tried to live like that Shunnamite woman who kept on saying ‘It is Well’ but it has not worked for me. Not at all!” she lamented

“Why mum? Why?” I cried too

“Probably because I failed in my duties as a good home keeper” she said and I looked up at her.

“Failed? How?” I asked further

She wheezed and Tony stood up suddenly.
He came in with a bottle of water and she swallowed with great difficulty.

I pitied her greatly.

There I was eating whatever I liked and still complaining of the sweetness or this or that!

Oh what ingrate I had been!

“Of course I have failed. Once your husband can no longer sit in the house with you for long; pray with you as usual, eat the food you prepared, sleep in the same bed with you, live in the same house with you, haven’t you failed?” she asked again, looking intently into my face.

That could never be true!

She was only citing examples.

Daddy and mummy still came to church together on Sunday wearing the same attire, looking gorgeous as ever and radiating God’s glory.

So, what’s all this?

“Mummy, dad doesn’t live at home?” I asked and Tony gave me an ‘Isn’t it enough?’ look but I shrugged.

I was as sorrowful as anyone else.

“I thought you were going to ask me that question when you cleared my room that day but you didn’t. Did you see anything that pertained to Men’s stuff in the room that day? He was long gone”

“What!”

“Yes! We are as good as divorced” she blurted out.

It was hard to believe for me and I looked around in shock.

Tony’s head was bowed low still.

‘Divorce? How and why?’

I just didn’t understand.

Mummy Pastor smiled

‘If God had not stated expressly that he hates divorce, my husband would probably have filed for one’ she said still, sadly.

I was overwhelmed!

I sat on the floor and bit my lower lip in anguish.

It was as if I had never heard something like this before

‘But mum, you have been awarded couples of the year lots of time now. You and daddy do almost everything in common. So, mummy, I don’t seem to understand anymore’

She laughed so much that she fell into a fit of hard cough.

Tony gave her the bottle of water again and that was when I saw it on his face – his tears!

Men cry but when a real man like Tony who was also a medical doctor cried, it meant there was a big problem!

‘It was all camouflage my daughter! Pretense!’

She started her sad tales amidst her heart-rending coughs

How Pastor went to rent an apartment at the end of the street so he could have time alone with God and the ministry; how he no longer lived at home; how he refused to eat at home again; how he sent all the kids abroad so Mummy could have time for herself even against her own will

‘Oh how I miss my children!’ she cried, holding her chest in serious pain.

‘They are not doing any better. Not at all! They are worst than ever now. Doing different bad stuffs. He’s ashamed now to bring them back and I am not allowed to go because of his selfish ambition – his wife can’t leave him! Yet he doesn’t care. He doesn’t know anything about me. All is about the church!” she cried loudly and I sniffed

Oh oh!

That’s the problem now.

The pastor has a mistress- his church!

Now I know!

I watched as she shook so vehemently.

She must be really lonely!

‘Mummy, this isn’t good for you. This is wrong. Please, let’s forget about it and keep on praying’ Tony said, holding her hands gently and looking into his face.

‘I have never done it! I have preached against it! Never allow the third party into your marriage- but I have broken it. I have allowed the third and the fourth the same night. I have failed! Frustration forced me! Sickness opened my mouth! Death threate…. ‘she paused to shed some tears again, she swallowed hard before continuing the sad tale.

‘ I love my husband and he loved me too. He is just too busy to a fault. He never realized that I was on low-cut till today and when he saw it, he didn’t bother asking why I did. He only said it fitted me. Oh mine! I never cut my hair. I never did… ‘ she wailed.

I looked aback and wanted to talk when Tony held me back from talking.

‘Leave her alone. Let me talk to her. God showed my secret to both of you different nights in different places! What’s there to hide again? What?’

She spoke hopelessly and I heaved a deep sigh.

This is a sad tale Oh God!

I couldn’t believe it!

So Tony also had a dream as pertaining to the pastor’s wife?

Hmmmmm… Holy Spirit the revealer of secrets!

‘My husband did not come around because I called him to tell him I was sick. He came because I threatened that if he didn’t come, I would send for you guys. I knew he would want a good image to be created before his church members and didn’t he succeed? He did! I succeeded too though it was short -lived as I got the opportunity to sleep on his laps with his hands over me once again.

I shook my head!

This was more serious than I ever imagined.

‘But mummy, why not have the fibroid removed… You were also saying something about your hair not being cut by yourself’ I reminded her.

I wanted a comprehensive understanding of it all so that I would be able know how to pray too.

She laughed dryly while Tony threw me a ‘why do you have to ask’ kind of look.

Is it bad to be inquisitive?

Not at all!

She cleared her throat and looked at me in the face.

‘The answer is clear. I can’t remove the fibroid because my body is not OK. My hair fell off themselves with Noone touching them because my body is not Ok. My body is not ok because it is infested with… ‘ she continued sadly when I stamped my foot on the floor.

Could I bear it?

Would the shock be too much to bear for me?

‘Mummy, wait!’

I needed a heart gird now so I wouldn’t pass out when I get the shock

That’s why I hate surprises!

They make my heart race so much that by the time I get the surprise, I start to vomit-the aftermath of the anxiety.

‘OK mummy.. I am ready’ I said again and she pulled me close and smiled.

She pulled one of ears and her hands were rough!

Hmmmmm

‘Leukemia!’ that was the only thing she said and my head scattered.

Blood cancer!!

Jesus!

Oh my Savior!

As I looked into her face, all I saw was the cancer… It was red, then blue, then black, then white and I became really derilious.

…. It continues

Source:
http://gospelbreed.com/2016/05/candle-wind-episode-10/
Re: The Candle In The Wind by joanee20(f): 10:38am On May 16, 2016
Olajhidey22:

Amen oh grin. Thanks Pastor joanee20
LOL.. pastor ke

2 Likes

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 2:49pm On May 16, 2016
Episode 11

It’s the safest thing to do…

Those were the words I heard faintly and I moved my leg.

Where was I?

“Mummy, but God is against that. He never would love it. You would break God’s heart with that decision of yours”

That should be Tony.

“Well, I know quite alright but it’s funny how I have been going against everything I know in the Bible. It’s funny” I heard some sniffing.

Oh!

That should be mummy pastor!

Was she crying?

What happened to me?

Was I sleeping in the middle of an argument as hot as this?

What happened?

I racked my brain for a long period of time and it relived in my face and in my ears.

Leukemia!

Fibroid!

Oh my God!

Don’t tell me I fainted!

I felt a sensational surge run through my spine and I felt almost useless.

How could I faint like that- in the presence of Tony?

Why?

That was why I hated surprises- good or bad!

I wondered why some girls and even married women cherish it when their spouses surprises them.

If it were to be me, my hypothalamus wouldn’t just decode the signals well- or probably it decoded it well but my heart couldn’t take it.

“If Tony wants to propose to me, he should sha not go and do mad surprises of balloons and candlelight o. They would have to send for an ambulance if he does that” I said and chuckled silently. The thought alone made me cringe.

There was a deafening silence and I wondered if the duo had left what they were doing or discussing. I opened my eyes halfway and saw Tony staring at me with a funny smile on his face.

He shook his head, fixing his eyes on me.

I shut my eyes quickly.

“What did she just say?” Mummy pastor asked and my heart jumped into my mouth

They heard what I said?

I was only lost in my own world o Jesus!

Tony laughed

Oh Lord!

I had to save the situation…what should I do?

I stretched my arms and coughed.

“What sort of a bad dream is this Lord? Tony and I? God forbid!” I hissed again and pretended to be asleep.

“Jesus! What is happening? She seems to be having a nightmare. Let’s wake her please. Abi?” mummy pastor asked and I opened my eyes halfway again to see the frowning face of Tony.

I shut my eyes again and smiled.

Tony laughed hard and pinched my arm

“Enough of this nightmare sleeping princess” he stressed the ‘’nightmare’’ that I knew assuredly well that he understood my tricks

I tried to harden my heart.

At least mummy didn’t understand.

Thank God!

I stretched again and coughed three times before I opened my eyes.

I looked around so naively.

I was in mummy pastor’s room and it was still as clean as I had left it few weeks back.

She held my shoulder softly and I shuddered.

“Thank God you are alive.” She said with gratitude and smiled deeply.

I smiled too- faintly

Tony shook his head and his nose was cushioned up in contempt.

What’s with this guy abeg!

“You fainted because you heard the story of my life. What if you experienced it?” mummy asked again and I looked up at her.

She smiled still and I called my spirit, soul and body together.

What if I experienced it for real?

“So, I have decided to file for divorce” she blurted out and my heart rang very loudly.

Divorce ke!

God forbid!

“Mummy, divorce!” I exclaimed so loudly holding my chest as I stepped out of the bed in which I had been laid.

I didn’t hear correctly!

“I can’t bear it anymore. Even though it costs me anything, divorce is my last resort and I am going in for that” She said and tears ran down my face.

I could imagine the news headlines the following day about my pastor’s divorce after a failed marriage. I could imagine critics and enemies wagging their tongues in interviews and my tummy dropped.

This isn’t good oh God!

I looked at mummy pastor and she looked really resolute- her mind was made up.

What else could I say to a woman who had gone through hell in recent times- or even all her life!

“Mummy, God still hates it. No matter what! Even in Matthew 17 versus 25 or thereabout, He stated His hatred for divorce clearly. Even in the case of adultery, He still hates it!” I tried to pursue my argument.

Mummy pastor laughed

“It’s not Matthew 17:25 o lady evangelist. It is Malachi 2: 16” she corrected

How hard it is to preach to a backslidden preacher!

He would just turn you from one side to the other and quote scriptural references with you even before you land.

But, is mummy also a backslider?

The bible says the first shall be the last and the last shall be the first. Was that bible verse coming to reality already?

I shuddered at the thought.

Mummy put her hand on my shoulder and pressed softly.

“I am going to die anyway. Just two weeks and I would be gone” she said, dejectedly and my heart skipped a beat.

I looked at Tony who buried his face underneath his palms.

“So, why not divorce him before I just waste away just like that? Why not?” she asked again, her voice shaking vehemently.

What to do?

Death ke!

Please Lord, don’t allow her die.

I pushed Tony’s shoulders but he didn’t look up at me.

“Why would she die? Isn’t there anything that could be done? Nothing at all?” I cried

“Miracle” he muttered.

Was he crying too?

Oh Jesus!

I left his shoulder and faced mummy pastor again.

“Mummy, tell daddy. He still has the money to do something about this. You can fly out of the country or something. You should not allow an ordinary private doctor to dictate to you what is not”

I didn’t know when the words came out of my mouth but whatever I said sure had an inestimable effect on Tony who looked at me through the space between her fingers and shook his head.

Mummy laughed

“Who is the ordinary private doctor? Tony? Nope! Don’t ever see him as such. He is definitely a big gun when we talk about medicine.”

I looked at him and lots of thoughts ran through my mind.

A big gun?

“Dont judge a book by its cover my sweet girl” she said and I just nodded.

What was I supposed to say?

I am sorry?

I am regretful or what exactly?

It is well o

Wasn’t he just a serving corps member?

My mind travelled far and I wondered.

I shook my head afterwards and focused on mummy pastor.

“Ok, lets assume that he is a bug gun for real ma, what is the probability that all he had told you is true?”

I talked so childishly that it hurt my heart but I couldn’t just express myself any better.

“It isn’t only me working on her ma. It’s a group of international gynaecologists” he explained and I felt bad.

Why did he talk that way?

He didn’t like the way i talked- it was so obvious.

“This is the second phase of the leukemia thing my daughter. Its a relapse” she explained and I looked at her lips as they danced.

I wanted more explanation.

“Dad had a foreign mission in America- Oklahoma to be precise. We went together. You at home would think ‘oh, love things’ but we were apart. I ached to see my children while there and I succeeded. They looked really awful! My boys’ eyes were red and my only daughter looked so jezebellic. I really cried that day. I put a call through to my husband since he was away to allow us bring them back to Nigeria but he refused and ordered me to come back to Oklahoma- he didn’t even see the children! He only sent money.”

Tears ran down her face and my heart yawned for her.

“While there, my bp rose and since my husband wasn’t even around for me to complain to, I went to the hospital and to my greatest surprise, I was diagnosed with full blown leukemia.! I couldn’t die but chemotherapy begun immediately” she explained and I watched on, warm spittle gathering in every corner of my mouth.

“So, dad knows about the first case of the leukemia?” I asked and she smiled painfully

“I went through chemotherapy, my hair started falling off, my teeth started rotting away, yet on the 3rd day after my 3 weeks’ admission which he didn’t know about, he still climbed me and all this marriage intimate things still happened, you know? He didn’t notice that I wasn’t active in bed. He didn’t notice my pain, my teeth, my hair, nothing!”

My body cringed

I could only imagine that.

That’s sheer insensitivity!

“But mummy, you could have told him. You could have” I retorted

“I know I should have. But I was hurt. That wasn’t the man I married. He just changed when he was asked to head a large church. I felt it was too big for him. Anytime I put my hurts aside to tell him I wasnt well, he wouldn’t even let me land before he says I should be a woman of faith and he would pray with me. I would be embittered the more and would then keep quiet. I am phlegmatic by nature”

She allowed the tears to flow and I allowed mine too.

I had read about these temperaments stuffs and for her to really endure such pains, she was a real phlegmatic and her husband must be a choleric melancholic man not to even notice at all!

“He called that we were to leave for home soon with the mind that I had been with my children all these weeks. I told my doctors who told me that i was surprisingly getting healed. I was given lots of drugs and we came back home.” She explained and I swallowed

I watched on as she explained further how the symptoms started four months ago and she started chemo again.

“When the news got to my hospital in the US, a top Nigerian gynaecologist who originally had something doing in this country was sent to take over my treatment…”

“And thats Tony?” I asked in a very raised voice.

Mummy nodded.

“Oh Lord of lords!” I exclaimed.

Tony shook his head and fixed his gaze on me.

“Ah, it is well o. I didn’t know o”

I respected with utmost sincerity medical doctors trained abroad.

If nothing, I knew they had been trained with probably the best technologies ever.

“This is the divorce letter. My lawyer brought me a copy today because I requested for it.” She said, spreading it in the bed and I shivered as I held it in my hands.

Tears rolled down my face.

“Mummy, this can’t happen! No!” I cried loudly

“Daughter, Let me do it. That would give me joy. Enough of deception and camouflage. Its time to tell the whole world that I had been a candle in the wind all the while and that since I dont have a shed anymore, I am giving it up to the wind”

“Mummy, don’t give up at all. Please, don’t” I cried the more

….but her mind was made up!

Her phone rang

She picked it up

She winked at us and then placed it on the loud speaker

“Hello hon” she said

“You are awake now?” He asked

“Yes”

“I was to go to South Africa but unfortunately, I have been reassigned to anchor a revival next week. I cant go again”

“That’s not unfortunate at all hon. They want you to have enough time for the wife of your youth. Love things you know? I have missed you”

He laughed loudly

“Sweetheart! Funny you! Miss me when I just left you few minutes ago?”

Tears rolled down her cheeks

“Did you even know that I am sick? Do you know?” She cried

“Sweetheart! Let the weak say I am strong… Let the poor say I am rich, because of what the Lord has done….” He sang Don Moen’s song so sonorously.

I looked into mummy’s face and I really felt devastated.

She looked lonely and lost.

“Dear, come on stop it! Please do! I am not fine. I am tired of everything. I mean everything as a whole. This marriage isn’t working anymore. I want it over! I quit!”

She screamed ‘I quit’ three times before dropping the call.

She panted for few minutes before collecting the bottle of water Tony extended to her.

She gulped almost three times before looking up.

… And she smiled!

<<<<It Continues still>>>

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/05/candle-wind-episode-11/
Re: The Candle In The Wind by joanee20(f): 3:22pm On May 16, 2016
Wonderful.. am loving this story

1 Like

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 4:57pm On May 16, 2016
Episode 12

The gate opened and mummy pastor moved to the window to peep.

“Its him” she said and turned back to the bed.

She picked the divorce form, put it inside a large brown envelope and moved to the door.

“Mummy, please don’t do this to us. Please” I cried out loud and she looked back at me.

“Just watch! Shush your mouth! ” She exclaimed and I became mum, still crying.

She opened the door and we followed, tiptoeing.

As she desended down the stairs, we hid behind the balcony and watched from up the stairs.

“Dearie, what was that call about? Exactly what?” He asked as he dropped his briefcase.

Mummy pointed the brown envelope into his face.

“Exactly this” she said.

Pastor collected it, checked and went down on his knees.

“Don’t do this to my ministry please. Please don’t!” He raised his hands towards her and she pushed them away.

“That’s it! The real you! You are very selfish! As selfish as anything! His ministry first. His wife could die for all he cared but his ministry shouldn’t” she was almost screaming

“But would you love the ministry to die? Why are you talking like this? Why?”

“Your ministry was long dead dearie!” Mummy shouted loudly

“What!” He exclaimed loudly too, charging at her defensively.

“You want to beat me? Please talk to me Kelvin! You really wanted to?” She asked in a shaky voice.

“God forbids that I do that. I can never lay my hands on you. I can never beat you”

“Is this the first time you would beat me? You have beaten me on several occasions hon. You have” her voice shook

“You’re talking strangely. First, you said my ministry had long failed. Then, you said I had beaten you. What is it?”

“Your ministry failed when your marriage failed Kelvin! You ministry failed when Gem and Ruby started smoking, drinking and clubbing. Your ministry failed when Rose, your only daughter started delving into prostitution as if it was her profession. Your ministry had long long failed Kelvin!”

She started crying as Pastor stood up from his kneeling posture.

“What are you saying?” He said again as he sat down.

“You have beaten me several times. You beat me when you moved out of this house and rented another apartment outside.”

“That was to give you privacy”

“What stupid privacy is that? I ask again. Talk! What stupid privacy is needed between a husband and a wife? What?”

Pastor looked shocked

“Did you just say stupid? Did you just say so?” He asked

“Yes I did… Because I am mad! I did because I no longer use my brain. You sent all children abroad against my wish.wasn’t that a huge slap?”

“I only wanted the best for them”

“And who says the best is only abroad? Since we didn’t agree and you just took laws into your hands, treating my opinion as trash, it was a slap”

“I will change dear. Just tear this form. Tear it. God hates divorce!”

“Yes he does! But the separation for how many years now would be called what? When last did we meet as husband and wife? When last did you say you love me? When? Exactly when?”

Pastor’s head was bowed low.

“You’re simply a wicked, insensitive pretentious, bad hypocrite!” She exclaimed again.

“I have been a good wife to you. I had obeyed and submitted to you all day long. What have I gotten in return? Heartache, hate, bitterness, sickness and death!”

She fell on the cushion and cried to stupor!

Pastor knelt beside her and they both wept.

“Dear, I didn’t know you were hurting. I felt that I was the only one that felt that our marriage was in shambles. I knew something was wrong but I couldn’t place it” he cried.

“You tried prayers too?” She asked defiantly.

“Yes I did but I gave up when it seemed like I was failing and all seemed worst. I will change dear. Give me another chance” he cried.

“Sign the paper” she cried on

“Dear, no! I still love you” the pastor said.

She held his shoulders and shook him.

“Sign it!” Her voice rose the more.

“No love! I will make it work again! I will rock you in my arms like a baby and carry you upstairs when you fall asleep. I will go back to the way we started before. I will sing for you, bring back our children, we will have a very large and lasting reunion. Just trust me again dear. Please”

“Empty promises!” She exclaimed.

He shook his head vigorously.

“Not empty this time around. I am serious. Ok, any goal without a deadline is as good as dead. Give me a week. All would be new again” he said, going on his knees again.

“And I wouldn’t be dead by then? She asked

“Dead? God forbid!” He exclaimed hurriedly

“Put it in writing” she said

“That?…” He asked looking at her intently

“All these promises you have made. Write them down because after a week, it would be all over if there is still no change”

He unzipped his bag, picked a paper and a pen and scribbled something down. He gave it to her.

She nodded affirmatively

“Sign here” she said again and he obliged.

“All because of your ministry shae?” She asked again and he shook his head.

“Not totally… Because of both my family and our ministry” he said, standing up and straightening up.

“Where are you going to?” She asked, looking up at her

“To pack my load from that house. I am coming back home” he said, moving to the door.

Mummy pastor smiled.

He looked back at her.

“Would you love to go with me?” He asked and mummy smiled

“To prove to me that my husband has changed?”

“Wifey, I promise to be a better man, husband and father. I really do mean it” he said and as he looked at her, he picked up the divorce paper and tore it to pieces.

“We wouldn’t be needing this.” He said and I said a bug amen! in my mind.

I loved the style everything took.

It was cool!

As pastor pulled her close to himself, his arm round her neck, mummy looked back at us and smiled.

Then, I saw the tears!

Oh my God!

What expression was that?

Sadness?

Happiness?

What was running through her mind?

That it was too late to mend?

Was she going to die now that we can see silver lining overshadowing the dark clouds?

God please intervene again!

Nothing is impossible for you!

And thanks for this sudden turnaround.

I was happy.

I stood up from the stooping position from which I had watched the drama from upstairs and I met Tony’s open smile.

I felt butterflies in my belly.

The space between us was narrow and I inhaled his scenting shaving cream.

I took a closer look at the face of the man of my dreams- all the contours and all.

From his full eyebrows, to his very white eyeballs, the fleshy nose… I could see the nostrils… His lips.. Oh my!

“Hmmmm… Flee all youthful lust o!” He exclaimed, still in that position

I came back to my senses.

This guy is too blunt!

I summoned courage

“Why were you standing so close?” I asked

“Why were you looking into my face intently. You wanted to commit sin?” He asked again and blood rushed into my ears.

This guy wouldnt kill me with this outrageous level of his bluntness o!

As I turned to go, I noticed the smile on his face.

It was somehow.

“What is it again!? Why are you gazing so deeply!?” I asked too.

The smile was still on.

“Precious” he called out and I looked on

“What?” I almost shouted

“If it’s not the candlelight and balloons, what style do you love since you hate surprises” He asked, the contemptuous smile still on his face.

… and I died!

Simply died!

My ears, heart, mind, soul, spirit, all stopped!

>>It continues<<<<

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/05/candle-wind-episode-12/ ‎E

2 Likes

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Missmossy(f): 5:50pm On May 16, 2016
Aww such a beautiful piece,more wisdom to you. Kudos.

3 Likes

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 9:26am On May 17, 2016
Missmossy:
Aww such a beautiful piece,more wisdom to you. Kudos.

Thanks dear smiley
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 9:36am On May 17, 2016
Episode 13

The rain just refused to stop!

As I lay still on my very hard and comfortable bed with my eyes shut firmly, I felt that strong, muscular palm on my head.

It was so warm.

It felt so warm that I never wanted it to be taken away from me.

I wanted it to touch every parts of my body- my face, my arms, my big belly, my legs…even my heart if possible!

It felt so good to have my husband back.

It felt really good!

“The Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His light to shine upon you…”

My husband prayed on and on.

Should I just pretend like this while he prayed on?

Or should I open my eyes and smile at him saying that I heard and felt his touch?

“Oh my God! Oh no my Lord!” he cried out still

What was that about?

Was he moaning?

Was he crying or lamenting?

What was the matter?

Should I open my eyes?

I feared that he was seeing a vision and that opening my eyes would disrupt the flow so I kept mum, praying silently.

“I shall never lose my wife…ah no Lord! Oh God!” he labored on in prayer and my heart started beating fast.

What was the problem?

God was speaking to him?

A week had already passed from the two weeks ultimatum I had given him before the ‘divorce’…and he was doing prettily well in his remedial efforts.

I wished something could extend the years I would live on earth.

I had stopped all medicine and even chemo had been placed on a halt.

He was changing- he held my hands while we prayed; he prepared food for me, he looked into my eyes so deeply as if to read my thought (the part I loved most)and he allowed me to fall asleep in his arm while we watched the new MZFM TV station on CONSAT(I wondered if he never realized how light I felt)

Of a truth, a man does not know the value of a thing until he loses it!

If nothing, – if I was going to die, I wanted it to be in the arms of the first lover of mine because that would be the greatest joy of my life.

The rashes on my body had increased and I felt very pained.

When am I going to be healed from this Leukemia oh Lord?

Is there no longer any balm in Gilead?

Heal me oh Lord and I promise to be a better wife- a better mother!

As his hands moved over my face, I felt life surge through my veins- the hands were trembling seriously

What was happening to him?

Was he crying?

“Lord Jesus, I have really been a bad husband and father. I have missed it. Forgive me Lord”

I felt tears drop to my body and I was tempted to really open my eyes.

“What’s wrong?” I asked in a husky tone. He was holding my hand prayerfully and I sighed

His eyes were really teary and his eyes were red!

“I suddenly realized that you are growing old and I am pained!” he cried the more and tears ran down my face.

What a realization!

“What’s wrong with you?” I asked again and he cried louder the more.

He covered his face with his hands and wept bitterly

I cried uncontrollably too

If my frame alone could make him cry this much, what would the revelation of my present health state do to him?

What?…exactly what?!

But why must he come to his senses just now oh dear Redeemer?

“You look so lean. Your skin looks so rough and what are these spots? You bald head has little stands of grey hair and they even look weak! When did you become this old? When did I become this insensitive? I never knew! Oh my goodness!” he cried further, sitting on the ground with a great thump

I tried to laugh in order to console him but cries were my portion!

Why was life being unfair to me oh Lord?

“Are you sick? Is there anything I don’t know? Anything at all? Please tell me. I really do want to know. Please”

He looked into my face intently and my heart shattered into pieces

“Oh my husband” I exclaimed as hot tears ran down my suddenly hot face.

This was just too late!

“Tell me please. Please do” he said again, squeezing my shoulders softly.

“Yes, I am dying” I dropped the words and he shut his eyes firmly while tears streamed down his cheeks.

There was no retort of any kind!

Where was the man who always preached faith at any slightest headache of mine?

“Oh my God! Oh my God!! Oh my God!!!Why was I busy tending to your flock without…oh my God! Who am I to question you Lord? Of course I failed you!” his anguish continued.

That was so true!

My husband’s major spiritual gifts were knowledge and discernment but he never for once knew nor did he discern what his heartthrob was going through.

He never did!

“Oh God! Why? Why? Oh why?” he lamented, sitting on the bed and banging his legs on the floor forcefully.

I smiled bitterly.

He turned abruptly and held my hands.

“Is it cancer?” he asked and I looked deep at him.

“Your spiritual antenna is sharp again.” I said as my head asked for lack of tears to shed.

My veins thumped almost loudly.

“My father! Cancer?” he exclaimed

“Cancer!” I mimicked him and he looked at me intently again

“Blood Cancer?” he asked assuredly and I nodded bitterly.

Why was it now that his gift of knowledge is at work?

Why could he not sight this earlier on?

How could he not foresee?

Why my Lord?

“I was sharp-eyed to the matters of my church members but I was blind…I was insensitive…I was totally dead to my…oh Lord! My wife! My beautiful, supportive wife…the wife of my youth! Oh my God!” he broke down into another fit of tears.

He was totally broken!

“And I have watched ‘Busy but Guilty’ but the Mount Zion Ministry oooo….how did I fail? How on earth did I fail? What unguarded moment of mine did the devil use against me oh Lord?” he cried bitterly.
I sat up from my sleeping position and looked across the room at the wall clock.

“Dearie, it’s still very early in the morning. It’s just two o’clock. Let’s sleep please.” I tried to say.

There were no other words in my mouth to utter.

He was crying – his hefty, muscular frame shook to the extent that it scared me.

I hope he wasn’t going to break

“My dear, the two weeks ultimatum you gave me for the divorce was the time given to you by the doctor to live right?” he asked, his eyes looking fierce.

I looked at him as he spoke on.

That’s my husband!

The one that sees what an ordinary man cannot!

But it’s too late!

“Yes. So, by the doctor’s dictate, I have just few more days to go” I said again and he stood up.

“The doctor’s dictate is not the Lord’s dictate!” he almost screamed. He walked to the wardrobe and checked through. He moved to the shelves, then to the table.
He picked up his Bible…tears ran down still.

“My God is never late!” he repeated as if he was singing- his voice shaking really bad!

I looked on at him.

I wished he was there when I was battling with this illness at the inception.

Probably I would have clung to his faith and fought this cancer with all the breath in me.

But….it’s too late…just too late!

“My God still has spare parts” he said as he wore his slippers.

His words reiterated in my ears but I had great doubts.

I was supposed to have the bone marrow transplant and much radiation with chemo but I didn’t do it.

I had heard that it would effect, real, noticeable changes in my body and I didn’t want him to notice- or the members of the church either!

He came close to me, held my face gently but firmly.

I lost my stance and flashed back

That was how he used to hold me then our love still burnt…and I really loved it.

But instead of a passion-driven husband, I could see a desperately compassionate father and pastor on a mission.

He planted a quick peck on my lips —-it was nice!

“I will be back in the next 21 days. Prepare for me Pounded yam, Egusi soup with assorted stuffs and freshly squeezed squash juice by you.” He said as he clutched his bible to his chest.

“21 days? After 3 weeks?” I asked him

Did he know what he was saying?

I have few days left

He was leaving me again

Why oh Lord?

I need him best this time and he was leaving again

Tears rolled down my face and he bent down beside me. He held my knees.

“We will go to the USA to visit the kids thereafter. You hear?” he asked again and stood up.

He turned his back at me and cleared his throat

“Forgive me for my past insensitivity” he said and my head got swollen the more and I started real, loud, dry cry.

“I will go and I will meet you safely. Pull yourself together and be of good cheer. I love you” he said as he walked towards the door.

Was he crying again?

The door opened and then, it was slammed loudly!

He didn’t even take any cloth with him.

Where was he going to?

Didn’t he know that this case was a very difficult one?

I knew it wasn’t difficult for God but I still feel it was difficult!

Blood cancer!

Acute one at that!

But as the door slammed when he went out, something like a screw fell from my chest and I wondered what it was.

I looked around for the screw but it was nowhere to be found!

I felt somehow…indescribable!

Was it peace like a river?

Was it the love that emanated from a long-gone husband?

Was it sadness?

Was it the brokenness of my heart that he left me again?

I feel different! – I felt like shouting these three words to the air so that everyone could hear me.

>>>>It Continues still<<<<

Source:
http://gospelbreed.com/2016/05/candle-wind-episode-13/

1 Like

Re: The Candle In The Wind by missviva(f): 11:44am On May 17, 2016
This story is so sweet..I had 2 read it straight 4rm the blog..lol...keep it up bro

1 Like

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Missmossy(f): 3:20pm On May 17, 2016
Aww so enthralling,God still heals very well. Ride ön Jide...

3 Likes

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 4:55pm On May 17, 2016
missviva:
This story is so sweet..I had 2 read it straight 4rm the blog..lol...keep it up bro

Lolz... I guess you hate being placed on suspense. smiley
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 5:00pm On May 17, 2016
Missmossy:
Aww so enthralling,God still heals very well. Ride ön Jide...

Thanks for hanging on despite my delay in updating. I appreciate. smiley
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 5:02pm On May 17, 2016
Episode 14

I introduced the four pieces of drumsticks that I had bought from a chicken store today into the boiling oil in my enamel frying pan.

As the pieces of chicken cried, I danced to the rhythm of the song emanating from the television in the sitting room.

Joy! Joy!! Joy!!!

My phone rang and I went to the socket above my microwave to check who the caller was.

My heart started racing really bad!

Tony!

Since the blunt experience I had with him at the Pastor’s house, i couldn’t look into his face anymore.

I allowed the phone to ring on.

He called again but the limit alarm of frying pan sounded so i rushed there to turn the content, thereby missing the call again.

I laughed… Really satisfied that i was getting a ‘huge’ revenge.
He tried calling again

My heart rang fast to Pastor Idile and his wife.

Could it be that he had an urgent message to pass across?

I picked the call.

“Hello” he started

“Yes?” I really didnt have much tine to spend with someone who would tug at my emotions and then would leave me empty.

“How are you?”

“Fine”

“How was work today?”

I was getting bored abeg!

“Great thanks! Anything the matter?” I asked so curtly.

“Woukd you be around for the choir practice today?” He asked

I racked my brain so badly.

Today is Monday for God’s sake.

Choir practice was Wednesday.

“Oh sorry… Don’t mind me” he quickly replied and laughed sheepishly

“I forgot today is Monday…. But would you be around for the Bible Study?”

Funny question

“I have never missed it” that was my response.

Why was he behaving like that?

Was he missing me?

I shook my head at that thought.

Miss ke!

“Ok. See you then” he responded again and I laughed.

“Why are you laughing?” He asked

“Your behavior today is weird… ”

“In what sense?”

“You kept on stuttering as you spoke and i am left to wonder if all is well”

“All is well”

I went to my gas cooker and switched it off.

“Are you missing me?”

I didnt know when i asked the question.

“Yes” that came the prompt answer and my heart dropped.

I never expected him to reply and I felt blood gushed into my face.

“I really do miss you” he said again

My heart couldn’t bear it anymore.

I dropped the call and when it started ringing again, I switched off my phone.

Let this guy allow me eat my drumsticks in peace abeg!

I wasn’t just ready for any adrenaline malfunction that very day!

>>>>>
The passing out of the outgoing Batch A corps members was very near so the church decided to organize a special Sunday service for them as a send forth package.

The serving Batch B corps members were the ones organizing the programme and as I got to know that very day, Tony was the General Corpers Liaison Officer (CLO) for that local government so he was on the high table.

It had been two weeks now since I last saw Pastor Idile and when I asked mummy, she said that he was fine and he would be back soon.

The associate pastor had been the one in charge since then and though the services had been power-packed, it was nothing compared to Pastor Idile’s vibrancy and authority.

I really missed him, hoping that all was well with him since mummy was not opening up.

“We call on our general CLO to present his own thanksgiving message on behalf of his outgoing colleagues” the announcer said and there was a huge round of applause.

He stepped forward and I saw his attire…oh my!

It was huge!

Fully embroidered in pink, the well starched and ironed brown adire cloth hung down his slim frame.

He looked heavenly.

“Thank you Lord for this great opportunity. Thanks to my fellow corps member. Corpers wee o” he called out

“Waa oo” they echoed in response, jubilating happily

“It is not my turn yet to go but you guys have successfully ended your own portion of service to your fatherland and I say a bi congratulations to you all” he started and they screamed as they put their hands together

“You have achieved one or two things, I am sure, right?” he asked and they all chorused ‘Yes’

“Oyo State is a very good place to serve o. with about 6 months still remaining for me to spend here, I could say of all certainty that the lord had really done it in my own life as much.” He said and everyone listened with rapt attention.

“For me, God had done it in all ramifications. I left my job in the US to carry out an assignment in Nigeria and many job opportunities are lined up in front of me now that if I choose one, I would just have to resign at my working place in the US. So, in my career, God has done it!” he announced and everyone screamed, clapping.

I clapped too

“God used Pastor and Mrs. Idile for me so much, guiding me in the way that I should go and revealing the real truth of God’s word to me. So, spiritually, God has done it!

“Accommodation, relationship with people, financially, everything, God has done it” he said on and there were claps again

“Halleluyah!” somebody cried out from the congregation.

“Also, to cap it all, the Bible says he who finds a wife had found a good thing and obtained favor from the Lord. So, martially too, God has done it!” he said, smiling happily.

Everyone stood up, clapping, drumming, playing different instruments and all.

What expression was supposed to be on my face?

Happiness?

Joy?

Should I start crying?

I felt a real jab on my chest.

Why was I feeling this way?

Why was it too painful for me to bear?

“Tony never told me about the last aspect of his speech o.” the associate pastor said as he took over the microphone

There were different reactions from the people- excitement all over!

“So should we call on him so he could tell us what he meant by that ir so he would tell us who the lucky lady is?” the associate pastor asked, beaming with smiles.

How I wish the pastor knows that he is tampering with somebody’s heart right now.

How I wish!

I felt like my heart was arrested and the rib cage ransacked and broken into different pieces.

The pastor handed the microphone to Tony who was just laughing as he held it.

What a guy!

For his mind now, he thinks he is funny o…

I hissed as my lips shook out of anxiety.

“Sir, I wouldn’t like to disclose her identity now because I know the state of her heart. She doesn’t like this kinda public thing” he said and I sighed deeply

That was a nice one my guy!

I wonder what he meant before by disclosing all about him like that, all in the name of testimony!

The lady is lucky sha!

But I pity her o… that Tony guy is too blunt abeg!

As I smiled to myself, satisfied that he didn’t disclose what could have killed me that day, I looked around me to see if nobody had watched my reaction and all and from among the congregation, to my right hand side, I saw a solemn face looking deeply into my face.

I was dazed!

Who was that?

The look was not just sad…it was attacking!

It looked like it wanted to swallow me up.

Abigail!

Why was she looking like that?

I gave her a questioning face and tears dropped down her face.

She wiped it quickly and placed her head on the pew in front of her.

My heart jumped into my mouth.

Was anything wrong with Pastor Idile and his wife?

None of them was around in the church.

I stood up since all was standing and I walked over to her side.

I placed my hands on her shoulders gently and she turned to look at me.

As if my hands were fire, she shook my hands off her with a great alacrity.

“What’s the problem?” I asked her softly, trying not to interrupt the service.

I was confused.

“Leave me alone” she said almost loudly.
I was embarrassed as few people looked towards our side.

Thank God for my big stature.

With a hand covering her mouth, I pulled her out of the church, despite her struggling.

Oh God!

What sort of a thing is this?

“Leave me alone” she almost screamed
I did

She looked at me and charged at me.

“Wicked, hefty monster” she cried out and my heart froze

This was the best treble singer in the whole church

Sister Holiness unto the Lord!

What were these words coming out of her mouth?

Oh my goodness!

“Were we fighting before sister Abigail?”

“Don’t sister me! Miss seductress!” she continued to howl insults at me and I felt like dying as some women leaders were gathering already.

“Why would someone like him, choose you over me? Why? If not because jazz and seduction is involved. Why?” she started crying.

I was more than confused

What was she talking about?

“I don’t understand you” I tried to say.

“Liar! You think I don’t know of your vices? You think all your seductive acts eluded my eyes? You would come with the pretence of coming to take care of mummy but both of you would not even…” she continued and my spirit was vexed

That was an unclean spirit talking!

I refuse to be ignorant of the Devil’s handiwork

“I command quietness from above upon you unclean spirit in Jesus’ name!” I prayed from my spirit and she held her head and screamed.

She fell to the ground while the leaders watched on.

She started crying

“But, I am the one Tony loves…I loved him first before you did” she said.

Now I know why she was doing this.

“You had a crush on him?” I asked and she nodded

I pitied her

She was just like a small girl whose lollipop had been snatched away from her.

“Sorry dear. But you are wrong. I wasn’t the one he went up stage to talk about. I am a bit close to him too but I am just hearing this for the very first time” I tried to explain to her.

“It’s a lie!” she spat it into my face and I was embarrassed the more.

One of the leaders came to my side and hugged me gently

“Don’t be embarrassed my dear. It sometimes happened to her like that. We have warned her against such costly assumptions especially in regards to marriage but she has roped herself into another one, it seems. Sorry dearie” she said, trying to pull me away with them

I was speechless!

What exactly was happening?

I don’t have anything with Tony, so why this one?

Then, I remembered that very day we both went to the pastor’s house and she was trying to bar me from entering into the house and the look on her face…oh my!

I never even suspected much!

How Tony held my hands and pulled me inside, authoritatively as if I was his…
This sister read another meaning to that action!

Oh God of mercy!

This Tony guy won’t put someone into wahala o….what’s all these now? what?
How I wish Abigail could understand that she was not the only broken-hearted lady crush in this case.

…I was broken hearted too.

….Watch out for the Penultimate episode.

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/05/candle-wind-episode-14/
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Missmossy(f): 5:09pm On May 17, 2016
Olajhidey22:

Thanks for hanging on despite my delay in updating. I appreciate. smiley
Don't mention,you must have a life outside this section so its okay.

3 Likes

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Missmossy(f): 5:35pm On May 17, 2016
Ladies sha,really funny....keep it coming.

3 Likes

Re: The Candle In The Wind by missviva(f): 9:11pm On May 17, 2016
Can't wait 2 read the last episode ooooo....

1 Like

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 2:22pm On May 18, 2016
missviva:
Can't wait 2 read the last episode ooooo....

Smiles... Don't be curious yet wink... Still 2 more episodes to go though smiley

Thanks for following through!
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 2:27pm On May 18, 2016
Missmossy:
Ladies sha,really funny....keep it coming.

Thank God you observed that part.. Most ladies (if not all) are fond of this attitude. They actually feel something special for the opposite sex but they'll never admit that in public.

I wonder what force is behind such behavior. You are a Lady, so am sure you can explain this part better grin
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 2:28pm On May 18, 2016
Episode 15

What is with all these interrogation o Lord?

I never planned for such questions when I left the confines of my room that Sunday morning.

After the barrage of accusations bestowed on me during the service about Tony and I was ushered into the Associate Pastor’s room, it was as if I was being awaited to come and present my case.

Have you started praying at all?

Do you think you are getting any older?

My sister, pray!

What else are you waiting for?

You have different degrees, you have a Behind accommodation, a car, supportive parents, a very good job and most of all, Jesus!

Isn’t there any guy yet?

You want to finish Ph.D. first?

I was speechless but by the time they were done questioning me without waiting for my response, I was asked to go and that we would meet on Tuesday for the continuation of the talk after I might have prayed and God must have spoken to me.

That was right indeed!

When would my prayers for God’s divine revelation be answered?

Exactly when?

Wait!…am I really still praying as if I mean it?

I doubt it!

>>>>>

On Monday, I decided to fast and talk to God about the matter.

I couldn’t bear to go for the counseling session on Tuesday and have nothing to say to the pastor.

That would really show that I was not a responsible Christian.

I wouldn’t want to risk that.

I started praying from 12am on Monday morning on my knees.

I wept!

I opened my heart!

I looked up and imagined Calvary with all the goodness that Jesus’ blood promised.

God please speak!

I suddenly lost all the words.

I didn’t know what to say anymore.

There was a great calm and I tried to listen as I could.

What happened?

Why would there be a silence such as this?

My eyes firmly shut, my teeth tightly set with my fists balled up, I slept on the floor, almost hopeless.

“I have spoken” I heard silently and still in my position, I was perplexed.

“Who could have spoken now? I am alone in here and nobody could have gained entrance into the house.

“What did you say?” I asked again, now with a better concentration and commitment.

I heard nothing

God, plese speak again!

Was that you?

A very, huge and dark silence!

I became overwhelmed and sad.

Why exactly wouldn’t God talk to me?

I had read many books on what could be the cause of spiritual deafness and I couldn’t just imagine that after much sacrifices, God would still not hear nor speak to me!

I recently had my restitutions done!

Some lecturers that had gone to talk behind my back that I was a workaholic and whom I had already had in my mind- in malice, I confronted them. I went to meet them, told them they had hurt me and we settled.

All who have hurt me, I had forgiven.

The pledges, tithes and offerings of my income, I offered with a very open heart.

I was nice and welcoming!

Hospitability would be a very little word to describe how muc of a philanthropist I had become!

I had always abhorred very good and clean thoughts and so what could the problem be?

Why wouldn’t God speak to me?

He spoke and then suddenly to reaffirm that it was He, He had refused to say anything.

What could I do?

Immediately I realized that I was becoming very down in the spirit, I stood up from the floor and put my Bible away in my bed safe.

“You haven’t rounded off your prayers”

I heard something told me and I twisted my nose to a corner.

That had been the best of God I had ever had.

Was that my conscience talking to me?

I was already used to that one but I needed another real thing…something really GOD!

I walked to the mirror and saw my red, swollen eyes.

I wiped my face and my heart dropped again.

What was I going to tell the Pastor tomorrow?

What?

As I lamented and tears ran into my eyes again, my phone’s notification sound beeped and I picked it up to check.

It was a message.

I unlocked my phone and started reading the message.

This is to remind you of our Master Life Discipleship Class today at the University’s Worship Centre by 5.00pm. Come prepared and may God bless you.

I had totally forgotten

I jumped into the bathroom , jumped out in a jiffy and started to get ready for the service.

Though I wasn’t feeling great, I wondered what made me jump up that way.

I racked my brain the more and sighed.

Definitely not!

It definitely couldn’t have been because of Tony

Tony has a person already so what was the excitement of seeing him about?

It was just the joy of the Lord jare

I shrugged, trying to convince myself to think straight.

Since he was practicing in the College Hospital of the university where I taught, he worshipped in the school chapel sometimes and so he was made a discipleship teacher.

I just joined his class last three weeks when he invited me there and oh my!…

It’d been so wonderful!

He was a very good teacher!
>>>>>

The discipleship class was very fun and I really thanked the Lord because my bad mood and ingratitude at God just melted away like a candle beside the fire.

This Tony boy was just so blessed and anointed of God!

“God speaks in Diverse ways” was the topic and see how God just reassured me in so many ways.

Oh my!

All through the programme, though I envied the lady that had won this guy’s heart, I listened with rapt attention.

…and I was blessed!

“I thank all of you that came around to my church on Sunday to honor the outgone corps members. God bless you” he said and the members all responded well.

There was a loud laughter from a corner.

I looked towards the corner to check who it was.

Just then, there was a loud sigh from another corner and I looked at it again

What happened nah?

The sighs increased and I wondered what it was.

Tony had the perplexed look on his face too.

“What is it nah?” he asked and one girl cleared her throat, a very funny smile on her face.

“Hmmmm, our Oga has started keeping secrets from us o” one of the guys said.

That was when I knew that it was a planned one by the whole students —except me!

Tony smiled

“I don’t seem to understand you dearies” he said, carrying his Bible

“…even maritally God has done it!” one said, emphasizing the maritally well and I got it!

Oh gosh!

This wasn’t just fair!

What sort of a demeaning, embarrassing question was that oh Lord?

I shouldn’t have come for the discipleship class jare.

They just want to spoil my tummy for me and make me think one kind.

Tony smiled heartily

I looked at everyone present and I felt ashamed of myself!

They were all looking happy for him, smiling graciously.

I started practicing how to laugh a real, genuine laughter but as much as I tried to, it was not real at all.

“Of course nah. You want to know her?” he asked and they all screamed ‘Yes’

I didn’t want to be the odd one out, so I said ‘yes’ too.

“I will tell you” he said and I smiled though, but I cried in my heart. Itt felt as if I had really bad constipation in my heart!

Oh my father!

But the look on his face was not the usual bold, daring one

He was sweating under his nose and undr his lower lip.

Although he was smiling, there was something about the smile that I didn’t understand.

Was it afraid?

Or shy?

Or timid?

Something like that!

“She is a lecturer!” he blurted out and my heart skipped a beat.

“Hmmmm” the students exclaimed and clapped joyously.

Lecturer ke!

I just pray I don’t know the person o…if not, I pray I don’t act like Abigail!

“Tell us more” they screamed and he smiled again

“Her surname is Williams” he said again and they clapped again

That was my surname!

“The lady would pay for answering the same surname with me o” I tried to mutter and while everyone laughed loudly, he smiled- weirdly!

“And she is seated in here with us as Sister Precious” he seated, picked up his Bible and turned to go.

All eyes was on me and I was shocked.

My heart resigned from its duty for some seconds before I regained my wellness.

As if being consoled, I pulled him back by the collar.

I felt his shivers but I was in worse shivering too and I couldn’t help myself.

“Where were you going to?” I asked in a very shaky voice.

Everyone watched on.

Tony kept on looking downwards.

“You mean that after saying that kind of a thing, you expected me to jump up and say ‘oh, a great, handsome guy has proposed!’ was that your expectation?” I almost shouted.

The members of the other discipleship centers had started gathering to look at us.
“What audacity and effrontery do you have to say such a thing while turning back to leave? Exactly what? Answer me!” I shook him by the collar and he said nothing still.

“Are you a celeb? Even if! I don’t care. Is that your proposal? Even if I don’t like candles and fireworks, what sort of a thing is this? Exactly what? I am begging to marry you? Tell me”

I ranted on and I was shocked that my Mr. Macho had suddenly turned to ‘vegetables’
“What is happening here?” a voice came from behind me and I looked at him.

It was David, Tony’s closest friend.

He looked shocked as he quickly came to his friend’s rescue.

He hugged him and like a baby, Tony hid his face in his chest and held unto him tightly.

“Tony, what is it?” he asked and I watched on

Have I done something suicidal?

It was this guy that made me feel stupid as if getting married to him was a big deal or that I had no choice or something. That was why I did that jhur

They should stop making me feel guilty please!

“Oh, please don’t be angry at his sudden outburst” David said, looking at me intently.

I wondered how Tony explained the matter to him when I was so close to them and I heard nothing from their mouths

Their friendship codes must be really tight o!

I could only nod.

“It’s his first time” David said again and Tony sobbed loudly

“Awwwww” one group member said

“No wonder!” another group member said

I turned to look around and all eyes were fully set on me.

Chai!

Was it my fault that he had never propose to any lady before?

But wait o…

Its weird jhur!

Someone of that caliber- from a prestigious hospital in the exposed and sultry America had never asked a lady out?

Of course, he is outdated!

David led Tony away and I felt empty inside.

What drama just unfolded?

I wasn’t a naturally hot tempered person…so what happened?

Was I too overjoyed that I didn’t even know what I was doing?

But….

Even if this guy didn’t know the right way to go by it, couldn’t he ask colleagues to give him clues as to how to do these things?

Couldn’t he?

He still has his faults abeg!

“You still have your own faults my dear” that was undoubtedly Alice’s voice and I felt a jab in my heart.

Alice had been my friend from the secondary school and we have had things in common for a long time- she was a lecturer too.

Tony was her greatest crush!

I would never had wanted her to watch this kind of drama- never!

But here she was!

“You have things go easy for you Precious that you sometimes lose focus” she said

Although I felt for her that she must have had her heart broken by this unexpected proposal, I couldn’t stand this long talk of accusation.

“You were not here at the beginning of the whole thing. So who are you to judge?” I retorted and still maintaining a stern face, she shook her hand.

“But you should know that I am too intelligent not to fix my storyline together even if I start watching the drama from the middle” she said, smiling mockingly.

Of course I know!

She was a really great raconteur- she tells tales as if she was there when they happened!

But she shouldn’t bring that in here please

“You hated surprises and according to the story you earlier told me, you told him you hated candles and fireworks or whatever…the poor guy asked you what you liked then and you thought he was asking for asking sake? Of course no! Oh how I hate clueless people!” she exclaimed and buried her head in her hands.

Oh!

I now understand!

I didn’t faint when all these happened

Instead, I gained more strength to pull at his collar.

His method was actually the one that could curtail my rubbish heart from fainting unnecessarily!

Oh my!

I never saw it in that light

Never!

This guy had won again!

Oh Alice!

Oh my!

Oh Tony!

As the crowd dispersed, grumbling, mumbling and gisting as they went, I sat down beside Alice and buried my head into my hands too.

The flashes of the vision I had earlier where I saw Tony and I came to live in my skull television.

How he drove my car
How he called me MMR

How he looked deeply into my eyes

How we were clad in the same type of attire

How he had always appreciated my rare big stature in real life

How he had possessively held my hands when we were before Abigail!

Oh my!

I was just so clueless!

Of course, Alice must have a strong hatred for clueless people like me.

Hmmmm…

Just then, my mind went to the reason we were brought together in the vision.

If the coming together of Tony and I was already coming to pass, chai! That would spell a real, thick trouble o.

A real, thick one!

I saw as Mummy Pastor bled so much that she died and the whole church gathered round her to mourn her and pastor wept!

“I reject it in Jesus’ name” I screamed suddenly.

Alice looked up at me questionably but I was not in the mood to start saying anything further!

It’d been three weeks since I saw her and oh my! I hadn’t visited her!

The lectures had been really hectic especially as I was dealing with final year students.

I packed my stuff quickly and pecked Alice.

“I am sorry friend and thanks for the bash! I’ve got to go somewhere urgently” I said and ran out of the hall with Alice’s eyes following after me- I was so sure!

>>>>>
I was so weak!

But I wouldn’t die!

Not at all!

I had been on this mountain for three weeks now without food, water or change of raiment.

The pajamas that I wore that very day I left home was the only thing on me.

The dew of heaven had been my source of bath since I got there.

Of a truth, the saying that one should pray so that one wouldn’t pray was a real big advice!
Because I failed in my responsibility as a father and a husband, I knew that only God could have mercy once again and heal my family.

I was clueless about everything!

I had been a man who had desired a very happy home and it had been the case.

I had a really beautiful wife and three intelligently wonderful kids.

All went well until I started cheating on my wife!

Of course that was what it was or what was another name for neglecting one’s own wife and moving out of the house to another to get glued to a ministry?

That was cheating of the highest other!

With her wonderful hat and expensive suits that I bought her for the ministry’s occasion, she would enter my car every Sunday with no complaints.

She would peck me and pray for me

I thought she enjoyed me being away from her….how the devil deceived me!

Oh how clueless I was!

My wife had been blown around like that for a very long time and I didn’t know!

She had gone through the painful stress of chemo and I never knew

The Holy Spirit didn’t tell me

Oh my Father!

She had been the candle in the wind all along.

She had her light up no matter what!

The candle kept on shining and enduring the wind as it blew violently

But the wind was too powerful!

The candle couldn’t stay alive anymore…

It died!

I shuddered at the reality of what was on ground and started to pray again.

“God have mercy!” I cried on

“Go home” the Spirit told me.

I was so conversant with the voice that I was convinced that it was him.

“I should go home when I don’t know whatever my fate is? I should go home when the doctor had dictated the path the destiny of my wife was taking? Obviously not oh Lord!” I cried and tried to hold onto the leg of the Lord as if I could see it so he would replace everything in my wife’s body again.

“Go home” the spirit said again and my heart dropped.

The voice didn’t give me peace!

It was just a wary command and I was shaken.

I fell on the rocky surface again and cried the more.

“Pastor!” I heard that voice faintly and I was shocked!

Who could that be?

That was a feminine voice and how did she get to know where I was?

I tried far into my farm to start on the mountain in it.

Who could have known about it?

“Daddy!” another voice echoed and I was dazed

It wasn’t getting funny any longer.

That was a male voice.

They were running and panting.

“Pastor Idile!” the feminine voice cried out again and I became scared the more.

My resolve was that I would not leave this place till I got news that my wife was well again but those voices were not nice.

The Spirit’s voice wasn’t assuring either.

I stood up and looked towards the north where the voices were sounding from and I saw them coming!

Tony and Precious!

“Tony!” I shouted and he looked at me and started running again

“Daddy!….ah, thank God” he screamed

“Precious, what has happened?” I asked faintly and they came before me.

As if being controlled, they held their knees, panting heavily and trying to find the right words.

I surprisingly had a great deal of patience though my heart thumped so loudly and violently.

Tony looked up and oh my!

The red eyes and nose!

Precious started sobbing and looked up at me

Tears!

I fell to the ground again and resolved that I was going to die on the mountain too.

“Daddy, you have to come with us” Tony said hopelessly and I looked into Precious’ face for moral support but her negative nods killed it all.

“Oh God, why?” I cried aloud, my hands were raised to the heavens.

I shook so terribly but I had no choice!

If I would faint or die, this wilderness would still be the most appropriate place.

Oh God!

“Just go home” the spirit said again.

My heart shattered into different irreparable pieces!

>>>To Be Continued<<<

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/05/candle-wind-episode-15/
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 3:59pm On May 18, 2016
@Obinnau. What's your take on this?
Re: The Candle In The Wind by luciangelymail(f): 9:03pm On May 18, 2016
Ola dear, don't stop pls, so intriguing

1 Like

Re: The Candle In The Wind by virtuedagirl(f): 9:11pm On May 18, 2016
Thanks for the updates,this story is really interesting,hum i'm scared about mummy pastor and i fell daddy's prayer is somehow late,for Tony that proposal was something else oo and to Percious God don pick ur calls.2 me where my tony dey now?Ola i love your stories as the come with great lessons,more grace sir.

1 Like

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 12:43pm On May 19, 2016
Roaster Call

Heemah
DandyPearl
Bellovers
Sageez
Afz9095
Ysadiq
DVMtuppence
Calmdove
Domido
Maggielovely
Rukkydelta
Damyem
Mutdam
Olaxtra
Daslad
M003
Ernie98
Kingphillip
Youngseraph
Emerald18 Jhybho
Fiyah
Chinwezdasilva
Jsharp
Adajiboyy
Ideatoprince18
Deesquare01
Nidaxj
Snowangel
Gbens2000
Spdazzy
Mattkent
Dimssy
Hefelove
Iyoha240

1 Like

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 12:45pm On May 19, 2016
luciangelymail:
Ola dear, don't stop pls, so intriguing

Aww!! Not to worry dear... I won't disappoint smiley
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 12:50pm On May 19, 2016
virtuedagirl:
Thanks for the updates,this story is really interesting,hum i'm scared about mummy pastor and i fell daddy's prayer is somehow late,for Tony that proposal was something else oo and to Percious God don pick ur calls.2 me where my tony dey now?Ola i love your stories as the come with great lessons,more grace sir.

Thanks so much virtuedagirl. I really appreciate you taking time to read those stories through. God bless.

About Mummy pastor? You'll get to find that out soon smiley
Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 12:51pm On May 19, 2016
Episode 16

It’d been a big struggle to quit my addictions!

Same for my big bros!

How the whole thing started was actually what I did not understand!

Drugs, incest, cigars, clubbing, serious fashion lifestyle, all!

Dad never envisaged this happening to his kids-neither did we tho!

Although since we were young, we had always thought of being ‘big boys’ and’ big girl’, you know that kind stuff shae?

I never really loved church!

I used to like it when we were in the children church where we sang, ate biscuits and sipped caprisone but immediately we got to the youth church, we were compelled to fast to church, yet, dad would still be asked to wait for meetings after meetings.

Oh those Sundays!

It was different from what I watched on TV or what my friends had told me about their own churches.

There was so much freedom in their churches but ours had always been solemn- no this, no that!

In the long hours of the message, we would start dozing and then nodding like agama lizards, shaking our crossed legs in order to show that we were following in the Spirit!- such pseudo!

While peeping to see if mum was watching, her smiling face would greet me, laden with really loud undertone that I read to be ‘Ride on sleeper!’ and then she would look back at her husband, nodding as the message sunk into her being.

What was she learning from the biblical gibberish he was narrating?

Those were the strange thoughts that my brain processed whenever I watched on.

I just realized that the Spirit of God comes in a small still voice most time while at another time, he could come as a mighty rushing wind!

So, even in very solemn assemblies of God’s children, without bang or boom, God would be present as they offered themselves holily before God!

The age difference between Ruby, Gem and I was a year each so by the time both of them graduated, they didn’t do well in their international examination and dad wanted them to study abroad by all means.

Dad’s dream though!

But we loved it!

The joy of going abroad, posing with different wonders of the world and pasting them on my Facebook wall was mind-boggling;

The excitement of leaving this dark continent was killing;

My brothers wanted to go badly and by the time I graduated, we all passed the IOEFL exams and off to America we went!

It was to my dad’s greatest joy and my mum’s displeasure

We all wept as she hugged us goodbye but we had to go.

Looking back at that time, I wish we had never left!

I wish we had stuck close to those boring sermons for one day, we would have found it as honey in our mouths and music to our souls!

I wish we had been under mum’s gentle but disciplinary measures and dad’s strict correctional measures too!

I wish we had stayed in our fatherland because being groomed by the noise of generator and being bruised by mosquitoes alone could have been enough discipline to make us sane!

I wish!
I wish!
Oh I wish!

We left years ago and coming back now, it was a great difference.

We were no longer the kids our mother used to think we were!

We knew a whole lot about sex- oh mine!- we practiced incest!

We smoked stuffs!!

We used drugs

We went to clubs to dance and all!

We rocked ‘real’ fashion!

But for money issues, we would have done real plastic surgeries!

For us, we were not influenced by friends o!

We had seen people around do it and we wondered why they could do it and our own parents kept on restricting us!

All these vices we engaged in were all out of curiosity

I wished dad and mum had told us that our bodies were really precious to us

They told us though but we thought that they were just being religious about it

How I wish they had been more explicit about these truths!

How I really do wish!
While the three of us rode in our small car from the movie theatre in Los Angeles where we had gone to see a movie, I received a call from Abigail that we should come home immediately.

“Are you for real? Come back home? You think this is Lag?” I had blurted out that day

“I am sorry but you have to find all the means to come back home” she argued

“I think you are sick Ab! What is the problem?” I was getting angry.

“Mummy is dead!” she exclaimed and I chuckled

“What?” I asked to be sure

It sounded too unrealistic and plastic!

“What!” I exclaimed as my brain booted for a second

“what do you mean?” I screamed and the car screeched to a halt as Ruby and Gem looked back at me with questioning eyes.

I dropped the phone and my head was blocked.

“What does that mean?” I asked dumbly, my heart, muddled up.

“What’s it?” Ruby asked, his eyes widened

“Did somebody die?” Gem asked, expectantly and I nodded

“That was what Abigail said” I said and they both held my hands as if being controlled

“Who?” they asked almost together

“She said mum” I still said on.

I was unable to decode the message well, so I was seated, blinking hard as if my brain depended on them to function well

It was a riddle unsolved!

“What! Mum’s dad? Are you fucking kidding me right now?” Ruby screamed

If nothing, the guys had been mum’s favorite for a long time now.

“And you are still talking and all? It's definitely impossible!” Gem cried out too.

Ruby placed his head on the steering and broke down into tears.

“Mum, You can’t die ma. I won’t wear these god-forsaken rings again. I will throw them away bt die, no!” he cried and started removing the rings he was wearing.

Those had always been the cause of argument between him and mum before we left Nigeria.

Mum said those numerous rings made him to look like a criminal and that she didn’t want that for him.

As they wept, the pictures of mummy smiling, praying on her knees, correcting us in love, caring and laying her hands on dad all relived in my brain and my heart became swollen.

The swelling reached my brain and my whole head became large and heavy.

My eyes couldn’t bear the pains that suddenly befell it and immediately, they became clouded and blurry.

I placed my head on the driver’s seat and my tears flowed.

Oh precious mum!

As I held her already death-infested, cold and stiff hands, my tears fell upon her lifeless body and I placed my hands on her chest.

Her eyes were tightly shut but the smile on her face remained there- though, very dry!

“Mummy, I had always caused you tears. I had always behaved like a prodigal daughter. I had never for once done you any proud but I know your worth and I really do love you. I can’t believe you are dead mum…” I cried on, tears still streaming down my face.

Ruby screamed again as he turned back from the window side from which he had been staying for long.

“Mum, you can’t just die. We didn’t release you to death and you are going nowhere” he cried aloud.

Abigail sobbed loudly.

“She died since Tuesday and it’s already Thursday. Her doctor even used some embalming chemicals on her if not; she would be smelling by now.” Abigail explained and Ruby charged at her with his blood-shot eyes.

“What do mean? For how many days was Lazarus dead before Jesus raised him?” he asked and no one answered

“Well, that is even the tip of an iceberg sef. A whole army died and they had already dry bones….dry…very dry I mean but what happened when God asked the Son of Man if the bones could live?….” he asked on rhetorically

“They lived eventually” Gem replied, teary.

“They were raised up as a very mighty army and God promised life to Israelites that no matter how grave the situation could be, he would come to the situation and save them.Read Ezekiel 37” Ruby preached on.

I watched on

From Ruby who was delivering the sermon, to Gem who was nodding as an enthusiastic listener…

I was really dazed!

When did my brothers become pastors like this?

While we travelled down to Nigeria, we all held our hands to get strength from one another and as we sat down, we cried silently when we thought about so many things.

Everyone noticed us..

But a man on the same row with us noticed us more.

He smiled at us and my brothers looked away irritated

“What sort of a Job’s comforter is this oh Lord?” Gem complained but Ruby just adjusted his seat and plugged his earphone.

So the man would not feel embarrassed, I smiled back at him and he started talking with me.

He was a Neuro surgeon and I was studying Neuro sciences too so it was easier for him to get me through that.

I told him about my problems and what had happened to my mum.

He started to preach to me in a way that I had never heard before.

He stirred my faith and consoled me, saying that all would be well whether she eventually lived or not.

My brothers weren’t listening so how did they get to hear all these?

Where did they get such a kind of faith from?

Exactly where?

“While on board today, a doctor told us that if we have faith like mustard seed, we can move any mountain…I don’t think you have seen a mustard seed before but I have seen it, I have eaten it. Even if I hadn’t been a good boy, it’s never too late. That was what he said and funny enough, I believe it.” he said on and I was amazed.

He actually was listening to the man on te plane then.

“No other choice but to believe it as long as it’s gonna bring back my momma” Gem rapped on, tears stains on his face

“Exactly. I have nothing as I stand. No dime! Only drugs, cigar, beer, whisky, vodka, nonsense! They can’t revive mum” Ruby almost screamed loudly.

“Those things didn’t revive Nancy when she died last month. In fact, those things killed her…oh shit!” Ruby lamented on and on

Nancy was the love of his life.

They had always loved each other until she died of Tramadol overdose last month.

It was a real trying time for us all as Ruby couldn’t take charge of himself no more!

“If Jesus could wake my mum again o, chai! I swear that I would give all over to him. I would be a changed guy. I will drink no more, smoke no more, and fornicate no more, no more sin! I swear!” Ruby cried on as he knelt down beside mummy, placed his head on her tummy.

“She died of blood cancer! It was the second relapse of the chemotherapy. Even fibroid was another thing.” Abigail said again.

She was obviously worn out and tired.

Ruby looked up strictly, stood up, pulled Abigail’s hands and dragged her towards the door.

“I used to think that you were a Christian. You were always preaching to us over the phone. So, where is that faith? Where is the faith that Mr. Douglas talked about? Where?” he said firmly
as he dragged her out

“I was only saying the fact…” she defended herself

“No fact is needed here gal, only faith!” Gem said and I looked up at him.

Even Gem!

“Gerrarahere please! I don’t want anyone who isn’t strong to fight this battle with me.” He said as he jammed the door

He dusted his hands together after turning the key over and over again to lock it.

“No wonder God ordered Joshua to screen the thousands of men first before they started the battle. God doesn’t fight according to the number of people available. He is present where two or more people are gathered” he said as he walked back to the bedside.

“Anyone with shaky faith here should go out of this room.” He said and there was no movement.

“If you all have faith, join your hands with mine then” he said again and we all joined our hands together and we went on our knees.

“Oh Lord, we are sinners…all of us!” he started the prayer of confessing our sins.

The sins, especially our incest act alone would kill mum even if God decided to raise her up.

“Since we have confessed all our sins and have promised never to go into them again by your grace, we pray that you help us oh Lord in Jesus’ name” he prayed on

“Amen” we all replied.

“Father, heal our mother. Her blood had been said to be cancerous before she died and she had been said to even have fibroid. One thing I believe is that you have our spare parts in your hands” Ruby prayed on and I opened my eyes to gaze at them.

They were both sweating profusely and shaking all the members of their bodies.

“Oh yes Lord” Gem replied, opening his mouth and closing it as if he had eaten something peppery.

“Toyota has spare parts for all its products, same for Sony, same for LG, so for all other producers. Then let’s talk more of our own God whom we do not deserve even to call on” he prayed on

How did he get such prayer points?

When last did we step into a church?

It was so strange to me but I loved the feeling of it.

“And Lord, since the salvation of three dirty children depends on it here Lord, glorify your name. please oh Lord.” Gem cried too.

I swallowed hard.

I was the only one who hadn’t been touched by whatever had touched these people of mine o.

Only me!

God have mercy!

I closed my eyes firmly and remembered Sunday school, I remembered the little things we had been taught ever.

I wept bitterly

But I didn’t feel anything special

I didn’t feel anything that would make me weep and quote scriptures like my brothers did.

I felt really bad

I wanted to experience it too…

I was constipated…

>>>>>Watch-out for the Last Episode<<<<<<<

Source: http://gospelbreed.com/2016/05/candle-wind-episode-16
Re: The Candle In The Wind by gbens2000(m): 4:36pm On May 19, 2016
okay am here av read the first part am getting intrested a lil bit,i av to continue read b4 i make my criticism.lets see how it goes kudos

1 Like

Re: The Candle In The Wind by Olajhidey22(m): 5:19pm On May 19, 2016
gbens2000:
okay am here av read the first part am getting intrested a lil bit,i av to continue read b4 i make my criticism.lets see how it goes kudos

Thanks pal! Your criticism is highly entertained. Take your time to read through smiley
Re: The Candle In The Wind by virtuedagirl(f): 5:57pm On May 19, 2016
This mummy pastor's children are very funny.Ola thanks for the updates

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The First Time I Saw My Sister Naked. (18+) / My Sex Service To My Principal And Students – NYSC Member...episode 1 / About The Book "We Are All Biafrans" And Chido Onumah, The Author

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 237
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.