Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,792 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

God Saved My Son - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / God Saved My Son (5270 Views)

Guys My Vehicle Was Saved From An Incompetent Nairaland Auto Guru Mayor2013 / "My Son Is A Lawyer" Sticker On A Car In Ibadan (Pictured) / How God Saved Me From A Car Fire Incident. Lessons And Tips. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Saved My Son by Willdidi(m): 8:42pm On May 10, 2016
This might be a bit long so bear with me. A very scary incident happened on Sunday on my way to Church, I have this routine where I empty my trash every Sunday on my way to church because a dump truck is always parked close to it, so just my son and i went to church this Sunday madam wasn't feeling too well so we left her behind. We got to the spot I parked the car pull the hand brake on open the trunk of the car and left the car running since I needed just less than 15 second to do what I needed to do, went out open the trunk empty the trash and close the trunk, about to enter but the doors were locked, that was how my problem started, my son had moved from his sit into the drivers sit and engaged the gear to drive hence the doors locked automatically, I was confused and scared, my two year old son was locked in the car with car gear in drive, he was just smiling at me and turning the steering as if he was driving, the MP 3 was playing I couldn't speak to him and all the glasses were up, immediately I got some stones to wedge the tyres so the car couldn't move and was trying to signs him to open the door or window for where the guy just they smile give me while still turning the car steering, I was confused thinking of what to do, either the break the window open or find a means of forcing the door open. It took about 20 minutes and God's intervention before the guy just open the door by himself, I immediately rush the the open and got in, all this was happening while the car was running, windows up, music up and worse off the AC was off, heat exhaustion can lead to dead or he could step on the gas and put the car in motion. I just thank God non of this happened we got to church and attended mass.
Lessons learnt never leave a child alone without adult supervision, don't leave a car running with a child inside without an adult, don't keep key in ignition with a child around. I know I made a serious mistake which lead to all this but lessons learnt, by the way that boy is fast with the short period of time he left his sit to mine and engaged the gear.

4 Likes

Re: God Saved My Son by Lionhearted: 8:58pm On May 10, 2016
'by the way the boy is fast...'

You sound kinda proud of what the boy did.

Next time intervene your self by breaking a window immediately. Don't wait for God's intervention. What if the boy move the car and possibly crashes it?

Too a great a risk you took by doing nothing for almost 20mins.

3 Likes

Re: God Saved My Son by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 10, 2016
Glad the lad is safe.

One thing puzzles me though - why didn't you smash a rear window immediately?

2 Likes

Re: God Saved My Son by Willdidi(m): 9:41pm On May 10, 2016
Siena:
Glad the lad is safe.

One thing puzzles me though - why didn't you smash a rear window immediately?

Still thinking same here, I didn't act fast enough maybe I felt I could talk him into opening the doors by himself since I have seen him do it lots of time before, I took a great risk but wouldn't hesitate next time.
Re: God Saved My Son by refreshrate: 9:46pm On May 10, 2016
What i dont get is how does a 2 year old engage the gear to drive without stepping on the brake pedal?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: God Saved My Son by Willdidi(m): 9:47pm On May 10, 2016
Lionhearted:
'by the way the boy is fast...'

You sound kinda proud of what the boy did.

Next time intervene your self by breaking a window immediately. Don't wait for God's intervention. What if the boy move the car and possibly crashes it?

Too a great a risk you took by doing nothing for almost 20mins.

As a dad you are always proud if your child can learn things faster than his or her age group, in this case he has been watching me drive and hence wanted to try it himself (bad idea) he also learnt how to open the doors himself (good idea), as I said not happy about what happened or justifying my major errors just thanking God nothing bad happened.
Re: God Saved My Son by makavele: 10:10pm On May 10, 2016
refreshrate:
What i dont get is how does a 2 year old engage the gear to drive without stepping on the brake pedal?

Only one way . . gear was left in neutral . . cannot go into Reverse without stepping on the brake pedals . but can go into Drive . . .
Re: God Saved My Son by Willdidi(m): 10:35pm On May 10, 2016
makavele:

Only one way . . gear was left in neutral . . cannot go into Reverse without stepping on the brake pedals . but can go into Drive . . .

Car was left in park position, the car was driven to that position without switching off the engine hence you can change the gear position if you want to move again without stepping on brakes since the hand break was on. But if I am to start the engine and even release the hand brake I still need to step on the brakes before changing the gear.
Re: God Saved My Son by makavele: 10:42pm On May 10, 2016
Willdidi:

Car was left in park position, the car was driven to that position without switching off the engine hence you can change the gear position if you want to move again without stepping on brakes since the hand break was on. But if I am to start the engine and even release the hand brake I still need to step on the brakes before changing the gear.

i dont know what car u drive . . but in all d cars av driven .. u need to step on the brake pedal whether the hand brake is pulled up or not . .
different makes i guess . . . as a matter of fact, i just went to confirm now, and still couldnt shift gears without depressing d brake pedal
while simulating your pattern

1 Like

Re: God Saved My Son by Readonee35L(m): 12:52am On May 11, 2016
makavele:

i dont know what car u drive . . but in all d cars av driven .. u need to step on the brake pedal whether the hand brake is pulled up or not . .
different makes i guess . . . as a matter of fact, i just went to confirm now, and still couldnt shift gears without depressing d brake pedal
while simulating your pattern
His story doesn't add up.

2 Likes

Re: God Saved My Son by colossus2: 1:27am On May 11, 2016
Fake story undecided
Your child put the car on drive, tell me how
His hand was strong enough to push the knob on the gear shift or he was able to move it down to drive for the maze-like gear shifts.
Car was on drive and a stone was already waiting by your side which you could use as a wedge.

1 Like

Re: God Saved My Son by akanniade10(m): 5:28am On May 11, 2016
refreshrate:

Very Intelligent question, God bless you for that. Op's response doesn't add up! Maybe story was culled from a Nollywood movie grin

Willdidi:

dude which car are we talking here undecided

1 Like

Re: God Saved My Son by Enyimbamercedes: 5:55am On May 11, 2016
Willdidi:
This might be a bit long so bear with me. A very scary incident happened on Sunday on my way to Church, I have this routine where I empty my trash every Sunday on my way to church because a dump truck is always parked close to it, so just my son and i went to church this Sunday madam wasn't feeling too well so we left her behind. We got to the spot I parked the car pull the hand brake on open the trunk of the car and left the car running since I needed just less than 15 second to do what I needed to do, went out open the trunk empty the trash and close the trunk, about to enter but the doors were locked, that was how my problem started, my son had moved from his sit into the drivers sit and engaged the gear to drive hence the doors locked automatically, I was confused and scared, my two year old son was locked in the car with car gear in drive, he was just smiling at me and turning the steering as if he was driving, the MP 3 was playing I couldn't speak to him and all the glasses were up, immediately I got some stones to wedge the tyres so the car couldn't move and was trying to signs him to open the door or window for where the guy just they smile give me while still turning the car steering, I was confused thinking of what to do, either the break the window open or find a means of forcing the door open. It took about 20 minutes and God's intervention before the guy just open the door by himself, I immediately rush the the open and got in, all this was happening while the car was running, windows up, music up and worse off the AC was off, heat exhaustion can lead to dead or he could step on the gas and put the car in motion. I just thank God non of this happened we got to church and attended mass.
Lessons learnt never leave a child alone without adult supervision, don't leave a car running with a child inside without an adult, don't keep key in ignition with a child around. I know I made a serious mistake which lead to all this but lessons learnt, by the way that boy is fast with the short period of time he left his sit to mine and engaged the gear.

There was no danger of him stepping on the gas; his legs wouldn't get there. Heat exhaustion...impossible while you were there watching unless you felt breaking the glass was more precious than your son's life. Lastly, your two year old son should have been strapped in the back seat. In summary...you are a careless dad

4 Likes

Re: God Saved My Son by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:32am On May 11, 2016
hyundai tucson, kia sportage 07-10 you don't need to press brakes to release from park

5 Likes

Re: God Saved My Son by Kashif(m): 7:42am On May 11, 2016
Willdidi:

As a dad you are always proud if your child can learn things faster than his or her age group, in this case he has been watching me drive and hence wanted to try it himself (bad idea) he also learnt how to open the doors himself (good idea), as I said not happy about what happened or justifying my major errors just thanking God nothing bad happened.

For starters, a two year old has no business in the front seat. Even at 18 months, mine would have broken off the wiper switch at least, by the time you are back!

1 Like

Re: God Saved My Son by Nobody: 7:57am On May 11, 2016
Fake story

1 Like

Re: God Saved My Son by oluwanoni: 8:08am On May 11, 2016
Are u sure he his two years old, something similar happen to my mum but she packed facing downhill, my brother released the hand break and the vehicle moved by itself (7yrs) age of my brother...

Except the vehicle wasn't on park as of the time u stopped the vehicle. Because sometimes even while you've driven and stepped on the break, the car needs a little gas to move, and its seems ur car was on a rocky surface.

That's the only scenario I can imagine.
Re: God Saved My Son by Willdidi(m): 9:21am On May 11, 2016
colossus2:
Fake story undecided
Your child put the car on drive, tell me how
His hand was strong enough to push the knob on the gear shift or he was able to move it down to drive for the maze-like gear shifts.
Car was on drive and a stone was already waiting by your side which you could use as a wedge.

Is not a most to comment on the topic, I have simple explained what happened if you don't believe it your problem not mine, I want to believe you have driven all types of automatic car and know how all their gear stick work (not all gears are in the maze format some are actually on a straight line), the only reason for posting the topic was for others to learn and not make such mistake, when some of you make comments it amazes me as if my coming to post the topic one gets a medal or cash payment hence everything you read most be a lie, car talk I believe is a forum for serious minded people who share things related to their to cars. Have a lovely day.

1 Like

Re: God Saved My Son by Nobody: 9:34am On May 11, 2016
Not all automatic gear shifts are staggered, some are in a straight line.
Not all makes and models require the brake pedal to be depressed, before shifting from park to drive.
Not all automatic gear shifts have the lock-out solenoid working. Some have been disabled, meaning the brake pedal doesn't have to be depressed to enable shifting from park to drive.

It is entirely plausible that a 2-year-old could shift the gear lever from park to drive.

Saying this though, a toddler should be strapped safely in an appropriate child seat, which in turn should be secured in the car, either with the seat belt, or an Isofix adapter. Leaving a child free in a vehicle is gross negligence on the part of the parent, or adult left in charge of a child.

1 Like

Re: God Saved My Son by colossus2: 9:55am On May 11, 2016
Willdidi:

Is not a most to comment on the topic, I have simple explained what happened if you don't believe it your problem not mine, I want to believe you have driven all types of automatic car and know how all their gear stick work (not all gears are in the maze format some are actually on a straight line), the only reason for posting the topic was for others to learn and not make such mistake, when some of you make comments it amazes me as if my coming to post the topic one gets a medal or cash payment hence everything you read most be a lie, car talk I believe is a forum for serious minded people who share things related to their to cars. Have a lovely day.
Stop lying angry
You are talking to adults and not toddlers.
Your 2 year old child must be Dash from the movie Mr Incredible.
Even if you didn't fasten the seat belt on him, the moment you came out of the car, strolled to your boot to pick up the thrash (which you said would take you 15 seconds), he sped off from his seat and jumped into yours, sat down, pulled the gear lever and started turning the steering while you were catwalking from the dump site to your car, and when you got there you started moping.
Your 2 year old must be a mutant and attends Xavier's school for the gifted.
Your 2 year old's fist and palm must be very strong and wide to have been able to pull down the gear level undecided

4 Likes

Re: God Saved My Son by colossus2: 10:35am On May 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
hyundai tucson, kia sportage 07-10 you don't need to press brakes to release from park
Is this the gear lever? It has a knob. A 2 year old can't press and downshift.
If it is maze-like, a 2 year old can't move it to drive.

And chief, who leaves a car running with AC turned off while windows were wound up. OP must be living in North Pole.

2 Likes

Re: God Saved My Son by nurey(m): 10:58am On May 11, 2016
A 2006/2007 Honda Accord gear lever, will shift without depressing the brake, but you have to move the gear knob which is hidden under front of the protruding head.

1 Like

Re: God Saved My Son by Nobody: 11:04am On May 11, 2016
colossus2:

Is this the gear lever? It has a knob. A 2 year old can't press and downshift.
If it is maze-like, a 2 year old can't move it to drive.

And chief, who leaves a car running with AC turned off while windows were wound up. OP must be living in North Pole.

You'll be surprised. My 2-year-old son can shift my Audi A8 4.2 V8 TDI Quattro from neutral to drive. It's a straight gate with a button. Which means if I disabled the brake pedal-activated safety solenoid, he could equally shift from park to drive.

Kids aren't thick, instinctively most toddlers will know to grab the shift, pressing the release button into the lever and pulling it through the gate. At least mine does. My 5-year-old daughter can also move my manual gear lever through the H-shift pattern, with the exception of reverse, which has an interlock which means the lever has to be pushed down before reverse can be selected.

1 Like

Re: God Saved My Son by bigt2(m): 11:53am On May 11, 2016
Siena:

You'll be surprised. My 2-year-old son can shift my Audi A8 4.2 V8 TDI Quattro from neutral to drive. It's a straight gate with a button. Which means if I disabled the brake pedal-activated safety solenoid, he could equally shift from park to drive.

Kids aren't thick, instinctively most toddlers will know to grab the shift, pressing the release button into the lever and pulling it through the gate. At least mine does. My 5-year-old daughter can also move my manual gear lever through the H-shift pattern, with the exception of reverse, which has an interlock which means the lever has to be pushed down before reverse can be selected.
Nice.
Please do you deal with bikes too
Re: God Saved My Son by phibetakappa: 1:02pm On May 11, 2016
OP, Please give further and better particulars of your car.
Re: God Saved My Son by Nobody: 1:03pm On May 11, 2016
bigt2:

Nice.
Please do you deal with bikes too

Bikes, or parts for bikes? wink
Re: God Saved My Son by timilehing(m): 2:26pm On May 11, 2016
I can't just believe this story..

You're driving without AC & all windows wound up undecided
You waited 20mins for the boy to open the door himself, that's more than enough minutes for him to suffocate

Most importantly, Why are you not telling us the make and model of your car undecided
Re: God Saved My Son by Willdidi(m): 3:58pm On May 11, 2016
timilehing:
I can't just believe this story..

You're driving without AC & all windows wound up undecided
You waited 20mins for the boy to open the door himself, that's more than enough minutes for him to suffocate

Most importantly, Why are you not telling us the make and model of your car undecided

I drive to work every day and depending on the weather and time I leave for work I might decide not to use my AC because the weather outside is cold, as I stated earlier we were on our way to Sunday Mass which is in the early hours of the day and a mere 3 minutes or less from my house to church so no need for AC or for me to wind down the Windows, as for the make of the car I will advice you check my previous topics where I stated my car make. Thank you
Re: God Saved My Son by timilehing(m): 5:20pm On May 11, 2016
Willdidi:

I drive to work every day and depending on the weather and time I leave for work I might decide not to use my AC because the weather outside is cold, as I stated earlier we were on our way to Sunday Mass which is in the early hours of the day and a mere 3 minutes or less from my house to church so no need for AC or for me to wind down the Windows, as for the make of the car I will advice you check my previous topics where I stated my car make. Thank you
Toyota Camry 03?
Re: God Saved My Son by colossus2: 5:32pm On May 11, 2016
timilehing:
Toyota Camry 03?
Car was left in park position, the car was driven to that position without switching off the engine hence you can change the gear position if you want to move again without stepping on brakes since the hand break was on.
Spot the lie hahaha hahaha cheesy
cc: gazzuzz, siena, mayor2013, nurey, kingreign, please is this possible cos I think I don't know

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Camry Vs Sentra And Rav4 Vs Outlander / What Car Should I Get? (1.5M, 23 Year Old) / Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.