Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,464 members, 7,781,344 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:47 PM

Today:we Remember Bob Marley. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Today:we Remember Bob Marley. (696 Views)

Bob-Manuel Udokwu, His Wife, Cassandra & Children, Elyon Chinaza, Garvey Chibugo / Dakore Akande: Bob Marley Inspired Me To Get Dreadlocks / Wizkid Chillls With Damian Marley, Bob Marley's Son (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by rooftech: 5:54am On May 11, 2016
Biography

Bob Marley was born on February 6, 1945, in Nine Miles, Saint Ann, Jamaica, to Norval Marley and Cedella Booker. His father was a Jamaican of English descent. His mother was a black teenager. The couple planned to get married but Norval left Kingston before this could happen. Norval died in 1955, seeing his son only once.

Bob Marley started his career with the Wailers, a group he formed with Peter Tosh and Bunny Livingston in 1963. Marley married Rita Marley in February 1966, and it was she who introduced him to Rastafarianism. By 1969 Bob, Tosh and Livingston had fully embraced Rastafarianism, which greatly influence Marley's music in particular and on reggae music in general. The Wailers collaborated with Lee Scratch Perry, resulting in some of the Wailers' finest tracks like "Soul Rebel", "Duppy Conquerer", "400 Years" and "Small Axe." This collaboration ended bitterly when the Wailers found that Perry, thinking the records were his, sold them in England without their consent. However, this brought the Wailers' music to the attention of Chris Blackwell, the owner of Island Records.

Blackwell immediately signed the Wailers and produced their first album, "Catch a Fire". This was followed by "Burnin'", featuring tracks as "Get Up Stand Up" and "I Shot the Sheriff." Eric Clapton's cover of that song reached #1 in the US. In 1974 Tosh and Livingston left the Wailers to start solo careers. Marley later formed the band "Bob Marley and the Wailers", with his wife Rita as one of three backup singers called the I-Trees. This period saw the release of some groundbreaking albums, such as "Natty Dread", "Rastaman Vibration".

In 1976, during a period of spiraling political violence in Jamaica, an attempt was made on Marley's life. Marley left for England, where he lived in self-exile for two years. In England "Exodus" was produced, and it remained on the British charts for 56 straight weeks. This was followed by another successful album, "Kaya." These successes introduced reggae music to the western world for the first time, and established the beginning of Marley's international status.

In 1977 Marley consulted with a doctor when a wound in his big toe would not heal. More tests revealed malignant melanoma. He refused to have his toe amputated as his doctors recommended, claiming it contradicted his Rastafarian beliefs. Others, however, claim that the main reason behind his refusal was the possible negative impact on his dancing skills. The cancer was kept secret from the general public while Bob continued working.

Returning to Jamaica in 1978, he continued work and released "Survival" in 1979 which was followed by a successful European tour. In 1980 he was the only foreign artist to participated in the independence ceremony of Zimbabwe. It was a time of great success for Marley, and he started an American tour to reach blacks in the US. He played two shows at Madison Square Garden, but collapsed while jogging in NYC's Central Park on September 21, 1980. The cancer diagnosed earlier had spread to his brain, lungs and stomach. Bob Marley died in a Miami hospital on May 11, 1981. He was 36 years old.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by Benikuuse(m): 5:59am On May 11, 2016
Hmmm this day has come again. If you come to my place today, our jobless youths will hold biggest parties in town, drink anyhow, cause trouble and upon all fight and disgrace themselves. But if you ask them their problem they will say it is buhari.
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by chriskosherbal(m): 6:00am On May 11, 2016
The famous reggae artist.
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by realestworld(m): 6:04am On May 11, 2016
May you continue to rest in peace. Today is the only day i permit myself take bunch of weed each year. Shoutout to my fellow kporis.
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by jazinogold(m): 6:06am On May 11, 2016
legendary reggae musician!

na so my friend say Bob Marley is from Mali grin naim me con tell am say na him sing after the raggae play the blues cheesy
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by Kondomatic(m): 6:07am On May 11, 2016
realestworld:
May you continue to rest in peace.
Today is the only day i permit myself take bunch of weed each year.
Shoutout to my fellow kporis.
REST IN PEACE KEE. Mr. Bob believed in reincarnation
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:09am On May 11, 2016
Chai long live Bob Marley cool cool
Where in Wuse can I get Indian hemp? grin
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by Nobody: 6:11am On May 11, 2016
Wow Bob Marley the legendary musician..
not ladies hair,as some might think..
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by marshalcarter: 6:18am On May 11, 2016
Rrrraasstaman

Ayandaya halfricans wanna sie rest in peace cheesy

Listening to reggae music is the real deal..burning spears..peter tosh..orits wiliki..lucky dube...don carlos and gold...and eeeerrrm....the ppl dat sang"pass the dutch to the left hand side"(reggaemanians go knw the song sha grin grin)

Not listening to sum useless wizkid abi wizadult..tekno abi boom J nonsenseangry

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Maaaaaaaaaan

Wataguan....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Weed speaks grin grin) wey ma lead guitar sef make i wish bob peace gringrin
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by laprince(m): 6:21am On May 11, 2016
I man, pass me the bass guitar.
He truly was a great mind.
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by Nobody: 6:32am On May 11, 2016
Bob Marley the ''Duppy Conqueror''

The man who ''trod on Babylon walls until it fell''

...and ''Cold Ground was my bed last night; rock stone was my pillow too''

''...from the very day we left the shores of our fathers land we have being trampled on'', rebel!!!

''the truth is an offence but not a sin''

''when I hear the crack of the whip my blood runs cold''

''This morning I woke up in a curfew; ...they were all dressed in uniforms of brutality''

I truly love Bob Marley and his work. Wow what a man.
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by Nobody: 6:47am On May 11, 2016
Legendary Musician grin

Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by Akposkool(m): 7:11am On May 11, 2016
It's painful that the reggae music as a genre is fading. Reggae music always carry real messages unlike these pop nonsense that only beats are selling.
Live on Bob Nesta Marley
Re: Today:we Remember Bob Marley. by woodboi(m): 9:24am On May 11, 2016
Bob don't stop passing the message wherever you are Hero"

(1) (Reply)

Actress Rechael Okonkwo Releases STUNNING Pre-birthday Photos / Funke Akindele Biography, Lifestyle And News / Jennifer Lopez Stuns In AMA Dress (1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.