Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) (6458 Views)

Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity / *wait Ooo* Have You Seen An Igbo Beggar Before? If Yes, Where? / 3 Female Osun Followers Solicit For Alms, Dressed In White (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by HochZeit: 9:43am On May 11, 2016
I was on a trip from Calabar to Ibadan on the road. Travelling from North – West filling station through Odopkani –Itu river – Isiala Oboro to Owerri is a daunting and energy sapping experience. The entire stretch reeks of abdication of responsibility. A few palatial buildings along the road summed up the story of our recent struggles – an overpowering display of wealth by a few in the midst of grinding poverty.

At Owerri, in the heart of Igboland, opposite the government house, I saw a curious sight. As we were trapped in traffic, I saw a plum looking woman with a set of triplets – all boys, begging for alms by the road side!

I tossed a five hundred naira note to the kid.As the woman ran to pick it up; I could see she is a young lady, devoid of the tell-tale signs of the vicissitudes of life. She looked a sharp contrast to the three scraggy kids roasting in the sun.

It is the type of scene one would expect to see in Lagos Island, but this is Igboland. The Igbos are proud, hardworking people. They would rather die than beg for alms.

So, who is this lady and what is she doing with the kids?

Source: http://www.hoch-zeitgericht.com/2016/05/11/ever-seen-an-igbo-begging-for-alms/

1 Like

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by hakeem4(m): 9:54am On May 11, 2016
Igbo people dey beg with rhythm.

You'd see the blind man holding mic
One holding tambourine
One holding drum

They'd now be singing " oh lord come down and manifest your power "

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Pangea: 9:59am On May 11, 2016
hakeem4:

One holding tambourine
One hiding drum

Lmao grin
You sabi dem wella for maryland junction, abi?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Nobody: 9:59am On May 11, 2016
Go to Ojuelegba and come back to ask again! They are good with 'worshiping songs'

9 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Segadem(m): 10:07am On May 11, 2016
HateU2:
Go to Ojuelegba and come back to ask again! They are good with 'worshiping songs'
[size=14pt]Lagos is forbidden area for op cheesy grin grin[/size]
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by afroniger: 10:07am On May 11, 2016
HateU2:

Lol. Those ones just dey do dia own with fine bara 'packaging' and religious 'swag'. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by ba7man(m): 10:07am On May 11, 2016
Hard to find them begging though........ they'll rather switch to fraud, drug dealing, importation of fake drugs and sub standard goods than beg.

3 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by forgiveness: 10:09am On May 11, 2016
Loading........ lipsrsealed
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by mightyhazel: 10:09am On May 11, 2016
Igbos beg for alms,...

but in a ratio of about 1 to 800 in comparison 2 s.westerners,...and abt1 to 800,000 compared 2 core northerners!

7 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Nobody: 10:17am On May 11, 2016
afroniger:

Lol. Those ones just dey do dia own with fine bara 'packaging' and religious 'swag'. cheesy
I yam telling you cheesy. Nice packaging nd swags cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Nobody: 10:18am On May 11, 2016
Segadem:
[size=14pt]Lagos is forbidden area for op cheesy grin grin[/size]
I see cool cheesy
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Nobody: 10:19am On May 11, 2016
ba7man:
Hard to find them begging though........ they'll rather switch to fraud, drug dealing, importation of fake drugs and sub standard goods than beg.
yea, yea, I agree with this too.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by omenka(m): 10:30am On May 11, 2016
hakeem4:
You'd see the blind man holding mic One holding tambourine One hiding drum
cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by malton: 10:32am On May 11, 2016
I have seen some here in Awka.

There's this particular papa who always stands beside the Zenith Bank at Eke-Awka. He always goes like, "corper, find me something there na, even if na hundred naira!" ...

They are mostly beggars with pride!

3 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by OmichaelO: 10:41am On May 11, 2016
It's not so common, you get to see people up the country and left side more (lagoon state)
but people from the right side of the country are proud, (which is a good thing to me) they'd rather do something else than beg..

Or make it seem they are doing a favor and it's the other way round!! grin grin

I salute their spirit

3 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by sunnyb0b0(m): 10:43am On May 11, 2016
hakeem4:

One holding tambourine
One hiding drum

They are not beggers, they are entertainers. It's up to you to appreciate them by way of financial gratification for entertaining you. Just like the buskers you have in London tube stations.

10 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Mcowubaba: 10:43am On May 11, 2016
Mynd44, lalasticlala
Wouldn't u close this topic.......

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES

8. Don't post false information on Nairaland.
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by KINGwax007(m): 10:47am On May 11, 2016
Go ojota
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by OmichaelO: 10:48am On May 11, 2016
mightyhazel:
Igbos beg for alms,...

but in a ratio of about 1 to 800 in comparison 2 s.westerners,...and abt1 to 800,000 compared 2 core northerners!
excuse Ma Sir, You Got This Statistics Where? Softly O
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by stalvinne: 10:50am On May 11, 2016
sad
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by MrAdetunjiBayo: 10:50am On May 11, 2016
We yorubas love begging like say tommorow no dey, Hausa-fulani carry first for begging, we yoruba carry second. We follow hausa-fulani everywhere dey go.

7 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by modath(f): 10:52am On May 11, 2016
OP,
Now that you"ve gotten a bruised nose, maybe you will develop sense and stop this kind of childish and uninspiring myopic schlong measuring, you are only mocking the poor woman by putting her and her innocent kids up here, do you think she'd have made this choice all things being equal?

Do you think this is a wise move? cant you lots think beyond divisive ethnic crap

Some harass people in traffic with grotesque pictures of deformed people or line up imbec1les, and handicapped around markets for change.... that isnt even begging, that is exploitation of incapacitated people which is even a CRIME!!!!

Even in developed countries, there exists down and out people who resort to begging,homeless or addicts? direct begging or using proxies, doesn't matter, begging is begging... no need to tribalize this...

Mynd44 Lalasticlala

This is another potential E war thread, could you kindly shut this down now? thx..

2 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by jaybee3(m): 10:55am On May 11, 2016
The OP definitely didn’t think this through hard enough before opening the thread.

Is it safe to conclude that they had rather engage in criminality rather than beg?

That’s seriously uncool

I’d rather beg than do the crimes that are mostly associated with my Igbo brothers

Why would anyone even think begging is bad. We all need a little help here and there and it’s unfortunate Nigeria State does not have any welfare support whatsoever to the most vulnerable

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by OBAFEMIawolowo: 10:56am On May 11, 2016
Igbos beggars exist quire alright but I think I see more of Yoruba and mostly Hausa beggars. Every tribe have this set of people

2 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by tafabaloo(m): 11:09am On May 11, 2016
Progenitor of executive Bara.
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Rolings: 11:09am On May 11, 2016
Begging is the exclusive preserve of the Yoruba and hausas , few ibos that beg do it with style and its uncommon.There are somethings ibos don't just fit in .
If you see an ibo man "mai shai " or ibo man "mai suya" my brother abeg run for your life no matter how hungry you may be

4 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by mightyhazel: 11:12am On May 11, 2016
OmichaelO:
excuse Ma Sir, You Got This Statistics Where? Softly O
pasnal research sire!
It cud even be way higher. For instance,av neva seen an igbo beggar outside of the southeast,but have seen northern beggars evn in ma village in the southeast where they far outnumber the v few indigenous beggars.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by philGeo(m): 11:15am On May 11, 2016
modath:

OP,
Now that you"ve gotten a bruised nose, maybe you will develop sense and stop this kind of childish and uninspiring myopic schlong measuring, you are only mocking the poor woman by putting her and her innocent kids up here, do you think she'd have made this choice all things being equal?

Do you think this is a wise move? cant you lots think beyond divisive ethnic crap

Some harass people in traffic with grotesque pictures of deformed people or line up imbec1les, and handicapped around markets for change.... that isnt even begging, that is exploitation of incapacitated people which is even a CRIME!!!!

Even in developed countries, there exists down and out people who resort to begging,homeless or addicts? direct begging or using proxies, doesn't matter, begging is begging... no need to tribalize this...

Mynd44 Lalasticlala

This is another potential E war thread, could you kindly shut this down now? thx..
Thank you for your understanding about life, some don't understand it.

1 Like

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by HochZeit: 11:29am On May 11, 2016
Thank you all for your comments. I would appreciate it if we can communicate our views on issues without giving it an ethnic hue.

I respect every tribe in this our great country. Each one has its uniqueness. The Yorubas are liberal and accomodating. The Igbos are hardworking and invective. I would rather focus on their strength.

Regarding the issue in discuss, the points to consider are:

1)Would an igbo woman with triplets beg for alms in Igboland before her kits abd kin, considering this is alien to Igbo culture? Forget the Lagos choir singers!

2) Is this woman the true mother of the triplets?

Please objective comments without ethnic jabs are welcome.

cc: modath, jaybee3

1 Like

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by theshaderoom: 11:39am On May 11, 2016
hakeem4:

One holding tambourine
One hiding drum

exactly

1 Like

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by theshaderoom: 11:44am On May 11, 2016
Mcowubaba:
Mynd44, lalasticlala
Wouldn't u close this topic.......

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES

8. Don't post false information on Nairaland.

iffa hear! most political threads that make it to frontpage are they not tribal incitations...sometimes i wonder if nairaland thrives on this online enemity between igbos and yorubas, because its only on nairaland that this enemity exists...in real life both tribes make good friends and even spouse
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by sweetcocoa(f): 11:47am On May 11, 2016
There are igbo beggars ofcourse.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Would You Say Is The Best Thing About Living In Nigeria / How To Make Your Hair Grow Using Coconut Oil / Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.