Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help (7447 Views)

Uk Marriage Visa Requirement / How Can I Get My Marriage Visa To Denmark / Info Needed On Nigeria's E-passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by olu0(f): 2:04pm On Aug 14, 2009
hi.
Im a british citizen, getting married to a nigerian in january, we started dating May 2008. im just a bit confused about this process. I started working full time with the NHS in May this year, on a fixed contract finishing May 2009, but they might extend it according to my manager. and im going back to the university to complete my final project and graduate. The problem now is

1. I earn £1100 permonth after tax, and I pay £510 for my 3bed rented house and all my bills are paid quaterly and not monthly. but I get £400 per month from my parent for my rent.
2. I live in a 3bed rented house and my friend lives their with me and she pays me £300 permonth for her rent. but the tenancy agreement is in my name
3. I have about £3000 in my ISA savings account so far, and hoping to increase it by end of the year

my question is what document do i need to provide, and how many months bank statement do i need to produce, what form does my partner need to fill as I've been seeing different sort of forms and some people said there is a different form for nigerians to fill.

another thing is I met my partner when he came on holiday here in 2004 for the first time, but we were friends, but didnt really keep in touch, so when he came back in 2007 I saw him again and we both exchange numbers before he left for Nigeria and since then we started talking but then didnnt start going out not until may 2008 last year, and i went to visit him in nigeria April 2009 this year. but im scared because we only talk on the phone, we don't communicate via email or anything else, but we do have pictures of us when he was here on visit and when i went to nigeria and also proof that i called him, evevn though he call me most of the time. is tis evidence enough?

PLS HELP.
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 15, 2009
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by olu0(f): 11:43pm On Aug 15, 2009
oh thanks alot for your response, it was really helpful. yer my marriage is genuine. just that I'm new to this thing and I dont really have anyone around me who knows how the process works. (lol).

unfortunately we do no communicate by post, and we hardly communicate vai email. guess we better start doing that now.

but another thing im not sure about is how many months pay slip and bank statemet do i need to produce is it 3months worth or 6months?

also approx how much do i need to have left in my account after bills cos i heard they require the sponspor to have at least £600 left after rent and bills in a month for them to qualify, is that so.

i would be really greatful someone could help. thanks.
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by erico2k2(m): 9:21pm On Aug 16, 2009
every doc you need has to be six months Old,you dont realy need large sum of monies in ur account, just have six months worth of bill statements
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by Nweddings: 7:12am On Aug 18, 2009
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by tos(m): 10:21am On Aug 18, 2009
olu0:

oh thanks alot for your response, it was really helpful. yer my marriage is genuine. just that I'm new to this thing and I dont really have anyone around me who knows how the process works. (lol).

unfortunately we do no communicate by post, and we hardly communicate vai email. guess we better start doing that now.

but another thing im not sure about is how many months pay slip and bank statemet do i need to produce is it 3months worth or 6months?

also approx how much do i need to have left in my account after bills cos i heard they require the sponspor to have at least £600 left after rent and bills in a month for them to qualify, is that so.

Hi OP - You do not need a significant savings to file for your hubby. The only thing you need to prove is that your marriage is genuine. However, ensure that you have minimum of £110 left over after all your bills and living expenses every month. You may send a statement of your monthly income and expenses to the BHC to prove that your hubby would not have any need to make recourse to public funds when in the UK.

My wife (who was my sponsor) only had 49p in her accounts and had no job when I did my interview. But fortunately I had a good job with a multinational coy and good savings. The BHC was only concerned about my ability to secure a job when I get to the UK and proof that I was not going to rely on public funds to survive. I presented all my academic certificates and my bank statements showing significant amount of savings. Fortunately you as the sponsor have significant savings and so your hubby does not have to show that he has money to bring to the UK as it was in my case.

You also need to show that you guys will co-habitate when he gets to the UK by presenting documents such as tenancy agreements in your name and a letter from your landlord stating that your hubby is allowed to stay in the house since you rented the house in your name only. Also send your letter of employment and 3 months pay-slips to your hubby to take along to the BHC. He should make attempt to start applying for jobs in the UK immediately and proof of this should be printed and presented as well.

Ensure that you send a notorised copy of the bio-date page of your passport to your hubby to take with him to the BHC and all the pages in your passport showing the entry stamps during all your visits to Nigeria. This will show that you guys knew each other very well before marrying and that the marriage is not one of convinience. I will suggest you do a civil marriage at the Ikoyi Registry in Lagos as it is the most recognised Registry by the BHC. Also ensure that you take a lot of pictures during the marriage and you can identify all the invitees to the marriage by names. Note that you dont have to invite a lot of people to the Registry. A couple of friends and family members should be enough. I remember that we only invited 6 people (two signed as witnesses) to the Registry in our case.

All the documents you are taking to the BHC should be arranged in a folder and postit papers used to identify them as this will make it convinient for your hubby to present them to the ECO when they are being asked for. The form that you will use for the application is VAF4 for settlement.

Though it's a good thing to attend the interview with your hubby but it's not a requirement (I attended my interview alone). The sample of questions that may be asked at the interview are as follows:

- When did you get married?

- What is your partner's date of birth?

- When/where/how did you meet your partner?

- What does your partner do (what kind of job)?

- Where does your partner work?

- When was the last time your partner visited Nigeria?

- When was the last time you were in the UK?

- Where does your partner live in the UK?

- Mention two landmarks close to where your partner lives?

- Can you describe how to get to Central London from your partner's house?

- How many sibblings does your partner have?

- What are the names of your partner's parents? What do they do?

- Can you identify this person from your wedding pictures (note the ECO will point to anyone)?

- What do you do? What company do you work for?

- How much is your monthly income?

- Why do you want to move to the UK and not the other way round?

The list is inexhaustive. Please note that some of the questions that the ECO will ask are already in the application form that your hubby would have submitted. He should make sure that he does not forget anything. Also if there are things that you guys dont know about each other, this is a good time to start telling yourselves.

If you still have any question, i will be happy to help.

Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by tos(m): 10:22am On Aug 18, 2009
Nweddings:

Eriko2k2 is right. They are not looking for huge bank balances just regular deposits and withdrawals.

When my friend did it she only had £500 in her account and her husband was given the visa staight away. Another friend on the other hand had to appeal and get her MP involved even though her father had a big house in the UK.

They look at regular things and if something looks too good then alarm bells start ringing.

Start comminucating via Email or letters and keep phone bills if you can.

olu0:

Hi OP - You do not need a significant savings to file for your hubby. The only thing you need to prove is that your marriage is genuine. However, ensure that you have minimum of £110 left over after all your bills and living expenses every month. You may send a statement of your monthly income and expenses to the BHC to prove that your hubby would not have any need to make recourse to public funds when in the UK.

My wife (who was my sponsor) only had 49p in her accounts and had no job when I did my interview. But fortunately I had a good job with a multinational coy and good savings. The BHC was only concerned about my ability to secure a job when I get to the UK and proof that I was not going to rely on public funds to survive. I presented all my academic certificates and my bank statements showing significant amount of savings. Fortunately you as the sponsor have significant savings and so your hubby does not have to show that he has money to bring to the UK as it was in my case.

You also need to show that you guys will co-habitate when he gets to the UK by presenting documents such as tenancy agreements in your name and a letter from your landlord stating that your hubby is allowed to stay in the house since you rented the house in your name only. Also send your letter of employment and 3 months pay-slips to your hubby to take along to the BHC. He should make attempt to start applying for jobs in the UK immediately and proof of this should be printed and presented as well.

Ensure that you send a notorised copy of the bio-date page of your passport to your hubby to take with him to the BHC and all the pages in your passport showing the entry stamps during all your visits to Nigeria. This will show that you guys knew each other very well before marrying and that the marriage is not one of convinience. I will suggest you do a civil marriage at the Ikoyi Registry in Lagos as it is the most recognised Registry by the BHC. Also ensure that you take a lot of pictures during the marriage and you can identify all the invitees to the marriage by names. Note that you dont have to invite a lot of people to the Registry. A couple of friends and family members should be enough. I remember that we only invited 6 people (two signed as witnesses) to the Registry in our case.

All the documents you are taking to the BHC should be arranged in a folder and postit papers used to identify them as this will make it convinient for your hubby to present them to the ECO when they are being asked for. The form that you will use for the application is VAF4 for settlement.

Though it's a good thing to attend the interview with your hubby but it's not a requirement (I attended my interview alone). The sample of questions that may be asked at the interview are as follows:

- Can you identify this person from your wedding pictures (note the ECO will point to anyone)?

The list is inexhaustive. Please note that some of the questions that the ECO will ask are already in the application form that your hubby would have submitted. He should make sure that he does not forget anything. Also if there are things that you guys dont know about each other, this is a good time to start telling yourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by VOR(m): 11:38am On Aug 18, 2009
One question, where are you intending to get married, in the UK or Nigeria?
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 18, 2009
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by Busybody2(f): 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2009
chaircover:

I stand to be corrected but I dont think you can marry in the Uk on a visiting visa anymore.

If hubby to be has a visiting visa, then they will have to get married in Naija

Not sure you are allowed to change or if you are, if you have some months left on your visa, but you can apply for a fiance/fiancee visa for the purpose of coming to get marrried here smiley

VOR:

One question, where are you intending to get married, in the UK or Nigeria?

Lord Voice Of Reason, abeg I need to pick your brain a little, what happens if the husband does not want to live in the UK because he is a business man based in Nigeria, I know the option of applying for a "family visit visa" is open to such person, but what are the implications/hurdle if any?

@ TOS

My one and only landlord cheesy I am enjoying that 3 bedroom property that you rented to me for £300/month, that I have all to myself I no go lie, na soso party I dey throw every week, any chance of you extending my tenancy for another 15 years tongue

@ TOS and VOR and Olu0

My quote button is messing up, but I wanna draw your attention to a post in the Visa appeal thread by honeydrop, whom was recently refused and part of the reason given was that because of the credit crunch, they did not think the husband will be able to get a job shocked Isn't that a tad preposterous and likkle bit offhand undecided They gave her so many reasons for refusal, I found it hard to pick up my jaw from the floor shocked shocked shocked
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by honeydrop(f): 11:23pm On Aug 18, 2009
here i come, good people of nairaland,i need your brilliant expertise.

i applied for a spouse visa in June and i have been refused as follows,

you hav submitted yr marriage cert dated xxxxx.u hav submitted a photocopy of yr husband's bio-data page of their passport ans photocopies of the passport,your marriage certificate indicates your spouse was in Nigeria for d wedding,however,i note that yr husband arrived 5 days b4 the weddn and left 3 days after.u hav not provided evidence of regular contact since thier departure from 9ja such as itemised telephone bills listing yr telephone number,emails,letters,cards etc.this lack of evidential contact casts doubt on whether your relationship is subsisting and as such i am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of paragraph 281(i)(ii)(iii) of HC395
i note that u hav submitted a numba of wedding photographs,however u have not provided photos of different stages of yr relatnship.i note dt u claim dat yr relatnship started in xxxxx i believe that it is reasonable to expect from partners in a serious relationshp and who are geographically seperated to hav photos and evidence of contact at different stages of their relationship.there are a number of docs u cld hav submitted such as bt nt limited to phone bills listing yr phone numbers,emails,letters,etc this lack of evidential contact casts doubt on whether your relationship is subsisting and as such i am not satisfied that u meet d requirements of paragraph 281(i)(ii)(iii)
since the claimed commencement of yr relatnship and following yr marriage,you and your sponsor have spent a total of only 3 days together.u havebn unable to produce satisfactory evidence to confirm yr claims that u have kept in regular contct with yr sponsor.u claim u speak regularly yet u have a limited knowledge of yr sponsor's circumstances in UK for example,their house,job,income,hobbies,his favourite tv shows, interests,books,movies.one must expect that a wife might havea better knowledge of their husbands circumstances if they were to speak every evening on phone as you claim.this further casts doubt on yr claims.as such i am not satisfied dt u have genuinely formed a relationship,that u have bn in regular contact and that yr marriage is subsisting.you have therefore failed to demonstrate satisfactorily that both you and yr sponsor intend to live permanently with each other as his or her spouse.u have also failed to demonstrate that the marriage is subsisting as required by paragraph 281(iii) or 290iii or 295vii of d UK immigration rules HC395(as ammended)
you hav submitted a tenancy agreement for xxxxxxxxxxxx as evidence of your proposed accommodatn in the UK.this agreement ran for a period of 6 months and has nw expired.you have provided no further evidence that this accommodatn is available to u.i am not satisfied that it gives a true and accurate reflection of d accomodatn u hav arranged for u in uk.i am also aware that u propose to live with your sponsor,i note that u state on yr applicatn form that he has a flatmate therefore i am not satisfied that adequate accomodatn is available which u or yr sponsor own/occupy exclusively.therefore on the balance of probability,im not satisfied that d accommodatn in uk is adequate and xclusively occupied by yrself/sponsor nor am i satisfied that this flatmate arragement is just an interim measure as in accordance with paragraph 281
you hav submitted yr sponsors personal bank statement account number xxxxxxxx as evidence of finance.however while d account receive regular credits and d balance fluctuates and was as low as xxxx,ur sponsors average monthly income is xxxx as detailed on his salary slips.i note that u hav submitted some money transfers however d amounts are not reflected in the withdrawals in the bank account.i also note that i can see no regular payments for d amount of rent reflected in his bank statements.due to the limited financial documents that you have submitted,i am not satisfied that you will be able to maintain yrselves adequately without additional recourse to public funds.
i note that u are not employed and that you intend seeking employment in the UK.however given the current world-wide economic down turn i am not satisfied that you will find gainful employment as easily as you believe.in d current climate,u have not completed any research or sought advice for any employment in any particular field nor have you showed any evidence of transferrable skills to enable u obtain employment in uk.u have provided no evidence of of any educational qualifications,therefore i believe u will be seeking employment in an oversaturated unskilled job market which is already according to uk statistics office in decline www.statistics.gov.uk.
therefore i am not satisfied that u will be able to maintain yrselves adequately without recourse to public funds.
in reaching my decision,i have also taken account of the human rights act,i accept that this decision may result in limited interference with the right to family life as described in article 8,however,i remind myself that this is a qualified right and i am satisfied that the decision is justified and proportionate in d interests of maintaining an effective immigration control.furthermore,no reason has been advanced as to why u and yr sponsor cannot enjoy family life in Nigeria.
i therefore refuse your application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this was just not my lucky day i guess cuz i answered all d questions he asked me but he said i didnt, was he totally deafi still wonder.,my sponsor and i have spent about 11 weeks together but he stated 3 days,my husband left 4 weeks after our wedding but he stated 3 days after.i submitted my application 2 months before d tenancy agreement was to expire.my husband had a low balance indeed cuz he mostly financed our wedding and all but i also submitted my bank statement with a savings of abot 3,500 pounds,i submitted a 'to whom it may concern' letter frm my school stating that i have graduated but awaitng results,i alos submitted my waec/neco.i submitted pictures we took before our wedding but the eco was too blind to see them,i cldnt submit phone records cuz my husband was still in towm wen i submitted my application and i was not asked to come wiv anythn on interview date, see me see trouble o.
pls help me wiv this cuz i dont even have d slightest idea of where to start from.thanks.
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by erico2k2(m): 12:19am On Aug 19, 2009
ECos are usless, the dont check anything on there, can U immagine in my application I listed the name of my child,they even got the guts to say I did not include the BC, so in my own words I though they would be bothered to go and check, my advice, prepare for your apeal
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by tos(m): 8:56am On Aug 20, 2009
Seun - I posted a reply to honeydrop's post yesterday but surprisingly, cant say what happened to my post. Kindly help to retrieve the post wherever it is and put it in the appropriate place.

Thanks
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by olu0(f): 1:23am On Aug 21, 2009
tos:

thanks alot. I think the only thing is that, we never communicate via email, cos i really have a thing for email, i never check them, but i guess we can start chatting via email now if that will help. and also he is the one that calls me most of the time i would say he makes at least 60% of the call, and most of the time when I ring him, i use a call card,  the only time I've used my contract phone is only for a 2-5 mins conversation as it is expensive on contract to ring international, so pls could you advice me what sort of evidence will i put down, is it the numerous call cards or my contract phone bill? and he Nigeria he uses airtime, so what evidence will he has to put down for this.

2. plus since we've started going out in 2008, ive only been to nigeria to see him once, cos of university and work commitmment, but we've been friends before we decide to start going out. (lol). Also this VAF4 form, can i print it out on the internet?
sorry if I've been abit thick, its just that I dont know how this works an  I'n naive about it. I will be very grateful if someone can help answer my question.

thanaaj
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by bandore(m): 4:13am On Aug 21, 2009
@poster the guys on here have answered most if not all your questions, You can also look up the ukvisas.gov.uk and the ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk, just rest assured you need divine intervention as most ecos are as stupid and non challant as a lame pig, they type rubbish to refuse one,,hence need to pray to God.
@honeydrop I am sure you have the right to appeal, as you have noted he typed rubbish, it is now the duty of a good lawyer to isolate his/her stupidity and take up the case and ur fiance wld submit other docs to back this up.
Does prince charles have the right to be with his woman??
I am married to a white woman and I know more white stupidity than black!
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by segzeybaba(m): 9:28pm On Aug 27, 2009
@tos,

what sort of questions where u asked on ur interview day? any tips
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by 80neko: 10:11pm On Nov 26, 2010
I found this topic searching through the Internet because I have same problem.
I'm not from Nigeria, I'm from Serbia, but I guess it's not important in this case.

I've been refused due the famouse Paragraph 281 ("you will not be able to maintain yourself adequately blah blah blah)

I have 26 days more left to submit my appeal.
I'm just curious what is the rate of successful appeals and how to assure them that we would be able to live without public funds?

How did you finished whole this process?

Thank you in advance.
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by demi2008(f): 3:46pm On Dec 09, 2010
Na wah oooo
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by demi2008(f): 12:52pm On Dec 10, 2010
Thanks for this thread. My sister also wants to apply for a spousal visa for her husband from nigeria but she gets child tax credit and working tax credit to pay for her child's nursery. She works full time and earns £1350 per month. I've advised her to cancel her claim but her answer is how does she pay for nursey (£820 every four weeks). I now advised her to cancel the claim when she is going to Naija for her wedding (lets say a week b4 travelling) as her child wont be in d nursery during their hol and she wont have to pay for childcare and pray her husbands visa is issued b4 she returns or better still the child stays with my mum pending the issuance of her husbands visa. Every other thing is ok i.e house, savings, emails, telephone records etc.
Nairalanders advise please.
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by erico2k2(m): 8:48am On Dec 12, 2010
80neko:

I found this topic searching through the Internet because I have same problem.
I'm not from Nigeria, I'm from Serbia, but I guess it's not important in this case.

I've been refused due the famouse Paragraph 281 ("you will not be able to maintain yourself adequately blah blah blah)

I have 26 days more left to submit my appeal.
I'm just curious what is the rate of successful appeals and how to assure them that we would be able to live without public funds?

How did you finished whole this process?

Thank you in advance.

this is where the weight of what your sponsor does for living comes in,she has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that she can support you and any dependants till you are able to find work
Sometimes including certificates and documentations of skills acquired also helps as in my case, and more so, do you have kid/s?
Re: Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help by Aquaman84: 7:20pm On Aug 30, 2018
Brother do you have any advice on fiance visa??

tos:

(1) (Reply)

Uk Visa Application And Renewal (the New System) / Is Kosovo(eu) A Visa Free To Nigeria? / Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.