Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,325 members, 7,780,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:53 PM

Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit (20313 Views)

How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? / What Is The Worst Or Best Thing/s Your Mechanic Has Ever Done To You Or Your Car / 5 Ways To Know Your Car More Than Your Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by LeJeun3: 7:42am On May 19, 2016
ubecharles:
. What is engine flushing? I think they just change the oil and call it flushing

Seriously, you quoted the whole article ??

There is engine flushing and its different from just changing oils.....

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by spicytayomic(m): 7:45am On May 19, 2016
Nice write up
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by planet8(m): 8:06am On May 19, 2016
Nice one OP and very educative,
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by Nobody: 8:14am On May 19, 2016
DjAndroid:
No be if some mechanics fit write their name.

Imagine where a mech will call:

Lajiator for radiator

Asul for axle

Adolic for hydraulic

Etc etc etc .

Dont blame them in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king.

If graduates like you opted to acquire technical skills , goto technical colleges we would have better mechnics in Nigeria

Their greatest challenge is illiteracy the inability to read and write. How do you update your knowledge in todays world if you are illiterate.

Sadly our graduates prefer desk jobs want to wear suits and live 247 in air condition office and cars ( as if the coldrooms have finished)

even graduates of mechanical engineering in Nigeria dont know how to change a flat tyre, so we have to manage the kazeem.

inspite of his shortcomings , he has shown considerable improvement through trial by error.

Kudos to the Nigerian car owners who volunteered their cars for kazeem to update his knowledge. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 9:01am On May 19, 2016
emekaxy:
my tire pressure light is always ON, they are all brand new 2015 tires, I have checked the tire pressure to ensure its the recommended 30psi written around the drivers door, do alignment n wheel balancing, I have also tried to reset it manually after doing all this yet no way.

Please I need an advice on how to go about this, it's a 2008 Toyota camry xle.

than you

So sorry replying late.

Also ensure that your spare tire has the correct inflation. If this doesn't clear it, know that one or more of the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors is bad or broken. If so, your options are, change it or continue using it like that but without the functionality.

Cheers
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 9:05am On May 19, 2016
Generalmac:
Ogbeni.. Are you a mechanic??
Nice tho..
Yes sir.
We are proud mechanics. Do you have any issue with your car?
We fix all types and brands.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 9:09am On May 19, 2016
ceelog:
I recently changed my blown radiator with a new one that had an inscription "do not use coolant"... with what you have said...should I just use a coolant instead of water?

Please follow the instructions written on the radiator.

But this shows that that's not the car's manufacturer's recommended radiator for your car.

As soon as you can please revert to the right spec to save your engine and improve the performance.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 9:11am On May 19, 2016
AngelAhnie:
Also ask them why they look dirty all the time? I mistake them for mentally challenged people most times. To the mechanics in the house, why are you guys always dirty? tongue

From the pictures above are we dirty? Those who want will be dirty, for us, we are not. In fact outside the workshop, you can never guess that we are mechanics.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 9:13am On May 19, 2016
egopersonified:
This check engine light has always being an issue with all the cars I have driven. No one ever seems to know why.

Lol. Because they are in the dark. We have all the tools for diagnosis and repairs. No car leaves our workshop with a check engine light on. Unless the owner is not ready to fix it. But we must, emphasis, must identify and have the capacity to fix it.

U wan try us?

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 9:15am On May 19, 2016
UuzbaGuuzba:
Since you know all this INFORMATION, why don't you repair the car yourself?
The PURPOSE of the mechanic is to make as much money of you as possible if not he will be out of business. He will play every trick in the book to play dumb. And just when you think he is no good, he will suddenly solve one pressing issue in your car. Hence you get to pay him GRATEFULLY, for that which he has done.
You are the dumb ass. In Europe, people buy repair manuals and fix the cars themselves. Be prepared to pay with your Arm and Leg the moment you take your car to the mechanic and stop forming Professor wet no get job.
Abi, if you sabi am, why you no get workshop?

Sorry u hear. So the pictures were not taken in our workshop right? Oh I forgot, that's a health center.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by AngelAhnie(f): 9:15am On May 19, 2016
naijacarlovers:

From the pictures above are we dirty? Those who want will be dirty, for us, we are not. In fact outside the workshop, you can never guess that we are mechanics.

most of your colleagues are dirty
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 9:17am On May 19, 2016
eghuan1:
All I see is copy and paste. If not how do you explain the issue of freezing coolant in Nigeria?

Must you be uncouth?

Please scour the Internet or any textbook and tell the house were it was copied from.

We are not lacking in mental capacity you hear?
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 9:25am On May 19, 2016
moscobabs:
naijacarlovers thanks for this useful information

pls I need your help . I have been using my car for past 2 year I bought it tokunbo but the power steering fluid and break oil have not gone down.. they always gauge and I never have any break fail or steering problem also a friend just told me that I need to be changing my gear oil after 3 or six months but I never done that before I only top it when its low.
also My car is prone to overheated esp. in hot weather and in Lagos traffic, my mechanic advised me to change the radiator cos my car came with single radiator

please is there any damage(s) these could cause to my car? .

my car is Nissan quest(2000)

thank u sir

Please do not remove your thermostat and do not change your radiator because it's a single cell.

You do not need to change the power steering oil and brake fluid if they haven't gone down. Lucky you. That means that there is no leakage in their system. This is assuming that they are serving you well. But two years, your brake pads should have gone down by now. So once they go down, the brake fluid will also go down. Do not top it up, change the pads and the fluid will return to its original level.

Gearbox oil, if you use the recommended spec, should out last your three monthly service. Though this depends on the usage of the car also. That's not bad just that you are over servicing it. Not bad all the same.

Something is causing the overheating. Send me a mail. naijacarloversblogspot@gmail.com. Cheers
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by moscobabs(m): 9:34am On May 19, 2016
naijacarlovers:

Please do not remove your thermostat and do not change your radiator because it's a single cell.

You do not need to change the power steering oil and brake fluid if they haven't gone down. Lucky you. That means that there is no leakage in their system. This is assuming that they are serving you well. But two years, your brake pads should have gone down by now. So once they go down, the brake fluid will also go down. Do not top it up, change the pads and the fluid will return to its original level.

Gearbox oil, if you use the recommended spec, should out last your three monthly service. Though this depends on the usage of the car also. That's not bad just that you are over servicing it. Not bad all the same.

Something is causing the overheating. Send me a mail. naijacarloversblogspot@gmail.com. Cheers
thanks sir.but the thermostat is already been removed.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by dane(m): 10:27am On May 19, 2016
I have a Nissan maxima, i noticed that after my mechanic changed the break pads, i have to completely depressed the break with all force sometimes almost holding the steering to bring the car to complete stop without hitting a car in front especially at traffic lights. Now my break oil is getting empty.if filled now within a 20 mins trip its empty not short but Completely empty. The mechanic said there is a leakage nd advice topping it.
Kindly advice.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by Automaton09(m): 10:40am On May 19, 2016
Well its nice to have read all your comments, but the interesting thing here is that automobile manufacturers have moved on, while most vehicle owners in Nigeria refuse to do same. Mechanics are dirty while working because of the nature of their job. The problems we are having in the automobile repair industry are mostly caused by the vehicle owners, most of them don't know anything about their vehicles and when you try to explain to them, they say you are a CHEAT. Thank God the automobile repair industry in Nigeria has started embracing the advancement in automobile technology , In a very short while things will fall into place. If you have a vehicle from 2006 and above, Please look for a good Technician to fix your vehicle or else the fitters will keep downgrading it. Thanks. The Mechanics @ Automaton On Wheels
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 10:51am On May 19, 2016
AngelAhnie:

Ok o. But don't generalize naa.

If i say that everyone in your field is a quack i know you won't like it.

Anyway, thanks for the engagement.

Changes are coming in the industry o.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by professore(m): 10:54am On May 19, 2016
The Brake system has a closed loop path for fluid flow and because of the importance of the Brake system to safety of life and properties the cause of shortage should be checked before fluid replacement.

The right specifications for your Brake Fluid is as inscribed on your Brake Reservoir Cap and in your Vehicle Owner's Manual. This specification should be adhered to as Vehicles with expensive Electronic Brake Systems fail easily with the usage of wrong Brake Fluid Specification. Some common Specifications include DOT III (for 2000 to 2007 model vehicles), DOT IV (for 2008 and Newer models). If particles are found in the Brake Fluid Reservoir, consider flushing and replacing the whole Brake Fluid.

N.B: Used Engine Oil is cancerous and should not be handled carelessly. If in contact with the Skin wash it thoroughly with Soap and Water.

Adulterated Oil will be greenish or burnt brown in coloration and thick, this shouldn't be used on any vehicle Engine.

Finally, inspect your Oil dipstick for traces of tiny particles and metal pieces. This will help you identity how suitable the Oil blend is for your Engine and also to know if the Engine needs a flush or not before a new Oil is put into the Engine.

But any Mechanic that assures you that such warning light i.e. MIL, ABS e.t.c., require Diagnosis before the fault can be fixed deserves an applause and he/she is in tune with modern vehicle repairs.

I learnt from these selected parts of the post,nice post overall

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by pek(m): 11:06am On May 19, 2016
@ubecharles, why are you so daft? Must you quote the whole epistle?
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 11:10am On May 19, 2016
I want to give an expo.....Automaton09 is one of Nigeria's finest and best mechanics. Quietly keeping a lot of cars in top shape.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 11:14am On May 19, 2016
professore:
The Brake system has a closed loop path for fluid flow and because of the importance of the Brake system to safety of life and properties the cause of shortage should be checked before fluid replacement.

The right specifications for your Brake Fluid is as inscribed on your Brake Reservoir Cap and in your Vehicle Owner's Manual. This specification should be adhered to as Vehicles with expensive Electronic Brake Systems fail easily with the usage of wrong Brake Fluid Specification. Some common Specifications include DOT III (for 2000 to 2007 model vehicles), DOT IV (for 2008 and Newer models). If particles are found in the Brake Fluid Reservoir, consider flushing and replacing the whole Brake Fluid.

N.B: Used Engine Oil is cancerous and should not be handled carelessly. If in contact with the Skin wash it thoroughly with Soap and Water.

Adulterated Oil will be greenish or burnt brown in coloration and thick, this shouldn't be used on any vehicle Engine.

Finally, inspect your Oil dipstick for traces of tiny particles and metal pieces. This will help you identity how suitable the Oil blend is for your Engine and also to know if the Engine needs a flush or not before a new Oil is put into the Engine.

But any Mechanic that assures you that such warning light i.e. MIL, ABS e.t.c., require Diagnosis before the fault can be fixed deserves an applause and he/she is in tune with modern vehicle repairs.

I learnt from these selected parts of the post,nice post overall

Nice one boss. Let's keep in touch. Reach me through www.naijacarlovers.com. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by naijacarlovers: 11:17am On May 19, 2016
moscobabs:

thanks sir.but the thermostat is already been removed.

Sorry. The car can never operate at it's designed heating threshold again and will start compromising other components and the performance of the car. Kpele.

But if you want all these can be sorted out within a very good budget.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by moscobabs(m): 11:27am On May 19, 2016
naijacarlovers:

Sorry. The car can never operate at it's designed heating threshold again and will start compromising other components and the performance of the car. Kpele.

so what do u suggest bro?
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by ogawisdom(m): 11:35am On May 19, 2016
naijacarlovers:

It will reach its operating temperature only dt it will take a longer time esp if d fan is steady. It's wrong to say it will never reach its operating temp.

Running a cold engine longer decreases efficiency and fuel economy, best to have d thermostat n fan to factory settings

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by Automaton09(m): 11:54am On May 19, 2016
spicytayomic:
Nice write up
Thanks Bro, you can get more educative information on our Facebook page Automaton On Wheels page or naijacarlovers blog. You will never regret you did visit.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by Automaton09(m): 12:10pm On May 19, 2016
UuzbaGuuzba:
Since you know all this INFORMATION, why don't you repair the car yourself?
The PURPOSE of the mechanic is to make as much money of you as possible if not he will be out of business. He will play every trick in the book to play dumb. And just when you think he is no good, he will suddenly solve one pressing issue in your car. Hence you get to pay him GRATEFULLY, for that which he has done.
You are the dumb ass. In Europe, people buy repair manuals and fix the cars themselves. Be prepared to pay with your Arm and Leg the moment you take your car to the mechanic and stop forming Professor wet no get job.
Abi, if you sabi am, why you no get workshop?
Its funny to observe that instead of appreciating the information provided and use it for your benefit, you prefer to insult the writer who took out time to educate us, if you think its easy go and buy your vehicle repair manual and fix it yourself. With due respect to all readers of this article.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by greggng: 12:11pm On May 19, 2016
Single radiator is not the cause of over heating. I was told all this when my car over heated like 2 times. The only thing that worked for me was flushing my radiator and replacing the radiator cap and since then my car never over heated.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by eghuan1(m): 12:14pm On May 19, 2016
naijacarlovers:

Must you be uncouth?

Please scour the Internet or any textbook and tell the house were it was copied from.

We are not lacking in mental capacity you hear?

If you don't know what intellectual criticism is all about then am sorry for you. Instead of you to disprove my claim with existential facts you are here commiting logical fallacy of attacking the person. I never said you copied it from the internet but I am certain you did not write this stuff yourself.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 19, 2016
emekaxy:
my tire pressure light is always ON, they are all brand new 2015 tires, I have checked the tire pressure to ensure its the recommended 30psi written around the drivers door, do alignment n wheel balancing, I have also tried to reset it manually after doing all this yet no way.

Please I need an advice on how to go about this, it's a 2008 Toyota camry xle.

than you

Did you check the spare tyre too?

Either the spare tyre is at fault or the sensor in one or more rims is damaged or absent.
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by starlingbawa(m): 3:21pm On May 19, 2016
AngelAhnie:

They have given us vital information on car maintenance and all you care about is whether the guys are dirty or not?

Don't you think the message is more important here
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by AngelAhnie(f): 3:24pm On May 19, 2016
starlingbawa:

They have given us vital information on car maintenance and all you care about is whether the guys are dirty or not?

Don't you think the message is more important here
see one that goes about with oil all over himself. He said we should ask them few questions and I asked angry
Re: Questions To Ask Your Mechanic Next Time You Visit by starlingbawa(m): 3:30pm On May 19, 2016
AngelAhnie:
see one that goes about with oil all over himself. He said we should ask them few questions and I asked angry

Then i guess you are more concerned with how they look rather than what they can do for our cars... I can relate to that.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Real People Who Were Used As Car Crash Test Dummies In 1970s Germany / Please Advice: What Car Should I Buy For Mom ? / E-Volo Unveils Volocopter 2X, The 18 Rotor Flying Taxi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.