Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:03 AM

Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. (28903 Views)

Woman Finds Salamander In Her Pot Of Soup (Photos) / Slay Queen Caught Bush Meat, Prepares Delicious Pepper Soup (photos) / Do You Want Your Baby Naturally Chubby And Healthy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 6:12am On May 13, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Y you wan pour sand for my garri na.....

Chai.... you wan make food small?

Hahaha. I loff you na, you know there's love in sharing grin
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 6:22am On May 13, 2016
OLUJOSHINS:

my dear, pls direct me on how to vote 4 U oooooo

the useful nature of Ur thread commands my vote

Awww, thanks a lot *kisses*

I'll mention you on the voting thread when it's time. Do help me inform your friends and followers too.

Have a nice daykiss

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by BiafraBushBoy(m): 7:03am On May 13, 2016
lanicky:

Hahaha. I loff you na, you know there's love in sharing grin
I loff u too... but you go wait make I chop finish, u go cum scrape pot... lol..

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by bigcil2(m): 7:09am On May 13, 2016
lanicky:
Hi all, I know these past few months have been hell on earth. I noticed that most of our recipes in the Southern and Western part of Nigeria requires soup as a compliment. I will be giving out few tips to save money and create long lasting and tasty soups. smiley

1) Dried red bell pepper: Dried tatashe/ can perform wonders when you want a soup that you can keep adding water. It primary function is to thicken the soup. You can make a difference to your pot of soup or stew with a few dried pepper. Simply soak in hot water for 30 mins to 1 hr till it softens and add it to the rest of the ingredients, blend together, use as usual. I don’t have a recipe at hand however it would go like this:
-a couple of tomato puree sachets like 2 or 3 sachets
-10 dried red bell pepper
-2 onions
-Dried Chili Pepper
-other spices like garlic
-oil

Prepare your stew as usualsmiley

Soya cheese: it is a great substitute for expensive proteins. The downside is the energy and time it requires to peel, boil, cook and/or fry to finally get those meat-like substitutes.

http://www.9jafoodie.com/wara-tofu/

-Instead of lime juice, you can get fermented/sour water from people who make ogi/pap/cornmeal. You can get it for free or buy from them cheaply. You need the same quantity as the soya milk to curdle. Just add it to the milk while it is boiling and wait for it to curdle.

Dried Chili Pepper or Sonbo: it is funny how most people often continue to use scotch bonnet pepper (Pepper) over dried chili pepper during hard times. If you want to make small and cheaper sauce for rice, yam, beans. Simply soak your dried chili pepper in hot water till it softens or soak overnight, add enough onions, ginger, garlic and other spices to douse the spiciness, fry as usual. If you do not really like hot sauce, please omit the ginger. You can use these combo to eat your rice, beans and yam.

Egg stew: the good thing about egg stew is that you do not need lots of eggs to create a substitute for Fried eggs. You still have the protein and pepper. You can use any pepper mix to create a perfect egg stew.

-Blend your pepper with onion, fry, you do not want a thick consistency if you are trying to make more.

-Season well

-Add your beaten eggs

-Continue to mix until it has solidifes

Lafun, cornmeal(tuwo) and wheat: these are morsel foods that you can substitute for Amala/eat/Semo/poundo yam and occasionally garri. Did I hear poor man's foods? I beg to disagree. Food is food. If it tastes great and is filling, then you don't have to justify it. The cheaper process that takes to make them does not mean they are inferior to other foods of the same category.

Beans soup(Gbegiri): it is a perfect and healthy substitute for soups that accompany morsels. Peel your beans, boil with onions till it softens, mash it and sieve (if you have a blender, just blend the beans with the rest of the ingredients or you could blend the beans and add it to the Pepper mix).

http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/gbegiri-soup.html

Okro/ogbono soup: this is the time to learn to make okro soup. You do not need tomato or Pepper mix to make a great soup. You can make a tasty okro soup with dried pepper and palm oil.

http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/okra-okro-soup.html

Banga soup (palm fruit): This soup is commonly prepared in SS and SE parts of Nigeria. Palm fruit extracts make up up the bulk of the soup. It is a great alternative to proper egusi soup or vegetable soups.

http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/banga-soup.html`

Melon soup: this type of melon soup is different. I believe it originates from Ijebu. It is not like the popular version of melon soup. The amazing thing about this soup is that you can eat it with rice and your morsels. You blend your dried melon with onions, scotch bonnet pepper or dried chili pepper, adding red bell pepper or dried red bell pepper is optional. Usually it contains more water, so you can add more water until you achieve the consistency you desire.

http://dooneyskitchen.com/egusi-ijebu-authentic-version/

Cc:

tjskii, MissyB3, Mynd44, lalasticlala.

The first NL Bae with pics that I can say is pretty. Thumbs up with the write up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 7:34am On May 13, 2016
bigcil2:

The first NL Bae with pics that I can say is pretty. Thumbs up with the write up.

Thanks a lot smiley
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 7:34am On May 13, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

I loff u too... but you go wait make I chop finish, u go cum scrape pot... lol..

Wicked cheesy

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Mediapace: 7:44am On May 13, 2016
Hmm. I MISsed all these yesterday,and am even hungry now.

Lanicky is there any food remaining ?
I wan use them for breakfast am kinda hungry,already salivating Lanicky
arabadayor17:
Where's Mediapace? Come see better and cheap recipe o grin

Mehn that gbegiri soup no be here o. If you won enjoy am take am chop correct amala. Chai! grin
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 8:16am On May 13, 2016
Mediapace:
Hmm. I MISsed all these yesterday,and am even hungry now.

Lanicky is there any food remaining ?
I wan use them for breakfast am kinda hungry,already salivating Lanicky

Food Don finish o...you came late tongue
Lol. Good morning.

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Mediapace: 8:24am On May 13, 2016
Lanicky why now,you can't even keep Meal for a friend,you finished all
lanicky:

Food Don finish o...you came late tongue Lol. Good morning.
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by joseph1832(m): 8:41am On May 13, 2016
skarlett:

I can tongue
Oh really. Oya, how much does it cost to cook a pot of bitter leaf soup. Let's see how well you know your kitchen, unlike the OP grin

Zidjay:
Me haff been cooking with dried pepper (It's expensive now, but way better) since the epileptic market price of fresh pepper and tomato. I don't even know how much dey sell tomato. Wetin concern me undecided. And everyone in the house can attest to the sweet difference.
The emboldened bear testament that negates the essence of this thread. Since the OP said cheap, and you attest that it is no longer cheap but way better attest to this.

Also, 50 Naira tomatoes is now a proper joke, I don't even want to talk to how much a basket of tomatoes is, talk less of Tatashe and Atarodo.

Lafun sef don cost o... But it's a good substitute for elubo dudu.
We have swapped ogbono for egusi. Ogbono is now expensive!
Bro, I'm sure you know a derica of (hand break) egusi which was N400 is now almost going for N500, half a derica of egusi is now almost N250. This is just the tip of the iceberg oh. Lafun too is now cost. Ogbono is a no go area.

Things are now so expensive, the OP should have included the price of the meals she mentioned. I'm sure she knows if she included it she'll be astound to find out that even she can't afford it. Lol. grin
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by bigcil2(m): 9:25am On May 13, 2016
lanicky:

Thanks a lot smiley
If you don't mind kindly follow me wink
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 9:48am On May 13, 2016
bigcil2:

If you don't mind kindly follow me wink

Oops.. I can't follow anybody again. I've reached the limit which is 250. cry

I'll give you a mention on my chat thread if you don't mindsmiley

2 Likes

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 10:18am On May 13, 2016
chubbygal:
Mouth watering duo

Oh lawd! Those pics just made my stomach growl. grin

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 10:19am On May 13, 2016
Mediapace:
Lanicky why now,you can't even keep Meal for a friend,you finished all

cry I'm sorry.
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Mediapace: 10:32am On May 13, 2016
Am very sure you will prepare another one after the contest,hope i will get a plate on that one?
lanicky:

cry I'm sorry.
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Nobody: 10:37am On May 13, 2016
Bamz:

Is there a more detailed procedure you could provide?
PS. I'm an infrequent cook
Here's my mom's recipe for it
1.Pour ur groundnut oil into a pot on fire
2. When it's hot enough, pour ur sliced onions n tomatoes (diced or blended with peppers)
3. Stir at intervals till well cooked
4. Add ur whisked eggs n let cook for less than a minute. Stir so dd eggs form little clumps( abi balls? )
5. A little water, other stuff like salt, Maggi, ugu leaf (optional) , fish, etc. Whatever you want to sweeten it to your taste. Stir n take it off the fire after a minute or two. Gbam, nni eyego (hope I got dt spelling ryt). Food is ready. Serve with boiled yam or rice or something else.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 10:45am On May 13, 2016
Zidjay:
Me haff been cooking with dried pepper (It's expensive now, but way better) since the epileptic market price of fresh pepper and tomato. I don't even know how much dey sell tomato. Wetin concern me undecided. And everyone in the house can attest to the sweet difference.

Lafun sef don cost o... But it's a good substitute for elubo dudu.
We have swapped ogbono for egusi. Ogbono is now expensive!

Dried pepper is cheaper than fresh red pepper. A dozen of dried pepper is 100 naira, and it's enough to make a soup when you add #100 fresh tomatoes with enough onions.
I love the taste when grinded with fresh onions. Infact, it's not necessary to add fresh tomatoes or tomato paste with it if you want to make a sauce.

You can use as many onions as possible (atleast onion is very cheap in the market. It's just 70 naira per dozen if you really know how to price things) cheesy

While

The smallest size bowl of fresh pepper is #100, and you will hardly find 15 fresh peppers in the bowl. Which is not enough to make a better soup.

•Lafun is cheaper than elubo dudu...so it's better to eat it for now till the economy gets better.

4 Likes

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 10:52am On May 13, 2016
Mediapace:
Am very sure you will prepare another one after the contest,hope i will get a plate on that one?

Hehehehehe.. an E plate right? grin
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Mediapace: 11:03am On May 13, 2016
No we will meet at Adeyemi<your school> and don't forget to add a cup of Cofee .
lanicky:

Hehehehehe.. an E plate right? grin
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 11:10am On May 13, 2016
Mediapace:
No we will meet at Adeyemi<your school> and don't forget to add a cup of Cofee .

Hehehe. No problem.
A cup of coffee? *shrugs* okay. I prefer tea though.
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Mediapace: 11:20am On May 13, 2016
Tea keh, anyway if you say so.
Hope you will not lock me outside when i visit?
lanicky:

Hehehe. No problem. A cup of coffee? *shrugs* okay. I prefer tea though.
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by bigcil2(m): 12:02pm On May 13, 2016
lanicky:

Fb.com/bigcil wink
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by doveda: 6:17pm On May 13, 2016
Where is the Agbaya, Josephu, Joseph1832!!!!

lanicky:

Dried pepper is cheaper than fresh red pepper. A dozen of dried pepper is 100 naira, and it's enough to make a soup when you add #100 fresh tomatoes with enough onions.
I love the taste when grinded with fresh onions. Infact, it's not necessary to add fresh tomatoes or tomato paste with it if you want to make a sauce.

You can use as many onions as possible (atleast onion is very cheap in the market. It's just 70 naira per dozen if you really know how to price things) cheesy

While

The smallest size bowl of fresh pepper is #100, and you will hardly find 15 fresh peppers in the bowl. Which is not enough to make a better soup.

•Lafun is cheaper than elubo dudu...so it's better to eat it for now till the economy gets better.

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by joseph1832(m): 7:04pm On May 13, 2016
lanicky:

While

So between Banga soup and Egusi soup, which is cheaper?
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by bigcil2(m): 10:36am On May 15, 2016
lanicky:

Still waiting lol
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by bobkezel(m): 8:34pm On May 18, 2016
Omo if i follow all these ur steps, na malnutrition be that o. Wetin pepper and palm oil wan giv me ni.
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Honesty007(m): 3:31pm On May 22, 2016
lanicky:
Hi all, I know these past few months have been hell on earth. I noticed that most of our recipes in the Southern and Western part of Nigeria requires soup as a compliment. I will be giving out few tips to save money and create long lasting and tasty soups. smiley

1) Dried red bell pepper: Dried tatashe/ can perform wonders when you want a soup that you can keep adding water. It primary function is to thicken the soup. You can make a difference to your pot of soup or stew with a few dried pepper. Simply soak in hot water for 30 mins to 1 hr till it softens and add it to the rest of the ingredients, blend together, use as usual. I don’t have a recipe at hand however it would go like this:
-a couple of tomato puree sachets like 2 or 3 sachets
-10 dried red bell pepper
-2 onions
-Dried Chili Pepper
-other spices like garlic
-oil

Prepare your stew as usualsmiley

Soya cheese: it is a great substitute for expensive proteins. The downside is the energy and time it requires to peel, boil, cook and/or fry to finally get those meat-like substitutes.

http://www.9jafoodie.com/wara-tofu/

-Instead of lime juice, you can get fermented/sour water from people who make ogi/pap/cornmeal. You can get it for free or buy from them cheaply. You need the same quantity as the soya milk to curdle. Just add it to the milk while it is boiling and wait for it to curdle.

Dried Chili Pepper or Sonbo: it is funny how most people often continue to use scotch bonnet pepper (Pepper) over dried chili pepper during hard times. If you want to make small and cheaper sauce for rice, yam, beans. Simply soak your dried chili pepper in hot water till it softens or soak overnight, add enough onions, ginger, garlic and other spices to douse the spiciness, fry as usual. If you do not really like hot sauce, please omit the ginger. You can use these combo to eat your rice, beans and yam.

Egg stew: the good thing about egg stew is that you do not need lots of eggs to create a substitute for Fried eggs. You still have the protein and pepper. You can use any pepper mix to create a perfect egg stew.

-Blend your pepper with onion, fry, you do not want a thick consistency if you are trying to make more.

-Season well

-Add your beaten eggs

-Continue to mix until it has solidifes

Lafun, cornmeal(tuwo) and wheat: these are morsel foods that you can substitute for Amala/eat/Semo/poundo yam and occasionally garri. Did I hear poor man's foods? I beg to disagree. Food is food. If it tastes great and is filling, then you don't have to justify it. The cheaper process that takes to make them does not mean they are inferior to other foods of the same category.

Beans soup(Gbegiri): it is a perfect and healthy substitute for soups that accompany morsels. Peel your beans, boil with onions till it softens, mash it and sieve (if you have a blender, just blend the beans with the rest of the ingredients or you could blend the beans and add it to the Pepper mix).

http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/gbegiri-soup.html

Okro/ogbono soup: this is the time to learn to make okro soup. You do not need tomato or Pepper mix to make a great soup. You can make a tasty okro soup with dried pepper and palm oil.

http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/okra-okro-soup.html

Banga soup (palm fruit): This soup is commonly prepared in SS and SE parts of Nigeria. Palm fruit extracts make up up the bulk of the soup. It is a great alternative to proper egusi soup or vegetable soups.

http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/banga-soup.html`

Melon soup: this type of melon soup is different. I believe it originates from Ijebu. It is not like the popular version of melon soup. The amazing thing about this soup is that you can eat it with rice and your morsels. You blend your dried melon with onions, scotch bonnet pepper or dried chili pepper, adding red bell pepper or dried red bell pepper is optional. Usually it contains more water, so you can add more water until you achieve the consistency you desire.

http://dooneyskitchen.com/egusi-ijebu-authentic-version/

Cc:

tjskii, MissyB3, Mynd44, lalasticlala.

Lanicky,i havent been able to access the mail u sent me.however add me on whatsapp 08r47029188

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 8:54pm On May 22, 2016
Honesty007:

Lanicky,i havent been able to access the mail u sent me.however add me on whatsapp 08r47029188

Okay dear.
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 9:01pm On May 22, 2016
Honesty007:

What's the r? 0 or 1

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mistakes Guys Make While Cooking / Best Themed Restaurants In Lagos Nigeria / Five Vitamin Rich Foods That Are Good For Your Eyes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.