Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? (16922 Views)

Stephanie Otobo's Mother Begging Apostle Suleman To Forgive Her Daughter (Video) / Stephanie Otobo's Mother Begs Apostle Suleman: "Please Forgive My Daughter" / Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by pressplay411(m): 2:23pm On May 15, 2016
R2bees:
sin against the holy spirit

I keep hearing this but can you gimme an example?
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by YomaA(m): 2:24pm On May 15, 2016
Yes the sin against the holy spirit.read ur bible
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by pressplay411(m): 2:28pm On May 15, 2016
AngelAhnie:
Biko, where is the insult?

A compliment is returned with a simple "thanks" not questioning the compliment but you not seeing that as an insult tho, really? Are u so nigerienne?
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by haywire07(m): 2:28pm On May 15, 2016
I remembered preaching this topic in the NCCF corper's lodge...and everyone took d preaching to be an everyday joke .

The sin against holy spirit is unforgivable !!!! Gbam

At a point in everyone's life mostly as 'conscious" children or youth, we hav mocked the holy spirit by faking speaking in tongues or imitating our pastor who spoke in tongues .

Wat am saying is, we that will make heaven are not much any longer .

Y'all doomed grin

And my special pity to 'CE' and other churches that forces u to speak in tongues (fake tongues)
"Broda jst say something, you must speak in tongues'' SMH

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by AngelAhnie(f): 2:30pm On May 15, 2016
pressplay411:

A compliment is returned with a simple "thanks" not questioning the compliment but you not seeing that as an insult tho, really? Are u so nigerienne?
oh, that? I was joking with him
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by 2best(m): 2:30pm On May 15, 2016
What does blaspheme against the Holy Ghost really means.
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by YomaA(m): 2:31pm On May 15, 2016
Mark 3:29
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by irisola(f): 2:32pm On May 15, 2016
yes.. sin against the holy spirit..
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by RobinHez(m): 2:35pm On May 15, 2016
buskie13:
foolish mods...y dem delete that guy comment and d quote..ogbologbo ppl
Don't mind them mods...that was an epic message to the op's siggy! angry
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by anataala: 2:36pm On May 15, 2016
4:48 Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed.

4:116 Allah forgiveth not (The sin of) joining other gods with Him; but He forgiveth whom He pleaseth other sins than this: one who joins other gods with Allah, Hath strayed far, far away (from the right).

And:

4:153 ...Yet they worshipped the calf even after clear signs had come to them; even so we forgave them; and gave Moses manifest proofs of authority.

25:68,70-71 And those who invoke not any other god along with Allah...and whoever does this shall receive the punishment...Except those who repent and believe (in Islâmic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds, for those, Allâh will change their sins into good deeds, and Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
And whosoever repents and does righteous good deeds, then verily, he repents towards Allâh with true repentance.

Shirk is the sin of associating partners with Allah, i.e. attributing divinity or worshipping other than the One Creator.

The explanation of these verses becomes clear if we review the Islamic beliefs one at a time.

1. The first principle is that Allah will forgive ALL sins of anyone who repents sincerely during this life, before their death. This is made clear in the following verse of the Qur'an:

39:53-55 Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah. for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. Turn ye to our Lord (in repentance) and bow to His (Will), before the Penalty comes on you: after that ye shall not be helped. And follow the best of (the courses) revealed to you from your Lord, before the Penalty comes on you - of a sudden while ye perceive not!

From the above verse we understand that Allah will forgive all of our sins if we repent before the coming of a "sudden penalty", which refers to death.

2. The second principle here is that after one dies, they are at the mercy of Allah, who may choose to forgive them of their sins or punish them for it, according to what is just. Allah may forgive all of one's sins after they die, except shirk. After a person dies, they will not be forgiven for shirk. The only chance of forgiveness for shirk is if one repents before they die.

3. The above understanding is derived from the Qur'an and the Sunnah, and can be found in many common Tafsir of the Qur'an. For example, Ibn Kathir Ad-Damishqi (d. 1372CE) writes for this verse in his renowned Tafsir Al-Qur'an Al-Azim:

Allah does not forgive shirk, except after repenting from it. (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Abridged, Darussalam Publishers & Distributors, 2000, vol. 2, p. 481)

And Muhammad Asad comments on the verse:

The continuous stress, in the Qur'an, on God's transcendental oneness and uniqueness aims at freeing man from all sense of dependence on other influences and powers, and thus at elevating him spiritually and bringing about the "purification" alluded to in the next verse. Since this objective is vitiated by the sin of shirk ("the ascribing of divine qualities to aught beside God"wink, the Qur'an describes it as "unforgivable" so long as it is persisted in, i.e., unless and until the sinner repents (cf. verses 17 and 18 of this surah). (Asad, Message of the Qur'an, The Book Foundation 2003)

And verses 4:17-18 read:

4:17-18 Allah accepts the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance and foolishness and repent soon afterwards; it is they to whom Allah will forgive and Allah is Ever All Knower, All Wise. And of no effect is the repentance of those who continue to do evil deeds until death faces one of them and he says: "Now I repent;" nor of those who die while they are disbelievers. For them We have prepared a painful torment.

If a person dies practicing shirk, or not having repented from it, he can never be forgiven for this sin. However, if a person commits shirk before accepting Islam, and dies as a Muslim, then the sin of shirk will be forgiven. This is because a person will be judged by Allah based on his conditions and iman (faith) at the time of death, so if he committed shirk in the past, but eventually accepted Islam, then such a sin would be forgiven. (Qadhi, A Critical Study of Shirk : An Explanation of Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab's Kash al-Shubuhat, Al-Hidaayah Publishing and Distribution 2003, p.22)

Thus, when the verses are interpreted in light of other Qur'anic laws, there is no contradiction.

englishmart:
some people say if you sin against the holy spirit, you will never be forgiven.
Does it mean that if you blaspheme against the holy spirit, your case is judged already? ( automatically you're going to hell)
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by RobinHez(m): 2:40pm On May 15, 2016
pressplay411:

U dey mind the babe?! Na their way be dat... undecided

My problem is with the guys that are giving them hope sef...angry
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by damilareoye: 2:46pm On May 15, 2016
No sin God can't forgive.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by emvico(m): 2:47pm On May 15, 2016
shocked make una no lie 4 here o
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by pressplay411(m): 2:48pm On May 15, 2016
RobinHez:

U dey mind the babe?! Na their way be dat... undecided

My problem is with the guys that are giving them hope sef...angry

I tire, their own dey their body like attire.
I don't have a problem complimenting a babe if she deserves it but most of these 9ja chics don't know how to act and yet they wonder why they get stuck with dushbags that treatem like they deserve.

But b4 I jump to conclusion, the chic in question may have been joking.
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by timilinda(f): 2:54pm On May 15, 2016
fart:
Yes. If you knowingly and purposefully turn people away from the truth about God. For example, apostates.

JW!!! Lol! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by KnightsTemplar(m): 2:57pm On May 15, 2016
tosinjay:
Sin against the Holy Spirit is not forgivable, sin against the Holy Spirit is not just a mere sin as I've oftenly thought deep about it. People who do, have extreme knowledge and do that willfully. I've been so deeply unclear about how it is to sin against the Holy Spirit that i wonder if i haven't done that at some point.

Am not a deeper lifer but i attend their programs at times and their bible study.
Pastor Kumuyi really did justice to that subject. We do know it's the Holy Spirit that convicts of sin He's the one who leads one to repentance and being sober to then accept repentance amd forsaking sin. In such cases He "The Holy Spirit" will depart from such an one because there's no point he'll never repent and never be saved. Being repentant is paramount to getting saved.

How does one sin against the Holy spirit, care to elaborate. Thanks.
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by Kaira333: 3:09pm On May 15, 2016
Let me not type what I don't know joor
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by RuddyFusion(m): 3:19pm On May 15, 2016
A bible student won't ask this question......The answer is simply...The Only sin God can't and won't forgive is the sin against the HolySpirit.....

Mark 3:28-30: "Truly I tell you, all sins and blasphemes will be forgiven for the sons of men. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin. He said this because they [the Pharisees] were saying, 'He has an evil spirit'."

Matt. 12 vs 31 - 32 31 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32"And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come,
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by Amberon: 3:27pm On May 15, 2016
really? I used to think I could mistakenly sin against the holy spirit.
stepo707:
Sin against The holyghost and it's not our type that commits such.
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by Amberon: 3:37pm On May 15, 2016
God has a son and his name is Jesus Christ. If you are a Muslim you can stick to your solitary confinement.
olajide21:
God; the Creator of all, The Sustainer and the one who would judge us all on the day of accountability does not forgive Shirk; worshiping others other than God Almoghty. However, God has said that whenever His servants, worshipper etc approaches Him seeking forgiveness, and he/she seeks forgiveness with sincerity, He would forgive the person....
God is One and Only.God is Eternal. God begets none and He was not begotten. He is the first and nothing is before Him.
He is the last and Notting would be after Him.
God is comparable to no one.
No matter what you sins are, seek sincere repentance and the Most Forgiven God shall forgive you.
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by Amberon: 3:41pm On May 15, 2016
I'm still searching for it sef.
AngelAhnie:
Biko, where is the insult?

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by Postboiswag(m): 3:44pm On May 15, 2016
Supporting PDP
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by Amberon: 3:45pm On May 15, 2016
Not long ago, my little cousin went to a CE church and they were like, "Let everybody begin to speak in tongues".

Na so everybody began uttering words, even little children. Lmao!!
haywire07:
I remembered preaching this topic in the NCCF corper's lodge...and everyone took d preaching to be an everyday joke .

The sin against holy spirit is unforgivable !!!! Gbam

At a point in everyone's life mostly as 'conscious" children or youth, we hav mocked the holy spirit by faking speaking in tongues or imitating our pastor who spoke in tongues .

Wat am saying is, we that will make heaven are not much any longer .

Y'all doomed grin

And my special pity to 'CE' and other churches that forces u to speak in tongues (fake tongues)
"Broda jst say something, you must speak in tongues'' SMH
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by akin33(m): 3:45pm On May 15, 2016
blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has no forgiveness.
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by Amberon: 3:48pm On May 15, 2016
This is a thread about the Only begotten son of GOD, not Allah.
anataala:

4:48 Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed.

4:116 Allah forgiveth not (The sin of) joining other gods with Him; but He forgiveth whom He pleaseth other sins than this: one who joins other gods with Allah, Hath strayed far, far away (from the right).

And:

4:153 ...Yet they worshipped the calf even after clear signs had come to them; even so we forgave them; and gave Moses manifest proofs of authority.

25:68,70-71 And those who invoke not any other god along with Allah...and whoever does this shall receive the punishment...Except those who repent and believe (in Islâmic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds, for those, Allâh will change their sins into good deeds, and Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
And whosoever repents and does righteous good deeds, then verily, he repents towards Allâh with true repentance.

Shirk is the sin of associating partners with Allah, i.e. attributing divinity or worshipping other than the One Creator.

The explanation of these verses becomes clear if we review the Islamic beliefs one at a time.

1. The first principle is that Allah will forgive ALL sins of anyone who repents sincerely during this life, before their death. This is made clear in the following verse of the Qur'an:

39:53-55 Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah. for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. Turn ye to our Lord (in repentance) and bow to His (Will), before the Penalty comes on you: after that ye shall not be helped. And follow the best of (the courses) revealed to you from your Lord, before the Penalty comes on you - of a sudden while ye perceive not!

From the above verse we understand that Allah will forgive all of our sins if we repent before the coming of a "sudden penalty", which refers to death.

2. The second principle here is that after one dies, they are at the mercy of Allah, who may choose to forgive them of their sins or punish them for it, according to what is just. Allah may forgive all of one's sins after they die, except shirk. After a person dies, they will not be forgiven for shirk. The only chance of forgiveness for shirk is if one repents before they die.

3. The above understanding is derived from the Qur'an and the Sunnah, and can be found in many common Tafsir of the Qur'an. For example, Ibn Kathir Ad-Damishqi (d. 1372CE) writes for this verse in his renowned Tafsir Al-Qur'an Al-Azim:

Allah does not forgive shirk, except after repenting from it. (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Abridged, Darussalam Publishers & Distributors, 2000, vol. 2, p. 481)

And Muhammad Asad comments on the verse:

The continuous stress, in the Qur'an, on God's transcendental oneness and uniqueness aims at freeing man from all sense of dependence on other influences and powers, and thus at elevating him spiritually and bringing about the "purification" alluded to in the next verse. Since this objective is vitiated by the sin of shirk ("the ascribing of divine qualities to aught beside God"wink, the Qur'an describes it as "unforgivable" so long as it is persisted in, i.e., unless and until the sinner repents (cf. verses 17 and 18 of this surah). (Asad, Message of the Qur'an, The Book Foundation 2003)

And verses 4:17-18 read:

4:17-18 Allah accepts the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance and foolishness and repent soon afterwards; it is they to whom Allah will forgive and Allah is Ever All Knower, All Wise. And of no effect is the repentance of those who continue to do evil deeds until death faces one of them and he says: "Now I repent;" nor of those who die while they are disbelievers. For them We have prepared a painful torment.

If a person dies practicing shirk, or not having repented from it, he can never be forgiven for this sin. However, if a person commits shirk before accepting Islam, and dies as a Muslim, then the sin of shirk will be forgiven. This is because a person will be judged by Allah based on his conditions and iman (faith) at the time of death, so if he committed shirk in the past, but eventually accepted Islam, then such a sin would be forgiven. (Qadhi, A Critical Study of Shirk : An Explanation of Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab's Kash al-Shubuhat, Al-Hidaayah Publishing and Distribution 2003, p.22)

Thus, when the verses are interpreted in light of other Qur'anic laws, there is no contradiction.

Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 15, 2016
englishmart:
some people say if you sin against the holy spirit, you will never be forgiven.
Does it mean that if you blaspheme against the holy spirit, your case is judged already? ( automatically you're going to hell)

There is no express definition of what it means to sin against the Holy Spirit I like the way John Piper puts it

"If we blaspheme and reject the Father and the Son, there is still hope, for the Spirit may yet work within us to humble us and bring us to repentance. But if behind the Father and the Son we see and taste the power of the Holy Spirit and reject his work as no more precious than the work of Satan, we shut ourselves off from the only one who could ever bring us to repentance. And so we shut ourselves off from forgiveness"

So I anyone is worried they have committed this sin, it means they havent!

http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/beyond-forgiveness-blasphemy-against-the-spirit
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by agborodun: 3:52pm On May 15, 2016
The answer is no.
My reason: If there is a sin that God can't forgive,then there's no need for repentance.
The bible emphasis that "all have sinned...."
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by Nobody: 3:52pm On May 15, 2016
Bishops10:
Cavet Emptor
are you a law student?
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by tosingcfr(m): 3:52pm On May 15, 2016
suicide
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by RobinHez(m): 3:57pm On May 15, 2016
pressplay411:

I tire, their own dey their body like attire.
I don't have a problem complimenting a babe if she deserves it but most of these 9ja chics don't know how to act and yet they wonder why they get stuck with dushbags that treatem like they deserve.

But b4 I jump to conclusion, the chic in question may have been joking.

Lol.. @bolded don't tell me u fell for that too, u know that's their escape route in any argument they've been cornered in! cheesy

Man, girls are not complicated, its just that we guys don't have time to start studying them lipsrsealed

Abeg, make we no derail this thread jare wink..:::..

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by RobinHez(m): 4:02pm On May 15, 2016
greenpasture:

There is no express definition of what it means to sin against the Holy Spirit I like the way John Piper puts it

"If we blaspheme and reject the Father and the Son, there is still hope, for the Spirit may yet work within us to humble us and bring us to repentance. But if behind the Father and the Son we see and taste the power of the Holy Spirit and reject his work as no more precious than the work of Satan, we shut ourselves off from the only one who could ever bring us to repentance. And so we shut ourselves off from forgiveness"

So I anyone is worried they have committed this sin, it means they havent!

http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/beyond-forgiveness-blasphemy-against-the-spirit

Great! @bolded.

Just like the issue of the 'slaying of Ananias and Saphira by the Holy Spirit' for telling him a lie...
Re: Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? by Kenturkey048(m): 4:03pm On May 15, 2016
Yes there is,homo sexuals!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Qualities Of A Good Christian Wife / When Your Prayers And Fasting Is Real, They Will Produce These Results / Heaven Helps Those Who Can't Help Themselves, Not The Other Way Round

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.