Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging (1061 Views)

Transmission Not Engaging. / Innoson Stops 85% Production Due To PMB's Policies, May Join 2Baba Protest / Speedometer Stops And Automatic Gear Stops Working (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by Scansoft: 6:43am On May 16, 2016
I need help please.. I forcefully climbed a muddy slipry Hill yesterday and the car stops. The reverse gear works fine, but D, D2, and L will not engage.
I called a mechanic who drained the fluid and added a new ATF but problem persists.
I need candid advice please as I did moved the car back home with reverse gear.
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:54am On May 16, 2016
Scansoft:
I need help please.. I forcefully climbed a muddy slipry Hill yesterday and the car stops. The reverse gear works fine, but D, D2, and L will not engage.
I called a mechanic who drained the fluid and added a new ATF but problem persists.

have you tried scanning? I feel you have burnt out your friction disks. (new gear loading)
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by cocoduck: 7:22am On May 16, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

have you tried scanning? I feel you have burnt out your friction disks. (new gear loading)
Seriously? You mean no body does Automatic gearbox rebuilding around you? Even here, nobody does it, I will invest my time and money into that area, and see what I can do.
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:38am On May 16, 2016
cocoduck:
Seriously? You mean no body does Automatic gearbox rebuilding around you? Even here, nobody does it, I will invest my time and money into that area, and see what I can do.

we are waiting for you grin
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by Scansoft: 8:49am On May 16, 2016
Thanks bro, I have not tried scanning. Yesterday was Sunday and hard to get mechanics. The car is home now and will go get a mechanic to come scan it
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by cocoduck: 9:13am On May 16, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

we are waiting for you grin
do you understand what I am saying? I did not say he didn't need a new tranny, I only asked a question, nobody around you in the whole of Lagos does rebuilding of Automatic trannies, especially for small cars? it is a question, here that I am, I only know people who rebuild trannies but for heavy duty applications only, ie trucks, I was planning to invest time and money into that, and acquire that knowledge, because I have some spoilt trannies lying around.

Nigerians and comprehension problem na like 5 and 6.
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:42pm On May 16, 2016
cocoduck:
do you understand what I am saying? I did not say he didn't need a new tranny, I only asked a question, nobody around you in the whole of Lagos does rebuilding of Automatic trannies, especially for small cars? it is a question, here that I am, I only know people who rebuild trannies but for heavy duty applications only, ie trucks, I was planning to invest time and money into that, and acquire that knowledge, because I have some spoilt trannies lying around.

Nigerians and comprehension problem na like 5 and 6.

you too like trouble.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by Kashif(m): 1:08pm On May 16, 2016
Scansoft:

Start with a physical check. Get under the vehicle and inspect the transmission sump. Make sure it is not dented. When you select a forward gear, do you feel any engagement?

Oil change does not fix problems.
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by Scansoft: 4:44pm On May 16, 2016
It was checked physically, no dent, filter removed and serviced before new ATF gear oil poured.
No engagement apart from the reverse gear.
Mechanics around me has no scanner. Planning to get one that has, to come check
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by Scansoft: 6:23am On May 24, 2016
Can anyone help me with the cost implications for new gear...
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by gateleo(m): 7:12am On May 24, 2016
Scansoft:
Can anyone help me with the cost implications for new gear...

Location matters... in IB....you need to have like 55 to 60k for Fairly used.
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by Nobody: 11:37am On May 24, 2016
How long did you drive on the bad road? Try to run a scan first sha.
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by Mullberry: 6:07pm On Jun 13, 2016
Forcefully? Then you might have had the clutches and brake drums worn out soo badly. I think this fault requires that a tech opens the base of the gearbox and do a couple of replacements. Sounds like a mechanical damage was done rather than electronic
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 13, 2016
There are competent people who build automatic transmissions, in Nigeria.

But note that the components arent produced locally, you will need to import them, at the current dollar rate the price is very prohibitive, you are advised to buy another transmission or convert to manual. grin

Camry is very easy to convert to manual, thats ur best bet. wink
Re: Please Help, My Camry2001 Stops And Drive D Not Engaging by BayoJoe: 5:44pm On Jun 15, 2016
gateleo:

Location matters... in IB....you need to have like 55 to 60k for Fairly used.

'Fair' enough...

(1) (Reply)

Experienced Drivers In The House, Pls Come Here O / Nigeria's 1st Auto Race Track To Be Built In 2017! / Foamy/whitish/powdery Substance Forming On My Battery Head

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.