Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" (20313 Views)

District 9 Video? / Time Magazine's Depiction Of Nollywood / District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by asha80(m): 11:04am On Aug 17, 2009
How many guys have watched the new film "District 9"?It was set in southafrica.The way nigerians were depicted there was something else.Cannibalistic,hedonestic,savage beings.

Will nigerians protest this?

The Nigerian gangsters are bloodthirsty, dishonest thugs, which is not a big deal- they’re gangsters, I get it. They see the aliens as mere cockroaches with money, so they don’t treat them well, and that makes perfect sense. They’re just cruel, self-interested mercenaries, and in this, they’re no worse than the film’s (mostly white) government officials, who cold-bloodedly torture and murder the aliens. So far no racism, just characters with motivations.

But!

The Nigerians have a wailing “witch doctor”. Who instructs them to eat the aliens. And they do it. Bloody, wriggling, and raw, of course.

We’re told that the black prostitutes “service” the aliens sexually. ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME??!

And when Wikus’ arm grows a claw, the Nigerian gang boss starts licking his chops, eager to commit cannibalism.

Yup, that’s Hollywood’s Africa, isn’t it. Black Africans shown as degenerate savages who’ll have sex with non-humans and are pretty damn eager to eat people.
http://www.racialicious.com/2009/08/18/district-9-is-racist-alternate-perspective/ source added by admin

Update: FG Bans Screening Of 'District 9' in Nigeria
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by soloqy: 8:32pm On Aug 17, 2009
what do you expect?

When we have Mend and other Militants causing havoc in the Niger delta, Criminals and mammon worshippers kidnapping people for ransome in the east(exported from Naija delta), Crazy and blood thirsty jihadists raping , looting and killing in the north as Boko Haramists. It seems the only remaining sane area is the south west.

No really, what do you expect?

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by aieromon(m): 8:38pm On Aug 17, 2009
I don't blame them.their marketing strategy paid off.u set a film in ZA and potray Nigerians as the bad guys.With what is happenin' now in Nigeria,i really don't blame them.its the world's turn to laff at us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_9 angry
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 2:00am On Aug 18, 2009
That movie is a joke. And I don't mean that like it was funny or anything. Who shoots decent movies in S.A. anyway? Those slurs about corruption, prostitution and slum life directed at Nigerians was a cheap shot from a tasteless perspective. I was too annoyed to continue the film. It's crap anyhow undecided.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by dreamara(f): 2:00pm On Aug 18, 2009
not like the S.A idiots are in any form beta than nigerians. bloody bastards!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by sjeezy8: 3:41pm On Aug 18, 2009
lol SA is a joke but why protest most of it was true and plus Nigerians acted in it
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 5:37pm On Aug 18, 2009
I'm not sure they were Nigerians, it could have been anyone, probably South Africans. But how would they feel if in Nigeria we did a movie where we painted South Africans as racists, rapists and AIDS-infested or what ever else they're notorious for? I just think it's part of the Naija-hate that S.A. is guilty of.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by jeffoski(m): 6:57pm On Aug 18, 2009
Why should S.A leave their own problems and then face Nigeria i don't blame them,i blame Nigerians after all most of what they acted was true anyway and i won't be surprise if Nigerians also acted in it we can do anything for money even spoil our name(which we are doing already)but S.A showing this is a slap on our face and i pray those yeye Nollywood will leave they Love and stupid stories alone and face this problem.lol
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by davidif: 3:03am On Aug 19, 2009
That movie is a joke. And I don't mean that like it was funny or anything. Who shoots decent movies in S.A. anyway? Those slurs about corruption, prostitution and slum life directed at Nigerians was a cheap shot from a tasteless perspective. I was too annoyed to continue the film. It's crap anyhow .

Hotel Rwanda, an academy award nominated movie was shot in South Africa, and so was blood diamond, "the ghost and the darkness" and lots of other hollywood movies so please do your research before you talk abeg.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 12:19pm On Aug 19, 2009
davidif:

Hotel Rwanda, an academy award nominated movie was shot in South Africa, and so was blood diamond, "the ghost and the darkness" and lots of other hollywood movies so please do your research before you talk abeg.

I don't need to do any research; there's a difference between shooting a movie in South Africa(as a location) and a movie from South Africa. Why don't you try to understand a post before you reply So essentially, what I meant to say was, who makes good movies in RSA anyway? Luckily for them they had an American producer but the screenwriting I'm sure was South African so that's why to me it looked like a crap movie - big sales or not.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSA(m): 2:28pm On Aug 19, 2009
maedan:

I don't need to do any research; there's a difference between shooting a movie in South Africa(as a location) and a movie from South Africa. Why don't you try to understand a post before you reply So essentially, what I meant to say was, who makes good movies in RSA anyway? Luckily for them they had an American producer but the screenwriting I'm sure was South African so that's why to me it looked like a crap movie - big sales or not.

As if you know what a movie is grin,SA make Oscar winning movies.We have South African Film Industry not a Sollyhood/Jozihood/Nollyhood/Ghannyhood grin

It is said that the love for your country is blinding you.Omo shine your eyes,I don't think the people who wrote the script give a damn or even knows anything about Nigeria,they just used the name.Just like Borat using Kazastan in his movie.So please have chill pill,nobody really cares about you or your country.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 3:03pm On Aug 19, 2009
RSA:

As if you know what a movie is grin,SA make Oscar winning movies.We have South African Film Industry not a Sollyhood/Jozihood/Nollyhood/Ghannyhood grin

It is said that the love for your country is blinding you.Omo shine your eyes,I don't think the people who wrote the script give a damn or even knows anything about Nigeria,they just used the name.Just like Borat using Kazastan in his movie.So please have chill pill,nobody really cares about you or your country.

Who are you to tell me if I know what a movie is Oh yes, I knew you'd reply sooner or later, I saw the thread you formed about how much the movie has achieved. How come it is the first, despite your claim that SA has a film industry, that is getting any accolades. If you can't see how crappy the movie is, then you're really full of crap yourself. Even huge blockbusters from Hollywood, like GI Joe and Transformers 3 got poor/critical reviews. Some people have taste and look beyond the big noise and see a movie for what it really is. And by the way, Nollywood to me has more to offer than the so-called SA movie industry. Who has ever heard of them anyway, before District 9? Keep deluding yourself.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSA(m): 9:15am On Aug 20, 2009
maedan:

Who are you to tell me if I know what a movie is Oh yes, I knew you'd reply sooner or later, I saw the thread you formed about how much the movie has achieved. How come it is the first, despite your claim that SA has a film industry, that is getting any accolades. If you can't see how crappy the movie is, then you're really full of crap yourself. Even huge blockbusters from Hollywood, like GI Joe and Transformers 3 got poor/critical reviews. Some people have taste and look beyond the big noise and see a movie for what it really is. And by the way, Nollywood to me has more to offer than the so-called SA movie industry. Who has ever heard of them anyway, before District 9? Keep deluding yourself.

This movie is on the world stage,where big players are at,crap or no crap it got a recognition from the best critics in the world.
So you don't know anything about SA movie before District 9? thats normal,I dont blame you.Personally I don't know anything about Nigerian movies,never seen one,except those bad shot homevideo on 114 dstv my mother in law love so much,cause its about witches grin I don't consider them movies,Imean anyone with a little camera could do those,I am talking about movies that are world standards,professional actors,directors,sound,lightings and all that it take to make a movie.

So please keep watching your own home video and leave movies to people who knows thier stories.Ciao princess.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 11:35am On Aug 20, 2009
RSA:

This movie is on the world stage,where big players are at,crap or no crap it got a recognition from the best critics in the world.
So you don't know anything about SA movie before District 9? thats normal,I dont blame you.Personally I don't know anything about Nigerian movies,never seen one,except those bad shot homevideo on 114 dstv my mother in law love so much,cause its about witches grin I don't consider them movies,Imean anyone with a little camera could do those,I am talking about movies that are world standards,professional actors,directors,sound,lightings and all that it take to make a movie.

So please keep watching your own home video and leave movies to people who knows thier stories.Ciao princess.

Thank you - and you too, please keep deluding yourself. A movie is more than a few special effects and a dry alien plot. I've had more fun watching the dumbest Nigerian home video than the best your RSA movie industry has to offer. At least your mother-in-law has some taste. World standard indeed. Dream on.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSA(m): 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2009
maedan:

Thank you - and you too, please keep deluding yourself. A movie is more than a few special effects and a dry alien plot. I've had more fun watching the dumbest Nigerian home video than the best your RSA movie industry has to offer. At least your mother-in-law has some taste. World standard indeed. Dream on.

How on earth someone watch the so called movie for six hours? grin I mean one movie take six hour,when someone sing a song or is listening to a song they play the whole danm song grin,five minutes of it. Anyone who finnish the whole thing must a wife of one broke madabrother grin.She's probably cant afford go shopping or something grin .You have to be out of your mind to watch that junk.Anyguy who find time to watch that crap he probably broke asss nigga or fraudster.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 2:34pm On Aug 20, 2009
RSA:

How on earth someone watch the so called movie for six hours? grin I mean one movie take six hour,when someone sing a song or is listening to a song they play the whole danm song grin,five minutes of it. Anyone who finnish the whole thing must a wife of one broke madabrother grin.She's probably cant afford go shopping or something grin .You have to be out of your mind to watch that junk.Anyguy who find time to watch that crap he probably broke asss nigga or fraudster.

eeeyaah, all this while I thought I was interacting with a human being, not knowing it's an slowpoke. Sorry o, let me leave you to your madness. All I know is, South Africans have always been jealous of Nigeria/Nigerians. We've beat them in sports, international affairs, and now entertainment. No vex eh, it's good to respect your betters. Rubbish. LOL

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 2:44pm On Aug 20, 2009
To be frank, the fact that you are even here on this Nigerian forum making a nuisance of yourself, is proof of all I've been saying. Or don't you have any entertaining and high-quality South African forums to inflict yourself upon? I still maintain I don't like that District 9 movie, even if I wasn't a Nigerian, I wouldn't see what the fuss is all about.

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSA(m): 3:03pm On Aug 20, 2009
maedan:

eeeyaah, all this while I thought I was interacting with a human being, not knowing it's an slowpoke. Sorry o, let me leave you to your madness. All I know is, South Africans have always been jealous of Nigeria/Nigerians. We've beat them in sports, international affairs, and now entertainment. No vex eh, it's good to respect your betters. Rubbish. LOL

Jealous of what?I think you're a joke princess,what sports?or you mean soccer? You must beat us in soccer cause we're not only a soccer nation,soccer is number 3 if not 2 in SA favourate sports.Do you know rugby,cricket,we are number one in the the Whole Wide  WORLD princess,thats dominance tongue.I cant remember other thing other than that,that Nigeria is better than SA at.You said you're better in international affairs,how by having a dying Pres?,we are member of G8+5,member of UN security council,Iam not talking about Africa here,Iam talking about powerfull councils in the Whole Wide World princess,and where is Nigeria there?
You say entertainment,I am sure you're talking about Nollyhood again,SA won Oscar with Tsotsi,Yesteryear was a nominee,Black Jerusalema was another nominee.what are you talking about?

Are you watching part three now? grin
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 3:14pm On Aug 20, 2009
Ok, well done, but I think it's time you carry your load to the racist and tribalism section cos this place is not for you. We were talking (by "we" I mean the other responsible people that have been on this topic), about how bad the movie was and why we didn't like it. Until u came barging in about how much the movie has achieved.

Once again, I say well done. I'm trying to figure out if you're a South African trying to be a Nigerian, or a Nigerian trying to be South African. I was bored with the movie three minutes into it, even before I saw that scene in the slums with the "Nigerians" trying to "cheat" the aliens. The so-called leader was even called "Obasanjo". Very funny.

But even without those slurs, I couldn't finish the movie. Drrrrryyy. Thanks to the special effects and the imported director, the movie has won fame. The same fame a dog would win if it started dancing calypso. Let me assure you though, that if the Nigerian movie industry had half the facilities their South african counterparts have, we would have been shoulder to shoulder with Hollywood by now, not licking crumbs from their table like your SA movie people are doing. tongue
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by dreamara(f): 4:30pm On Aug 20, 2009
RSA:

[/quote
Uh, excuse me, this is Nairaland, naira for nigeria and nigerians, not Randland for South Africans,okay?So I suggest you carry your kaya and vamoose from here! grin
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by MadMax1(f): 4:56pm On Aug 20, 2009
Who is this RSA dimwit? You exchanged your brains for crap at the South African stock exchange? A movie portrays Nigerians in an awful light and we're supposed to do what, take drums and dance with joy on the streets?We all know the reach and power of movies. Given the negative image a handful of bad eggs have given Nigeria, it's irresponsible for any filmmaker to portray them as savages. What's that to do with SA producing Totsi? I saw that movie, and it was gorgeous. So? Is it District 9? Was it not the same Hollywood that made Schindler's List that made Meet Dave and Disaster Movie? If SA made Totsie, does that elevate every piece of irresponsible, thoughtless, xenophobic crap out of south africa to cinematic art? Your own racist, AIDS-ridden, infant-raping culture doesn't have its own problems? Comot here! Donkey's ass.     
UP NIGERIA!

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by jeffoski(m): 10:12pm On Aug 20, 2009
rsa wat is ur problem.if u tink ur country is better or their movies pls leave this forum and this site totally.Open ur own and call it saland or sumtin u can't come here,talk rubbish and expect an ovation.Naija na wa o were una dey wey person dey talk non sense.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Easypizzy(f): 8:50am On Aug 21, 2009
Cool of now, why all the fuzz about which ever country movies? All are African countries. Dream about the United Countries of Africa where the so called Jollywood, CapeWood, Nollywood, ghanawood, tanzanwood or whatever wood will be replaced by africawood, how about that. I like the wood. Different films, culture, whatever.

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ThePhantom(m): 5:21pm On Aug 21, 2009
I watched the movie I thought it was good, but I really didn't like the idea of portraying Nigeria/Nigerians in the way they did. One of the point of the movie was discrimination against other people/beings, but by trying to make that point they discriminated against us. I wouldn't be surprised if SA asked the gangs to be portrayed as "Nigerian" instead of SA.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by davidif: 6:47pm On Aug 21, 2009

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!? YOU ARE CONTRADICTING YOURSELF. You said who shoots movies in South Africa anyway? Now you are saying that "there's a difference between shooting a movie in South Africa(as a location) and a movie from South Africa." Stop contradicting yourself man.
Did you ever hear about Tsotsi, the south african movie that won an academy award? What has our Nollywood movies ever accomplished, geez.

By the way, the director of the movie "district 9" is south african.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 12:17am On Aug 22, 2009
davidif:

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!? YOU ARE CONTRADICTING YOURSELF. You said who shoots movies in South Africa anyway? Now you are saying that "there's a difference between shooting a movie in South Africa(as a location) and a movie from South Africa." Stop contradicting yourself man.
Did you ever hear about Tsotsi, the south african movie that won an academy award? What has our Nollywood movies ever accomplished, geez.

By the way, the director of the movie "district 9" is south african.

Whatever. Contradiction or not, it's just a matter of semantics and I wish you'd get off my case. I'm quite sick of this topic but I don't mind repeating myself that the film was far from enjoyable. Big deal about the Totsi movie. I know I'll be opening myself up for insults if i say I never heard of it until lately. Anyway, good luck to the District 9 fans, I'm hearing there's going to be a sequel (District 10 tongue??) so I guess you all have a lot to look forward to.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by smokie(m): 6:10am On Aug 22, 2009
Big Up South Africa!!

And while we're at it, you guys need to check another good South African movie that came out earlier this year: White Wedding. It should be on DVD right now.

Sad I can't watch Nigerian home videos but they've cornered the low-end market in South Africa, so people are definitely watching. Just don't know how much of that money actually makes it way to the producers of these movies.

Now my wish is that we can see a Naija/South African co-production. There's still many good stories in both countries just waiting to get made into films, Boka Haram(sp?), xenophobia, natural resource conflict, love, politics, fantasy(not witchcraft) and the list is endless.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by davidif: 6:50am On Aug 22, 2009
smokie
you hit the message right on the head. There are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many stories waiting to be written, especially in a chaotic and highly spontaneous society like Nigeria. A day in Lagos is enough to become a hollywood hit.

I consider "City of god" the greatest movie ever made, the funny thing is that some people in naija actually live almost the same lifestyle portrayed in the movie. Why it hasn't been made into a movie yet shows incredible lack of creativity in that industry. But the funny thing is that naija movies are very popular in Africa is because they appeal to most africans better than most hollywood movies (how many Africans can relate to the movie "Crash" or how many care about Scarlett Johansson?). My roomate told me that when he went on a missionary trip to Uganda, the people in the village were watching naija movies even though some of the people could not even speak or understand English.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by mzansigirl(f): 1:49pm On Aug 23, 2009
hi all

i havent gotten to see district 9, so cant comment yet.

I think some nairalanders exaggerate the so called south african hate of nigerians, its actually not as bad as u think it is. many SAs like me interact and live with nigerians, i've even worked with some nigerian doctors at Baragwanath hospital without issues (just normal human relations).

Nollywood actually has a big support base among black SAs, my opinion is that black SAs buy more naija films than homemade ones (my cousins surely do).
Not every south african is xenophobic, and many south africans dont feel threatened by nigerians. I know i may get insulted and ridiculed for participating on thid forum (if i do get insulted, go ahead whatever makes u sleep better at night).

smokie, u might be interested to know that Izulu lami (my secret sky) is a south african film featuring child actors from kwazulu natal. the main actress in the film has just won a best acress award at the african film festival in spain. the film is brilliant people (and no, it does not ridicule nigerians; if anything it touches on the child rape problem that is a pandemic in SA).

www.guardian.co.uk/world/filmblog/2009/jul/21/south-african-premiere-film

Africa has a lot of stories to tell to the world, we would do better if we werent always trying to pull each other down
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by smokie(m): 2:25pm On Aug 23, 2009
@mzansigirl: Yes, I know about that movie and looking forward to seeing it.

The Nigerian gangs in the movie could've been Somalians, Zimbabweans, Mozambicans and there would still have been beef coming from Nigerians, so to say that Blomkamp's portrayal betrays a xenophobic angle is too simplistic. Basically, Nigerians(specifically Igbos) are not well regarded in South Africa and Blomkamp just uses this as a general reference to "outsiders" but like I said before, this could've been any group.

The question that Nigerians have to ask themselves is why many of them are not well regarded. I've dealt with many Nigerians living in SA and I've had mixed experiences but I won't go as far as to say that I can hate a people, hell, one of my professors at university was a Naijaman, a brilliant man but then you juxtapose that with some of the shady characters that perpetuate the bad image of Nigerians.

About xenophobia: I've you've trawled these boards long enough, you'll notice that Nigerians generally have a distorted view of reality. Most in fact have either never been to South Africa, have heard second-hand accounts of the country and thus base their conclusions on this. The same can be said of many South Africans. Only many don't care for, or about Nigeria- call it being insular or what but people could honestly not care.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by MadMax1(f): 5:46pm On Aug 23, 2009
smokie:

The Nigerian gangs in the movie could've been Somalians, Zimbabweans, Mozambicans and there would still have been beef coming from Nigerians, so to say that Blomkamp's portrayal betrays a xenophobic angle is too simplistic. Basically, Nigerians(specifically Igbos) are not well regarded in South Africa and Blomkamp just uses this as a general reference to "outsiders" but like I said before, this could've been any group.

Sheer nonsense, that remark. If a country's nationals are portrayed in a bad light n a movie, it's the norm  for its government and its citizens to protest it. And they do protest; from Russia to Asia to Eastern Europe. A storm of protest greeted BORAT from the offended country, funny as hell as ithat movie was. But since it's sub-human Nigerians that are concerned, they cannot protest. They must shut up and take it, no?

And if they could have been Somalians,Zimbabweans,Mozambicans, why weren't they? They're in SA's orbit and it would've made more sense. Why tap into the general current of Hate All Things Nigerian to depict them, in a Peter Jackson movie no less, unflatteringly? Denying SA is a xenophobic country is like saying it doesn't have an AIDS problem; not worth arguing about. You yourself can barely disguise your own lack of enthusiasm for Nigerians. There are always 'reasons' and 'justifications' for every evil, including xenophobia: "Nigerians should ask themselves why they aren't well regarded", as if criminals aren't in every culture, as if your country isn't bursting at the seams with despicable people and despicable acts. If a person's so crass as to judge an entire country but the actions of a few, twell, that says plenty.

Other than that, I've heard great things about the movie, and the lead performance. Some friends have seen it and give it a five-star rating. I'm going to see it this week myself, and I know I'm going to have a good time.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by smokie(m): 7:08pm On Aug 23, 2009
@Mad_Max: Generally speakin we can laugh at most issues. Our President dances and says silly things on tv, we make fun of him, he's supporters get angry but no-one is ever disappears or is threatened with death.Most South Africans who watch the movie will be able to see it for what it is: a satire on what's happening in the world. That's why I mentioned those other nationals. Nigerians are not the only people who are victims of xenophobia, if you guys held a competition with Zimbabweans you'd come a distant THIRD.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Eniola Badmus 'Ghetto Bred' Premiere (Photos) / Official Thread For Gotham Series / #bbnaija: I Have A Beautiful Relationship Outside The House - Cee-c

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.