Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,880 members, 7,802,845 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" - TV/Movies (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" (20312 Views)

District 9 Video? / Time Magazine's Depiction Of Nollywood / District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by eldee(m): 1:54am On Sep 20, 2009
Allta:

Just saw this movie, man I don't know what to say. A good movie on one hand, and a terrible one on another.

Let me explain , if it were to be another country that was stereotyped, I wouldn't have issue, but then, that's making me selfish of loyalty to my fatherland.

At the end of the day, a movie is what it is , fantasy, suppose to be entertaining and boy, it could have been if the Nigerian element was substituted for another country.

BTW, why didn't they shoot it in Naija self, why stereotype Nigerian thugs on a SouthAfrican Soil? That's the bit that doesn't make perfect sense in the movie for me.

Overall, there is no reason why Naija govt should ban Silverbird from showing it, it's not that bad now, thought we're the humour capital of Africa.

Are you bleeping having a laugh??
That movie is the worst attempt at Sci-fi since Boolywood tried it

The poeple that went to see the movie in the same Odeon left halfway into the movie, they're Brits.
If you ask 100 people bout the movie,District 9, 99 would say it was crap, the 100th person would be the director.
Even the lead actor knows how crap the film is.

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Gamine(f): 4:16am On Sep 20, 2009
@topic,

Being made fun of in an ad, or having a bad depiction in a movie,

is a fantastic opportunity for us to make the case that these things are fictitious.

Or at the very least, that they are moving away from the truth behind these depiction.

Instead, the FG are busy drawing attention to Nigeria by being upset by these depiction,

which makes everyone think that they must be true.

We are shooting ourself in the foot, and opening Nigeria to ridicule.

Seriously, other countries have to deal with depictions which are far worse.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Nobody: 6:31am On Sep 20, 2009
The poeple that went to see the movie in the same Odeon left halfway into the movie, they're Brits.
If you ask 100 people bout the movie,District 9, 99 would say it was crap, the 100th person would be the director.
Even the lead actor knows how crap the film is.

according to some Nigerians, its the best thing since sliced bread.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by peachie(f): 7:56pm On Sep 21, 2009
angryIts funny how everyone is ranting about this issue! If nigerians are truly the way we were depicted in the film then God help us. I know its hardly the case, so why make a fuss. There are always 'jokes' about all nationalities, 'a dark side', C'mon how many times have pple asked me (in london o) about monkeys jumping about in our backyards in africa or if we practice voodoo etc. So i speak for MYSELF when i say i was'nt offended at all and i enjoyed the film. Chill out people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by kbone(m): 11:57am On Sep 23, 2009
I have seen District 9 and i think its not a fantastic movie; just barely average. However I must say that the highest points in the movie had to do with the Nigerians and the bleeping cripple called obasanjo as their leader; now thats classic!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by yoruba: 12:08pm On Sep 23, 2009
I have not seen the movie, but I read some of the reviews on the internet and the movie got a lot of good reviews.
Some even say that this movie was the best Sci-fi movie this year and is currently sitting @ no.2 in the American box office and no.1 in the UK.
From a 30million$ budget movie, its now on the way of receiving more than 100million$ profit in the US alone.
(see international reviews)
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by rhymz(m): 9:46am On Sep 26, 2009
@RSA and Smokie and Zulu,since we are in the mood to put down eachother's countries let's start with the movies,first and foremost,District 9 is not even a wholly RSA movie,who dash monkey banana,hardly is there any SA movie that's wholly southafrican,even the whites there that somehow manage to do an averagely good movie don't see themselves as SAfricans let alone africans,why should they anyway,they re realy not africans just european reps and proxies protecting thier native country's interest.Until I see a wholly SAcan movie with real SAcans from producerz,directors,actors to the technical crew then shut the hell up, U aint got shit to say abt Nigerian film industry because in reality,they re wholly Nigerian/African films,that's why Ur illiterate grannies can relate with it and Ur educated white gay ass masters foam in the mouth at the mere thought of it's penetration inspite of thier American sponsored abstract movies that tell white ppl stories.Truth is,most of the times when I see a SA a movie it usually comes across as a hollywood wanna-be,just thrillz,sound and technology with actors that can hardly be called Africans.Maybe U don't know,At the world stage if U want to talk abt africa's development in movie making and entertainment,Nigeria and Ghana will come up first,SA won't even come a distant 3rd cos thier movie industry is anything but African.Abi na for music,U don't want me to go there,I know!Nigerians are very good at what they do,we don't need a white man's approval to take entertainment in Africa to the Next level,with the right funding,I can bet my ishi zik that Nigeria will do a better job than the try-hard to look like hollywood movies U churn out.The next time U re goina talk shit abt Nigeria,talk with facts,stay tuned while we talk abt Ur white dominated Economy in my next post,shitbreaks!

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by rhymz(m): 11:46am On Sep 26, 2009
@RSA and Smokie and Zulu,now let's talk abt the realities in SA,I am going to start with Ur next door neighbor,Zimbabwe,back before the government had a confrontation with thier colonial Masters,Zimbabwe,which is also a rainbow country used to be like Ur SA until Mugabe decided to redistribute lands which the white inherited 4rm the apartheid regime and gave it to the black freedom fighters,he further questioned the dominance of the Whites in the agricultural sector and other sectors of the economy then all hell broke loose,the europeans showed the government who the real boss was,they made sure foreign direct investment came to a halting stop,developed a propaganda machine against the FG of zimbabwe,stopped every foreign aid to that country,even lobbied other countries to cut ties with them and there was capital flight from that country,2day that country is in the doldrums,financial sector is a joke,the economy is in comatose,U of inflation rates that run upto a hundred millions, all becoz they won't accept the post colonial status quo which was not different from the colonial dayz.When I see SAfricans make silly claims,I just say to myself what's the use,if 80% of SA economy is controlled by the minority white,if 2moro these white guyz are pissed,there can always be a way to tame U guyz by thier non participation and withdrawal of thier investments in SA,how many real(black) SAfricans live in the good areas of SA,a majority of them live in squalid townships where 80% of the crimes in SA actually happen,an average black SA is illiterate,criminally minded and xenophobic,the rate of violent crimes in SA is the highest and most of them are xenophobic in nature,many of the SA that stay in those townships are worse than the Nigerian fraudsters,these ppl kill at the slightest provocation,2yrz ago one of my Uncles was killed in SA,reason being that nigerians were selling their wares cheaper and were making them lose customers,losers that can't stand competitive wits.Rape to them,especially young underage girls is a way of getting rid of HIV,bunch of paedos,no wonder they have the worst rate of the virus when even thier president showed an example of that believe.Before U ppl open Ur mouth and curse Naija solve Ur unending problems,don't foam in the mouth at Naija,ask for answers from Ur slave masterz,afterall,to U all they are Ur messiahs without them U guyz are minced meat.Watha Bleep!
@All,that guy Shesi,is ghanaian disguising to be a nigerian,I ve had confrotations with the bastard in a thread where he and his Ghanaian crooks tried to bash Naija,I shut him up and he fled,there a lot of them here on NL.

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by oseiwe(m): 2:51pm On Sep 26, 2009
I learnt no Nigerian acted in the film but we don just suffer for SONY hand. Them again? If I be Obasanjo, I go sue dem for making me the leader of cannibals angry
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by rhymz(m): 5:23am On Sep 27, 2009
@Oseiwe,not even one of black bunch in that movies all southafrican of xhosa origin.What an insult!And to think that we ve Nigerians or maybe they re not,adding insult to injury dey even scatter my dada.Many ppl lack perspective in the way they argue,Dora don turn to God wey go solve all the nigerian wahala b4 she go do her job as info minister,even if U hate the woman,do U ve to condemn her for doing a good job.I tire for all these loserz,Nigeria dis,Nigeria that,Ngwanu do U own,Mbannu!They just want to condemn.Abeg!U guyz should either shape up or ship out!

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by rhymz(m): 5:25am On Sep 27, 2009
@Oseiwe,not even one of the black bunch in that movie is nigerian,they are all southafricans of xhosa origin.What an insult!And to think that we ve Nigerians or maybe they re not,adding insult to injury dey even scatter my dada.Many ppl lack perspectives in the way they argue,Dora don turn to God wey go solve all the nigerian wahala b4 she go do her job as info minister,even if U hate the woman,do U ve to condemn her for doing a good job.I tire for all these loserz,Nigeria dis,Nigeria that,Ngwanu do U own,Mbannu!They just want to condemn.Abeg!U guyz should either shape up or ship out!

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by eldee(m): 9:46am On Sep 30, 2009
tpia.:

according to some Nigerians, its the best thing since sliced bread.

Hmmn . . . maybe I'm the one with the crap taste then
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by yoruba: 9:53am On Sep 30, 2009
eldee:

Hmmn . . . maybe I'm the one with the crap taste then

Hmmm. . . . and the movie made international success.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by eldee(m): 10:23am On Sep 30, 2009
yoruba:

Hmmm. . . . and the movie made international success.

That's the problem . . . I don't base my judgement on what the masses think.

The movie targeted the right audience . . . middle-aged, white people that have no previous experience of xenophobia and haven't seen any sci-fi movies.
57% of the audience was 25 or older(usually 35-60) . . . these are the same people that think The Duchess is the best movie ever.
Unfortunately, I happen to be below 25 and Nigerian, xenophobia doesn't shock me and I've played Halo before . . . so it looks too ordinary to me.

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by yoruba: 10:30am On Sep 30, 2009
@Eldee
Is there any bad portrayal of Nigerians in the game Halo? I believe it was by Niel Blomkamp(the director of District 9)
I have not played the game. (Besides I dont play games)

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by eldee(m): 10:37am On Sep 30, 2009
yoruba:

@Eldee
Is there any bad portrayal of Nigerians in the game Halo? I believe it was by Niel Blomkamp(the director of District 9)
I have not played the game. (Besides I dont play games)

Nah . . . it's just the fact that it's sci-fi too.
People that claim the storyline and graphics were perfect need to play Halo
And that's the thing, when you've seen Halo's aliens, District 9's prawns can't impress you grin grin
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by icezik1(m): 8:54pm On Nov 29, 2009
How can you even compare Halo to District 9?
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Seun(m): 12:42pm On Dec 03, 2009
District 9 is the best movie I had the pleasure of watching this year. 

I wasn't offended by the portrayal of Nigerians; it was quite realistic:
If there was a scam going on against aliens, Nigerians would be there!
Also, they didn't say all Nigerians are bad, just the ones in District 9.

Did they really have to name the gang leader "Obasanjo", though?
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by BSD: 3:20pm On Dec 03, 2009
It was a fictitious movie. No one should be offended.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by eldee(m): 8:19pm On Dec 03, 2009
ice_zik:

How can you even compare Halo to District 9?

Well . . . I had to, especially when people started screaming bout the concept and errfin.
They've prolly not seen aliens in that form before now.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by 190: 10:19pm On Dec 03, 2009
Seun:

seun pls i need your help~
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by waleski(m): 10:34pm On Dec 04, 2009
so this thread is still on people shuld 4get abt it already the hype abt ti is down undecided
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Nobody: 1:13am On Dec 07, 2009
Seun:

Our nationality should not be taken for granted cos of a few bad eggs. Its gone far enough already!

1 Like

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Mobinga: 12:29pm On Mar 09, 2012
. . . .
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by stevenemin: 10:58pm On Nov 05, 2012
Easypizzy: Cool of now, why all the fuzz about which ever country movies? All are African countries. Dream about the United Countries of Africa where the so called Jollywood, CapeWood, Nollywood, ghanawood, tanzanwood or whatever wood will be replaced by africawood, how about that. I like the wood. Different films, culture, whatever.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSAMAN(m): 8:01am On Oct 23, 2013
maedan:

Thank you - and you too, please keep deluding yourself. A movie is more than a few special effects and a dry alien plot. I've had more fun watching the dumbest Nigerian home video than the best your RSA movie industry has to offer. At least your mother-in-law has some taste. World standard indeed. Dream on.

Your replies seem to be full of anger or hate. It's either you're angry because nigerians were depicted in a horrendous way in the movie or you simply hate south africans and everything south african. Okay take the effects out of the movie and you will still have the picture and audio quality, storyline and acting which are better than any nigerian movie i have ever seen. I'm not trying to insult or cause a stir but the acting in nigerian movies is horrible, they tend to act the same way and never embrace the character, the storylines are terrible and are the same old, same old prince wants to marry a village girl but his family won't approve, sounds like a soap opera to me. Why are they even movies? If district 9 is a terrible movie then it's just that, a bad movie but nollywood should be making soapies instead. I'm not hating on nigeria and if they're movies were great i would admit just as i admit they're good in soccer. they're movies are just terrible. Sad but true.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSAMAN(m): 8:51am On Oct 23, 2013
maedan: I'm not sure they were Nigerians, it could have been anyone, probably South Africans. But how would they feel if in Nigeria we did a movie where we painted South Africans as racists, rapists and AIDS-infested or what ever else they're notorious for? I just think it's part of the Naija-hate that S.A. is guilty of.

Proves my point.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSAMAN(m): 8:55am On Oct 23, 2013
maedan:

To be frank, the fact that you are even here on this Nigerian forum making a nuisance of yourself, is proof of all I've been saying. Or don't you have any entertaining and high-quality South African forums to inflict yourself upon? I still maintain I don't like that District 9 movie, even if I wasn't a Nigerian, I wouldn't see what the fuss is all about.

What a foolish thing to say.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSAMAN(m): 8:58am On Oct 23, 2013
maedan:

Who are you to tell me if I know what a movie is Oh yes, I knew you'd reply sooner or later, I saw the thread you formed about how much the movie has achieved. How come it is the first, despite your claim that SA has a film industry, that is getting any accolades. If you can't see how crappy the movie is, then you're really full of crap yourself. Even huge blockbusters from Hollywood, like GI Joe and Transformers 3 got poor/critical reviews. Some people have taste and look beyond the big noise and see a movie for what it really is. And by the way, Nollywood to me has more to offer than the so-called SA movie industry. Who has ever heard of them anyway, before District 9? Keep deluding yourself.

It's quite clear you're unfamiliar with south african cinema.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Eniola Badmus 'Ghetto Bred' Premiere (Photos) / Official Thread For Gotham Series / #bbnaija: I Have A Beautiful Relationship Outside The House - Cee-c

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.