Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,133 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" - TV/Movies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" (20332 Views)

District 9 Video? / Time Magazine's Depiction Of Nollywood / District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by smokie(m): 10:49pm On Aug 30, 2009
@the viper: Amen!!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by manny4life(m): 12:12am On Aug 31, 2009
asha 80:

[/b]

in what?

duh isn't it obvious, in almost everything.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by yoruba: 7:16am On Aug 31, 2009
And about infrastructure you are boasting of they were mostly built by the deposed apartheid only a few were post apartheid
You dont live in SA, among other things South Africa has the largest construction industry in all of Africa, and Sandton City(Northern suburb outside of Joburg) is one of the most fastest growing city in the world. And post apartheid, Joburg grew to become the 18th largest city by land area.
thing goes for south africa who were eager to please and thank fellow africans for the help they were given during the aparthied time.add that to the big corruption in south africa
Hmmm, need I remind that South Africa is the 3rd least corrupt country in africa and 55th in the world(Italy lies at no. 56) and need I remind you nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the world
why didn't them make movies about notorious armed robbers in south africa any one visiting south africa without strong enough security is bound to be robbed at gunpoint south africa is an AIDS
There are countless movies about AIDS crime in South Africa
let me repeat that:
There are countless movies about AIDS crime in South Africa
i.e Jerusalema, Tsotsi, Yesterday etc.
Directed and produced in South Africa.
Infact most of South African movies are about crime and AIDS
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by theviper1: 12:08pm On Aug 31, 2009
@yoruba,i dont need a lesson from u about the extent of corruption in sa.i lived there and i know what i saw.i dont make assumptions or how do you think that the passports that i talked about got into the wrong hands.(maybe they were xmas presents from Mandela and Mbeki).south africans doesnt need u to help them in stating what is and what is not.i really doubt if u are not a Ghanaian like @zulus and @rsa who hide behind computer screens and bad-mouth nigeria out of envy and jealousy,cos no real south african will call nigerians loud. it is sympathizers like you who cry more than the bereaved.anyone who is saying anything negative about infrastructures in sa doesnt know there.end of topic.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by yoruba: 12:38pm On Aug 31, 2009
@the viper
Yes, I thoroughly understand what you saying and in terms of corruption it is every in the world(Even in Ghana, SA and Botswana) I was just stating a fact.

Overall, all countries has problems and I don't think its fair that the movie singled out a particular country and depict a bad portrayal of it.
In South Africa, crime is a major problem, and so has Nigeria has its own problems. Criticizing each other wouldn't help anyone but if we get ourselves properly educated with regards to our fellow African country maybe Nigerians might give solutions to South Africa's problems and South Africans might have solutions to Nigeria's problems. One thing is for sure is South Africans arent jealous of Nigerians and the same vice versa.
This thread is become a war between two countries and there wont be a winner!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by theviper1: 12:58pm On Aug 31, 2009
IT turned into a war btw sa and nigeria cos some imposters (whom am sure are ghanaians) hijacked the forum and was causing some problems among nigerians and sa.from all my post,u could see that what u said now is what i have been saying all along.from indication,i can see that u live in sa or lived there and it is difficult if not impossible for a south african to call nigerians loud.that language belongs to the ghanians who are envious and jealous and that accounts for why many of them are olopa informants whereever they are.the directors or the writers of the film directly using the name "nigeria" was in bad taste and shows lack of respect and regard for us as a country.the least that the directors of the film can do is to offer us an unreserved apology.or is that too hard a demand to make?
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by yoruba: 1:06pm On Aug 31, 2009
Hmmm,  I am with you on that one 100% with regards to the movie and I bet all Africans (black africans outside of SA) would feel the same. Infact I believe although the movie was successful, it shouldnt come at the expense of another country(Hope South Africans understands my point)
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Feraz(m): 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2009
"Olopa informants"
i laff in tongues grin grin grin
It's obvious many people dnt lyk 9gerians. Let's leave dem 2 their hatred aite
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by morpheus24: 2:58pm On Aug 31, 2009
STOP THE MADNESS!!!

DAMN HOW MANY NAIJA VS SA FIGHT ARE WE GOING TO HAVE. DAMN ITS GETTING REALLY RIDICULOUS.

LETS SETTLE THIS AT THE WORLD CUP DON'T YOU THINK.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by papabaks(m): 4:36pm On Sep 01, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_9 Angry

If you really read this story, we will all agree that this is a GROSS MISSCONDUCT, and a slap on we nigerians, to the extend of using our former president name in diguise"obesanjo"

This is rubbish,

DO HAVE HUMAN RIGHT ACTIVIST IN THIS COUNTRY AT ALL
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by theviper1: 10:28pm On Sep 01, 2009
the best we can do is to forget this thread and move on.we only have to advise our fellow africans to wake up and open their eyes to the fact that some white pple with hidden agenda are using them against nigeria/s.as for the ghanaian imposters here,u can see that the moment i exposed them for the fraud that they are,they took off.those bunch of lazy-9ija-haters.they have no balls that is why they have to use names like zulus and rsa to forment trouble btw nigerians and south africans. that is their ways.cos of laziness,they will resort to informing against others including their ghanain brothers.fucking bastards.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by morpheus24: 2:35pm On Sep 02, 2009
the viper:

the best we can do is to forget this thread and move on.we only have to advise our fellow africans to wake up and open their eyes to the fact that some white pple with hidden agenda are using them against nigeria/s.as for the ghanaian imposters here,u can see that the moment i exposed them for the fraud that they are,they took off.those bunch of lazy-9ija-haters.they have no balls that is why they have to use names like zulus and rsa to forment trouble btw nigerians and south africans. that is their ways.cos of laziness,they will resort to informing against others including their ghanain brothers.fucking bastards.

RSA is a true South African I can vouch for that one. im no be Ghana boy o!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by RSA(m): 12:00pm On Sep 04, 2009
morpheus24:

RSA is a true South African I can vouch for that one. im no be Ghana boy o!

How did you know Mr Mo?is it because of my bad english? grin grin grin

Anyway why people are not making noise about Jacob Cross?,it is created by South Africans and have local actors acting Naija pips role,or is because it's about a wealthy Ngerian family? some one could sit here and scream murder because that's not the true reflection of Naijaa family.

District 9 is just a movie,stupid movie that will be forgotten as soon as it leave the box office.So why make noise.

I am not gonna go to comparing our two countries that debate is soo unoriginal and old.And I'v learned that Naijja-SA beef is not about jelousy or hatred is about respect and power.That's all I'm willing to say.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by dreamara(f): 6:55pm On Sep 04, 2009
You people are here complaining about Nigeria n SA beef, check out youtube and see another dehumanizing (i hope I spelt it well )insult given to Nigeria once again, and gues who the culprits are this time?SONY!Sony o, my bros and sistas, wonders shall never end. We Nigerians have buying this stupid company's products since technology was created and now that they've made money they have the guts to abuse us in their adverts. It's not their fault o!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by shay77: 3:49pm On Sep 05, 2009
Hello Everybody,

I live in the US and was just told about this website and i have honestly been very SAD to read about whats going on between my African brothers and sisters.I am African -American and i will like to say that i know a lot of Nigerians in Chicago over here doing very well in professional establishments and i most also say that Ghanaians are also not doing bad.I also know a south African couple The Chokoes and they are wonderful people too and Oprah has also brought the knowledge of South African to Americans in general so i can imagine what everyone is talking about but an observation over here is there is no Hospital in Chicago that you will not see a Nigerian doctor and just recently in a survey i was shown by a friend, Nigerians were said to be the most educated immigrants in the US and i as an AA was proud of that.And the fact that the US Military is producing the Humvee used in Iraq and Afghanistan in South African was a good news to me.And again, my best beer Miller Draft is now owned by a South African company?, peps,, we have a lot to celebrate sometimes.

Now to stereotypes,, There is a bill going on in the Illinois senate over here by an Italian American senator who feels the stereotypes of Italians as mobsters is hurting the Italian family image and i know most of us will agree that left to Hollywood, the gangster movies of the 80's and 90's will not stop.Mexicans over here have always been stereotyped as uneducated and please don't let me start about the stereotypes that Africans have about we African Americans over here. And for me to start mentioning the achievements of AA's to the American story be it in culture,academics,science,sport,medicine or whatever will be to simplistic. We have too much to do and there is no time to fight amongst each other so lets get it together so we are not left behind peps.

So, i sincerely hope to see some replies and will respond accordingly, so for now as we say over here, "can we all just get along"smiley
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by MrWest1: 3:24pm On Sep 07, 2009
shay77:

Hello Everybody,

I live in the US and was just told about this website and i have honestly been very SAD to read about whats going on between my African brothers and sisters.I am African -American and i will like to say that i know a lot of Nigerians in Chicago over here doing very well in professional establishments and i most also say that Ghanaians are also not doing bad.I also know a south  African couple The Chokoes and they are wonderful people too and Oprah has also brought the knowledge of South African to Americans in general so i can imagine what everyone is talking about  but an observation  over here is there is no Hospital in Chicago that you will not see a Nigerian doctor and just recently in a survey i was shown by a friend, Nigerians were said to be the most educated immigrants in the US and i as an AA was proud of that.And the fact that the US Military is producing the Humvee used in Iraq and Afghanistan in South African was a good news to me.And again, my best beer Miller Draft is now owned by a South African company?, peps,, we have a lot to celebrate sometimes.

Now to stereotypes,, There is a bill going on in the Illinois senate over here by an Italian American senator who feels the stereotypes of Italians as mobsters is hurting the Italian family image and i know most of us will agree that left to Hollywood, the gangster movies of the 80's and 90's will not stop.Mexicans over here  have always been stereotyped as uneducated and please don't let me start about the stereotypes that Africans have about we African Americans over here. And for me to start mentioning the achievements of AA's to the American story be it in culture,academics,science,sport,medicine or whatever will be to simplistic. We have too much to do  and there is no time to fight amongst each other so lets get it together so we are not left behind peps.

So, i sincerely hope to see some replies and will respond accordingly, so for now as we say over here, "can we all just get along"smiley

Well said my broda,  well said shocked
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by diamen1st: 4:46pm On Sep 08, 2009
Ridiculous, for heavens sake why were nigerians even mentioned, its a south african film, why didnt they use the south africans proper for that role (because they know they would be hell to pay) so went the safe route and got nigerians, Common sex with aliens that looked like giant crikets and eating them too. please. I saw the movie but that really ruined it for me,So what does it say for girls and women of nigeria watching the movie. its funny to me how i heard the name nigeria mentioned and they showed this evil connotation on screen. We all know we have our problems but we dont need to take crap from other people.Its funny also becos some people dont see it for what it really is.RACIST, like we dont have white people perveted to sexual behavior or canabalism. please.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by morpheus24: 10:16pm On Sep 09, 2009
RSA:

How did you know Mr Mo?is it because of my bad english? grin grin grin

Anyway why people are not making noise about Jacob Cross?,it is created by South Africans and have local actors acting Naija pips role,or is because it's about a wealthy Ngerian family? some one could sit here and scream murder because that's not the true reflection of Naijaa family.

District 9 is just a movie,stupid movie that will be forgotten as soon as it leave the box office.So why make noise.

I am not gonna go to comparing our two countries that debate is soo unoriginal and old.And I'v learned that Naijja-SA beef is not about jelousy or hatred is about respect and power.That's all I'm willing to say.

There a lot of Naija's acting on jacobs cross, very few SA can pull of the Naija accent.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by alias64: 3:11am On Sep 10, 2009
soloqy

My points exactly. It just had to be Nigeria. Like I said earlier, when everyone is seeing us in a bad light, then its time to look inwards.

Again:

soloqy
Would also like to know the bad depiction in Phat girls.I believe thats what Seun was trying to ask.

The question is, why Nigeria if there is nothing terribly wrong. The list goes on:

Season 4 of Lost. It was Nigerian drug smugglers pretending to be priests, who crashed with their plane filled with drugs on the Island. And of course, Mr Eko who was depicted as a murderous drug peddler who later repented.

Things aren’t always that simple. Remember more people used to see the Jews in worst light and in the end, the only people forced to look inwards were the Germans.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by morpheus24: 4:00pm On Sep 10, 2009
morpheus24:

STOP THE MADNESS!!!

DAMN HOW MANY NAIJA VS SA FIGHT ARE WE GOING TO HAVE. DAMN ITS GETTING REALLY RIDICULOUS.

LETS SETTLE THIS AT THE WORLD CUP DON'T YOU THINK.

EH I withdraw the earlier above statement it looks like we are not going to settle this at te World cup . Chei!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Gcares(m): 6:42pm On Sep 10, 2009
i don't blame them for that hate trash called a movie. i blame those we call leaders who allow a country of gangsters and baby violators to bad-mouth us nigerians who strive to earn an honest living under the sun.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 11:39pm On Sep 10, 2009
@ diamen1st, your post has renewed my vexation with this stupid movie. Other films have mentioned Nigerians in a few unfavourable scenes. We let that slide. (I think an example is the Wolverine Origins movie.) But I mean, to make us a focus of a flipping scourge of a race, plaguing on aliens - that is grossly insulting. S.A. have displayed total disrespect for Nigerians and their feelings. Or did they actually think we'd find it funny? Losers!!!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Tats(m): 3:44pm On Sep 13, 2009
I just watched the movie in a Cinema in the U.S and almost passed out on my seat. Imagine that they said the Nigerians in District 9 were involved in Cat food scam, were prostitutes, dealt in Weapons, cut and ate Alien parts hoping to have their strength, e.t.c. District 9 is a slum for aliens & humans and the Aliens eat Cat Food which the Nigerians sell to them and collect their weapons.

The South Africans would not potray themselves as above and decided to use "Nigerians" instead. This film makes the Sony playstation advert a child's play and totally destroys the image of Nigerians and Nigeria in the eyes of the world. I am completely dissapointed in those South Africans involved in this movie and can't believe I paid to watch my country's image destroyed globally!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 13, 2009
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by zenus(m): 7:24pm On Sep 14, 2009
'Common sex with aliens'
is this what outsiders think about Nigeria? Y don't they mention other war countries.

This ppl need to be sue
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by saraj(f): 5:40pm On Sep 18, 2009
Nigerians f**k extra terrestrials shocked
You learn something new everyday.

Going by all the comments posted here
I assume its a true story. lipsrsealed

We should not take it so seriously.
Every culture and race has been shown in
a bad light in  movies throughout the years.
A sci fi movie that has been taken so seriously
by Nigerians just goes to show that we are too
sensitive and lack a sense of humour(something
we were never renowned for).
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by eldee(m): 9:07pm On Sep 18, 2009
Has anyone actually seen the movie??
I seriously don't know how to describe the feeling of pain, boredom, annoyance and disappointment I felt.

I went to see the movie today, out of 20 people that got tickets, only four of us stayed till the end.
It lacked focus, direction, action, common sense or even a storyline.
You know how you watch sum movies and predict the end?? I was praying fr the end to come.

I have no beef with films from SA, come on, everyone loved Sarafina, but this was just really bad.
Forget the unintelligent portrayal of Nigerians, who chose that dumbass as a lead actor??
Why does the writer try to fit four movies into one?? All I saw was many science fiction movies bundled together. . .

Come on . . . 1 million daft canibalistic aliens . . . and then theres one that can make a bomb with scrap metal??
The alien man bleeds black but real aliens bleed red?? Are your science lecturers on strike with the stadium builders??

This is a waste of money . . . I'm thinking of suing CNN for misleading me. cheesy cheesy
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by eldee(m): 9:11pm On Sep 18, 2009
sara j:

Nigerians f**k extra terrestrials shocked
Nigerians had sex with the extraterrestrials, and it was on the news
But when the Government said the growth of the mutant arm came from 'sexual intercourse with prawns' the South Africans believed
Are they also trying to portray South Africans as stupid people that lack the ability to think for themselves?? Cus they're doing a really good job with that.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Allta(m): 1:20am On Sep 19, 2009
Just saw this movie, man I don't know what to say. A good movie on one hand, and a terrible one on another.

Let me explain , if it were to be another country that was stereotyped, I wouldn't have issue, but then, that's making me selfish of loyalty to my fatherland.

At the end of the day, a movie is what it is , fantasy, suppose to be entertaining and boy, it could have been if the Nigerian element was substituted for another country.

BTW, why didn't they shoot it in Naija self, why stereotype Nigerian thugs on a SouthAfrican Soil? That's the bit that doesn't make perfect sense in the movie for me.

Overall, there is no reason why Naija govt should ban Silverbird from showing it, it's not that bad now, thought we're the humour capital of Africa.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by saraj(f): 2:49am On Sep 19, 2009
I have just seen the movie too.

Peter Jackson certainly has a wild imagination.

However, you cannot knock the man,
it was a great movie.
I do not think he meant to offend Nigerians.he just showed
that the Nigerians are smart and that, if ETs were to arrive,
(considering if they were far more advanced) that nigerians would
exploit them and use them.

Weren't the Oyinbos
etc. more scared shitless of the
aliens however the Naijas were one step up above the aliens.

Peter jackson ain't a fool. He knows nigerians are very clever.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by saraj(f): 3:10am On Sep 19, 2009
I really do think that something like
this should happen. It would only bring
the human race together, i.e( Blacks
and Whites sticking up for eachother).
The movie really reminded me how ignorant
humans are( i.e racism, culterism etc)
Imagine if a completely different species
appeared??

The moral of the film is that we
should all unite.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ayusco: 9:52am On Sep 19, 2009
havn't seen the movie but if its true were potrayed as being alleged then i understand all the up roar, the movie might be great storywise but if you show people in bad light (in this case nigerians) then it indicates lack of respect, c'mon why didn't use ghanaians or zimbaweans or SA pips to potray gangsters angry. or name the gang leader mandela or koffi annan? they should just stop taking the piss out of us

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

BBNaija: Princess Francis Debunks Car Gift Reports / BBTitans: Sandra And Olivia Fight (Video) / Official Thread For Gotham Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.