Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,933 members, 7,806,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal (27653 Views)

Lee Maeba Slams Ibe Kachikwu Over Baru / Buhari To Probe Ibe Kachikwu Over Oil Swap Deals / For Slapping Onyemachi Mrukpor, Reps Summons CG Prisons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by excess4luv: 5:54pm On May 16, 2016
Anyone who fought subsidy removal in 2012 and supports its removal now is a hypocrisy. 2012 we had a working economy, there were jobs, oil price was good, Niger Delta militancy was at bare minimal, robbery and kidnapping was low, ritual killings was as pronounced, fees and rents were low, forex business was good, dollar to naira exchange rate was $1=#148, excess crude account was good, in fact Nigerians were living fine, yet Opposition and power hungry Nigerians betrayed that beautiful move.

Nigerians will one day give kudos to whom it belongs to (GEJ).

This government still has not seen what Jonathan saw in 2012, by 2019 Nigerians will discover that APC has got no new idea different from all they fought against.

I pray things get better but WHEN??

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by saltoftheearth: 6:03pm On May 16, 2016
Must states rely on allocation from federal government to pay salaries? This rep, Gbajabiamila is a joker. So their argument is to push the weight States are dreading on Nigerians instead? They better carry their burdens? State governments should wake up and seek ways of generating revenue internally with new ideas and strategies. APC should stop all this propaganda. Reverse back to 86:50 and lets see what happens in 2 months. Nigeria will not collapse. Laziness is what is killing our senators, state governors and politicians. They should stop depending on the center and crude oil for survival. They keep given examples of countries that have successfully deregulated. HOW MANY OF THESE COUNTRIES HAVE THE POOR POWER SITUATION WE HAVE IN NIGERIA. This government should get one thing right first before considering the next.
DExplorer1:

The House of Representatives has cut short its resumption of plenary by one day — from Tuesday to Monday (today) — to take a position on the issue of the removal of the subsidy on petrol by the Federal Government.

The House summoned the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, on Sunday, to appear today and explain why the government jacked up the pump price of petrol to N145 from N86.50k.

The minister is to address lawmakers at the session to be presided over by the Speaker, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, beginning by 12pm.

Dogara had on Friday last week, hinted that members would debate the fuel price increase this week and take a position on the new price regime.

He spoke in Abuja while granting audience to a delegation from the National Council of Ulamas of the Jamatu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa Iqamatis Sunnah at the National Assembly.

Dogara had stated that the House would not support any policy that would “further impoverish” Nigerians, but clarified that the final decision would be taken by all the 360 lawmakers this week.

He said, “I do not want to come out with an opinion because I know that the matter, very soon, will come to the floor of the House of Representatives and as the presiding officer, I don’t want to give my opinion before that time.

“But, one thing we can take home and assure our followers is that we will never allow any measure to be embarked upon by the government that would further impoverish our people.

“And so, there are times as leaders, that we take very difficult decisions. The reason why we came to a position where this country was waiting to explode was because any time we were confronted with difficulties, we had always taken the easiest way out.

“We never involved ourselves in taking hard, very hard choices for our people. This is a matter that is subject to further re-examination and as a parliament, we will listen to all.

“In the House of Representatives, we represent everyone, whether it is the government, labour, whatever the institutions, we are their representatives; so when the matter comes, we will look at it and ensure that everything is resolved.

“Even if there is a conflict, I am sure we will play a mediatory role.”

Investigations by The PUNCH on Sunday showed that the leadership of the House resolved to convene the special session today soon after Dogara’s meeting with the delegation ended on Friday.

It will be recalled that in 2012, the House had convened a similar session to oppose the decision of the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan to remove fuel subsidy.

Amid the mounting opposition from across Nigeria, the Jonathan-led administration later settled for a pump price of N97 per litre.

The administration later reduced the pump price to N86.50 before it jumped to N145 last week as the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari announced the total removal of subsidy.

The development came as the Leader of the House, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, a known pro-subsidy legislator, made a U-turn to kick against the continued retention of subsidy.

It was Gbajabiamila, who led a debate on the floor of the House in 2012 to berate Jonathan’s decision to remove fuel subsidy.

However, he told The PUNCH on Sunday that he was compelled to change his mind and support subsidy removal because the “overwhelming” evidence on the ground had shown that subsidy was not sustainable.

He added, “But, now, for the first time, I was at a stakeholders’ meeting with the Vice-President’s office, with labour leaders, by the time a graphic picture of what was happening, with facts and figures, was reeled out, and what was about to happen if we continued this way, much as I resisted, it was clear to me that we might not even have a country in a couple of months.

“I saw clearly that no state would be able to pay salaries in two months’ time, even oil-producing states would not be able to pay salaries, if there was no federal allocation.

“At that point, I was caught between the devil and deep blue sea. It was now a question of do you want to resist the removal of subsidy and then down the line you can’t even pay salaries?

“I came to the very painful conclusion that in the short term, deregulation was the best way to go and that in the long term, it will pay off for everybody.”

However, the opposition Peoples Democratic Party members described the government’s move as “laughable.”

They asked why it took the government so long to see what Jonathan saw many years ago and resolved to fix it but he was opposed.

The Minority Leader of the House, Mr. Leo Ogor, in particular, asked the government to apologise to the PDP.

The Chairman, House Committee on Public Petitions, Mr. Uzoma Nkem-Abonta, a PDP member, also called for an apology from the Buhari government.

source: http://punchng.com/reps-summon-kachikwu-fuel-subsidy-removal/

***********************************************************************************************
Meeting scheduled for today. Issues of palliative measures would also be discussed.

MODIFIED: The fuel increment has been a major issue for the last few day. I think this meeting is an important one and i will take time out to sensitize the people on this meeting. I believe the benefits are enormous.

Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by 2n2k(m): 6:05pm On May 16, 2016
amazingspiderma:
I find it worrying that the finance minister who balances the books is not in anyway part of this subsidies episode at least to give us a break down of how the numbers add up.
Either the house is not taking a holistic approach to the root causes of fuel subsidy removal or she has been warned to stay mute so that Kachukwu will carry the weight alone.
This administration is fantastically complicated.

Iweala spearheaded the 2012 campaign because she was Coordinating Minister of Economy not necessarily as Minister of Finance. She had an overall view of the economy unlike the stripped-down ministry of finance that we have now. She was backed up then by Sanusi and to some extent Diezani.

This time, Osinbajo is a sort of CME and he has released statement to justify the withdrawal. Kachikwu knows more about the technicalities and it will help the government to just let him be the lead-vocal for now.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by reemix123(m): 6:18pm On May 16, 2016
For the second time kachukwu has been called instead of Buhari.

He should simply tell them he is the slave they should speak to oga at the top.

If the roof is leaking a bucket will only collect water it won't fix the roof.

Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by DExplorer1: 6:20pm On May 16, 2016
saltoftheearth:
Must states rely on allocation from federal government to pay salaries? This rep, Gbajabiamila is a joker. So their argument is to push the weight States are dreading on Nigerians instead? They better carry their burdens? State governments should wake up and seek ways of generating revenue internally with new ideas and strategies. APC should stop all this propaganda. Reverse back to 86:50 and lets see what happens in 2 months. Nigeria will not collapse. Laziness is what is killing our senators, state governors and politicians. They should stop depending on the center and crude oil for survival. They keep given examples of countries that have successfully deregulated. HOW MANY OF THESE COUNTRIES HAVE THE POOR POWER SITUATION WE HAVE IN NIGERIA. This government should get one thing right first before considering the next.
Gbajabiamila is right! All the states depend on allocation before they can do anything. I think the last time i saw a creative state project that can generate income was the building of the Tinapa Business Resort. To rely on allocation has been the circle and even if they come up with ideas and strategies, don't you think that will reduce state allocation? I guess they've been thinking like that.

Talking about the senators, i would have prefer the unrealistic protest of labour to be directed toward the salaries, cars and whotnot those people enjoy than destructing the on-going progressive process in the oil sector.

Also i think the government is on the right track. They got this right. I heard Kachikwu said over N1billion has been saved since the removal of fuel subsidy. I believe part of this money would be channeled toward the power project also, besides, there will be more money to power various federal projects and payment of civil servants' salaries.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by permanentgrace(m): 6:24pm On May 16, 2016
I have been saying it and i am repeating it, GOD PUNISH BUHARI AND HIS USELESS GOVERNMENT.
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Mayflowa(m): 6:29pm On May 16, 2016
pendusky:

Lol, APC deceiving Nigerians, That's indirect way of devaluing naira...

Yeah...you can say that again! I do not really know why a govt believes there is dollars out side their coffer. How would black market get dollars? Who gives them the dollars?
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by jozee8: 6:32pm On May 16, 2016
he Chairman, House Committee on Public Petitions, Mr. Uzoma Nkem-Abonta, a PDP member, also called for an apology from the Buhari government.

who apology don epp jooooor
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 16, 2016
DExplorer1:

I really don't think anyone would want to sell at N90 or N95 considering the CBN exchange rate and the fact that marketers would want to exploit the situation. But the good part of it is the sales limit of N145. Maybe, just maybe, a strong competition would make fuel stations bring their prices down. A typical example is, if you sell at N135 and i sell at N145, i'm sure you will be taking most of my 'customers.'

To your 2nd question, there will be little or no queue at our petrol stations and the product will be very available. As concerning meters been adjusted, well, that's a Nigerian factor we're talking as i'm sure that many of them have fuel in their tanks before the pronouncement.

Thanks for your answers.
I was against the removal of fuel subsidy in 2012 by the Jonathan's administration because he didn't consult Nigerians before the removal.

Now Buhari’s administration has done the same mistake. Surely, subsidy has to go but you have to prepare our minds for the hardship ahead before you remove it.

Jonathan wake up from sleep on new year day and as early as 5:30 in the morning he was already at Radio Nigeria announcing the removal of fuel subsidy and increase in fuel pump price. How he got to radio Nigeria by 5:30am is still a mystery to me.

4 years after, Buhari called Kachukwu and said, "Bros I'm going to Britain, remove the fuel subsidy immediately I leave. You know that I have already told them that there's nothing like fuel subsidy".

Why are they behaving like maffians.
Can't we all discuss about this for at least one month, prepare our minds for the hard times ahead, put in some pariative measures and remove the subsidy.

DExplorer , my question is :
kachukwu didn't call a spade, a spade. I mean that he didn't call it subsidy removal, what happens when another government comes in and start telling us that there are still subsidy?
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by francisbiz: 6:53pm On May 16, 2016
DExplorer1:
LIVE UPDATE: ON PALLIATIVES

Firstly
"State will get money required. Labour force would be paid..."

Secondly
"social investments for over 8 million Nigerians"

Third among many others
"more workforce will be created as there's a lost of over 250,000 jobs in the off stream section...we are creating them back"

I HEARD SAME PROMISES UNDER IBB, ABACHA, OBJ AND GEJ

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by saltoftheearth: 6:57pm On May 16, 2016
Every area of government services is worse than Buhari's government met it. They have given false hope and lied to Nigerians at every turn. They have shown us they cannot be trusted. Which is why i suggest they should fulfill at least one of their campaign promises to Nigerians before embarking on this gamble. Power generation is worst ever. They said refineries are working at full capacity, yet there is no fuel. The free meal for schools is nowhere to be seen. They even denied it. Kachikwu said fuel will be surplus in May. Instead he shifted the goal post by increasing pump price. Nigerians don't trust Buhari and his government again. We cannot gamble at this level with a leadership we do not trust. Why can't they focus on power for the next 6 months using money recovered by EFCC, provide a certain level of power generation and stability then proceed with pump price increase. If they are saying Fed government cannot afford to pay for import of fuel, the solution is simple. STOP IMPORTING FUEL!. Make the existing refineries work and build more. Abacha made this fuel importing the norm. Buhari can decide to stop it. We can achieve local production and refining of our crude. All payments are made in naira. But like i said, our politicians are so lazy and always seeking a quick fix that may backfire later.
DExplorer1:

Gbajabiamila is right! All the states depend on allocation before they can do anything. I think the last time i saw a creative state project that can generate income was the building of the Tinapa Business Resort. To rely on allocation has been the circle and even if they come up with ideas and strategies, don't you think that will reduce state allocation? I guess they've been thinking like that.

Talking about the senators, i would have prefer the unrealistic protest of labour to be directed toward the salaries, cars and whotnot those people enjoy than destructing the on-going progressive process in the oil sector.

Also i think the government is on the right track. They got this right. I heard Kachikwu said over N1billion has been saved since the removal of fuel subsidy. I believe part of this money would be channeled toward the power project also, besides, there will be more money to power various federal projects and payment of civil servants' salaries.
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Frankiss44(m): 7:02pm On May 16, 2016
Mayflowa:

Yeah...you can say that again! I do not really know why a govt believes there is dollars out side their coffer. How would black market get dollars? Who gives them the dollars?

That's where the scam comes in.. Someone is profiting seriously by selling the dollars to the black marketers.. The English PM wasn't joking when he said Nigeria is fantastically corrupt.
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by DExplorer1: 7:32pm On May 16, 2016
ochukwuma15:

Thanks for your answers.
I was against the removal of fuel subsidy in 2012 by the Jonathan's administration because he didn't consult Nigerians before the removal.

Now Buhari’s administration has done the same mistake. Surely, subsidy has to go but you have to prepare our minds for the hardship ahead before you remove it.

Jonathan wake up from sleep on new year day and as early as 5:30 in the morning he was already at Radio Nigeria announcing the removal of fuel subsidy and increase in fuel pump price. How he got to radio Nigeria by 5:30am is still a mystery to me.

4 years after, Buhari called Kachukwu and said, "Bros I'm going to Britain, remove the fuel subsidy immediately I leave. You know that I have already told them that there's nothing like fuel subsidy".

Why are they behaving like maffians.
Can't we all discuss about this for at least one month, prepare our minds for the hard times ahead, put in some pariative measures and remove the subsidy.

DExplorer , my question is :
kachukwu didn't call a spade, a spade. I mean that he didn't call it subsidy removal, what happens when another government comes in and start telling us that there are still subsidy?

I think we shouldn't get these things twisted. Whether it's subsidy removal or sector deregulation, it all lay claim to the fact that extra payment for oil products to marketers by the federal government has been stopped. Which in common word we can say it's subsidy removal, no one can deny that.

I also protested in 2012, April. Infact, i was part of the SNG team at the Gani Fawehinmi Freedom Park. You see, the difference is that, in 2012, removal of fuel subsidy was a fraud. The government on ground was not sincere on how the returns from the action would be distributed. The structures were not on ground and we were seeing corruption face-to-face. But now, it's more of a project and of course the government is very sincere via the anti-corruption campaign and also there are structures on ground. I can say we have a working government. I believe in the next few months, Nigerians will see the benefits.
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by DExplorer1: 8:02pm On May 16, 2016
saltoftheearth:
Every area of government services is worse than Buhari's government met it. They have given false hope and lied to Nigerians at every turn. They have shown us they cannot be trusted. Which is why i suggest they should fulfill at least one of their campaign promises to Nigerians before embarking on this gamble. Power generation is worst ever. They said refineries are working at full capacity, yet there is no fuel. The free meal for schools is nowhere to be seen. They even denied it. Kachikwu said fuel will be surplus in May. Instead he shifted the goal post by increasing pump price. Nigerians don't trust Buhari and his government again. We cannot gamble at this level with a leadership we do not trust. Why can't they focus on power for the next 6 months using money recovered by EFCC, provide a certain level of power generation and stability then proceed with pump price increase. If they are saying Fed government cannot afford to pay for import of fuel, the solution is simple. STOP IMPORTING FUEL!. Make the existing refineries work and build more. Abacha made this fuel importing the norm. Buhari can decide to stop it. We can achieve local production and refining of our crude. All payments are made in naira. But like i said, our politicians are so lazy and always seeking a quick fix that may backfire later.
I agree things are hard, even Kachickwu agreed. But also, if we check widely, it's a global problem. Most African oil producing nation are affected but it's not reflecting because they're NOT subsidizing. Again, the clampdown on corruption and sudden adjustment by involved individuals, companies can shake any economy since these people run the economy before now. Campaign promises are gradually kept, i can tick 4 visible promises kept already within the one-year of Buhari's Administration. I don't agree if you say there is no fuel, there are more supplies now. The Kaduna, Warri and Portharcourt refineries are working at full capacity and i've not seen queue anywhere in the last few weeks.

When Kachikwu said May on National TV, i was listening and i heard him right. The goal post was not shifted. He said there would be relief from May and that queue will disappear from fuel stations. My brother, he was right!

Lastly, talking about money recovered by the EFCC, i had wait till May 29 for the president to inform us articulately on how the money has been spent. But if you ask me, putting a dead refinery to work is million in dollars. Also, we can't stop importing fuel until we get all refineries working at full capacity. Nigeria is the highest consumption of petroleum products, considering our population and not importing is total break-down and so far, from what Kachikwu said, we have 3 companies we dealing with and it's in naira exchange price basis not in dollars. There's no quick fix to Nigeria's problems, this administration met them on ground and is working to fix them.
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by bulkwealth(m): 8:58pm On May 16, 2016
DExplorer1:

The House of Representatives has cut short its resumption of plenary by one day — from Tuesday to Monday (today) — to take a position on the issue of the removal of the subsidy on petrol by the Federal Government.

The House summoned the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, on Sunday, to appear today and explain why the government jacked up the pump price of petrol to N145 from N86.50k.

The minister is to address lawmakers at the session to be presided over by the Speaker, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, beginning by 12pm.

Dogara had on Friday last week, hinted that members would debate the fuel price increase this week and take a position on the new price regime.

He spoke in Abuja while granting audience to a delegation from the National Council of Ulamas of the Jamatu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa Iqamatis Sunnah at the National Assembly.

Dogara had stated that the House would not support any policy that would “further impoverish” Nigerians, but clarified that the final decision would be taken by all the 360 lawmakers this week.

He said, “I do not want to come out with an opinion because I know that the matter, very soon, will come to the floor of the House of Representatives and as the presiding officer, I don’t want to give my opinion before that time.

“But, one thing we can take home and assure our followers is that we will never allow any measure to be embarked upon by the government that would further impoverish our people.

“And so, there are times as leaders, that we take very difficult decisions. The reason why we came to a position where this country was waiting to explode was because any time we were confronted with difficulties, we had always taken the easiest way out.

“We never involved ourselves in taking hard, very hard choices for our people. This is a matter that is subject to further re-examination and as a parliament, we will listen to all.

“In the House of Representatives, we represent everyone, whether it is the government, labour, whatever the institutions, we are their representatives; so when the matter comes, we will look at it and ensure that everything is resolved.

“Even if there is a conflict, I am sure we will play a mediatory role.”

Investigations by The PUNCH on Sunday showed that the leadership of the House resolved to convene the special session today soon after Dogara’s meeting with the delegation ended on Friday.

It will be recalled that in 2012, the House had convened a similar session to oppose the decision of the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan to remove fuel subsidy.

Amid the mounting opposition from across Nigeria, the Jonathan-led administration later settled for a pump price of N97 per litre.

The administration later reduced the pump price to N86.50 before it jumped to N145 last week as the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari announced the total removal of subsidy.

The development came as the Leader of the House, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, a known pro-subsidy legislator, made a U-turn to kick against the continued retention of subsidy.

It was Gbajabiamila, who led a debate on the floor of the House in 2012 to berate Jonathan’s decision to remove fuel subsidy.

However, he told The PUNCH on Sunday that he was compelled to change his mind and support subsidy removal because the “overwhelming” evidence on the ground had shown that subsidy was not sustainable.

He added, “But, now, for the first time, I was at a stakeholders’ meeting with the Vice-President’s office, with labour leaders, by the time a graphic picture of what was happening, with facts and figures, was reeled out, and what was about to happen if we continued this way, much as I resisted, it was clear to me that we might not even have a country in a couple of months.

“I saw clearly that no state would be able to pay salaries in two months’ time, even oil-producing states would not be able to pay salaries, if there was no federal allocation.

“At that point, I was caught between the devil and deep blue sea. It was now a question of do you want to resist the removal of subsidy and then down the line you can’t even pay salaries?

“I came to the very painful conclusion that in the short term, deregulation was the best way to go and that in the long term, it will pay off for everybody.”

However, the opposition Peoples Democratic Party members described the government’s move as “laughable.”

They asked why it took the government so long to see what Jonathan saw many years ago and resolved to fix it but he was opposed.

The Minority Leader of the House, Mr. Leo Ogor, in particular, asked the government to apologise to the PDP.

The Chairman, House Committee on Public Petitions, Mr. Uzoma Nkem-Abonta, a PDP member, also called for an apology from the Buhari government.

source: http://punchng.com/reps-summon-kachikwu-fuel-subsidy-removal/

***********************************************************************************************
Meeting scheduled for today. Issues of palliative measures would also be discussed.

MODIFIED: The fuel increment has been a major issue for the last few day. I think this meeting is an important one and i will take time out to sensitize the people on this meeting. I believe the benefits are enormous.

I am a strong advocate of Plan "B".
It is ignorance to limit yourself to one stream of income.
It is more annoying when that one source of income is ACTIVE.
There are 2 types of income: Active & Passive.
(I can lecture you on that for free)
My plan B gives me the two most important factors in human growth and development: Information & Contacts.
I have seen market women,uneducated people and the elites earn big and drive brand new cars courtesy of my plan B company.
It takes just N6,600 donation to start.
With this one off donation,you help the less privileged and you also earn.
Just few weeks ago,some of my patners earned their brand new cars in Calabar.
Check them out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXTyndt1m6c
So many started few months ago and today,they are better-off
I look forward to giving you details and strategies on how this works.
Inbox me now and lets soar.
" As long as you don't know what you ought to,you don't grow ".
" Your income grows to the extent that you do".
"There is no probability of FAILURE to a man who hasn't tried, It is GUARANTEED".
P.O.O.R is an acronym for
Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly.
You don't wanna pass this over!!!
#ImpossibleIsNothing.
#TakeAdvantage.
#inboxme/whatsapp
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by guiddoti: 9:21pm On May 16, 2016
incomintop:
Fulanis are very smart people using Igbo man kachikwu to defend their dirty policy
That is one reason jonathan is too dull to play the game.
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by guiddoti: 9:33pm On May 16, 2016
incomintop:

You are derailing from the question of this thread
We are saying why will the house representative allow a junior minister address them when the senior minister Buhari is in town
who made the announcement?
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by CioAngels(f): 10:14pm On May 16, 2016
For as long as adviser mamman daura is sitting on the head of buhari, our ministers does not have a say, becos they are just rubber stamp. Shikena.
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by saltoftheearth: 10:30pm On May 16, 2016
You call this relief! N145 per litre? What you are saying then is Kachikwu used his words composition to play Nigerians. Get on the streets and know how angry, frustrated and sad people are. This government had so much good will from the people and they are so shocked and speechless at the level of betrayal and promises not kept. When the rallies commence, you will know that PMB's government is gradually losing its support.
DExplorer1:

I agree things are hard, even Kachickwu agreed. But also, if we check widely, it's a global problem. Most African oil producing nation are affected but it's not reflecting because they're NOT subsidizing. Again, the clampdown on corruption and sudden adjustment by involved individuals, companies can shake any economy since these people run the economy before now. Campaign promises are gradually kept, i can tick 4 visible promises kept already within the one-year of Buhari's Administration. I don't agree if you say there is no fuel, there are more supplies now. The Kaduna, Warri and Portharcourt refineries are working at full capacity and i've not seen queue anywhere in the last few weeks.

When Kachikwu said May on National TV, i was listening and i heard him right. The goal post was not shifted. He said there would be relief from May and that queue will disappear from fuel stations. My brother, he was right!

Lastly, talking about money recovered by the EFCC, i had wait till May 29 for the president to inform us articulately on how the money has been spent. But if you ask me, putting a dead refinery to work is million in dollars. Also, we can't stop importing fuel until we get all refineries working at full capacity. Nigeria is the highest consumption of petroleum products, considering our population and not importing is total break-down and so far, from what Kachikwu said, we have 3 companies we dealing with and it's in naira exchange price basis not in dollars. There's no quick fix to Nigeria's problems, this administration met them on ground and is working to fix them.
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Image123(m): 10:39pm On May 16, 2016
incomintop:

That's not point is why will a junior address the parliament

Why not? Is it against the law or is the "junior" incompetent? Quit majoring on minors, you're old enough.
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Sumptylism: 3:56am On May 17, 2016
I think Nigerians have not asked some fundamental questions...the truth is that most people do not even even understand the rationale behind the increase in fuel price...and are currently ignorant of the FACTS!
...for the records, the VP has come out to say that the increase in petroleum product price IS NOT due to the removal of subsidy...most people seem oblivious of this fact...and trust me...this administration may not want to make this obvious as it may be best for them if people BELIEVE the hike in price is due to the subsidy removal....

...the current hike in price is due to the fall in the value of the Naira especially at the parallel market and due to the difficulty of oil importers and marketers to source for foreign exchange...the hike in price is to serve as to serve as a motivator for them to remain in business, reduce the pressure on the NNPC to bridge the petroleum products demand gap, making petroleum products more available...hence reducing the queues at the filling stations...so that they can concentrate on crude exports which could help at least address the issue of depleting oil revenue....

This is not rocket science...it is as clear as it should be...if I bought some items of say $10 at 199 Naira to $1...that meant paying 1990 Naira...if the exchange rate at which the seller bought the product becomes say 300 Naira to $1 then its reasonable to say the $10 item would now be equivalent to 3000 Naira as no seller may want to sell at 1990 Naira and still make profit/ remain in business...what we currently pay for is the increase in the exchange rate and NOT the removal of subsidy...in order to encourage oil importers/ marketers to remain in business...and in line with the exchange rate realities....

DExplorer1:
LIVE UPDATE: "We have 3 international companies on ground willing to exchange oil in naira basis"

How we arrived at N145 in price?

"It's obvious the exchange rate influenced our decision and prices could go down but at N145 Max"

How do we ensure the beneficiaries of the palliatives are right selected?

"the right federal agencies in charge are to oversee the process"

How did you come about fixing prices and not the PPPRA?
"The PPPRA structure is to create a price plan policy not fixing price"

What volume do we produce at the moment?
"Currently 9 million litres"

At what price is NNPC selling for?
"Currently it is at N135"

About what the Vice-President said addressing exchange rate and not deregulation?
"Deregulation will follow its own due course, we are just shying away from the present state of things"

LIVE UPDATE:
Is this the best option to adopt?
"If there were other options we would have exploited it, there were no better other options.

Every single member of Opic has increased pump prices and eliminated subsidy, it's global problem and Nigerians can't sit back when we're now face with difficulties"

Why FG increased petrol pump price to N145 per litre – Kachikwu
ON MAY 11, 20166:40 PMIN NEWSCOMMENTS *says any Nigerian entity is now free to import the product based on govt regulations By Levinus Nwabughiogu ABUJA –

Minister of State for Petroleum, Mr. Ibe Kachikwu, Wednesday, defended the jerking up of pump price of Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, also known as fuel by the federal government from N86:50 to N145, saying that it was the only way out of the exorbitant prices of N150 to N250 Nigerians were subjected to at many filling stations across the country. He however stated that government had articulated many social protection programmes in the 2016 budget to cushion the effect the hike may have on Nigerians. Rising from a meeting chaired by Vice President, Yemi Osinabjo which also had other various stakeholders including the Leadership of the Senate, House of Representatives, Nigerian Governors Forum, and Labour Unions (NLC, TUC, NUPENG, and PENGASSAN), at the Aguda House, official residence of the Vice President, Kachikwu noted that “the reason for the current problem is the inability of importers of petroleum products to source foreign exchange at the official rate due to the massive decline of foreign exchange earnings of the federal government. As a result, private marketers have been unable to meet their approximate 50% portion of total national supply of PMS.” File: NNPC Mega Filling Station The minister who briefed the State House Correspondents on the resolution of the meeting said that to wet the country with fuel, any Nigerian entity was now free to import the product, subject to existing quality specifications and other guidelines issued by Regulatory Agencies. “We have just finished a meeting of various stakeholders presided over by His Excellency, the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. “The meeting had in attendance the Leadership of the Senate, House of Representatives, Governors Forum, and Labour Unions (NLC, TUC, NUPENG, and PENGASSAN). The meeting reviewed: “The current fuel scarcity and supply difficulties in the country. “The exorbitant prices being paid by Nigerians for the product. These prices range on the average from N150 to N250 per litre currently. “The meeting also noted that the main reason for the current problem is the inability of importers of petroleum products to source foreign exchange at the official rate due to the massive decline of foreign exchange earnings of the federal government. As a result, private marketers have been unable to meet their approximate 50% portion of total national supply of PMS. “Following a detailed presentation by the Honorable Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, it has now become obvious that the only option and course of action now open to the government is to take the following decisions: “In order to increase and stabilise the supply of the product, any Nigerian entity is now free to import the product, subject to existing quality specifications and other guidelines issued by Regulatory Agencies. “All Oil Marketers will be allowed to import PMS on the basis of FOREX procured from secondary sources and accordingly PPPRA template will reflect this in the pricing of the product. “Pursuant to this, PPPRA has informed me that it will be announcing a new price band effective today, 11th May, 2016 and that the new price for PMS will not be above N145 per litre. “We expect that this new policy will lead to improved supply and competition and eventually drive down pump prices, as we have experienced with diesel. In addition, this will also lead to increased product availability and encourage investments in refineries and other parts of the downstream sector. It will also prevent diversion of petroleum products and set a stable environment for the downstream sector in Nigeria. “We share the pains of Nigerians but, as we have constantly said, the inherited difficulties of the past and the challenges of the current times imply that we must take difficult decisions on these sorts of critical national issues. Along with this decision, the federal government has in the 2016 budget made an unprecedented social protection provision to cushion the current challenges. “We believe in the long term, that improved supply and competition will drive down prices. The DPR and PPPRA have been mandated to ensure strict regulatory compliance including dealing decisively with anyone involved in hoarding petroleum products.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/fg-increased-petrol-pump-price-n145-per-litre-kachikwu/

We should all read between the lines and ask some fundamental questions: if petroleum products sell at this rate...then at what rate would it be sold...if and when subsidy is eventually removed?
Re: House Of Reps Summons Ibe Kachikwu Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by colli247(m): 10:06am On May 17, 2016
legislator in Nigeria are groups of old fools gathered together to discuss what will favour them and their entire generation after their say youth are the leaders of tomorrow why 70-95 year old man still occupy the position till kingdom come ----which way naija..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fayose To Inaugurate EGEM, Ekiti Grazing Enforcement Marshalls Against Fulani / Arewa Youths Withdraw Quit Notice To Igbo / Thread To Monitor 6-Week War To Crush Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.