Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,466 members, 7,801,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare (5338 Views)

Poll: Is the Pastor's remarriage biblically justified?

Yes, the wife left him & remarried: 100% (6 votes)
No, he can't remarry unless she dies.: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Pastor Adeboye Was Afraid To Die On Nigeria Airways Flight / Pastor E A Adeboye Was Seen Visiting Cecilia Ibru In Luth / Pastors Divided Over Sack Of Ighodalo Of Rccg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by REALTRUTH1: 3:42pm On Aug 17, 2009
Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong —Bakare
August 17, 2009 14:00 (1 hour ago), 604 views

By Eromosele Ebhomele

Pastor Tunde Bakare of the Latter Rain Assembly has joined the growing number of Nigerians who have so far criticised the sack of Pastor Itua Ighodalo of the Redeemed Christian Church of God for remarrying 10 years after divorcing his former wife.

P.M.News had two weeks ago published a story about the removal of Ighodalo, who before his sack, was the Pastoral head of Province 18 of the church in Lagos. This comprises all the branches of the church in Gbagada Parish.

Pastor Bakare in his sermon titled ‘Mammon and Their Counterfeit Astonishing Power’, yesterday decried the sacking of Pastor Ighodalo.

According to the pastor, who spoke mostly in parables, this same church that sacked the pastor for remarrying would honour other inviduals with more than one wife, giving them front seats in the church.

Hear him: “As a young Christian, a man married a total stranger and when it was time for him to come home, his wife refused to follow him.

“The man came down, gathered people to intercede for him for 10 years while gathering the flocks for his God and after ten years, he decided to re-marry and all of a sudden, the church said they found it somewhere in the Bible that he cannot remarry, whereas those with three wives are given front seats in the church.”

According to him, such was the level of the degeneration of the church generally to the extent that those who belong to the occult would be given important personality treatment in the church at the expense of imparting strict religious doctrines.

Pastor Bakare said most churches have embraced sorcery in order to perform fake miracles.

The man of God also praised the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Sanusi Lamido for what he termed his bold steps for removing five bank managing directors.

While praying for Sanusi, Bakare said he was sure that the apex bank governor was ready to sanitise the banking sector.

“I know nothing would happen to him. I am not saying he is a saint, but God can use anybody he chooses,” the man of God said while advising all those who took loans from the banks to pay back in their own interest

http://thepmnews.com/2009/08/17/sack-of-ighodalo-adeboye-was-wrong-%e2%80%94bakare
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by Seun(m): 4:02pm On Aug 17, 2009
This guy and his rivalry sha.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by MadMax1(f): 4:52pm On Aug 17, 2009
Di whole thing get as e be. This guy seems to have a personal grouse against RCCG. They're not the only church with funny feathers na. Still, he makes a point: Traditional rulers and notables with many wives are given preferential treatment, whereas a church is called to be no respecter of persons.Make dem gree di guy marry jare. He's not at fault and his marriage is scripturally sound.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 17, 2009
According to the pastor, who spoke mostly in parables, this same church that sacked the pastor for remarrying would honour other inviduals with more than one wife, giving them front seats in the church.

Hear him: “As a young Christian, a man married a total stranger and when it was time for him to come home, his wife refused to follow him.

“The man came down, gathered people to intercede for him for 10 years while gathering the flocks for his God and after ten years, he decided to re-marry and all of a sudden, the church said they found it somewhere in the Bible that he cannot remarry, whereas those with three wives are given front seats in the church.”

well, not knowing all the facts of the case but why was it imperative for him to go home at that time? Isnt it the same Nigeria other Nigerians are swearing never to set foot in till the day they die? Was it a green card wedding?

as per polygamists being given front row seats- not good but the church isnt supposed to shut enquiring people out because of their lifestyles, unless they're hard hearted.

And a church leader should be held to different standards, which is why people shouldnt always be rushing to get leadership positions.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by Seun(m): 7:36pm On Aug 17, 2009
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 17, 2009
It was very wrong of Tunde Bakare to say that out in public, whether or not it was wrong of Adeboye to have done it.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by Tudor6(f): 8:38pm On Aug 17, 2009
mactao:

It was very wrong of Tunde Bakare to say that out in public, whether or not it was wrong of Adeboye to have done it.
If a pastor sees another pastor misinterpreting the scriptures, is it not right for him to speak against it?

I wonder if you expected him to come say it in your bedroom. . .
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by bawomolo(m): 11:11pm On Aug 17, 2009
Tudór:

If a pastor sees another pastor misinterpreting the scriptures, is it not right for him to speak against it?

I wonder if you expected him to come say it in your bedroom. . .

i think he is saying this should have being discussed in private before going public.

aren't they both members of CAN?
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by Nobody: 2:10am On Aug 18, 2009
I dont see why this is being blown out of proportion anyway, unless people want to make it an issue and fight for their right to get divorced.

already someone was talking about some marriages not being validated by God- whatever that's supposed to mean.

Soon now we'll hear stories of people who say they married live cow, cat, mammy water and snake, and need to get divorced because they were bewitched into marriage.

They're never bewitched into green card marriage- its only in the unions involving someone who understands their primordial belief that humans can turn to animals and mermaids, that they realize they were gobsmacked by sex.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by timmy7(m): 8:44am On Aug 18, 2009
Is this not d pastor that said obasanjo would not be sworn in as president in '99 Then i bet he's 100% right on this one. angry
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by PastorAIO: 9:04am On Aug 18, 2009
bawomolo:

i think he is saying this should have being discussed in private before going public.

aren't they both members of CAN?

Christianity is a very public religion in Nigeria. They discuss points of doctrine very publicly, they confront other religions very publicly, They influence state matters very publicly etc etc etc. Discussing privately before going public would amount to hypocrisy considering the public nature of everything else done in 'christianity'.

The only reason it would be discussed publicly is for PR reasons and protecting the PR of Adeboye.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by AKO1(m): 10:18am On Aug 18, 2009
What is wrong with giving people with 3 wives front seats in church?

Did Jesus come for the whole or the sick? undecided
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by PastorAIO: 10:43am On Aug 18, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Christianity is a very public religion in Nigeria. They discuss points of doctrine very publicly, they confront other religions very publicly, They influence state matters very publicly etc etc etc. Discussing privately before going public would amount to hypocrisy considering the public nature of everything else done in 'christianity'.

The only reason it would be discussed publicly is for PR reasons and protecting the PR of Adeboye.

Not to mention that fact that Adeboye is fond of publicly denouncing the likes of T B Joshua.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 18, 2009
A_K_O:

What is wrong with giving people with 3 wives front seats in church?

Did Jesus come for the whole or the sick? undecided

nothing wrong with it as long as the three wives person is made to understand he needs a change of lifestyle.

If he cant do that, then he doesnt need to keep sitting in front, imo. Before the three wives multiplies exponentially to six, nine, twelve , twenty four, etc. And the church is turned upside down on its head with nobody knowing where they're coming from or headed to.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by bawomolo(m): 7:27pm On Aug 18, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Not to mention that fact that Adeboye is fond of publicly denouncing the likes of T B Joshua.

you have a point. this seems to be standard protocol for Nigerian pastors
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by MadMax1(f): 8:20pm On Aug 18, 2009
tpia.:

I dont see why this is being blown out of proportion anyway, unless people want to make it an issue and fight for their right to get divorced.
[b]already someone was talking about some marriages not being validated by God- whatever that's supposed to mean.
Soon now we'll hear stories of people who say they married live cow, cat, mammy water and snake, and need to get divorced because they were bewitched into marriage.T[/b]hey're never bewitched into green card marriage- its only in the unions involving someone who understands their primordial belief that humans can turn to animals and mermaids, that they realize they were gobsmacked by sex.

LOL!
I almost expired laughing in one section,only to come and see this one again. That's a point right there. But it isn't so much about divorce as about a man who was married to a non-Christian who left him for someone else and is now married. His church is applying the verse about two Christians separating,instead of the one that says If you're married to a non-christian and he or she chooses to leave, you are free to remarry. You are not bound in such a case. That's the problem with legalism.The letter of the law kills but the spirit gives life. They will not face their out-of-control ashawo pastors and deal with the real issues making nonsense out of Nigerian Christianity. It's to punish a man whose unbelieving wife left him because he got religion,and who stayed single for a decade before marrying again. Meanwhile the 'genuine' pastors in their fold are going through choristers like a harmattan fire. One of the reasons I left that church in disgust when I attended it briefly, years ago.

What were they looking at for two good years? Didn't the wedding take place in the church?Didn't those who expel him and his fellow pastors attend the wedding? What suddenly changed and made his marriage illegal? Politics ehn.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by illusion2: 9:17pm On Aug 18, 2009
Seun:

This guy and his rivalry sha.
Abi o ! cry cry
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by ilosiwaju: 12:16pm On Aug 19, 2009
and saying obj will die in 1999 was not. we know its wrong bakare but ur not really qualified to point fingers.
pharisees!
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 19, 2009
Ever wondered why people laugh at Christianity?
This is a very good example. . . . . so much in-fighting.

Why are there so many teachings, opinions and doctrines when the bible clearly states whats obtainable.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by GEW: 12:28pm On Aug 19, 2009
Mad_Max:

LOL!
I almost expired laughing in one section,only to come and see this one again. That's a point right there. But it isn't so much about divorce as about a man who was married to a non-Christian who left him for someone else and is now married. His church is applying the verse about two Christians separating,instead of the one that says If you're married to a non-christian and he or she chooses to leave, you are free to remarry. You are not bound in such a case. That's the problem with legalism.The letter of the law kills but the spirit gives life. They will not face their out-of-control ashawo pastors and deal with the real issues making nonsense out of Nigerian Christianity. It's to punish a man whose unbelieving wife left him because he got religion,and who stayed single for a decade before marrying again. Meanwhile the 'genuine' pastors in their fold are going through choristers like a harmattan fire. One of the reasons I left that church in disgust when I attended it briefly, years ago.

What were they looking at for two good years? Didn't the wedding take place in the church?Didn't those who expel him and his fellow pastors attend the wedding? What suddenly changed and made his marriage illegal? Politics ehn.
very funny
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by rethink: 1:39pm On Aug 19, 2009
The bible is sure once married Legaly and rightly you can never marry again. wether a man visits a church with thirty thousand wives and is given front sit is not the issue.

And if a sinner is given front sit what is the big deal?

Zacheus was on a tree what did Jesus do.

This our populist preachers God save us from.

Pastor Bakare and his like should better just join a peer pressure group other than a religious one because he is in error on this one.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by dafidixone(m): 1:52pm On Aug 19, 2009
There are different Men of God. They address the same purpose. Pastor Bakare is entitled to his own opinion but I do not see him as the repostory of knowledge whaen it com to biblical matter.

However, we must also note that the word of God is a 2-edged sword (one directing to the speaker while the other to the hearer).

Pastor Bakare is a man that do not apply diplomacy in doing things. But Pastor Adeboye will do most time. None of them is wrong in their leadership method. Pastor Bakare should try to draw attention of the G.O to whatever fact he might have on the matter. I don't think when the RCCG reserve sits for Nigeria leaders at the camp is out of place it is biblical.

Let Pastor Bakare try to address issues not sentiments. The issue here is talking on a Pastor that is beleived to be a beleiver, not an unbeleivers.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by MadMax1(f): 10:40pm On Aug 19, 2009
The man was an unbeliever. He married an unbeliever. He became a Christian. She couldn't stand his religion. She left him. She got married again.

1 Corinthians 7:12-15
But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

The bible verses they want to hang the man on and condemn him to a life devoid of children and love, tells you he acted perfectly right. The guy wasn't bound since the unbelieving wife left him.
They are not even commandments, but Paul's opinion on the matter. he stated plainly that he speaks, and not the Lord. But trust Nigerians. Odi ni gbogbo nkan won.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by GEW: 10:09am On Aug 20, 2009
Mad_Max:

[size=18pt]The man was an unbeliever. He married an unbeliever. He became a Christian. She couldn't stand his religion. She left him. She got married again.[/size]

1 Corinthians 7:12-15
But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
[size=18pt]But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.[/size]

The bible verses they want to hang the man on and condemn him to a life devoid of children and love, tells you he acted perfectly right. The guy wasn't bound since the unbelieving wife left him.
They are not even commandments, but Paul's opinion on the matter. he stated plainly that he speaks, and not the Lord. But trust Nigerians. Odi ni gbogbo nkan won.
trust nigerians indeed.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by KennyG6(m): 11:51am On Aug 20, 2009
As far as i can gather pastor Ighodalo is/was part of the RCCG, Pastor Adeboye is the head of the organisation, what happens within that organisation is no concern of Pastor Tunde Bakare (Latter Rain) who obviously has issues with RCCG anyway. I think he should just spend his energy and time building up his congregation instead of prying into other church affairs. His analogy that RCCG "whereas those with three wives are given front seats in the church.” is also fundamentally flawed because these people are not church workers or pastors, they are mere guests and important dignitaries for that matter and as such deserve to be treated as such i.e. sit in front/reserved areas. It is when these so called VIP's decide to accept the christian faith that the above doctrine applies to them.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by PastorAIO: 11:58am On Aug 20, 2009
Kenny_G:

As far as i can gather pastor Ighodalo is/was part of the RCCG, Pastor Adeboye is the head of the organisation, what happens within that organisation is no concern of Pastor Tunde Bakare (Latter Rain) who obviously has issues with RCCG anyway. I think he should just spend his energy and time building up his congregation instead of prying into other church affairs. His analogy that RCCG "whereas those with three wives are given front seats in the church.” is also fundamentally flawed because these people are not church workers or pastors, they are mere guests and important dignitaries for that matter and as such deserve to be treated as such i.e. sit in front/reserved areas. It is when these so called VIP's decide to accept the christian faith that the above doctrine applies to them.

Latter Rain and RCCG both claim to belong to one body, the church of Christ. Subsequently the affairs of one is the affairs of the other. If only for the matter of not allowing the other to spoil the good name they both share.

Me for me, I have given up the name to them. Let anybody who so wishes call himself a christian and drag the name through the slime and the mud, that is their own concern not mine.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by MadMax1(f): 3:54pm On Aug 20, 2009
Kenny_G:

Yeah. The guy seems to have some serious ‘beef’ with RCCG. One wonders why. The church has faults, grave ones, but they’re not as bad as other churches I could mention. But he has a right to comment on the issue. Virtually every church head has. It has implications for mainstream Naija Christianity, which is crude, paranoid and painfully ignorant in the main.

The thing is, Adeboye wields enormous power over millions of lives, people who trust him to lead them aright, and who base their lives on the decisions he makes. It’s a huge responsibility. And not just his church members but Naija Christians in the main, especially those who see the office of pastor as Deputy God, an attitude Naija pastors do nothing to discourage, in spite of the dangers inherent in such things. Adeboye’s pronouncements are taken as if God himself has spoken, and become something like law in his churches. The implications of this gross error, for millions of Christians, is enormous and disturbing. After all, to most, he is superhuman and infallible, and cannot possibly be in the wrong.

And yet, he is. The bible is perfectly clear on the issue. The man is not bound and is free to remarry.The fact that it took two years for him to declare the marriage 'wrong' tells you something’s fishy. Perhaps he didn’t expect it to generate this much controversy, but that’s rather short-sighted. The man got married in RCCG. Adeboye is always informed when any of his pastors is getting married, and his blessings are always sought. Since he was very close to this particular pastor, he’ll likely have attended the wedding. So what caused him to declare the marriage is wrong and the guy should have consigned himself to a lifetime of loneliness and childlessness because his unbelieving spouse deserted him ten years ago? His decision to sack the pastor, whose conduct is blameless, is ridiculous, disturbing and grossly unfair to the man concerned.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by Abuzola(m): 3:58pm On Aug 20, 2009
Christians and their palava. Non of them no the bible, they grab the suitable part and shun the persistent part
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by MadMax1(f): 12:16am On Aug 21, 2009
But you no the bible, right? Which are the suitable and persistent parts? You're a Christian. You must know.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by otokx(m): 6:07am On Aug 21, 2009
I think ADEBAYO got it right on this one.
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by wackhack(m): 10:19am On Aug 21, 2009
Wow!! Such an interesting things to read through all the comments above. But i will love to ask everyone a question, when Jesus was leaving the Earth what did He committed to our hand? The Bible or The Holy Spirit? You see, the problem is not whether A is right or B is wrong but the problem lies in our dogmats and doctrines. Where is the place of Holy Spirit? Let us be frank, check all through what you have posted here, is the Holy Spirit that initiated it or because you read in the Bible? You may make doctrine out of the Holy scripture without the Holy Spirit leading you. So, the problem remain unsolve without Him. Am advice i will love to give to everyone is not to criticize one Pastor or Other, but to seek the Place of Holy Spirit in doing things(not dogmats and doctrines of men). God still speak today, but how many are hearing?
Re: Sack Of Ighodalo: Adeboye Was Wrong — Tunde Bakare by MadMax1(f): 3:22pm On Aug 21, 2009
otokx:

I think ADEBAYO got it right on this one.

You mean ADEBAYOR, don't you?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – / Do You Know The Lyrics To This Praise Song Pls? / Interview With Aisha Uzoechina (pastor's Daughter Who Converted To Islam)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.