Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,571 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? (32424 Views)

What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? / If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious / Is It Wrong To Attend Different Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by kumaino(f): 5:44pm On Aug 18, 2009
yes its right to pay your tithe to different bible beliveing church.but do it in secret because He would reward in the open.
peace,
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by qblaze(m): 5:50pm On Aug 18, 2009
@ all the magas that steal give their hard earned money to thieving pastors. Jesus never said we should pay tithes. If you can refer to Malachi, why reject the rest of the old testament where people were allowed to screw and kill like animals?

Please don't further enrich my G.O. He already owns a jet.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 18, 2009
Yes.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by qblaze(m): 5:52pm On Aug 18, 2009
@ Chiejik,

Chukwudi is not a Christian name. It is an Igbo name. Maybe NwaJesus is Christian.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by qblaze(m): 5:52pm On Aug 18, 2009
Yes?
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Aug 18, 2009
What Pastors Won’t Tell You About Tithes

“And my people shall know the truth and the truth shall set them free” “Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse for ye have robbed me even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the store house and prove me now herewith saith the lord of hosts if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing, that there would not be room enough to receive it.” Malachi 3 : 8 -10

By Kunle Oshobi

The above quoted scripture is probably one of the most quoted in the bible.

Unfortunately, it is being quoted out of context and used as a weapon of mass intimidation, manipulation, extortion, oppression, cajolery and outright lies and deceit by some church leaders to collect 10 per cent of the gross income of their church members who have been hoodwinked into believing that they are doing God’s will.

Before I go into the details of this discourse, I want to state categorically that I am a God-loving, bible-believing Christian who has the fear of God in his heart. I am also not writing this article to undermine any church or pastor, but to let people realise the truth about tithes and remove the yoke placed by some pastors upon them. I also want to state categorically that I strongly believe in giving to the church for the sole purpose of propagating God’s work and the Christian ministry. I will continue to encourage all Christians to give their all to God as exemplified by the widow’s mite which Jesus Christ himself referred to in the bible.

Now, back to Malachi 3:8-10, the first question one should ask is who was this message directed at? The answer lies in the book of Numbers 18:25-28 which states that “The Lord commanded Moses to say to the Levites, when you receive from the Israelites the tithe that the Lord gives you as your possession, you must present a tenth of it as a special contribution to the Lord. This special contribution will be considered as the equivalent of the offering which the farmer makes of new grain and wine. In this way you would also present the special contribution which belongs to the Lord from all the tithes which you receive from the Israelites. You are to give this special contribution for the Lord to Aaron the priest.”

From the above, it is clear that it was the Levites that were directed to pay a tithe they collected from the Israelites to the priest who represents God and not the people of Israel. It was these Levites that were being referred to in the book of Malachi as those who rob God. A thorough study of the book of Malachi would reveal that in those days the Levites were collecting the tithe from the people of Israel and not remitting a tithe of it to the house of God, hence Malachi’s statement which is now being quoted out of context.

To understand what tithe really means one would have to understand the social reasons and cultural/religious setting within which it was situated. This concept of tithes was properly explained in the bible as stated in the laws of the tithe which can be found in the books of Leviticus 27:30-34, Numbers 18:25-31 and Deuteronomy 14:22-29. Upon reading these passages one would understand what tithes really mean, but unfortunately most pastors prefer to neglect these passages that tell us the true meaning of tithes and emphasise on Malachi 3:8-10 which was directed to the Levites of that time to remit the priest’s share of the tithes they collected to him. It is worthy of note that Malachi does not even define what tithe is and how it should be paid.

The definition of tithes, as practised today, was manufactured by modern day pastors to suit their purpose as it is completely in contrast with what is in the bible and it only seeks to manipulate Christians to believe that God requests 10 per cent of their gross income from them.

So what is tithe and why did God request that it be paid to the Levities? The answer can be found in the following passages: Leviticus 27:30-32 which states that “one tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain or fruit belongs to the Lord. If a man wishes to buy back any of it he must pay the standard price plus an additional 20 per cent. One in every ten domestic animal belongs to the Lord. When the animals are counted, every tenth one belongs to the Lord.” And Deuteronomy 26:12 which states that “every third year give the tithe, a tenth of your crops to the Levites, the foreigners, the orphans and the widows, so that in every community they will have all they need to eat.”

The above quoted passages clearly tell us what tithe is and the reason why God directed the people of Israel to pay tithes. It is very evident that it was a social arrangement for the less privileged in the Jewish society of that time. It was also meant to take care of the Levites because they had no land or property of their own (today, pastors are amongst the wealthiest property owners in Nigeria). This social arrangement is obviously not relevant to us today. It also states that every third year is the year of tithing, not the weekly/monthly tithes being extorted from church members today.

Another passage illustrates the true meaning of tithes properly and also states clearly that tithe is not money. Deuteronomy 14:22-29 says: “Set aside as tithe a tenth of all that your fields produce each year then go to the one place where the Lord your God has chosen to be worshipped and there in his presence eat the tithes of your grain, wine and olive oil and first born of your cattle and sheep. Do this so that you may learn to have reverence for the Lord your God always. If the place of worship is too far from your home for you to carry there the tithe of the produce that the Lord has blessed you with, then sell your produce and take the money with you to the one place of worship, spend it on whatever you want ,beef, lamb, wine, beer and there in the presence of the lord you and your family are to eat and enjoy yourselves. Do not neglect the Levites who live in your towns for they have no property of their own. At the end of every third year, bring the tithe of all your crops and store it in your towns. This is food for the Levites since they own no property and for the orphans, foreigners and widows who live in your towns. Do this and the lord your God would bless you in everything you do.”

From the above passage, it is very clear that tithe is not money and it is not the exclusive preserve of the Levites (church). It was a religious practice in those days to give reverence to God and to celebrate God in his place of worship. The Levites were only included for the main reason that they had no land of their own and that reason is not relevant in today’s society. Yet some pastors would tell you that you are cursed and would not go to heaven if you don’t give them 10 per cent of your gross income. All this hypocrisy would not have bothered me if all the money being collected was being used to propagate God’s work. But the truth as we all know today is that this money is being used to finance lavish, flamboyant and exotic lifestyle that is unbecoming of a man who truly claims to serve God, as a pastor who is expected to be meek and humble like our Lord Jesus Christ was.

As a concluding part to this article, I would want to refer us to the book of Hebrews, which was written to the early Christians. This provides irrefutable proof that Christians are not meant to pay tithes as the priesthood of our Lord Jesus Christ does not require it.

Hebrews 7:5, says: “And those descendants of Levites who are priests are commanded by the law to collect one tenth from the people of Israel, that is from their own countrymen even though their countrymen are also descendants of Abraham.”

From this verse, we can jump to verses 11-13 which say: “It was on the basis of the Levitical priesthood that the law was given to the people of Israel. Now, if the work of the Levitical priests had been perfect there would be no need for a different kind of priest to appear, one who is in the priestly order of Melchizedek not of Aaron. For when the priesthood is changed, there also has to be a change in the law. And our Lord of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe of Judah and Moses did not mention his tribe when he spoke of priests.”

The above passage is self-explanatory and it states clearly that the practice of tithing has no place under the priestly order of our Lord Jesus Christ. In fact, the passage suggests that the collection of tithes is belittling of the priestly order of our Lord Jesus Christ. It states that it is wrong for us as Christians to receive or pay tithes and is not relevant to us as Christians because we belong to a superior priestly order.

Once again, I would like to state that this article is not meant for us as Christians to revolt against the church or our pastors. It is just meant to establish the biblical truth about tithes and remove the yoke from people who labour to pay tithes–not required of them by God–while their pastors are living luxuriously. Today, many pastors see the church as their personal business and even fraudulent people are opening up churches so that they can have access to people’s tithes and use it for their personal comfort. I encourage all of us as Christians to remain vigilant and continue to serve God in truth and in faith to the glory of his holy name. Amen.

Another point of note is: how come out of the 613 biblical laws of Moses which were handed out to the people of Israel, it is only an adulterated version of the law of tithe that is still being practised today, apart from the Ten Commandments? How come we are no longer required to offer burnt sacrifices? How come we no longer stone people to death for sinning? The truth is that only tithing was dug out of the laws of Moses because it presents material benefits to the collectors of tithes. Given that most Christians do not study their bibles and depend on their priests to guide them through, it was easy for pastors to pick a passage in the bible (Malachi 3 : 8-10), quote it out of context and use it to manipulate the flock into parting with 10 per cent of their income. Furthermore, it is worthy of note that neither Jesus Christ nor any of the apostles ever preached about or collected tithe. In fact, in the bible, Jesus Christ only spoke about tithes in Luke 11:42 which states that: “But woe unto you Pharisees! For ye tithe mint and rue all manner of herbs, and pass over judgement and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.” Here we can see that Jesus Christ is rebuking the Pharisees for laying emphasis on tithes instead of the more important things of the spirit, like our pastors are doing today.

In Acts 15, we find outlined what the apostles all agreed was necessary for the newly converted Gentiles to practise, and by inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, tithing is conspicuously missing. Yet, what is one of the very first legislated duties taught to Gentile converts by the Church today? It is that they must tithe their annual salaries to the Church. Where did this unscriptural law of Christian tithing come from?

Notice this telling bit of history from the Encyclopaedia Britannica (1963, volume 22, page 253, ‘TITHES’). “Tithes in Christendom—The earliest authentic example of anything like a law of the State enforcing payment appears to occur in the capitularies [Ecclesiasticals] of Charlemagne at the end of the 8th or beginning of the 9th century. Tithes were, by that enactment, to be applied to the maintenance of the bishop, clergy, the poor, and the fabric of the church. In the course of time the principle of payment of tithes was extended far beyond its original intention. Thus, they became transferable to laymen and saleable like ordinary property, despite the injunctions of the third Lateran Council; and they became payable out of sources of income [not just farming and herding, but other trades and occupations and salaries paid in the form of money] not originally tithable.”

The Catholic Church knows its own history. Here is how tithing got back into the Church after being absent for nearly five centuries:

“As the Church expanded and various institutions arose, it became necessary to make laws which would insure the proper and permanent support of the clergy. The payment of tithes was adopted from the Old Law… The earliest positive legislation on the subject seems to be contained in the letter of the bishops assembled at Tours in 567 and the [canons] of the Council of Macon in 585.”—The Catholic Encyclopaedia.

They “extended” their base of tithe collecting to eventually include all forms of income. All Christian scholars know that although money was in wide use in ancient Israel, it was never a titheable commodity. But modern pastors don’t want tithes of goats or oil or corn, they want money–cold, hard cash! God has a word to the “shepherds of the sheep”, and it is the very same message that He had for the Levites in the book of Malachi. And it is this:

“My people have been lost sheep, their shepherds have caused them to go astray” (Jer. 50:6).

Were Israelites aware that they were being led astray by their spiritual leaders? Not most, and neither are Christians today aware that they are being led astray by their spiritual leaders
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by mystikal(m): 6:16pm On Aug 18, 2009
my friend. Tithing is not cumpolsory its a choice and some ppl r comfortable with it. besides that was not the essence of this thread. The poster has already made up his mind 2 pay 'em and his asking for the best way how!
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by richkids1(m): 6:20pm On Aug 18, 2009
yes,
it is because As much as you keep paying god will keep on providing for your needs
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by richkids1(m): 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2009
but i can pay to branches of my church only
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by U1(m): 6:39pm On Aug 18, 2009
Make una look at this people o. Tithe is advisable but not forceful. It doesn't have to be 10%, it could be less or more since you are required to give cheerfully and not to give grudgingly just because you want to pay tithe. If by any means you pay the 10% just because you are instructed to and not because you wanted to, I'm sorry your reward may not be much. I think I'm right.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by mantraa: 7:31pm On Aug 18, 2009
Maybe you should ask your pastor the next time you attend church. I will be interested to know what his answer will be.

"If everyone gave their tithes to secular charity organisations, or other churches, this church will not survive" is my guess
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by qblaze(m): 7:37pm On Aug 18, 2009
I pay my tithes to a Shuwa Arab call girl that is saving to get into Unilag. It's my contribution to the society.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by zmurda(m): 7:56pm On Aug 18, 2009
I know you christians would argue that tithing is good. I think I find it to be double standard when pastors suddenly believe 'tithing' which is an Old Testament thing is suddenly acceptable, but they won't agree to sacrificing goats and yams like Ogun worshippers.
My favourite answers to tithing is show me in the new testament where it was told you should tithe. Also, why don't church leaders want to pay taxes?
Coming back to your question, I think paying tithe to churches are as wrong as things come. You could give it to the motherless babies, homeless or even to me if you are bereft of ideas. MY neighbourhood pub doesn't mind where the money comes from.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by EPOMA(m): 8:41pm On Aug 18, 2009
UNA DON START THIS TITHE TALK AGAIN, PLEASE ANYBODY THAT WANT TO CONTRIBUTE TO BUYING PRIVATE JETS FOR THEIR PASTOR , MAKE THEY CONTINUE AS THEM DEY READ THE BACK PAGES OF THEIR BIBLE. MAKE WE DISCUSS OTHER THINGS ABEG, THIS HAS BEEN VISITED BEFORE IN THIS FORUM
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by safariman(m): 8:50pm On Aug 18, 2009
My friend goes to a Church that provides envelope with his name on it every Sunday for offering and tithing and if he misses Church, the envelope piles up, From that, I gather or believe his Church requires him to tithe whether he is present or not.

@Poster,
Why don't you ask your Pastor of your own Church
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by SEFAGO(m): 9:02pm On Aug 18, 2009
I pay my tithes to a Shuwa Arab call girl that is saving to get into Unilag. It's my contribution to the society.

And i am sure you are getting somethin in return if you know what i mean wink
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by kelao: 10:01pm On Aug 18, 2009
[center]ON TITHES AND OFFERINGS[/center]

TITHING first appears in the Holy Bible in Genesis 14:20 in connection with Abraham and Melchizedek. Abraham, though not yet living under the Law, for the Law was given under Moses, paid tithes to Melchizedek, and was offered the very first communion of bread and wine. The Hebrew word for TITHES is MAASER, and for OFFERINGS, it is MINCHAH.

OFFERINGS first appear in the Scriptures in Genesis 4:4-5. The Lord gives us a wonderful example in the lives of Cain and Abel in the area of bringing their OFFERINGS unto the Lord. But we've seen that even though both children brought offerings unto the Lord, God had pleasure in Abel's offering because it was done in the spirit of revelation.
In Ephesians 5:10 we are told that, we should be at all times, "Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord". We do need to know and understand what is required and pleasing to our Lord, and what is displeasing to Him, in order that we might think, say and do what is good, acceptable, and perfect according to the will of God (see: Romans 12:1-2). Second Corinthians 1:20 says that all God's promises are "Yes" in Christ. So the blessings promised to the giver in the Old Testament, such as Malachi 3:10, are still available and valid for us Christians until today.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TITHES AND OFFERINGS

There is, however, a difference between TITHES and OFFERINGS, not only in language but most especially in spirit. A TITHE means "ten percent of all benefits that come our way, such as, our salary, inheritance, gifts and even the interest one might earn on bank accounts, etc." While OFFERINGS is over and above our ten percent TITHE. By this I mean, that once you have responded in the area of your TITHES, now you have the freedom to graciously give your MINCHAH (OFFERING) as you are directed and made aware of by The Spirit of God as to the particular need or needs, that are presented to you through your congregation, church, or fellowship.
Please remember that both the TITHES and OFFERINGS need to be given in your congregation or church where you attend, "Bring ye all the TITHES into the storehouse", and wait for God’s blessings.

First Corinthians 9:14 says those who preach the Gospel should live from the Gospel "even so" as the priests of the Old Testament lived from their temple service. God gave the tithe to them (Numbers 18:21). To be "even so" today requires tithing to continue.

1 CORINTHIANS 9:13-14 NKJ -"Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel."

NUMBERS 18:21 NKJ-"Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the work which they perform, the work of the tabernacle of meeting."

We tithe because we have a personal financial responsibility to our church. We have a pastor who tend to our needs and the management of our church and they need to be able to live, too.
“Woe unto him that buildeth his house by unrighteousness, and his chambers by wrong; that useth his neighbour's service without wages, and giveth him not for his work;” (Jeremiah 22:13)
A BLESSING AND A CURSE

The Lord promises you in Malachi 3:10 that He will "open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it".
In the New Testament we read in Luke 6:38 , that when you are obedient to The Word of God in your TITHES and OFFERINGS, then you should expect an abundance of blessings; "Give and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again". The Lord God Himself will bless you as you are obedient in word and in deed in bringing cheerfully your TITHES and OFFERINGS unto the LORD our God.
Therefore, as you TITHE, the Almighty God promises to likewise bless you; on the other hand, if you do not, then you are ROBBING God. The end result is recorded in the Holy Writ, "Ye are cursed with a curse".

Malachi 3:8-11 states this:

8 Will a man rob God ? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9 Ye [are] cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, [even] this whole nation.
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that [there shall] not [be room] enough [to receive it].
11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.
12 And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.
I don't know about you, but I want to be blessed of God as often as possible, and not cursed. It's up to you, whether you will be totally obedient or disobedient.
As we know, “robbery” is the act of taking something that does not belong to you. God specifically used the term “robbery” in Malachi to show that the tithe (which means a tenth) belongs to Him. We must understand that God is the owner of this earth, and everything on it belongs to Him. “The earth is the Lord's, and all its fullness, The world and those who dwell therein” (Psa. 24:1).

Elsewhere, the Bible says, “The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine, says the LORD of hosts” (Hag. 2:cool. Before we become possessive about the treasures of this world, let us first remember that He created this planet and everyone on it, and even though Satan holds a temporary dominion through sin (2 Cor. 4:4), the earth still belongs to God. As a result of your obedience unto The Almighty God, here is a beautiful promise that is extremely wonderful and full of grace found in Malachi chapter three and verse eleven:
"And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field; saith the Lord of Hosts".
A TEST OF OBEDIENCE, STEWARDSHIP AND DISCIPLINE
Unfortunately, many Christians TODAY misunderstand the idea of tithing. They often think of it as giving a tenth from “their own” property to God. However, in reality it is God that has done the giving to us, and claims the return of only 10% of His own property. Tithing is not taking a tenth of our own money and giving it to God, but it is returning a tenth of what was already His to begin with.
The scripture says,“But who am I, and who are my people, That we should be able to offer so willingly as this? For all things come from You, And of Your own we have given You” (1 Chron. 29:14). God is so generous to us. He gives us the 90% and retains only 10% of what is rightfully His.

Tithing is a test of our stewardship over the property of God, a test of our honesty to return to God what is rightfully His, a test of our obedience to do what He told us to do, and a test of our love and desire to please Him with our lives. Tithing is a demonstration that we believe in God, and that we acknowledge that He is the provider of all material blessings. If you haven’t the faith to believe that the tithe belongs to the Lord, neither can you have faith in Him to meet your financial needs. After all, if you don’t believe that the tenth is His, you must not believe that the whole earth is His either. Without that confidence in His supremacy, there could be no confidence in His ability to provide our needs.

God asks for our tithes because He knows that money is one of man’s most significant stumbling blocks. Greed and fear force us to hold tightly to our money. Many people worship money and will do whatever it takes to get it and keep it. When we are able to freely and joyfully give our money to God, we achieve a freedom like no other. Our obedience in financial stewardship reveals a maturity of character that God treasures. When we honor Him with our financial obedience, He blesses us. “And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Malachi 3:12) (For understanding, read Malachi 3-10-18)

Some claim they can’t afford to pay their tithes. But let me ask, “Can you afford to be cursed? Can you afford to not have God’s blessings and protection over your finances? Can you afford to be considered a thief or robber of God’s property? Or can you afford to be a person who does not obey the Word of God?” The fact is, you cannot afford not to pay your tithes, because this is the principle that God has chosen to bless you!

Another person once asked, “Why does God need my tithe?” In answer to this question, He really doesn’t need your money or anyone else’s. Remember, God is the owner of the whole universe and all its wealth. However, He has chosen to use your tithes and offerings for the expenses of maintaining “spiritual meat” in His house (Mal. 3:10). On the first day of the week you are to bring your tithes and offerings to the “storehouse” of your Church where you are spiritually fed (1 Cor. 16:2). How important it is that we are faithful in our tithes and offerings, as this is God’s method of funding the preaching of His Word and the spreading of the Gospel (1 Cor. 9:13-14).

As a christian you need to pay your tithes to the church and not charity,foundations e.t.c
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by daddee: 12:12am On Aug 19, 2009
If where to pay tithes matters, I would rather choose to pay it (fifty-fifty) to the church I was attending as a kid/adolescent (because that is where I got my foundation laid) and the church I worship now. If my foundation had not been strong, maybe i wouldn't be what I am now (It is not me but Christ). I have noticed that most people prefer to pay it to the church where they worship and totally forget where they came from. Yes it is the same God but I personally believe in paying it to my church in the village or take it to motherless homes/charity. Where I worship now has a central AC installed while back home, they can't afford a good keyboard/organ/piano.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by EPOMA(m): 1:28am On Aug 19, 2009
@Keloa
Tithe is not 10 percent of your profit and your salary is not a profit. You quoted a place in Corinthians

1 Corinthians 16

1Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

I like this because Paul talks about collection for the saints but not Tithe, one can give towards a pastor or running the Church but not 10 percent that you guys call Tithe and why have you added spiritual to food, Food in the bible is food, end of story.The Bible even tells us that if we want to pay Tithe and we can not carry it , we should convert it to money until we reach where we want to tithe and then convert it back to food.It is just a Shame that Many Pastors that we see in God Chanels or Television today are all begging for money or for someone to buy a book from them and they now expect the viewers or unbelievers to take them seriously
Two questions I have for the Pastors and Tithers

1) How come Jehovah witness with all the books they Give out and networking that they have , they don't beg for money

2)With all this money begging in the Church, How come Islam is still the fastest growing religion in the World That it even shakes the western world and they don't Beg for money.

Alot of churches now bears the name of the pastors with pictures of their wives(.org). What will happen to those churches when they die in future, every body wants to have a ministry that they can make money from. I think we should just fix our head up
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by jingoma(m): 5:00am On Aug 19, 2009
In this day and age it is amazing how Many "MUGUS" are on earth!. Even the people that brought this so called religion to Africa did not advocate Tithes @ 10% of your income. I attended one of these "New Generation" churches in London and to my surprise when the collection plates were going around the pastors wife was announcing that "WE accept Mastercard and VISA!!, HABA!! So if you dont have enough money they want you to charge your tithe and pay interest? Wow!. Dont forget that the same people that brought Christianity are the same ones that provided the Kings(Oba's)etc with wine,liquor and guns to expand their empires so that they can trade for more with slaves. It was eye opening to Barack Obama when he visited the so called Point of no return in Ghana that right above the cellar that had no ventilation or humane ammenties for the captured slaves was a CHURCH that the missionaries worshipped in while the slaves cries could be heard below. Africa has the largest growing Christain population yet it is the most jacked up continent on earth. Nigeria based on the number of churches per square area praying everyday should be the most prosperous country in the world but NA LIE all of them be thief. Most Baba Alawos stand a better chance of entering Heaven B4 most of these pastors. Christianity is how you live your life "Do unto others as you wish them to do to you" Help the needy when you can and good will come to you,DONT BE A MUGU giving your life savings to some pastor who is living the life with your MONEY!
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by dammiedot(m): 7:24am On Aug 19, 2009
payint tithe aint compulsory, but dnt complain wen u c dos dat payin der tithes progressing
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by gbubs: 9:28am On Aug 19, 2009
[/quote]1) How come Jehovah witness with all the books they Give out and networking that they have , they don't beg for money

2)With all this money begging in the Church, How come Islam is still the fastest growing religion in the World That it even shakes the western world and they don't Beg for money[quote]

Jehovah witness begs for money, there was a time they gave me their mag which used to be free and asked for money, i told them i dint have anything on me then and guess what? the guy collected the mag back! maybe he is a hungry one but as far as am concerned, he represents Jehovah witness,

Please can you back up your claim about Islam being the fastest growing religion in the world? and if its true its probably because the human race is violent and Islam promotes violence,
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by yemilois(f): 10:09am On Aug 19, 2009
i am really entertained seeing how little issues like this can throw up so much upheaval in christiandom. what is the issue in question? paying tithe or what percentage to pay or to whom to pay or what church to pay or what branch to pay? its really so amazing. if those that call themselves christians read their bible this wont be an issue for contest cos it is very clear what to do on this issue. the rich GO have their anwers with God not man. tithe i believe is a test of your obedience to God cos if God wants to enrich His church He will do it without your miserable 10% afterall He made the whole world without your assistance so what do you think your 10% does to Him. whatever you chose to believe and do i want you to remember that christainity is between you and your God and you have no right whatsoever to judge the GO or whoever they are. they have their path with God and you will answer befor God not GO. if Jehovah witness does not ask for money that is to say that they work tirelessly to promote a course they believe, what do you believe? if islam is the fastest growing religion that means they stake their lives for a course they believe in so what do you believe in.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Tonyet1(m): 10:19am On Aug 19, 2009
Oh my God, so Chukwudi your knowledge of God(titheing to be more precised) is simply based on what KunleOshod and co. says about it,Oh! what a pity.

Now i know why you dont even have proof to any biblical issues, but rather tend to mudsling each time a truth is told to you, and you idea of exhuming saints of the catholic church even makes your posts all the more pathetic

Sorry o! its a pity grin grin
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by chukz4real(m): 10:24am On Aug 19, 2009
gbubs:

Jehovah witness begs for money, there was a time they gave me their mag which used to be free and asked for money, i told them i dint have anything on me then and guess what? the guy collected the mag back! maybe he is a hungry one but as far as am concerned, he represents Jehovah witness,

Please can you back up your claim about Islam being the fastest growing religion in the world? and if its true its probably because the human race is violent and Islam promotes violence,

Seconded!

All things worketh for good to them that ,

Its a thing of the mind, I pay my tithe to the Church I gained my salvation and breakthrough which happens to be far away in the North while I am currently working down South - South. Hmmm, the church has no branches down here and I hardly attend services because my work demands me working 7 days a week; from 7am to whenever, sometimes 10pm. Nevertheless, I attend services whenever am chanced 8pm on Sundays which is quite rare though! I have been having pressures to paying my tithe to the church a greater number of my siblings attend, but,, would that entail paying morre than the 10% or splitting the meagre 10% into two equal parts or? Well, as a mortal being that I am, just following my mind and doin things my own way,
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by pek(m): 10:26am On Aug 19, 2009
most of you are missing the point here. he attends diferent churches due to the nature of his job. so, i think it is wise he gives to God in all thes churches.or, he can revolve it month.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by adex4all: 10:34am On Aug 19, 2009
Its not ok paying ur Tithes in different churches,atleast you must hav a church u are devoted to.ur tithes should be paid there,
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by ayobase(m): 11:21am On Aug 19, 2009
Just make sure that it is a church where
the name of God is called in spirit and in truth.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:47am On Aug 19, 2009
@OP,

What I can say is to give your tithes to God in the storehouse you are being fed regularly with heavenly manna and you will be blessed with an open heaven as the Lord has promised. Consider the weighty matters that Jesus spoke about in the article below.

Weighty Matters
by Henry Morris III, D.Min.

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (Matthew 23:23)

This particular "woe" among the eight in Matthew 23 is often only partially proclaimed. Usually, sermons are delivered about the "judgment, mercy, and faith" that are indeed the "weightier matters of the law"--[/i]but Christ’s somewhat offhand remark on the responsibility to tithe is either ignored or downplayed.

Surely the legalistic and public display of [i]"obedience"
to the law is condemned by Jesus. He rebuked these same men for their desire to show their spirituality. "Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men" (Matthew 6:2). But Jesus also said in our text that they "ought . . . to have done" the tithing of their wealth.

The condemnation is that this kind of hypocrite seeks only his name in a bulletin, or a plaque on a wall, or a brick in a walkway, or a wing in a hospital or museum, and is indifferent to the quiet, background work of ministry that doles out judgment, mercy, and faith.

Jesus measures "weightier matters" this way: "I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me" (Matthew 25:35-36). "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matthew 25:40).

If we wish to honour and please our Lord, He expects us to do both: faithful tithes and offerings, and judgment, mercy, and faith. HMM III
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 19, 2009
Tithe is the most abused practised in christianity today and perhaps the most suuccssful heresy since the demise of the arian heresy.

About the definition of tithes,people have erronously defined tithes as beign the one-tenth of a persons income,since is a far cry from the authentic definition of tithes as given in Det 14 :22-29

Youn must set aside a tithe-one tenth of all the crops you harvest each year.bring this tithe to the place the lord your God choses for his name to be honoured and eat it there in his presence.
This applies to the tithes of your grain,new wine,olive oil and firstborn males of your flocks and herds.The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to fear the lord your God.
Now the place the lord your God choses for his name to be honoured might be a long way from home.If so you may sell a tithe portion of you crops and herds and take the money to the place the lord choses for his name to be honoured.When you arrive use the money to buy anything you want -an ox,a sheep,some wine or beer.Then feast there in the presence of the lord your God and celebrate with your household.And do not forget the levites in your community for they have no inheritance as you do.

At end of every third year bring the titheof all your crops and store it in the nearest town give it to the levites who have no inheritance among you as well as the foreigners living among you,the orphans and the widows in your towns so they can eat and be satisfied.

1 Obviously this tithe law never involved money

2 was never paid,monthly,weekly or daily,but rather was paid annually (for tither to feast with himself and household) or every third year (for levites,oprphans and widows)

When Prophet Malachi was speakiing in malachi 3:10 ,he was not speaking of a new law but was rather referig to this law earlier given to moses.It must be noted that the jewish laws no longer applies to us christians,since the book of heb7:18

Yes the old requirement about the law was set aside because it was weak and useless for the law made nothing perfect and now a better hepe has taken its place.

also in 2 cor 3:11

So if the old covenant which has been set aside was full of glory ,then the new covenant which remains forever has far greater glory

ephe 2 :15
By his death he ended the whole system of the jewish law that excluded the gentiles.

This verses proves to us that the jewish law is now obsolete and does not longer apply to us christians.St paul goes further to warn those who persists in practisng the jewish law in gal 5:3-4

I ll say it again if you are trying to find favour with God by being circumcised ,you must obey all regulations in the law of moses for if you are trying to make yourselfs right with God by keeping the law you have been cut off from christ ,you have fallen away from God's grace.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 19, 2009
@ oladegbu

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (Matthew 23:23

The boldened part of these quotation says it all tithe was part of the now obolete jewis law.When Jesus made that state ment tithing was still valid and even then it never in volved money .Burnt offerings was still offered at at the time Jesus was still living in this world are you saying we can continue offering burnt offerings too ?remember even cain,Abel,Noah and Abraham also offered burnt offering long before moses.

In luke 2 23-24

The law of the Lord says If a woman first child is a boy ,he must be dedicated to the Lord.So they offered a sacrifice according to what was required in the law of the Lord-"either a pair of turtle doves or two young pigeons"

Are you saying we should also continue with this practise ?

Mind you if you fail to fulfil any portion of the jewish law you have failed the whole law and stands the risk of the law as was explained in Gal 3 :10-13
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Tonyet1(m): 1:28pm On Aug 19, 2009
@chukwudi44,

who says tithe is part of the jewish law, it was a standard/concept/priniciple/custom that existed b4 the advent of the law(jewish law) and was only included into the mosaic law showing how it ought to be administered if they must be blessed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alert: Satan Has Poured Out Spirit Of Witchcraft, Heavily. Step Up Your Prayer / Kola Nut Prayer: Effective Ritual You Never Know That Exists / Mbaka Blasts Ekweremadu: Says He's Suffering Political 'Quary Gada Quary Gada'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.