Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,353 members, 7,780,946 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:06 AM

Why Women Make Better Writers: - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Women Make Better Writers: (3600 Views)

7 Biggest Mistakes Women Make Before Getting Married! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Women Make Better Writers: by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 17, 2009
YEes, many guys cos of thier ego wil say "PLEASEEEEE"" when they read this but seriously its true,
i think it is becuase they are more sentimental and are vry emotional. they are up to details and take thier time to get things right,
well, its what i think,
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by SisiJinx: 11:01pm On Aug 17, 2009
Lmao! Seriously, you gotta tell me what your daily quota is.

@ Topic
I agree!!!!
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by slap1(m): 1:17pm On Aug 18, 2009
Back your claim with examples; don't just spit it out like pppuuu!!! & expect us to reply just like that! For real, I love this post,it calls for debate. Just give few examples to back your claim and get ready for the counter. However, I disagree with you.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by ravenzord(m): 5:46pm On Aug 20, 2009
I beg 2 disagree. . . 4 every good female writer I'm sure I can name 2 male writers.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 20, 2009
good writing isnt gender specific.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by MadMax1(f): 6:06pm On Aug 22, 2009
@post
Disagree. Good writers,bad writers, no gender in between. But, for the sake of argument, name any female Nigerian writer that's written anything half as good as The Famished Road by Ben Okri.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by OnoEdosio(m): 9:01pm On Aug 30, 2009
True women make better writers especially in the romantic arts.A lady has a clearer view of the whole scenery while men(majority) are not willingly to stop to take a closer look before concluding.I know what Im saying cos ladies are intricate masterpieces themselves so whatelse do u xpect from a great work of art if not an appreciative audience?
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by semid4lyfe(m): 3:58am On Sep 02, 2009
Na wa o! Nairalander's and their love of sexist threads.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by maedan(f): 1:40pm On Sep 02, 2009
I hesitate to say this, but I believe men actually make better writers, perhaps because of the way they look at things. Also, most of the best books, plus most classics of literature, were written by men. It's just their level of thinking and also, due probably to their status as the "stronger" sense. Being feminine, we ladies tend to think with our hearts where men would use their brains alone. Just a few of my deductions ok. My favourite writer is a female though, for what it's worth.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 04, 2009
[b]I have never been published, but I am currently passing my work through three international editors. 2 women, and one male.
The women are wonderful writers, one published, the other aspiring;
but they tend to over-color a scenery or imagery with too much emotion to a point of trivilization.
Most men I know are rather vividly poor or good. Dean Koontz is spooky. James Patterson is Funky. Jonathan Kellerman is Twisted. John Grishman is too unrealistic, yet very entertaining. Lawrence Sanders is too Sleeky. Robert B. Parker, too suave, yet Indepthful. John Sandford, too wack.
When it comes to the female, I swear I have tried very hard to get pass the first 10 chapters and try to pretend im reading a male work, but they keep choking me with these innuedos and exaggeratde use of pathos and feelings. Only Barbara Delinsky seems to have done something most havent accomplished. Even Nora Roberts didnt pass this hard test. I wish someone here could recommend some great female writers. So far, I can only scratch my head while I frown. And please dont mention J.K. Rowlings![/b]
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by Nobody: 1:37am On Sep 05, 2009
@aasog

but they tend to over-color a scenery or imagery with too much emotion to a point of trivilization.

I kinda agree. It's frustrating reading a book and two pages after it's just the description of a particular feeling. "We get it, James is sad, haba undecided." Years ago I could swallow them in, but these days I've got no patience for such.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by AngelAtta: 2:53pm On Sep 06, 2009
I use to think women make better writers, but after Reading Toni Kan's Nights of the Creaking Bed, I have to change my mind and say writing is not gender specific. It is about the talent of the person and their ability to evoke emotions. Toni Kan is able to get inside the head of a woman and write in a feminine voice. This is a delightful collection and I look forward to his next book. The opening line of the book is the most memorable in the history of African literature. Go check it out.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by Bossbitch(f): 3:15pm On Sep 06, 2009
@ aasog. . . i think ur right about female writers exaggerating feelings. . . it gets quite annoying esp nora roberts. . . all her books seems to have the same story line. . . all mushy romance. . . i think u should try julie garwood tho. . . i like her. . . she's good
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by africhika(f): 5:08pm On Sep 07, 2009
@ poster, i disagree. this is a stereotype that i find annoying. to be a good writer, yes, you need to be somewhat in touch with your feelings. but that is not a gender-specific trait.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by MadMax1(f): 9:39pm On Sep 08, 2009
aasog:

[b]I have never been published, but I am currently passing my work through three international editors. 2 women, and one male.
The women are wonderful writers, one published, the other aspiring; but they tend to over-color a scenery or imagery with too much emotion to a point of trivilization.Most men I know are rather vividly poor or good. Dean Koontz is spooky. James Patterson is Funky. Jonathan Kellerman is Twisted. John Grishman is too unrealistic, yet very entertaining. Lawrence Sanders is too Sleeky. Robert B. Parker, too suave, yet Indepthful. John Sandford, too wack.When it comes to the female, I swear I have tried very hard to get pass the first 10 chapters and try to pretend im reading a male work, but they keep choking me with these innuedos and exaggeratde use of pathos and feelings. Only Barbara Delinsky seems to have done something most havent accomplished. Even Nora Roberts didnt pass this hard test. I wish someone here could recommend some great female writers. So far, I can only scratch my head while I frown. And please dont mention J.K. Rowlings![/b]

Why shouldn't they mention J'K Rawlings? Isn't she a good female writer? Writing abilities have no gender . People complain about female writers being mushy; but that's because the mentioned writers write romance. Your language is depends on what kind of book you're writing. You can't read romance after romance and complain of emotional language or whatever.There are thrillers, horror, espionage,war, fantasy, science fiction, westerns, adventure, romance, but people are talking of female romance writers as if romance is the only genre in which women write. There are female Nobel, booker and pulitzer prize winners,are they writing romance and mushy novels? For commerical fiction there's Anne Rice, Patricia Cornwell, P.D James, and many many other quality women writers.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 09, 2009
aasog:

The women are wonderful writers, one published, the other aspiring;
Most men I know are rather vividly poor or good. Dean Koontz is spooky. James Patterson is Funky. Jonathan Kellerman is Twisted. John Grishman is too unrealistic, yet very entertaining. Lawrence Sanders is too Sleeky. Robert B. Parker, too suave, yet Indepthful. John Sandford, too wack.
When it comes to the female, I swear I have tried very hard to get pass the first 10 chapters and try to pretend im reading a male work, but they keep choking me with these innuedos and exaggeratde use of pathos and feelings. Only Barbara Delinsky seems to have done something most havent accomplished. Even Nora Roberts didnt pass this hard test. I wish someone here could recommend some great female writers. So far, I can only scratch my head while I frown. And please dont mention J.K. Rowlings![/b]

true, women tend to use more emotional imagery than men, but which genres would you like to examine?
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by damosikoko: 4:03pm On Sep 09, 2009
the question we should ask ourself is what are the indices for qualifying this rather basless statement that women write better than men.
what we can say is that women read more than men and thus having the upper hand in the purchasing market, they can wield their weight by
gravitating towards what they like--books my females and such the publishers codify this message by publishing more female writers.abi?
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by ravenzord(m): 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ aasog: Try Sara Paretsky,very very good writer. Just finished reading one of her V.I Warshawski novels,it's a P.I series,and I know the idea of a female P.I is kinda funny,but her books are good.U can't help but like em, nd dere's none of that over description of feelings u talk about.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by Nobody: 7:29pm On Sep 10, 2009
well, they make the best romance writers. how many guys go into the detail of a romantic relationship, they just do not see the depth of it enough to put it into words,
science fictipn is for guys, drama, well, girls make it more indepth, detective stories? both but i still think they make the best writers as to the depth and pictures they paint in thier works.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by MyneWhite1(f): 9:01pm On Sep 10, 2009
I think I agree with post. Men are limited in what they write while women can write in all genres. Spooky, courtroom, thriller, romance, sci-fi, fantasy, literature, non-fiction you name it.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by africhika(f): 10:42pm On Sep 10, 2009
all common stereotypes tongue
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by okeymadu(m): 12:56pm On Sep 11, 2009
"well, its what i think"
That's just the answer to the question you asked, your last words " , well, its what I think" what you think does not necessarily mean what it is. Now to be more objective; look at the history of writers generally, what's the ratio of male:female writers? statistics show that males write more than females at least going by books published. Just look at a book stand and make a random conclusion. You made a good presupposition though.
Madu Okechukwu Emmanuel. smiley
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by IBOGIRL1: 6:35pm On Sep 11, 2009
Myne White:

I think I agree with post. Men are limited in what they write while women can write in all genres. Spooky, courtroom, thriller, romance, sci-fi, fantasy, literature, non-fiction you name it.
. yeah myne, i think u're right women can write in all genres and because of thier emotional nature, they tend 2 paint livid scenarios. checkout danielle steel or our very own chinamanda Adiche and u will understand, this 2 okey. grin grin grin
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by iice(f): 1:25pm On Sep 13, 2009
@Topic, of course i disagree grin
I prefer books written by men.
Example.  . .Patricia Cornwell and Jonathan Kellerman write in the same genre.  Have similar story 'frame' but after reading one Patricia Cornwell book, it didn't do it for me the way Kellerman does it for me.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by queenesthr(f): 2:38pm On Dec 14, 2009
Women don't make better writers.

In fact I've stopped reading novels written by women - Patricia Cornwell, Nora Roberts, Jackie Collins. I still manage to read Danielle Steel and Judith Kranz but they just do not do it for me as well as men.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by Ifez: 3:21pm On Dec 14, 2009
We should probably compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges.

@Poster:

To back up your claim, you should have listed the various genres and provided male vs. female authors in those genres with at least one title per author for direct comparison.

We have to compare Best sellers in the same genres for the male and female authors, so as to come to a non-biased and fair conclusion.

E.g.  (If you have favorite authors and titles for the genres below, feel free to supply them.)

Children's books: Enid Blyton, Female, (Malory Towers series) vs. CS Lewis, Male, (The Chronicles of Narnia series)

Christian: Francine Rivers, Female (Bleep series) vs. Ted Dekker, Male, (The Circle Trilogy series)

Faction: Bleep xxxx, Female, (Bleep series) vs. Dan Brown, Male, (The Da Vinci Code)

Street Fiction: Bleep xxxx, Female, (Bleep series) vs. James Hadley Chase, Male, (Tom Lepski series)

Romance: Penny Jordan, Female, (Mills and Boon series) vs. Bleep xxxx, Male (Bleep series)

Fantasy: JK Rowling, Female, (Harry Potter series) vs. JRR Tolkien, Male (Lord of the Rings series)

Horror: Anne Rice, Female (The Vampire Chronicles series) vs. Stephen King, Male, (Pet Semetary)

Chick Lit: Jackie Collins, Female (Hollywood series) vs. Bleep xxxx, Male (Bleep series)

Thriller: Bleep Bleep, Female, (Bleep series) vs. Dean Koontz, Male, (Frankenstein series)

Science Fiction: Bleep Bleep, Female, (Bleep series) vs. Micheal Crichton, Male (Jurrasic Park series)

Legal Thrillers: Bleep xxxx, Female, (Bleep series) vs. John Grisham, Male, (The Client)

Young Adult: Stephanie Meyer, Female, (Twilight series), vs. Bleep xxxx, Male, (Bleep series)

Organized Crime: Bleep xxxx, Female, (Bleep series) vs. Mario Puzo, Male, (The Godfather)

Literature: Bleep xxxx, Female, (Bleep series) vs. George Orwell, Male, (Animal Farm)

African Series: Chimamanda Adichie, Female, (Half of a Yellow Sun) vs. Chinua Achebe, Male, (Things Fall Apart)

Military: Bleep Bleep, Female, (Bleep series) vs. Tom Clancy, Male, The Hunt for Red October

Non-Fiction:

Drama:

Text Books:

Poetry:

Journals:

Newspaper Columns:

Etc, etc.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by Nobody: 6:28am On Dec 15, 2009
^interesting list

dont forget

mystery-agatha christie vs arthur conan doyle

adventure- margaret kaye(?) vs rudyard kipling

historical fiction- margaret mitchel [gone with the wind] vs charles dickens [a tale of two cities]

ava would fall under young adult, historical fiction or adventure- dont know which female author I'd compare him with.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by larablog: 7:02pm On May 10, 2011
Sandra brown is a really good author, in fact she is one of my favorite.
her romantic suspense books are simply wonderful better than even some male authors.
check out Lisa Jackson also, i heard she is good.
for free e-books download check out my blog http://9jabookmania..com/
books from your favorite authors and they absolutely free.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by firestar(f): 1:09pm On May 11, 2011
Better? Well. . . I'm a woman yet I feel this isn't all about gender per se.

Every writer is their[i] own [/i] history. We, are entering into their world. That's how I feel.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by GL(f): 1:45am On May 12, 2011
i don't think women are better writers. maybe except in the romance genre, and then mostly because they write most of the romance books anyway.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by hazelle: 1:07am On May 14, 2011
I couldn't agree less. For a novel to be widely read and acceptable, it is supposed to portray enough emotions to envelope the reader in its story i.e to feel like you're the character in the book, to give the reader a clear imagination of events. For this to happen, an emotional and imaginative mind is required. The woman being the weaker of the two,possesses more of the emotional than the imaginative, leaving the man with the latter. Hence in her bid to spill out her emotions in her work, she produces a masterpiece.
Re: Why Women Make Better Writers: by Jayboy124: 12:23am On May 26, 2011
Guess you're talking about Mills and Boom, romance and all that. If that's what you're talking about, then you're very right.

But if you're talking about writing generally, then I'll have to disagree. There are surely great female writers but more than men, not quite sure.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Our Generation.. Nigeria Is Our Responsibility / Seun-osewa Short Stories Battle Registration Thread- Last Day / Nairaland Book Of The Month- Anike By Toyin Taiwo (rachealfst)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.