Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,220 members, 7,780,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:55 PM

Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? (26423 Views)

Can You Eat This Dried Tomatoes? / Dried Tomatoes For Sale !!! / N1000 Tomatoes That I Saw Today In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by NDdking: 9:23am On May 18, 2016
are u sure no be dry pepper d woman wan give u
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Hero10001: 9:23am On May 18, 2016
Inspite of everything happening to Nigeria, I shall rise again;
I will take up my pencil which I have forsaken in great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawings.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by 7508: 9:24am On May 18, 2016
Meanwhile, sundried tomatoes are a delicacy in Italy and many other parts of the world

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by guywitzerogal(m): 9:24am On May 18, 2016
How did she got d dry tomatoes when the fresh one s nt easy to get? Or s it spoil tomatoes?

1 Like

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by yakubuadeiza(m): 9:24am On May 18, 2016
Yea.....Its actually nice but there are usually bad ones among that can give your soup a dfft taste
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by acada111(f): 9:25am On May 18, 2016
Used it for the first time last week, didn't even know it existed till then. It's sold for N50 per pack.
Simply wash well with warm water and soak for about 30mins before use. Stew don ready o!!! cheesy
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by lovat(m): 9:26am On May 18, 2016
Joygalore:
Dried tomatoes

Weird undecided

Now,I see one of the reasons we've got sick people in that country called Nigeria angry
sorry you are wrong.

What are the ways of preservation of foods you know?

Drying tomatoes and peppers is another method of preserving it

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by jydeayanx: 9:26am On May 18, 2016
Toorh!
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by profmallory(m): 9:26am On May 18, 2016
Yea its not bad, better than canned tomato, but I miss my normal tomatoes o

1 Like

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by ALAYORMII: 9:27am On May 18, 2016
Melon don take over ooo

No time to check time
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by acada111(f): 9:29am On May 18, 2016
dominique:
I've been seeing the dried tomatoes in the markets recently, never used it before. I was told that if you soak the tomatoes in water properly before grinding, it's almost as good as fresh ones just that it darkens stew a bit.

True, it does.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Thunder04(m): 9:29am On May 18, 2016
it was my first chance of souped this ganja, ''called (dry tomato) . any way i blame it on fg.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by shilz(f): 9:30am On May 18, 2016
Soak before use,if u like thick stew u use it same day u soaked the tomato but if u like it light soak till next day n use.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by ismayl: 9:30am On May 18, 2016
favouredon:
With the recent scarcity of tomato, after going up and down without getting good fresh tomatoes to buy, one of the tomato sellers told me to buy dried ones which she now sells.

I want to know, has anyone tried using d dried tomato? How does it taste? How is it prepared? Is there any difference in colour, taste etc with the fresh one?

Your contributions are highly welcomed. Thank you.

use tin tomato
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by chukxy44(m): 9:32am On May 18, 2016
I got wind of it about two weeks ago and I tried it out, made sense and a lot cheaper. I simply added 200 naira worth of fresh tomato to it and a sachet of tomato paste and I made enough stew for the week.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by 4nobody4every1: 9:32am On May 18, 2016
cool
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Larryfest(m): 9:34am On May 18, 2016
Which one is dried tomatoes again?? I still tink d sachet one is ok thou.. But is there no solution 2dis scarcity?
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Nobody: 9:35am On May 18, 2016
lovat:
sorry you are wrong.

What are the ways of preservation of foods you know?

Drying tomatoes and peppers is another method of preserving it

U know, i don't understand how some people reason.
I 4gv her though, not everyone studied foods and nutrition at secondary school level.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Rexyl(m): 9:36am On May 18, 2016
it's difficult to dry tomatoes and in the process of drying healthy nutrients are greatly denatured. Dry pepper will be OK with tomato paste, not the other way
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by joseph1832(m): 9:37am On May 18, 2016
Sleekyshuga:
Dried tomatoes?

Like the fresh tomatoes, dried?

Hearing this for the first time..

A picture will do wink..

Yeah!! We resorted to Ofe Akwu now..
You know of dried Tatashe? I seem you know your way round the kitchen? I love a woman who's a master in Kitchen Kung Fu. smiley
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by lovat(m): 9:37am On May 18, 2016
Buddafly:

U know, i don't understand how some people reason.
I 4gv her though, not everyone studied foods and nutrition at secondary school level.
the painful thing is that she is a lady.

God help her future hubby

1 Like

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Disraelee: 9:38am On May 18, 2016
[quote author=favouredon post=45724890]With the recent scarcity of tomato, after going up and down without getting good fresh tomatoes to buy, one of the tomato sellers told me to buy dried ones which she now sells.

I want to know, has anyone tried using d dried tomato? How does it taste? How is it prepared? Is there any difference in colour, taste etc with the fresh one?

Your contributions are highly welcomed. Thank you. I am eating stew cooked with dried tomatoes
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by delishpot: 9:38am On May 18, 2016
Oliviaarims:
It's very weird! Never knew there was anything like dried tomatoes until this whole scarcity ish. Not sure I'll ever feel comfortable using that stuff to cook, though. Will just use the tin pureed ones instead!

Larryfest:
Which one is dried tomatoes again?? I still tink d sachet one is ok thou.. But is there no solution 2dis scarcity?

It is healthier than the tin one. If you care for your health, avoid the tin one. Instead when you see cheap Fresh tomatoes buy them and dry them and pack in airtight container. They are 100% better than the tin puree one.
We plan to dry tomatoes and pack them for plan family use in off season.

Rexyl:
it's difficult to dry tomatoes and in the process of drying healthy nutrients are greatly denatured. Dry pepper will be OK with tomato paste, not the other way

Not true, you can dry it naturally in a room with good ventilation and away from direct sunlight. Use tomato with less juice and cut into chunks. Spread on a rack and allow to dry

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Nobody: 9:40am On May 18, 2016
very sad, my people now eat rotten tomatoes; we warned you people about the change, but you would nt listen.

There was a country

1 Like

Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by lovat(m): 9:41am On May 18, 2016
shilz:
Soak before use,if u like thick stew u use it same day u soaked the tomato but if u like it light soak till next day n use.
can you prepare it for me this weekend undecided
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by ItuExchange(m): 9:42am On May 18, 2016
Tomatoes price would soon come down. Farmers are now kings - a good lesson for all.

Neteller here: .com.ng
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Nobody: 9:43am On May 18, 2016
delishpot:

It is healthier than the tin one. If you care for your health, avoid the tin one. Instead when you see cheap tomatoes buy them and dry them and pack in airtight container. They are 100% better than the tin puree one.
We plan to dry tomatoes and pack them for plan family use in off season.

If I get them dried myself, fine. That makes more sense. But the ones I usually see just look funny and inedible.
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by Lexusgs430: 9:43am On May 18, 2016
Simply use only red pepper(not tatase) , water, oil and dog meat. Soup don set!!!!
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by 9jatatafo(m): 9:43am On May 18, 2016
Taeewo:
I used dried pepper and sachet tomatoes for stew ..

This is the problem with Nigerians. Instead of keeping the dried tomatoes for planting season, we are using them to cook. Can't we plan for the future? There are other alternatives. What happened to fresh pepper, onions and tomato pastes?
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by adeleke12345(m): 9:44am On May 18, 2016
nothing like rice 50, beans 30 and be shouting for put more stew. they will give you the rice without stew sef
Re: Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? by OlowoB(m): 9:44am On May 18, 2016
My comment was removed and the person whose comment insulted all Nigerians, the comment was left alone.

The mod of this section needs to be ashamed.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Food To Avoid On A First Date / What Kind Of Cooking Pots Would You Rather Buy? / Nairalander Tastes Abacha Umunze For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.