Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,586 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Road Maps For Writers. What Kind Of Self-publisher Are You? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Road Maps For Writers. What Kind Of Self-publisher Are You? (416 Views)

A Checklist Of Self Publishing Your Publishing / What Kind Of Mother Is This? Test Result (image) / What Kind Of Books Can I Read To Boost My Self Esteem/self Confidence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Road Maps For Writers. What Kind Of Self-publisher Are You? by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 18, 2016
Self-publishing is not a "one size fits all" endeavor.

When I began building my website, the plan was to create a basic 'how-to' platform for publishing until I realized I wanted to write and publish my own story, and not just help people market their own.

So I've begun turning the site into not only a personal blog for my story, but the kind of resource I would have wanted years ago, that would have saved me countless hours of time, work and research. My hope is that it will do the same for you in the coming months.

To start, I'm in the process of writing a resource outlining the different types of self-publishers, archetypes, I've come across.

Depending on who you ask, you may get a number ranging anywhere from 3 to 10, or even more. But what I've found in my own research, is that there are 4 distinct types of writers who pursue self-publishing. And with them, comes an outline, or road map, believed to be the best strategy for them to achieve their goals.

There’s a road map for the busy college student who just wants a couple extra hundred dollars a month to loosen up the budget. There’s one for a entrepreneurs looking to add a book to their list of accomplishment, experts in fields who need credibility and feel a book might help bring that to their name, and the people who just want to publish a book they’ve written about their industry; the list goes on and on.

The idea is to help people best determine where they are, and then give them the road map based on their archetype, to help them meet their end goal. I can't guarantee that you will achieve those goals, but I will promise to help as best I can.

The four self-publishing archetypes are:

1.) The Fearful Storyteller - a person with a story to tell. This type of person has one story they’ve rewritten a dozen different times and have probably even shown it to a few select individuals. Everybody loves it, but they’ve been scared to take that first step.

2.) The Side-Hustler - a person in need of a few extra dollars to go on vacation, pay off some debt, or maybe even buy a new car. More than likely, this person already has an existing full-time job and just wants something on the side to supplement his/her finances.

3.) The Dreamer - a person who has dreams of writing and publishing their work, but probably has not written anything yet. They love to write, but don't fully understand the levels of dedication, hard work, and continuous re-analyzing of systems and routines it will take to realize their dreams of earning a full-time income from their work. But are more than willing to learn.

4.) The Professional - a person who needs to write a book that goes alongside their already established company or career path. Getting their book published is the main focus; they don’t need ideas, they just need to get their content organized, put into words, and published.

I was hoping to have my road maps competed by the time I published this post, but my editor is still working on them. For your conveneince, I've included a link to the page HERE, where the road maps can be found when available.

Thanks for reading!

Be blessed!

Ra

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

30 Days Of Poetry Season 2, Day 6, Oga Titus (pix Inside) / deleted post. / Death Meaning=>write Up By Dindy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.