Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,821 members, 7,798,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija (5088 Views)

Self-taught Programmers Vs Trained-taught Programmers / Whats The Prospect In Studing MQL / All Programmers Are Self Taught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by kambo(m): 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2009
in yankee a self taught can be given opportunity to prov his skills on the job
what prospects are there for the rebel self taught nigerian software dev,programmer.
considering that its so easy to get materials on the net on programming ,i.t
also IT schools charge hefty fees making the free method some only option
for some.
just thinking cuz some bad ass niggaz didnt smell any computer science shit in
college they pounded the mac or windows to get their results .
eg skype,john carmark,slava pestov -wiki
wrote bad ass code without touching cs courses
is the naija employment industry lenient to those who
say -" i was self taught"
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by kwende(m): 8:46am On Aug 20, 2009
Most programmers in nigeria taugth themselfs so don't be discouraged. Though I studied Computer Engineering, at the end of the day, I was thougth little in school so I had to teach myself by reading books. So keep practicing and if you see any small time projects, just try your hands on it.
And that will be counting towards your experience.

1 Like

Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by Seun(m): 10:09am On Aug 20, 2009
We are all self-taught, including those that studied computer science and those that didn't.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 20, 2009
programming is an art just like farming, sewing and all that. Just learn how to sew the latest design is equiv learn the latest stunts in latest languages. I think of myself as a "trader" or specifically a "code trader" cos i trade in codes.
Client: I need a site to . . . . or a software to. . . .
Me: No problem, can you pay 1000000000 to get it done in 1 week or 1000 to get it done in 1 year. . . .and. . . .so. . . , on
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by lojik(m): 10:05pm On Aug 20, 2009
i am self taught. i studied something not related to computer. i program for an arm of Lagos State Govt as a permanent staff and u can check my site and see if there's prospect.
www.afrisoft.org

1 Like

Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by skydancer: 11:53pm On Aug 20, 2009
@Seun: I really love that!
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by tsrobinson115: 8:46am On Aug 21, 2009
Hello everyone. Nice to meet you all.

calcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt immobilier - Taux emprunt immobilier. Comparez les offres d’emprunt immobilier, simulation emprunt immobilier, taux emprunt immobiliercalcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt immobilier
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by quadrillio(m): 2:45pm On Aug 21, 2009
Every good developer in naija is a self-taught, cos I can't imagine dem teaching u all d technologies u will need is school

not even in naija where students are not taught the latest tech.

safe
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by ngel0v3(m): 5:46pm On Aug 21, 2009
Self-Learning is the best way to catch up in IT, but don't underestimate the power of a degree in Nigeria. Let's face it; no one may give you a chance if you don't get that important 4-year cert. Good luck!
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by sholyboy89: 6:24am On Aug 22, 2009
I'm studying computer science in the United States and as far as web development goes, I am completely self thought, My work speaks for itself taught.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by Nobody: 10:35am On Aug 22, 2009
Degree is important as well as skills especially in naija. Besides computer skill is available for everyone wit the brains to study it and practice it well.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by kodewrita(m): 8:30pm On Sep 21, 2009
we are all self taught. Programming is not taught, it is learnt. soccer may be partially taught but at the end of the day, you learn it on your own.

I guess you are really focusing on the fact that you have skills but no certificate. Well, there is something better than a certificate, its called a P.O.R.T.F.O.L.I.O

With that, in many cases, you can walk into many places and get instant recognition. Why? because companies are less in filling seats. all they want is getting the job DONE.

In the meantime, get certified for your skills. if you are really good, then the exam should be a breeze (though you should still read for it).
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 28, 2009
@OP
Slava Pesov, has an MSc.
John Carmack went to university with an SAT Score of 1500 before dropping out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Carmack
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slava_Pestov

They smelt stuff in university before doing what they do. Mathematics and CS are almost the same thing.

As to your point, I believe like seun said, we are all self thought. The profs in the universities will simply give you
outlines, but you are responsible for your own success.
I believe a degree helps, but thats my own opinion, and its been trashed out here already. smiley
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by yawatide(f): 3:44pm On Sep 28, 2009
Probably the most simple, pithy answer that will ever be given regarding this topic:

You are the sole determinant of your own fate. The prospects are as great/useless as you make them. The sky is the limit cool
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by skydancer: 4:21pm On Oct 01, 2009
@yawa-tide: I have not heard more sensible talk from a woman before, i would really love to have you on my im list smiley
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 02, 2009
i dont think a teacher will be able to teach you all you need to know to startr coding,
my first programming employment wasn't based on my mechanical engineering degree.

the ad featured in a thursday guardian and somehow, i got the post. (close to 30 of us applied)
My CV did not help, passing the tests helped.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by yawatide(f): 7:16pm On Oct 02, 2009
skydancer:
just IM yawatide wink

To all those who say you need a degree:
As I see it, the purpose of a degree is to demonstrate that you have the ability to learn so yes, just as I know people with engineering degrees working at a bank and in fact know someone with a history degree who is a programmer, one doesn't need a degree to know how to code
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by skydancer: 3:42pm On Oct 05, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

To all those who say you need a degree:
As I see it, the purpose of a degree is to demonstrate that you have the ability to learn so yes, just as I know people with engineering degrees working at a bank and in fact know someone with a history degree who is a programmer, one doesn't need a degree to know how to code
cool
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by oretayo2k5(m): 12:22am On Oct 07, 2009
i just developed an interest in programming but i need some help in choosing softwares to learn, any suggestions?
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by skydancer: 10:29am On Oct 07, 2009
What particularly are you interested in?
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by kodewrita(m): 1:31pm On May 26, 2010
@oretayo2k5, its not about the softwares. its about what you want to do.
Do you want to design software for people to use off the web like ms word or
do you want to create websites
do you want to write applications that do fancy animations like shockwave files.

for starters, to learn how simple text can make computers do stuff, I would ask you to learn HTML (its not a programming language and you can use that as a stepping stone). Javascript would be the next logical step and then PHP and from there into C and/or Java. I am just drawing an easy path for you. HTML is really great because you dont need special software to start. all you need is an ebook on HTML, Notepad and your internet explorer.

Its fun and its all about making this blinking device called the computer bow to your will.

1 Like

Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by Albato(m): 10:04am On May 27, 2010
I am self taught. I started back in the days when GWbasic and Dbase IV and CA Clipper were the cool languages to learn. I trained in one of those private computer colleges (they later employed me). I have since moved on to HTML, PHP, VB, MSQL - all self taught.

It depends on where you go. A lot many jobs want to see a degree though. Other people have gone on to get proffessional qualifications to back their knowledge. Most of what they teach in school is outdated anyway. Frankly school cannot make a great programmer - you do it yourself. The more you code, the better you get.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by iGuru1(m): 10:35pm On May 28, 2010
Am a yung coder who study @ home, i have some thought within me for some months now.
I don't know to go to university 4 degree, and to go to IT institutions 4 certificate which is better of in naija and abroad, or even not to attend anyone just learn urself and have a PORTOFOLIO.
For sometime now, i have been thinking of which will favor me most, because i don't want to go and spend 4 unnecessarily years just like that.
Pls explain and advice me on what to do.
Thanks.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by Mobinga: 11:10pm On May 28, 2010
I learnt c++ on my own when I was 15. grin
we are all self taught. Even the NIIT sef don't teach well.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by iGuru1(m): 11:55pm On May 28, 2010
Am a yung coder who study @ home, i have some thought within me for some months now.
I don't know to go to university 4 degree, and to go to IT institutions 4 certificate which is better of in naija and abroad, or even not to attend anyone just learn urself and have a PORTOFOLIO.
For sometime now, i have been thinking of which will favor me most, because i don't want to go and spend 4 unnecessarily years just like that.
Thanks.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by DonSegmond(m): 7:01am On May 29, 2010
the sky is the limit.
any programmer anywhere in the world can spend N5000 naira buy a domain name and get hosting, then write his own code by himself and deploy and make ridiculous amount of money beyond his wildest dreams. american or european based programmers have no edge over say one in naija, the same information is on the net.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by iGuru1(m): 8:45am On May 29, 2010
Thanks.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by dono3a5(m): 10:37pm On Jul 18, 2010
I thought myself HTML, CSS, JavaScript, ActionScript and PHP i only did JAVA course at NIIT where i was thought JAVA and JSP, but at the end of the day, I only got better than my other classmates because i read books and took online tutorials. And now i am making pretty good strides in developing and creatively making things work, So keep learning and teaching yourself because you don't know where it would lead you.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by Nobody: 12:49am On Jul 20, 2010
What prospects do C++ have for a newbie and also as notepad is redquired for HTML, what tools is/are required for PHP.Thanks house.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by FMK(m): 6:36am On Jul 20, 2010
*dhtml:

programming is an art just like farming, sewing and all that. Just learn how to sew the latest design is equiv learn the latest stunts in latest languages. I think of myself as a "trader" or specifically a "code trader" cos i trade in codes.
Client: I need a site to . . . . or a software to. . . .
Me: No problem, can you pay 1000000000 to get it done in 1 week or 1000 to get it done in 1 year. . . .and. . . .so. . . , on

you are right there
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by saperpsms: 4:01pm On Jul 20, 2010
I used my last card to purchase my first desktop and the book "Java How To Program by Deitel & Deitel", just practicing from one page to another, though with tears sometimes made me a thorough J2SE, J2EE tech to start with.

@i-Guru

Go get that 4 or 5 years paper please. Afterall, you can write your own facebook while in there if you so desire.

The paper will quickly give you that opportunity every programmer/developer long for. Without the paper, you will still get there but at an age you may not like.
Re: What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija by Shimao(m): 11:09pm On Jul 21, 2010
There's so much hope for you guy cos at the end of the day what matters is what you can do, and how well you do it.
Take me for example. I trained and work as a Dcotor but I'm also a programmer, both of which I do concurrently. Although due to demand from the nature of my work, programming takes a back seat.
Anyways, all you need is google

(1) (2) (Reply)

Friendosphere.com is there for you, developer-inclined website / The New Haitian Ipod: D / Have Never Heard About HACKING, Dont We Have Serious HACKERS ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.