Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) (2482 Views)

A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) / Human Friendly Crocodiles At Agulu Lake Anambra State- Video / Crocodile Chops Off Tourist's Leg In A Lake In Uganda (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by jidedoKQ(m): 3:46pm On May 20, 2016
Lake Retba

The Strawberry Milkshake of Senegal

Located some few kilometres away from the capital city of Senegal- Dakar; is the amazing Lake Retba or (Lac Rose). What amazes visitors and tourists alike is the lake’s unusual but vivid pink colour. It's close proximity with the Atlantic makes its salt content very high- a lot more than the Dead Sea.

The pink colour of the lake is caused by the bacteria called Dunaliella Sanila, which is attracted by the salt in the water. The bacteria produce a red pigment in order to absorb the sunlight, thus giving the lake its unique colour. The sunshine experienced during the dry season (which lasts from November to June) makes its colour very visible and less during the rainy season (July-October).

Due to its high salt content, not many living organisms can survive in this lake. It is mainly for salt production and tourist attraction. The salt collectors rub Shea butter to protect their skin while extracting salt from the lake.

A wonderful place for bird watching, you can even get a tour guide to take you on a boat tour of the lake. The Lac Rose has been the finishing point of the Paris-Dakar Rally before it was moved to South America.

If you are thinking of staying around, there are many hotels dotting the shoreline of the lake and also many restaurants with lots of delicacies. Lac Rose is gradually becoming a major tourist destination in West Africa, so it’s currently being evaluated to be considered a UNESCO World Heritage Centre.

Compared to a strawberry milkshake or pink lemonade, a visit to this lake will surely thrill you and remind you of the beauty of Africa. Visiting Senegal soon, ensure that a trip to this ‘wonder of nature’ is included in your itinerary.

Like us on Facebook-[url] https://www.facebook.com/KQ-Holidays-Nigeria-962582207158192 [/url]
Follow us on Twitter- @kqholidaysng

Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by mrbillz(m): 3:55pm On May 20, 2016
Amazing!
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by olatunjithomas(m): 3:58pm On May 20, 2016
this is beautiful, I'm pretty sure it aint gonna habor anything living.
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by jidedoKQ(m): 4:23pm On May 20, 2016
olatunjithomas:
this was beautiful, I'm pretty sure it habor anything living.

''Due to its high salt content, not many living organisms can survive in this lake.''
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by Funjosh(m): 7:59pm On May 20, 2016
This is cool cool
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by mrbillz(m): 8:19pm On May 20, 2016
olatunjithomas:
this is beautiful, I'm pretty sure it aint gonna habor anything living.
this kind thread wont make front page...smh for nairaland sef
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by olatunjithomas(m): 8:22pm On May 20, 2016
mrbillz:
this kind thread wont make front page...smh for nairaland sef
lalasticlala come and see something new, I bet you'll have your both hands on chest.
cc seun where are you?
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by mrbillz(m): 9:34pm On May 20, 2016
olatunjithomas:

lalasticlala come and see something new, I bet you'll have your both hands on chest.
cc seun where are you?
them no go answer you for this kind thread! If na snake now dem go answer you
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by debris: 10:25pm On May 20, 2016
lol
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by kajoula(m): 6:04pm On May 21, 2016
mrbillz:
them no go answer you for this kind thread! If na snake now dem go answer you

What a pity....our own very dear Nairaland.com is fast deteriorating.....
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by faites(f): 10:27pm On May 21, 2016
jidedoKQ:
Lake Retba

The Strawberry Milkshake of Senegal

Located some few kilometres away from the capital city of Senegal- Dakar; is the amazing Lake Retba or (Lac Rose). What amazes visitors and tourists alike is the lake’s unusual but vivid pink colour. It's close proximity with the Atlantic makes its salt content very high- a lot more than the Dead Sea.

The pink colour of the lake is caused by the bacteria called Dunaliella Sanila, which is attracted by the salt in the water. The bacteria produce a red pigment in order to absorb the sunlight, thus giving the lake its unique colour. The sunshine experienced during the dry season (which lasts from November to June) makes its colour very visible and less during the rainy season (July-October).

Due to its high salt content, not many living organisms can survive in this lake. It is mainly for salt production and tourist attraction. The salt collectors rub Shea butter to protect their skin while extracting salt from the lake.

A wonderful place for bird watching, you can even get a tour guide to take you on a boat tour of the lake. The Lac Rose has been the finishing point of the Paris-Dakar Rally before it was moved to South America.

If you are thinking of staying around, there are many hotels dotting the shoreline of the lake and also many restaurants with lots of delicacies. Lac Rose is gradually becoming a major tourist destination in West Africa, so it’s currently being evaluated to be considered a UNESCO World Heritage Centre.

Compared to a strawberry milkshake or pink lemonade, a visit to this lake will surely thrill you and remind you of the beauty of Africa. Visiting Senegal soon, ensure that a trip to this ‘wonder of nature’ is included in your itinerary.

Like us on Facebook-[url] https://www.facebook.com/KQ-Holidays-Nigeria-962582207158192 [/url]
Follow us on Twitter- @kqholidaysng

Can I PM you? I need to ask u a question.
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by mrbillz(m): 12:51am On May 22, 2016
kajoula:

What a pity....our own very dear Nairaland.com is fast deteriorating.....
That is what we have now my dear. How are you?
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by Nobody: 2:13am On May 22, 2016
Beautifully amazingly breath taking. GOD is indeed great, if all beautiful sceneros such as this are in this earth, i wonder how beautiful heaven will be.
Re: Check Out This Pink Lake In Senegal. (Photos) by jidedoKQ(m): 4:09am On May 23, 2016
faites:

Can I PM you? I need to ask u a question.

Yes sir

(1) (Reply)

Do I Need National I.D Card Or Anything To Get My International Passport / Trending Video Of A Stowaway Caught Hiding In An Aeroplane Heading Abroad (pix) / Africans Dying On Their Way To Enter Spain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.