Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,455 members, 7,801,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do (20735 Views)

Silly Mistakes You Must Avoid/Correct If You Must Earn Money Online / Mistakes Business Owners Make With Their Social Media Strategies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by HerexG(m): 9:34pm On May 20, 2016
As an entrepreneur or a business person, you are called to serve only customers. Most times business owners do some silly mistakes that are very unhealthy for business; here are six silly mistakes business owners do that is dangerous in the business terrain.

1. Poor Branding scope

Branding in business covers a whole lot of areas but I will be talking about business name here, I laugh out loud most times when I hear or see most business name, I would most times ask myself did this people consulted anyone before choosing such business name. Most of them would try to sound very religious even with their business by naming their business according to their religious beliefs, just this most I finished consuming a bread and I decided to go through the bread’s wrapper and what I found was “God’s will Bread”, lol what a joke! Products that are meant for the entire public consumption should be 100% free from all religious attachments except your target consumers are of a particular religious group e.g. You want to manufacture an olive oil for only the Christian faith you name such product “By His Grace Olive oil”. Every business owner whose product is consumed by the entire public should be smart enough to remove all forms of religious content in their businesses so as to make their business appeal to all irrespective of their customer’s beliefs.

2. Impatient

Most business owners want to set up a business today and start making huge profits the next month, hell no! Business is no Abracadabra; it takes time for people to start noticing your business and a longer time for consumers to trust your business. For you not to wait too long for sales to come, you then need to apply an aggressive means of marketing e.g. If your kind of business is not out rightly new in the market, you will have to give consumers a good reason to leave Product A for your own new product B, this was the technique the Nigerian owned telecommunication giant used to break into the Nigeria market with the introduction of per second billing rate. If you have done a proper analysis of a business, started proper operations, the next thing to employ is patience.

3. Poor Customer Service

I walked into an International commercial bank recently to transact a business; I was like wow is this bank really situated in Nigeria? Though I wasn’t properly dressed from the gate the security personnel treated me like a VIP, when I entered the banking hall I asked for the banks teller from the security man standing in-between the exit and entrance of the bank and he politely showed me where to pick one. I observed that there was not a single seat in the banking hall, which simply means that they are not willing to keep their customers waiting and to be precise I transacted my business with the bank in an amazing time of less than 5mins. With that experience, I promised myself to open an account with them before the end of this year. That banks amazing customer care service has won them an additional customer, trust me I have transacted with other banks here in a Nigeria that I ended up having aches in my legs for standing too long. This is not only applicable to banks alone but all business ventures, always please yours customers like you are trying to woo Cinderella, make them feel more important than they feel they are and they will be stocked to your business like Ant and Sugar.

4. Going into Business for the wrong purpose

It is true that the purpose of every business man is to make profit but beyond making profit you must that purpose that would still make you stay in business even if the ascertained profit is not coming forth. Never go into business because you saw “Chinedu” making profit with his business and you quickly decided to go into the same business as ‘Chinedu”, you never might know “Chinedu’s” drive for the business. One thing is certain you will never beat the original business idea owner, instead of following “Chinedu’s” idea search and create your own purpose of business and become an healthy competitor like Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

5. Small Business Vision

When starting up a business on of the first thing that should come into your mind is seeking for ways to enlarge and remain in business, most businesses owned by Africans die immediately the business owner dies. I could mention countless businesses that went bankrupt because of the demise of the business owner; the business owner’s family would fight and fight for the business assets till they end up squandering the business assets and bankrupting the business. Have we asked ourselves why all these foreign brands standing the test of time even when the business owner is long dead and gone? The number one reason is partnership; those foreign businesses are not 100% owned by the business initiator, the profit and loss is shared among group of business like minds with the larger share belonging to the business owner or initiator. Instead your business remaining a one man business build it to a certain appreciable level that will attract investors to come in, be smart to sell out some percent of your company shares with you having the larger share so they won’t have an absolute control over your business. This would enable your business to grow bigger, better and more efficient because other investor’s interest is attached to the business. The business will also stand a better chance to stand the test of time even after the owner’s demise.

6. Focus more on product improvement than brand improvement

If your branding is outweighs your product your business story would look like a very beautiful lady with an appalling character. A perfect example of what I’m talking about is the two giant cocoa beverages manufacturing company in Nigeria. One is more concentrated in branding and advert but giving us chocolate dust for chocolate drink while the other is more focus on the product improvement than branding and hereby giving us a more delicious chocolate drink, the truth is that the later sells better than the former. Improve more on your product quality and it would speak for itself, I didn’t ask us to ignore branding totally because it is also a vital area in business.

Source: http://liteworld..com.ng/2016/05/six-silly-mistakes-business-owners-do.html

35 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by klassykute(m): 9:37pm On May 20, 2016
7.. using capital to buy cloths and cari women to tantalizer

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by mrsage(m): 9:43pm On May 20, 2016
Spot on

2 Likes

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Zor0: 9:47pm On May 20, 2016
Not badt
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Ademat7(m): 3:12am On May 21, 2016
rating this 10/10 but on a more serious note C.A.C is not helping in terms of Biz reg

7 Likes

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by gametalk: 5:57am On May 21, 2016
Why CAC not helping

Ademat7:
rating this 10/10 but on a more serious note C.A.C is not helping in terms of Biz reg

1 Like

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by obaao(m): 6:48am On May 21, 2016
8. Not paying workers' salaries
This will result to stealing and poor response from workers.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by agulion: 6:49am On May 21, 2016
using business to do Brother and Sister, and my Church member stuffs

17 Likes

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Nikkyjay: 6:50am On May 21, 2016
Thanks
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Segadem(m): 6:51am On May 21, 2016
klassykute:
7.. using capital to buy cloths and cari women to tantalizer
lol

1 Like

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by TimothyNkenu: 6:51am On May 21, 2016
Very true...hiring wrong staff....spending too much without a significant ROI etc.

7 Likes

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by GentleYoung(m): 6:52am On May 21, 2016
Well said. Common with school proprietors

2 Likes

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Reference(m): 6:54am On May 21, 2016
On the whole, relatively concise. Good write-up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by segiwest(m): 6:54am On May 21, 2016
thanks
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Mrbigman1(m): 6:58am On May 21, 2016
Thanks for d advice

2 Likes

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by hahn(m): 6:58am On May 21, 2016
7. Going into business without a business plan. Na this one dey vex me pass. He who fails to plan, plans to fail. Period undecided

13 Likes

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by feldido(m): 6:59am On May 21, 2016
You are Spot on...
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by seunlayi(m): 7:00am On May 21, 2016
Nice and educative topic

1 Like

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Nobody: 7:01am On May 21, 2016
nice points
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Pavore9: 7:02am On May 21, 2016
Educative.
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by opalu: 7:05am On May 21, 2016
Nice.
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by winningwinner(m): 7:15am On May 21, 2016
Thanks
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by nonjebose(m): 7:17am On May 21, 2016
Nice piece.
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Yahzeelv(m): 7:22am On May 21, 2016
Tru talk. Most of them are also exploiting their workers. God dey sha
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Ameedan: 7:24am On May 21, 2016
Nice write up
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by sunday2012(m): 7:29am On May 21, 2016
Above that horses are prepared for wars but victory belongs to God. Prayers is also very important

5 Likes

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Adexprint(m): 7:30am On May 21, 2016
nice.....Thanks OP.
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by olive2000: 7:36am On May 21, 2016
Nice one, I grab some point points kiss
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by chukslawrence(m): 7:36am On May 21, 2016
Cool.
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by jwart(m): 7:39am On May 21, 2016
Brilliant write up!

1 Like

Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by sirhenry007(m): 7:41am On May 21, 2016
Thanks so much for the advice Op. They are indeed very useful.
Re: Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do by Evergreen4(m): 7:45am On May 21, 2016
Nwanne rapu ifa, onyen chukwu goziri, ogozi wo ya

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

CBN Brings Back Cash Handling Fees For Bank Customers / My Bitter Experience With Registering A Business Name With CAC Online Portal / Fish Farm Business Proposal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.