Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,532 members, 7,801,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman (17729 Views)

How Nigerian Mentality In Education Is Slowly Killing Our Youths / Maduike Ezeibe Discovers Cure For HIV/AIDS (Michael Okpara University Professor) / Pictures From Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by EduRegard: 3:38pm On May 21, 2016
He half walked, half dragged to the front of my aunt’s vet store. I had no choice but help aunty Kemi man the place as she is trying to open yet another store in Ikeja.

I was counting on my fingers, trying to find out how many days we had before we resumed back to school. This holiday had been as boring as watching paint dry. I was counting my remaining days of boredom when he knocked, taking me away from my reverie.

He instantly reminded me of Frank Donga. “Please, is there vacancy here? ” he asked. I looked at him from head to toe. His shirt had definitely seen better days. His hair was like a refuse dump and his mouth smelled like a mortuary. His shoes reminded me of canoes. Worn out canoes.

I was still assessing his unpresentable appearance when he shoved photocopied documents into my hands.

“Please sir, I have bsc and msc zoology from OAU, ife”. I thought he was joking. A quick scan of the papers confirmed my fears.

He continued “please give me a job, any job. I will work for free for three months if you want. Please!”. Desperation oozed from his thin frame.

He must have thought I owned the place. “No vacancy” slipped from my lips. He looked at me, fought back tears and snatched his papers. He trudged on.

I watched him go. My aunt who owed the store this masters degree holder is begging for a job didn’t go to any university. Her business is worth over thirty million naira. She always told me the university is a cage that force you to sit behind a desk for four years so you’ll be qualified to sit behind another desk for forty years.

She said university will teach you to look for jobs but never create one. It will teach you yo work for a living but never have a life. I sat. I thought.

She had blamed the craze on the oil boom in the seventies. Then, graduates were entitled to cars and automatic jobs.

She said people still live in that delusion. She told me the richest man alive is a college dropout who followed his dream.

She asked what my dream was. She said ” do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life”. I am convinced, college degrees are overrated.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Source : http://eduregard.com.ng/a-quick-story-to-justify-why-degree-education-is-overrated/

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by calliope(f): 4:10pm On May 21, 2016
Op how about dropping out since it's overrated? Just saying moreover Buhari got no college degree but still the president of the most populous black nation so?

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Ronpet777(m): 4:20pm On May 21, 2016
Wow!Wot a piece!!!I learnt aa whole lot in d combination of ur brief but weighty words.God bless u.Front page worthy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Vick4rill(m): 4:25pm On May 21, 2016
this is the most myopic, and unreasonable post i have read today. honestly you and ur aunty are crown pessimist. better drop out from that skul, because u are wasting ur time.who told u a graduate can not do bussiness or even do better than ur aunty? i am a graduate secured a good job and ve so many bussinesses, so what will u say abt that?. to the young minds reading this if you foolishly dump ur educational pursue because of the shit you read here be ready to blame nobody bt ur slf. ur aunty situation is that of a blind man who doesnt ve eyes and then concludes that the eyes smells.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by thesicilian: 4:27pm On May 21, 2016
EduRegard:

My aunt who owed the store this masters degree holder is begging for a job didn’t go to any university. Her business is worth over thirty million naira. She always told me the university is a cage that force you to sit behind a desk for four years so you’ll be qualified to sit behind another desk for forty years.

There are some things that sound good to the ears and seem to make a lot of sense, but on indepth analysis turn out to be not so true. This article is one of such.

I'm almost certain you aunty did not on her own decide not to attend a university, it is most likely to have been due environmental factors such as finance, external exams like WAEC & JAMB, or even her own flair (or lack of it) for bookwork..

The richest man in the world did not drop out of university because he did not like university or he was too dull, he dropped out because he was too busy with his programming and the school work was a distraction. Mind you, he was enrolled at Harvard, an elite school strictly for the creme de la creme.

Not every graduate looks for a job. Some get a job while still in school, some right after school, some start up their own companies after university.

Not all job seeking graduates are unkempt, like the one you described above.

The fact that one person made it without seeing the four walls of a university does not call for a condemnation of those who graduated from universities. Your aunty may not have attended one, but its most likely that she had benefited from the knowledge of those who did, either in the planning stages or in the form of formal or informal consultations.

The university does not make you to be dependent on a job, it is the kind of education you give yourself that determines how you turn out in life. The university is a place for learning and research, it is not supposed to be a sit-in-the-classroom-and-copy-notes set up.

And finally I think if anything is overrated, it is the notion of "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life''. Yes it may be less stressful because you have a passion for it, but you still have to work your ass off daily if you intend to make any meaningful impact...

91 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Varagous(f): 4:31pm On May 21, 2016
Not everyone can own a business and man it well .. some sit behind the desk to make sure things get done! the thing is FIND YOUR NICHE AND FILL IT!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by EduRegard: 4:45pm On May 21, 2016
Vick4rill:
this is the most myopic, and unreasonable post i have read today. honestly you and ur aunty are crown pessimist. better drop out from that skul, because u are wasting ur time.who told u a graduate can not do bussiness or even do better than ur aunty? i am a graduate secured a good job and ve so many bussinesses, so what will u say abt that?. to the young minds reading this if you foolishly dump ur educational pursue because of the shit you read here be ready to blame nobody bt ur slf. ur aunty situation is that of a blind man who doesnt ve eyes and then concludes that the eyes smells.
We need explanations here cos it's like you were probably too busy minding your business profits and couldn't find the time to digest that post before dropping a comment and running off.

The top reads "Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman", which implies, the opinion stated was only that of the writer and solely according to his own perspective, which is possible if it differed compared to yours. So why are you taking it to the head? It's one man's opinion and not meant to be generally accepted.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by SammieLowkey(m): 4:45pm On May 21, 2016
Your reasons are not enough and I kind of find it spurious(my opinion tho). I cannot expatiate on this now, but have it in mind that what worked for ur Aunt might not work 4 you. What if someone gave her the capital to start up dat biz? Don't even quote the Bill Gates', Buhari's, Dangote, Wizkid, 2face & co stories cos there's alwayz difference in Opportunities. My candid advice 2 you (& Everyone reading this) is; DON'T ever rely on Education ONLY, Garnish it with other skills, Trust in God and you'll be twice greater than your Aunt in no distant time. Coz believe me, being literate, you have a 100% advantage over her any day, anytime!

10 Likes

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by tooman: 4:46pm On May 21, 2016
stamp
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by guywitzerogal(m): 4:48pm On May 21, 2016
U 're right Bt still on still we need knowledge to deal in everytin we do
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by lolawilliams(f): 4:53pm On May 21, 2016
People shouldnt be decieved with this.. Get that education!!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by proffemi: 4:53pm On May 21, 2016
EduRegard:
...university will teach you to look for jobs but never create one/
This is untrue. Does she mean Nigerian universities, or universities generally?

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by lanwrex(m): 4:55pm On May 21, 2016
Yeah.. Its overrated in Nigeria... Every parent wants to make sure his/her child/ward goest to university or polytechnic at least... Personally i feel know what ure good in and concentrate fully on it... I also wonder if d stories i hear abt people writing jamb 7 times are really true den after give up and start looking for jobs

2 Likes

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by codslic: 4:55pm On May 21, 2016
Don't deceive yourself:get the best education you can get. But don't let education replace your common sense

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Nobody: 4:57pm On May 21, 2016
Vick4rill:
Dont mind the OP jawe..very myopic mindset..

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by lanwrex(m): 5:01pm On May 21, 2016
Vick4rill:

People lyk u will never listen... He is just talking from his perspective... Why go through all the stress to get a degree at all cost even for some ridiculous courses all in the name of certificate...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by cocoduck: 5:02pm On May 21, 2016
so what is education? Does education only mean attending a university? That question remains unanswered after a long, long time. If somebody has only a high school diploma, or SSCE, then the person is not educated, na wa ohh.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by AntiWailer: 5:03pm On May 21, 2016
Guess he is struggling or struggled in school.
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Ajusshi: 5:03pm On May 21, 2016
sad
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Olusharp(m): 5:04pm On May 21, 2016
I have been thinking for a while...
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by PontiffMaximus: 5:06pm On May 21, 2016
Firstly, a good school can inculcate entrepreneurship ideas in you. (thats the reason for the introduction of entrepreneurship studies in Nigerian universities recently.)
Now, going to school without a clear motive is as good as not going.
when i was still an undergraduate, we had students in final year, Information Technology that couldn't even use a computer.
Note that, the reason Gate, Zuckerberg and the rest dropped out, wasn't because they didn't value education, it was because they saw a greater opportunity and school then became a hindrance.
if in their shoes i would do the same.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by dhesire(m): 5:06pm On May 21, 2016
Education is light.
Education is key.

Light: you will be enlightened, not groping in the darkness of life.
Key: you possess the key to open any door of opportunity opened to you in life.

Please, get educated, then follow your dreams and passion in life, with this you are saved.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Vick4rill(m): 5:06pm On May 21, 2016
EduRegard:
We need explanations here cos it's like you were probably too busy minding your business profits and couldn't find the time to digest that post before dropping a comment and running off.

The top reads "Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman", which implies, the opinion stated was only that of the writer and solely according to his own perspective, which is possible if it differed compared to yours. So why are you taking it to the head? It's one man's opinion and not meant to be generally accepted.
i dont accept it and am telling anybody who has the quest for education to reject it too...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by lanwrex(m): 5:06pm On May 21, 2016
[quote author=cocoduck post=45838152]so what is education? Does education only mean attending a university? That question remains unanswered after a long, long time. If somebody has only a high school diploma, or SSCE, then the person is not educated, na wa ohh.[/quote
Cant u read... DEGREE EDUCATION!!! Nt educa
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Olateef(m): 5:07pm On May 21, 2016
Education has changed an average Nigerian into a twenty first century slave

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by lanwrex(m): 5:07pm On May 21, 2016
!.......
Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Ronpet777(m): 5:09pm On May 21, 2016
Vick4rill:
So much invectives on a simple personal ideology! People are so funny.The OP didn't label it 'Y education is irrelevant',He only said it is overrated in dis part of d world. Other hidden msgs behind this write up is dt as graduate we need to think more of wot we can create than helping others achieve their dreams while we don't even bother birthing ours!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by dhebo(m): 5:12pm On May 21, 2016
the writer was spitting rubbish happily and proudly. so you telling me if i go for a business course in university it won't enhance my business skill?...if you check nw na person wey no dey do well for school dey get dz kin yeye idea

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Nobody: 5:14pm On May 21, 2016
The moderator has a point, tertiary education isn't what's it used to be anymore, our students aren't thought to think for themselves.

They aren't thought to question the status quo, they re programmed to be drones and slaves.

It pays to follow ur passion, that's the point of this discussion.

I knw many parents who spent millions sending their wards to school abroad only for them to return and start hunting for non existent jobs.

The applicant in question is functionall illiterate, he can't market himself, he wants a desk job where he won't have to stress himself

Dats the problem with somany graduates in nigeria.

They want to sit on a desk in anoffice and be treated like pavlovs dogs.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by Sasuwa(f): 5:14pm On May 21, 2016
get education and be rich or remain with your education or refuse school and get money or remain uneducated with no money. make the choice op.
i have seen many with no uni education and still poorer , stop going to school will not make you rich

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman by tosyne2much(m): 5:20pm On May 21, 2016
Hmmmmm !!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

16 situations Unilorites Can Relate To(photos) / N15.89b Injection To Stop ASUU Strike / ASUU: FG Lied, We Didn’t Reach Agreement To Suspend Strike Dec 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.