Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,535 members, 7,808,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences (21022 Views)

What Are The Differences Between BN And RC Number / Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards / 3 Practical Steps To Self-employment [You Don't Require Capital For This] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by lekanolaolu: 7:23am On May 22, 2016
That's enlightening. Thanks Op
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by ziego(m): 7:25am On May 22, 2016
Isorite
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by mccoy47(m): 7:31am On May 22, 2016
izuch:

Warrisdis? undecided
U quoted the whole article to write dat?
Oponu!
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by fowowea1(m): 7:31am On May 22, 2016
wow !!! its too long tho, but I read it, coz am an entrepreneur in the making. studying entrepreneurship management technology, in futa.
buh the question is dat who's gonna lend me moni to start production
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by Nobody: 7:32am On May 22, 2016
Nice write up. Thanks for the eye opener
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by Godsonkemz(m): 7:33am On May 22, 2016
Very good write-up although you deviated your thoughts along the line. Noted ur suggestions but the economic factors usually have external influence more than internal factors the business owner can control. You may wish to go global because the strategy adopted can only work in a capitalist economy like US, applying the same principles here in Nigeria may most likely not work out the way you expected it.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by Sasuwa(f): 7:34am On May 22, 2016
Op are bloggers enterpreneurs or self-employed
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by Missy89(f): 7:35am On May 22, 2016
Bunk!

This is not a very smart or well thought out article.

Every entrepreneur is self employed. Trying to paint both as two different things is just nonsense.

The OP is actually talking about the same thing but making the mistake of comparing a business during 2 different stages. The reason why the "entrepreneur" in your article wont go to work or will outlive his business is because he/she scaled it from a small entity to a big one.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by bigx(m): 7:39am On May 22, 2016
Some people are making money, some people are writing books on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by cr80vity(m): 7:42am On May 22, 2016
mrvitalis:
I don't in any way agree to this
There is no way u can show that being self employed is not entrepreneurship simply no way

What u called self employment is small scale enterprise which can grow to what u called the entrepreneurship (large scale enterprise)
What's the most important is the vision u started a business, there friends started a salon
Friend A wants the biggest salon in his locality
Friend B wants a league of salon in different
place in the city
Friend C wants a salon with branches all over the major cities in the world offering same service

All of them are entrepreneurs but there vision is different u can't call one self employment and the other entrepreneur
bro m nt saying d location or expansion is wat entrepreneurship is all about....it is how d salon is run...v u nt bin to some salon and u wil wonder if u r in paradise - if some one who s oriented in business opens a salon nd someone who is not business oriented opens his/her salon, bro u wil see d clear difference....d ordinary salon opens it as an hand work tin but an entrepreneur opens salon as a profession...
the diff btw d self-employment nd entrepreneurship s d business spirit
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by cr80vity(m): 7:44am On May 22, 2016
kevinscore:
My brother all these things are the same depends on your packaging,mind u a self employed can equally package his business in such a way the business we outlive him is just that oyibo sabi use english to confuse us here.
den he s regarded as an entrepreneur
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by Mario1989(m): 7:47am On May 22, 2016
mrvitalis:
I don't in any way agree to this
There is no way u can show that being self employed is not entrepreneurship simply no way

What u called self employment is small scale enterprise which can grow to what u called the entrepreneurship (large scale enterprise)
What's the most important is the vision u started a business, there friends started a salon
Friend A wants the biggest salon in his locality
Friend B wants a league of salon in different
place in the city
Friend C wants a salon with branches all over the major cities in the world offering same service

All of them are entrepreneurs but there vision is different u can't call one self employment and the other entrepreneur
I like this point but you didnt fully understand the OP....i think there are big scale enterprise that can be seen as self employment and not enterpreneurship just like the CONCORD NEWSPAPER he mentioned.....Bottom line is if the CEO takes all decisions himself, then its self employment, but if he have a board who help him take decisions/idea and know the exact vision of the firm/establishment, then its enterpreneurship.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by cr80vity(m): 7:49am On May 22, 2016
bigx:
Some people are making money, some people are writing books on nairaland.
do u think d man who wrote rich dad poor dad, do u think he was rich before he.wrote d book....don't you think it was the.sales of the book (which he wrote) made him rich
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by cr80vity(m): 7:52am On May 22, 2016
does who think the two are similar should ask busines consultants or google or research on it nd you will get the idea more
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by tosintreasure(m): 7:55am On May 22, 2016
@ OP;you nailed it. Most people believed engaging in small scale businesses is entrepreneurship whereas as you have said being self employed which i called one man business can only foot your bills ,It is only entrepreneurship that can lead you to financial freedom.
I will recommend that Nigerians should start reading good books on entrepreneurship. I am Tosintreasure.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by mrvitalis(m): 7:56am On May 22, 2016
Mario1989:
I like this point but you didnt fully understand the OP....i think there are big scale enterprise that can be seen as self employment and not enterpreneurship just like the CONCORD NEWSPAPER he mentioned.....Bottom line is if the CEO takes all decisions himself, then its self employment, but if he have a board who help him take decisions/idea and know the exact vision of the firm/establishment, then its enterpreneurship.
There is no clear distinct difference between both, it based on individual, igbos for example Donr like to run a PLC type of business, cos we love absolute control of our business, yes it has it own disadvantage and advantage also so dose it mean we are not entrepreneurs??
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by Patented: 7:56am On May 22, 2016
Why r u trying to split hairs.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by pwettiejay(f): 7:58am On May 22, 2016
Wow! Didn't know all this while, thank God I wsnt asked in an exam

Anyway, its my day today!

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by mike234: 7:58am On May 22, 2016
Well said but I think you are only trying to differentiate between a sole proprietorship and a corporate organisation (Limited liability company). Self employment and entrepreneurship both fall under sole prop. but all your explanation about entrepreneurship is just that of a limited liability coy.

Although your points are clear but you definition of an entrepreneur is what I do not agree with.

You can still school me further if you think I'm wrong.

Stay blessed.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by fgr63: 8:00am On May 22, 2016
u try but your title nawaoo.you see all entrepreneurs are self employed but not all self employed are entrepreneurs.being self employed is a prerequisite to entrepreneurship.

innovation is not all about creating new things.most time innovation is doing old things in a new way.not all entrepreneurs are manufacturers,not all are service providers,not all are bill gates.
entrepreneurs seeks to conquer their environment.sometimes that environment could be their village,town,country,state,continent and the world.no matter the distance conquer they all are in their own right entrepreneurs
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by bluecircle470: 8:01am On May 22, 2016
Thanks so much for the enlightenment.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by mike234: 8:03am On May 22, 2016
Mario1989:

@ Mario. you are right but simply put concord newspaper is a corporate org but not a sole prop.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by Kay17: 8:15am On May 22, 2016
Entrepreneurship -- Romanticized Capitalism.

Let's flip over the head. Majority of shareholders of the Fortune 500 companies provide the capital for the business yet leave the re-creation of this capital to a group of salaried employees - the Board. Now we have the servants of the company ruling the masters below. The employed hands are the entrepreneurs, the innovators and whatever fancy name etc.

Besides is there any human endeavour without the element of creativity? let's us not lose sight of the goals of the Capitalist which is to make more capital regardless of the community's interests.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by initialize(m): 8:22am On May 22, 2016
You just differentiated between Sole-Propietorship and Partnership form of business... It has nothing on Enterprenuer/Self employed.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by WHIZKIDEFE(m): 8:27am On May 22, 2016
Nice one, Op. Well said..
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by vkon2(m): 8:38am On May 22, 2016
In the next 7 years, when anybody, in any part of the world hear of cement the next thing that comes to his or her mind is ***********, yes you are right

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by sped1oro(m): 8:45am On May 22, 2016
In business context,there is eally no difference between an entrepreneur and self employed. They both want to do domething on their own without being restricted to the work-rule.Period!
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by just2okworld(f): 8:51am On May 22, 2016
Read this samhay
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by Nobody: 9:15am On May 22, 2016
Op confused himself and is looking for more people to throw into confusion.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by joey150(m): 9:27am On May 22, 2016
I dont agree... You can grow a business from been self employed to a large scale company. There are many examples of people like that.

The main thing is your vision when you start. Mc donalds,kfc and co started small,but saw the need to grow bigger and took the chance. Dont over complicate things,not everyone can have a board of directors at start up.

From the comment you realise how easy it is to confuse people. Because whatever you call a dog is the name it would answer.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by karkinase(m): 9:41am On May 22, 2016
Too long an article to read. In the fast digital media pace of today you should know that people click out easily if your write-up seem too long making it inadvertently boring... Dats being an entrepreneur in which you missed out @ Op.
Now, to the difference between self-employment and enterpreneurship, in my opinion i think both actually means the same. An entrepreneur is one who realizes opporutunities and is constantly working to improve on things.
In the long run, an entrepreneur would be self employed while one who is self employed might just be a business man without any entrepreneurial mindset.
Simply, put self employment is a subset of enterpreneurship.
Re: Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences by yusufyusuf1: 9:50am On May 22, 2016
Entrepreneur are does lazy and jobless people who claim they are blogger and comments on every nonsense while self employed are the working ones who only come here to read comments

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Funny Things People Do In The Bank / Lagos Assembly Orders Relocation Of Mile 12 And Owode Markets / Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.