Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,243 members, 7,807,820 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad (68984 Views)

Why I Killed Victor Banjo, Ifeajuna And Others – Ojukwu / BREAKING: Indonesia Executes Three Nigerians By Firing Squad / Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by kstix(m): 5:34pm On Jun 08, 2016
I hope the people agitating for biafra can learn from this. This man was a visionary. He understood that sometimes you have to be diplomatic when dealing with the enemy in other to save the lives of your people. And he was killed for it by his igbo people. The same ojukwu that ran away for his dear life after forcing little children into war. Learn from history. Everything should not be by gra gra.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Eddygourdo(m): 5:35pm On Jun 08, 2016
Do not rewrite history, ifeajuna was a saboteur to the biafran cause, he was a. Zikist with high nationalistic views on one nigeria, that's wwhy he partook in the coup, like the person above me said, ojukwu made an error with banjo and unfortunately the igbo men couldn't enforce his orders to banjo to overrun lagos. Their decison to camp at ore was the single act of undoing for the war, yet we have to think. If ojukwu had intrests in protecting his people from the pogroms in the north, what was his interest in attempting to unseat the nigerian government by attacking lagos.........food for thought

16 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by freshdude99(m): 5:38pm On Jun 08, 2016
Icon4s:
My late father was part of the troup led by Victor Banjo, one of the other 3 executed with Ifeajuna.

Ojukwu took one of d greatest gambles of the Civil war by putting Victor Banjo, a Yoruba man, in charge of the troup dat was on conquest to Lagos. Banjo got through to Awolowo when the troup approached Ore after over running Benin.

Banjo negotiated a cease fire and d journey on a conquest to Lagos was halted allowing time for d Federal troup to regroup and repel the Biafran soldiers.

The war would have ended in less than 3months had Banjo nt betrayed Ojukwu.

Emmanuel Ifeajuna was also implicated in the case and all four had to die.
Am glad you have a better knowledge of history unlike the Op and most NL posters.
How can ur CnC give orders and a subordinate go behind and negotiate a ceasefire huh?
We Igbos aren't cowards, if I were my leader ojukwu, Na for face I will order them to shoot the fvvkers sef. Their betrayal led to the death of millions of biafrans and one op is here writing rubbish as if we don't read history books

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by shaddoww: 5:39pm On Jun 08, 2016
I hope d right lesson is learnt from dis story
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by saintfizzo(m): 5:39pm On Jun 08, 2016
Hmmmmmm
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Bestinstinct(m): 5:42pm On Jun 08, 2016
.. crySad story....
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by freshdude99(m): 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2016
Eddygourdo:
Do not rewrite history, ifeajuna was a saboteur to the biafran cause, he was a. Zikist with high nationalistic views on one nigeria, that's wwhy he partook in the coup, like the person above me said, ojukwu made an error with banjo and unfortunately the igbo men couldn't enforce his orders to banjo to overrun lagos. Their decison to camp at ore was the single act of undoing for the war, yet we have to think. If ojukwu had intrests in protecting his people from the pogroms in the north, what was his interest in attempting to unseat the nigerian government by attacking lagos.........food for thought
Answer is simple, capturing the seat of power in Lagos will give him a better bargaining chip. Remember several meetings were held in Ghana and it gave birth to aburi accord which gowon vehemently refused to implement. So had Biafra republic capture Lagos, we would have been celebrating 59yrs this year

5 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:45pm On Jun 08, 2016
The controversy surrounding whether or not E. K. Clark knew about the escape of Ifeajuna to Ghana, made Odia Ofeimun write the poem, The Poet Lied.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by dexterinc2003: 5:46pm On Jun 08, 2016
nerodenero:
Late Alams actually learnt very well from this dude grin

LATE?? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jun 08, 2016
What a story..

2 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Bellfun(m): 5:48pm On Jun 08, 2016
Icon4s:
My late father was part of the troup led by Victor Banjo, one of the other 3 executed with Ifeajuna.

Ojukwu took one of d greatest gambles of the Civil war by putting Victor Banjo, a Yoruba man, in charge of the troup dat was on conquest to Lagos. Banjo got through to Awolowo when the troup approached Ore after over running Benin.

Banjo negotiated a cease fire and d journey on a conquest to Lagos was halted allowing time for d Federal troup to regroup and repel the Biafran soldiers.

So the man Ifeajuna also betrayed Ojukwu?...it was a case of power-play!

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by HeGeMon(m): 5:49pm On Jun 08, 2016
That's what you pay for treason
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by HeGeMon(m): 5:49pm On Jun 08, 2016
That's the price you pay for treason, it don't matter if u are the second in command, gotta pay the cost
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by freshdude99(m): 5:50pm On Jun 08, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

History is a very important subject......it is rich in lessons for those who are willing to see it.
#True but this very history the Op is feeding us is poisonous lies.
Ifeajuna, Banjo and co are betrayers and saboteurs and for the record my hero OJUKWU took a necessary decision I will always cherish. And for young Biafrans and Nigerians, respect ur boss no matter what, in the army, ur boss is ur boss. Follow orders not personality.
Adieu my leader, the great Odimegwu Ojukwu

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Nnachuka(m): 5:50pm On Jun 08, 2016
meltiplexer:
Who this story help

it's not for your feeble mind sir, move over

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Nnachuka(m): 5:52pm On Jun 08, 2016
SmileXtraone:
From grace to grass.
not so, he achieved one thing, immortality
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by TheSCRYPT: 5:53pm On Jun 08, 2016
Guyman02:
Dark side of Nigeria. Why is history of the civil war not in our curriculum like America where their civil war is thought to every child in history class?

Because we are still struggling with staying united. Adding a sensitive subject such as that to our curriculum will only open up old wounds and cause more harm than good.

Until we have truly buried the hatchet, this topic remains a "let sleeping dogs lie" issue.

4 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by HeGeMon(m): 5:53pm On Jun 08, 2016
Ur boss, is it the one that ran away?? In womens clothing or the one incarcerated??
freshdude99:

#True but this very history the Op is feeding us is poisonous lies.
Ifeajuna, Banjo and co are betrayers and saboteurs and for the record my hero OJUKWU took a necessary decision I will always cherish. And for young Biafrans and Nigerians, respect ur boss no matter what, in the army, ur boss is ur boss. Follow orders not personality.
Adieu my leader, the great Odimegwu Ojukwu

15 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Nnachuka(m): 5:53pm On Jun 08, 2016
YourNemesis:
He ran away to Ghana dressed like a woman??

Igbos and Cowardice..

seeing your problem is intended self delusion, I can't help you

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jun 08, 2016
Icon4s:

My yellow bar pples re born betrayals, never trust a yellow bar man or woman including me grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by YourNemesis: 6:00pm On Jun 08, 2016
Nnachuka:
seeing your problem is intended self delusion, I can't help you

Ramblings from a coward

10 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by chachanga: 6:02pm On Jun 08, 2016
[b]He had co-led a military coup in January 1966 in which, according to an official but disputed police report, he shot and killed Nigeria’s first prime minister. The coup failed but Ifeajuna escaped to safety in Ghana, dressed as a woman and was driven to freedom by a famous poet. Twenty months later, he was back, fighting for the persecuted Igbo people of eastern Nigeria in a brutal civil war that broke out as a consequence of the coup.

Ifeajuna and three fellow officers were accused by their own leader, General Emeka Ojukwu, of plotting against him and the breakaway Republic of Biafra. They denied charges of treason: they were trying to save lives and their country, they said, by negotiating an early ceasefire with the federal government and reuniting Nigeria. They failed, they died and, in the next two and a half years, so did more than a million Igbos.

The day of the execution was 25 September, 1967, and the time 1.30pm. There was a very short gap between trial and execution, not least because federal troops were closing in on Enugu, the Biafran capital, giving rise to fears that the “guilty four” might be rescued.

As the execution approached, the four men – Ifeajuna, Victor Banjo, Phillip Alale and Sam Agbam – were tied to stakes. Ifeajuna, with his head on his chest as though he was already dead, kept mumbling that his death would not stop what he had feared most, that federal troops would enter Enugu, and the only way to stop this was for those about to kill him to ask for a ceasefire.

A body of soldiers drew up with their automatic rifles at the ready. On the order of their officer, they levelled their guns at the bared chests of the four men. As a hysterical mass behind the firing squad shouted: “Shoot them! Shoot them!” a grim-looking officer gave the command: “Fire!” The deafening volley was followed by lolling heads. Ifeajuna slumped. Nigeria’s great sporting hero died a villain’s death. But he had been right. By 4pm two and a half hours after the executions, the gunners of the federal troops had started to hit their targets in Enugu with great accuracy. The Biafrans began to flee and the city fell a few days later.[/b]

Hmnn?! Great lesson learnt.

The lesser Igbo pole undercut Igbo causes and Igbo brethren, the faster the emancipation and self-determination struggle.
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by kstix(m): 6:04pm On Jun 08, 2016
Icon4s:

''ifeajuna was also implicated in the case''... Thats where i smell your sentimental bias. He was a visionary unlike the mumu biafrans who couldnt see the future because they had always believed everyone wants to rule them. They were their own doom. Thats why they died like chickens. Everything na gra gra. And thats what some are still clamouring for now.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Keegan: 6:06pm On Jun 08, 2016
Biafrans are senseless and stu.pid. If you can march on your own cloth, surely you can tear off another man's.

Talking of betrayer, these fools keep mentioning Banjo's name every time they argue and systematically mute about Ifeajuna and co. You are your own enemies and history will soon repeat itself.

17 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Globallords(m): 6:08pm On Jun 08, 2016
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Floyd45(m): 6:10pm On Jun 08, 2016
I wish we had more pictures of Ifeajuna..i rushed to open the thread hoping to see new pictures of him. I have always been fascinated with the young plotters of the 1st coup. I want more insight into their personal lives and more pictures of Nzogwu, Ademoyega, Okafor, Anuforo, Chukwuka, Obienu, Onwuatuegwu.

3 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by kingthreat(m): 6:11pm On Jun 08, 2016
Icon4s:

Never ever in the history of the world will Biafra conquer the land of Oduas. NEVER

16 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 08, 2016
Ifeajuna and three fellow officers were accused by their own leader, General Emeka Ojukwu, of plotting against him and the breakaway Republic of Biafra. They denied charges of treason: they were trying to save lives and their country, they said, by negotiating an early ceasefire with the federal government and reuniting Nigeria. They failed, they died and, in the next two and a half years, so did more than a million Igbos.

One can safely conclude that Ojukwu led his people to slaughter like chickens. Ojukwu murdered Ifeajuna and millions of Biafrans.

20 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by ahamonyeka(m): 6:14pm On Jun 08, 2016
Meaning DSP alams was the second to have dressed like a woman to escape.

4 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by oglalasioux(m): 6:19pm On Jun 08, 2016
Eddygourdo:

Good question. However, in war, you have to capture the enemy's capital to attain victory. The enemy can never negotiate unless you have his capital city. It was a good military move but a sorry political one calculating from the point of the reasons for the war.
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by kaziblake(f): 6:20pm On Jun 08, 2016
Hmm interesting
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Kgdavid(m): 6:20pm On Jun 08, 2016
Ifeajuna sealed his fate with the tribalistic and barbaric manner in which he executed the Lagos part of the coup.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari's Alleged Wedding: Nigerians Joke About The Wedding (Pictures) / Buhari Names Train Stations After Prominent Nigerians. See Full List. / Tinubu Came To See Me 3 Times B4 I Approved Oando Conocophilips Deal - Diezani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.