Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,702 members, 7,802,088 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad (68965 Views)

Why I Killed Victor Banjo, Ifeajuna And Others – Ojukwu / BREAKING: Indonesia Executes Three Nigerians By Firing Squad / Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by frisky2good(m): 5:40pm On Jun 09, 2016
It's obvious you are learned, unlike some people that just come here to argue blindly. Those people wouldn't have got to Ijebu Ife talkless of Iebu Ode.

logicab:
Some people naively think because Ore to Lagos is about 4 hours drive, they were almost in Lagos. Literally, there were many bridges to cross; yet 180 men held them up at the bridge at Ore. Back in the day, most of the area between Ore and Lagos was marshland (still is) so you had to use the bridges. They could NEVER make it to Lagos without the "safe pass" Victor Banjo requested.
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by T9ksy(m): 6:50pm On Jun 09, 2016
logicab:
Some people naively think because Ore to Lagos is about 4 hours drive, they were almost in Lagos. Literally, there were many bridges to cross; yet 180 men held them up at the bridge at Ore. Back in the day, most of the area between Ore and Lagos was marshland (still is) so you had to use the bridges. They could NEVER make it to Lagos without the "safe pass" Victor Banjo requested.

Even IF (emphasis mine), the BLF had got to Lagos, it would have been a more fierce battles than Ore with a more huge number of collateral damages who will be mainly, yorubas. However, how does Ojukwu intend to hang on to lagos when he hasn,t even bothered to secure his flank.How does he planned to reinforce his rapidly advancing troops with necessary war materials including men?

Even the the folks in the mid-west region whom ojukwu had forcibly occupied their land were already waging a guerilla warfare against BLF long before Banjo set off from the allegedly-"liberated" region for his ancestral land on what he must have know, is a suicide mission. I truly feel for the guy. He found himself in a quandary (in gaol in iboland at the commencement of the war), and Ojukwu simply made him an offer he just can't refuse as am sure ojukwu would have had no qualms shooting Banjo dead as a SABO, had he voiced objection to the former's ill-thought misadventurism.

Am certain, the moment Banjo left enugu at the head of Ojukwu rag-tag BLF- Biafran Liberation(sic) Front evidently as a TROJAN HORSE, he knew deep down that he was never coming out of the conflict, alive.

2 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by logicab: 7:45pm On Jun 09, 2016
T9ksy:

Even IF (emphasis mine), the BLF had got to Lagos, it would have been a more fierce battles than Ore
I understand it's nice to hypothesize. But basic war strategy tells me they were doomed. As I pointed out, they were going to cross no less than 6 bridges to get to Lagos. You remember the Battle ofThermopylae? That's the whole idea. Besides many of these bridges could have simply been blown up. Mind you, the BLF numbers was no where near the numbers Nigeria had available to fight (from Ibadan, Abeokuta and Lagos).

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by T9ksy(m): 8:08pm On Jun 09, 2016
logicab:
I understand it's nice to hypothesize. But basic war strategy tells me they were doomed. As I pointed out, they were going to cross no less than 6 bridges to get to Lagos. You remember the Battle ofThermopylae? That's the whole idea. Besides many of these bridges could have simply been blown up. Mind you, the BLF numbers was no where near the numbers Nigeria had available to fight (from Ibadan, Abeokuta and Lagos).

Precisely!!! This is why i dubbed ojukwu's supposedly "lightening strike" to take Lagos nothing more than a suicide mission which even IF it had succeeded, Ojukwu had no means of hanging on to those occupied territories with hostile hosts breathing down his neck at every junctions.

Ojukwu took a huge gamble with his own peoples' lives (not his) but when it became obvious that he had lost the gamble, he didn't even have the sense to the mitigate the impact on his own people by throwing in the towel immediately, instead he clung on like a drowning would cling to a piece of string whilst fully cognisant of the fact that the piece of string is not strong enough to keep him afloat thereby exacerbating his peoples' woes.

Ojukwu only decided to give up on his silly and audacious gamble when his OWN life became apparently on the line.
What a general....................

2 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by logicab: 8:18pm On Jun 09, 2016
T9ksy:

Precisely!!! This is why i dubbed ojukwu's supposedly "lightening strike" to take Lagos nothing more than a suicide mission which even IF it had succeeded, Ojukwu had no means of hanging on to those occupied territories with hostile hosts breathing down his neck at every junctions.
By the way, the other thing many people are not aware of (especially Igbos) was that the move basically ended the attempt by Awolowo to parley with Biafra. There were talks ongoing and it was shocking and embarrassing for Awolowo to find out the person he was trying to ally with had launched a sneak attack while he was extending a handshake. It is therefore comical when Igbos speak of Awolowo as a traitor and blah blah...

2 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by T9ksy(m): 8:42pm On Jun 09, 2016
logicab:
By the way, the other thing many people are not aware of (especially Igbos) was that the move basically ended the attempt by Awolowo to parley with Biafra. There were talks ongoing and it was shocking and embarrassing for Awolowo to find out the person he was trying to ally with had launched a sneak attack while he was extending a handshake. It is therefore comical when Igbos speak of Awolowo as a traitor and blah blah...

Ha, but Ojukwu had already dropped bombs on to lagos killing innocent yorubas in the process before he was eventually stopped at Ore.

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Nobody: 3:49am On Jul 06, 2016
The amount of history on this thread should be kept for posterity.

Our generation will have failed if we let the history go unchronicled
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by Nobody: 3:53am On Jul 06, 2016
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by ilovetheline: 5:41pm On Jul 31, 2016
logicab:
Oh, and on the first coup (January 1966), you have Ifeajuna and this co-travelers to thank for where we find ourselves. Obasanjo, Buhari, Babangida, Abacha...we will probably never have heard of these names if not for their misadventure in January 1966. And the man who thinks they were nationalistic isn't well acquainted with History or logic. The pattern of the coup in several ways pointed at Azikiwe (who was conveniently out of the country at the time of execution and was Ifeajuna's cousin). The story of helping the South West many people regurgitate is simply the lies sold to the only Yoruba amongst them - Ademoyega; and who was the only one to live long enough to tell his side of the story. Maimalari, Ademulegun (and his pregnant wife) and several other high ranking soldiers where murdered in their bedrooms. Were they politicians?

Someone said the NCOs used to execute the coup were mostly Northerners. It appears you don't know what the military is about. Your superiors issue commands, and they are supposed to not follow those commands? Are you aware of the Yoruba soldier Nzeogwu personally shot for not carrying out his orders when he attacked the Sardauna's Palace?
according to nzeogwu all his men consented to be involved. I doubt he was lying about this
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by oyatz(m): 8:22pm On Apr 20, 2017
Please read 'There was a Country' by Prof Chinua Achebe and My Command by Olusegun Obasanjo to have versions of the Midwestern region invasion enroute Lagos.
1)According to Achebe (Biafran Minister of Communication during the war), Biafra troops that invaded Midwest enroute Lagos were about 1000 soldiers.
2) Why was Banjo begging and trying to convince Obasanjo , the then GOC, 2nd Mechanized division of the Nigerian Army,Ibadan for a safe passage through the Yorubaland?
Banjo and Ifeajuna knew their attempt to go beyond Ore enroute Lagos will be tantamount to committing suicide.
Most Igbos love to view this issue emotionally, only from one perspective- that of betrayal, usually passed onto them from their parents and older generations without allowing for contrary critical views or possibility of other perspectives.

quote author=thotsofnaij post=46397730]

Friend you are dreaming if you actually believe that 180 held back 7000 men. With what? A nuclear bomb? The fact is the only resistance they met on their march was cleared away quickly before BAnjo for no reason halted their match. Another officer of igbo extraction who could not understand why Banjo halted the march when the only defense between them and Gowon(at the seat of power) had been cleared away was ordered arrested by Banjo. The officer had to escape when his arrest was about to be affected.

Banjo was asked many times by his commander-in-chief why the hold up and he kept lieing that everything was still progressing while all the time betraying his commander who had in good faith given him command of this strategic and brilliant move.

Go get some understanding. [/quote]
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by EzeCanada: 8:55pm On Apr 20, 2017
ColtPython:
After declaring Biafra, the igbos should have stayed in the east and set up barriers for their borders...

Why Ojukwu decided to march west to capture Lagos still baffles me....

Could it be greed or foolishness?

undecided

I am sure you are familiar with the phrase, " the best form of defence is attack"

Just like football tacticians, Military Generals in the battlefield work out their respective strategy. Some may choose to defend while others to attack and engage their enemies/opponents as the case may be.

Ojukwu perhaps wanted to swiftly invade the seat of power at that time and use it as a bargaining power.
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by ColtPython(m): 7:52am On Apr 24, 2017
EzeCanada:

I am sure you are familiar with the phrase, " the best form of defence is attack"

Just like football tacticians, Military Generals in the battlefield work out their respective strategy. Some may choose to defend while others to attack and engage their enemies/opponents as the case may be.

Ojukwu perhaps wanted to swiftly invade the seat of power at that time and use it as a bargaining power.

And it backfired. The General eventually fled cowardly leaving his people, who trusted him to lick their own sores.

There is no better way to avoid conflicts than dialogue.

Funny you, just replying this post after a lengthy period of time.
Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by EzeCanada: 3:14pm On Apr 24, 2017
ColtPython:

And it backfired. The General eventually fled cowardly leaving his people, who trusted him to lick their own sores.

There is no better way to avoid conflicts than dialogue.

Funny you, just replying this post after a lengthy period of time.

You raised a question, got an answer then swiftly changed the goal post. Alright clap for yourself

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad by ColtPython(m): 4:31pm On Apr 25, 2017
EzeCanada:

You raised a question, got an answer then swiftly changed the goal post. Alright clap for yourself

In fact, I'm clapping back at you sir. undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kogi Governorship Election Official Results From LGAs - Premium Times / Omoba Niyi Aborishade Shot Dead In Lagos (PDP Chairman) / Dr Chinelo's Death: Joyebeneza, The Most Heartless Tweet I Have Seen On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.