Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:25 AM

Ask A Pilot... - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask A Pilot... (106960 Views)

Pilot Saves Baby After Being Involved In A Horrible Accident In Lagos. Photos / Nigerian Pilot, Ademilola, Makes History As First African To Fly The World Solo / Young Pilot Who Flew His Mother: "One Of The Best Days Of My Life" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 7:31pm On Dec 05, 2016
kingreign:

The windows of commercial planes are sealed. You can't jump out to no where embarassed
That said, the most safest places to sit in an aircraft are the rear/tail sides and the area where the wings meet (if the plane has a low wing design).
Wow! Great information you've got here. I am so so filled with excitement to find out this information. I was watching a documentary sometimes ago on sitting position for passenger, when braising for impact.
I love the way questions are been tackled on this thread to, I am always glad to re-visit it.
I see comprehend why the tail region is one of the safest regions, but please help me comprehend why the wing is same for low-winged airplanes.
Also for mid -winged an high-winged airplane's, which region is the safest location(s)
Re: Ask A Pilot... by kingreign(m): 8:55pm On Dec 05, 2016
A quick one pls, does School of Aviation, Zaria, offers training courses for folks who wishes to be pilots, if yes, what type of course do they offer, how well recognized are they and how well sort after are they?
Whats the mode of their admission and when do they start, plus their fees.

Its urgent pls.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 9:12pm On Dec 05, 2016
kingreign:
A quick one pls, does School of Aviation, Zaria, offers training courses for folks who wishes to be pilots, if yes, what type of course do they offer, how well recognized are they and how well sort after are they?

Its urgent pls.
Emmm. The little I know about them as at around 2015 when I was researching on them-
They were about to run SP-31, their tuition fe was about 7.5m and accommodation was about 2.5m, 2 occupants per room, they have an hanger, and fleets of single and dual engine aircrafts. One of the models I remember is the Tampico aircraft grin
I also heard it requires some kind of legs, to gain admission there (don't know how true sha).
I think they admit new intakes twice or thrice a year (not sure), and there is a maximum of 20 students per batch
Emmm, all this was in 2015 sha, before change came into place. Let me take a rear seat and observe those with current/ correct information.

Cc: Mhimi007

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 8:36am On Dec 06, 2016
kingreign:

Its urgent pls.

Kindly take your money and go to America.

3 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by jetabs: 1:54am On Dec 16, 2016
Any licensed aircraft maintenance engineer (rotary wing) here?
Please any information about license requirements and good training institutions for AME will be helpful....finding AMEs for advise and mentorship seem to be a tough job..

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Ikenna17(m): 11:46am On Dec 21, 2016
kingreign:

Its urgent pls.
They do offer pilot courses there, as far as i know admission is based on merit but the exams are a bit tough, I'm a witness to that. if you want more information, you can reach me on phone
Re: Ask A Pilot... by kingreign(m): 11:47am On Dec 21, 2016
Ikenna17:
They do offer pilot courses there, as far as i know admission is based on merit but the exams are a bit tough, I'm a witness to that. if you want more information, you can reach me on phone

Pls, how do I get your number?
Mine is 07034581213.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Ikenna17(m): 12:07pm On Dec 21, 2016
kingreign:

Pls, how do I get your number?
Mine is 07034581213.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by sugah: 7:59pm On Dec 21, 2016
Olisa4all:

Kindly take your money and go to America.
Hmmm. With this new dollar rate, his money might not get him to solo o. Zaria/Ilorin might be better.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by lionlee216(m): 9:17pm On Dec 21, 2016
lionlee216:
A layman is here again.

In cars, we have gears changing from gear 1 to 4 just to increase the speed. In planes, do we have such gears too?

Lets assume Lagos to London is 6hrs at a required speed of let say 200km/hr, can d pilot can just decide to increase the speed to reach destination faster like 4hrs plus or 5hrs?. For example; Like Nigeria, a driver can say if he drives to abuja from lagos, he will spend 8hrs and another can say 7hrs.

They say china is Very far, Australia is far etc. Those presidential jets. Will they stop to refuel or they can destination straight without stopping at neighbouring countries to refuel?

All these falcon x, gulfstream like those in presidential fleet, can y travel long range like from Nigeria to like south Africa, east africa and north africa.

I see A380 is very huge, which Boeing can compete with it in terms of efficiency

Dont tell me to ask google poop grin grin

Cc. Boeing777pilot
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 8:42pm On Dec 23, 2016
sugah:

Hmmm. With this new dollar rate, his money might not get him to solo o. Zaria/Ilorin might be better.

lol@solo...Ilorin has increased fees to N20m o
Re: Ask A Pilot... by mikegeo(m): 12:30am On Dec 25, 2016
There are these small helicopter(dunno their name) they are very small and can accommodate only one person, are they cheap to buy/get? and how fast can they travel?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jerseycounty: 6:16am On Dec 25, 2016
PROMO! PROMO!! PROMO!!!
Order two customized Jerseys of your favourite club
at an affordable price and ..get a free
uncustomized Jersey of your choice... Yeahhhhh!!!
... .. .. .. .. You can hurry now while
the stock last...... The offer is from now till 1st of
January, 2017.....
For more enquiries, please call: 08033124607
whatsapp no: 08033124607,Instagram:
@jerseycounty16,Twitter Handle:@jerseycountyy16
JERSEY COUNTY 16 IS OFFERING YOU THE BEST
AUTHENTIC JERSEY AT AN ATTAINABLE COST

Re: Ask A Pilot... by naruto02(m): 7:07pm On Dec 27, 2016

4 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by okikiosibodu(m): 11:43pm On Dec 27, 2016
Olisa4all:

lol@solo...Ilorin has increased fees to N20m o
Yeepa!!! Even at about 15m, I have still been on the look ou on how to get the fees paid, they now increased it to 20m! This is suicidal o. I was thinking it was rotary wings that was 20m.
I refuse to give up on my dream. It will be achieved one day. How it will happen, I don't know, I just know it will

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ask A Pilot... by sugah: 10:08am On Dec 29, 2016
Aviation is a strange profession. I love it to death, but the strange part is that if I meet my end in my line of work, it's most likely that I'll be blamed.

I'll be blamed long before any proof is brought forward. I'll be blamed by the media, by the people. I'll be blamed by the passengers if they survive. In a week the data recorders will be analysed and then maybe they'll find that it's not my fault. That I fought for hope amidst hopelessness till my dying breath.

Sadly that won't make as good a headline as much as "pilot error", or "pilot veers off runway when aligning for takeoff".

In fact, it was nothing to do with aligning that brought this ill-fated crew to a halt just short the peripheral wall at Dabolim yesterday (December 27).

How I wish I could explain concepts of asymmetric thrust to the number of people passing silent judgment and being armchair jurors. How do I tell someone about how much thrust 27,000 odd pounds is? How do I reiterate what a reverser unlock is? How do I tell the person that the same 27,000 pounds is now in an opposite direction?

Most of the crowd probably doesn't even know what a moment arm or a couple is. They dropped physics in 8th grade as it was too complex. That said, they blame the human machine who earns his bread and butter, putting into practice what they felt was too complicated.

To be honest it's disgusting - flying this kind of passenger and taking responsibility for his life for however long it may be.

How do I explain not being able to see three taxiway lights in front of me to a crowd that says, "anyway you autoland in fog"? How?

It's at the brink of frustration that I'm writing this. Back in the day, an old grey instructor told me, "Son, in this world of civil aviation, its best to be a nameless faceless pilot who does his job and goes home!"

I probably didn't understand it then but now, more than ever, I totally understand. The sad part is it doesn't matter if it is a Cactus 1511 with Sully or the 9W aircraft.

Sadly, with technology improving in the home and workplace, the human has become the weak link. Sometimes one must note that the human is the strongest link. Without them shutting down the malfunctioning engine, the plane might have gone into the terminal, increasing the statistics of loss of life

As an appeal to the non-aviation public, believe that we as pilots love what we do and would never put anyone's life in jeopardy. We are sons, daughters, wives, husbands, parents, just like you. We haven't fallen from the realm of Asgard into the helm of these metal ships. It takes years of hard work to achieve it.

Media folk, this is an appeal to you: It's you who have sensationalised our profession with scandals, malpractices, and so on. Paint the right picture of pilots worldwide. Tell people that we are there to save lives, not take them. Make an honest effort to redeem your name when you're standing at heaven's gates, or you'll probably have the boatman remove you from the boat.

Educate the masses - who you manipulate to get more views - to the actual facts of thrust, lift, weight and drag. Tell them, from start to finish, what happens from takeoff to touchdown.

Do tell them that when they see the wind looping out of the window and the tip moving, there is a hand guiding this giant metal bird through the skies.

http://www.dailyo.in/variety/jet-airways-flight-skids-off-goa-mumbai-runway-pilot-writes-strong-letter/story/1/14769.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask A Pilot... by sugah: 10:13am On Dec 29, 2016
^^^ sadly, the situation is worse in Nigeria where even a natural occurrence such as turbulence is blamed on the pilots.

3 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 6:00pm On Dec 29, 2016
sugah:
^^^ sadly, the situation is worse in Nigeria where even a natural occurrence such as turbulence is blamed on the pilots.

sad and true...

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 6:02pm On Dec 29, 2016
okikiosibodu:

Yeepa!!! Even at about 15m, I have still been on the look ou on how to get the fees paid, they now increased it to 20m! This is suicidal o. I was thinking it was rotary wings that was 20m.
I refuse to give up on my dream. It will be achieved one day. How it will happen, I don't know, I just know it will

The exchange rate is the major issue

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by lollmaolol(m): 9:16pm On Dec 29, 2016
Boeing777pilot:
Mrbigman1

Those comments are not fair on female pilots embarassed

I actually prefer flying with female captains in our Boeing777 fleet they are some of the best. We go through the same rigorous training and nothing separates us in terms of competency.

I see you have apologized though.

Go and sin no more. grin

I just like the way you respond to questions. Kudos, I'd like to fly with you one of these days
Re: Ask A Pilot... by prof1999(m): 1:59am On Dec 30, 2016
please cool pilot
i just got i link to free aviation programme in u-s please as i nigerian can i apply if yes what are the requirement
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 5:49am On Dec 30, 2016
naruto02:

Aircraft dont work in that manner. Piston or jet engines power is increased by increasing/opening the throttle
Before flying, pilots do a pre-flight briefing which includes drafting a flight log. in this flight log they put down the speed (in knots) which they'll fly the plane and also calculate the eta (estimated time of arrival). After that they fill a flight plan with info from the flight log which is forwarded and approved by the air traffic information service. In flight you cannot decide to change your speed without any circumstance arising, even though it does youll have to contact the atis to notify them, there are other aircrafts flying to and taking off from the airport you are going to, spacing has been achieved changing your speed will ruin the calculation.
The presidential jets, it depends on what type of aircraft it is, the endurance as well, calculation for fuel is made in such a way(total fuel for distance+ extra fuel just incase of emergency) but alternate aerodromes are known where landings can be made to refuel, all these will be in the flight plan which was submitted to ATIS
I boarded an airbus A320 to johannesburg total of 8hrs flight. so if this part of a presidents fleet then he's good to go.
The aircraft which can compete with A380 is the B777 but its a partial double decker. Emirates airline boasts of having their entire fleet to be b777 and a380 only

Where are you getting this information?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by naruto02(m): 3:23pm On Dec 30, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Where are you getting this information?
Correction B747 (partial double decker)... thanks for the heads up...
Re: Ask A Pilot... by 9ja4show: 9:02pm On Dec 30, 2016
Why do Nigeria pilot speaks British English whenever I am on a local flight.....I hardly hear the jargons
Re: Ask A Pilot... by sugah: 10:37pm On Dec 30, 2016
^^^ shey they should speak pidgin English ni?
Well, the British colonized nigeria...... So that isn't out of place.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 8:38am On Dec 31, 2016
sugah:
^^^ shey they should speak pidgin English ni?
Well, the British colonized nigeria...... So that isn't out of place.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

9ja4show:
Why do Nigeria pilot speaks British English whenever I am on a local flight.....I hardly hear the jargons

Better pay attention to the jargons, your life could depend on it....

4 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by 9ja4show: 9:30am On Dec 31, 2016
Olisa4all:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Better pay attention to the jargons, your life could depend on it....

Don't worry yourself......
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 10:15am On Dec 31, 2016
9ja4show:

Don't worry yourself......

I'm not worried sir, I always pay attention grin
Re: Ask A Pilot... by prof1999(m): 2:20am On Jan 02, 2017
please boss what is the fee in ilorion college of avition for commercial pilot cos planning there and if i get the admission i have strong faith that i will see sponsors THANKS FOR ANSWERS
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 8:57pm On Jan 05, 2017
For those of us that can't afford the flight school,.....

We stick with our flight sim cool
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 9:00pm On Jan 05, 2017
prof1999:
please boss what is the fee in ilorion college of avition for commercial pilot cos planning there and if i get the admission i have strong faith that i will see sponsors THANKS FOR ANSWERS

Only Christ Embassy members have that faith in this recession. wink

5 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 08, 2017
sugah:
Aviation is a strange profession. I love it to death, but the strange part is that if I meet my end in my line of work, it's most likely that I'll be blamed.

I'll be blamed long before any proof is brought forward. I'll be blamed by the media, by the people. I'll be blamed by the passengers if they survive. In a week the data recorders will be analysed and then maybe they'll find that it's not my fault. That I fought for hope amidst hopelessness till my dying breath.

Sadly that won't make as good a headline as much as "pilot error", or "pilot veers off runway when aligning for takeoff".

In fact, it was nothing to do with aligning that brought this ill-fated crew to a halt just short the peripheral wall at Dabolim yesterday (December 27).

How I wish I could explain concepts of asymmetric thrust to the number of people passing silent judgment and being armchair jurors. How do I tell someone about how much thrust 27,000 odd pounds is? How do I reiterate what a reverser unlock is? How do I tell the person that the same 27,000 pounds is now in an opposite direction?

Most of the crowd probably doesn't even know what a moment arm or a couple is. They dropped physics in 8th grade as it was too complex. That said, they blame the human machine who earns his bread and butter, putting into practice what they felt was too complicated.

To be honest it's disgusting - flying this kind of passenger and taking responsibility for his life for however long it may be.

How do I explain not being able to see three taxiway lights in front of me to a crowd that says, "anyway you autoland in fog"? How?

It's at the brink of frustration that I'm writing this. Back in the day, an old grey instructor told me, "Son, in this world of civil aviation, its best to be a nameless faceless pilot who does his job and goes home!"

I probably didn't understand it then but now, more than ever, I totally understand. The sad part is it doesn't matter if it is a Cactus 1511 with Sully or the 9W aircraft.

Sadly, with technology improving in the home and workplace, the human has become the weak link. Sometimes one must note that the human is the strongest link. Without them shutting down the malfunctioning engine, the plane might have gone into the terminal, increasing the statistics of loss of life

As an appeal to the non-aviation public, believe that we as pilots love what we do and would never put anyone's life in jeopardy. We are sons, daughters, wives, husbands, parents, just like you. We haven't fallen from the realm of Asgard into the helm of these metal ships. It takes years of hard work to achieve it.

Media folk, this is an appeal to you: It's you who have sensationalised our profession with scandals, malpractices, and so on. Paint the right picture of pilots worldwide. Tell people that we are there to save lives, not take them. Make an honest effort to redeem your name when you're standing at heaven's gates, or you'll probably have the boatman remove you from the boat.

Educate the masses - who you manipulate to get more views - to the actual facts of thrust, lift, weight and drag. Tell them, from start to finish, what happens from takeoff to touchdown.

Do tell them that when they see the wind looping out of the window and the tip moving, there is a hand guiding this giant metal bird through the skies.

http://www.dailyo.in/variety/jet-airways-flight-skids-off-goa-mumbai-runway-pilot-writes-strong-letter/story/1/14769.html

touching! That's what we face, Thank God I fly with a wingman/WSO and hope martin baker doesnt Disappoint.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (31) (Reply)

Cost Of Nigerian International Passport / Which Countries Are Visa-Free To Nigeria Citizens? / Nigerian Living In Mexico. Ask Me Any Question About Life Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.