Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,725 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

Ask A Pilot... - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask A Pilot... (106927 Views)

Pilot Saves Baby After Being Involved In A Horrible Accident In Lagos. Photos / Nigerian Pilot, Ademilola, Makes History As First African To Fly The World Solo / Young Pilot Who Flew His Mother: "One Of The Best Days Of My Life" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 11:48am On Jun 08, 2016
Priceless200:
How much and how long does it take to train a pilot to standard and how much does a pilot earn generally, both here and abroad. As there some kind of discrimination between foreign trained pilots and home trained.. Also is Challenger and eeeehhh... (I forgot oo) only for private jets...?

Hmmmmm, I ve got plenty questions ooo.. No vex

Budget around 10m, training time frame PPL to CPL is usually around two years, type rating maybe six months.

Salary scales differ by airlines and country

Don't know about the discrimination sha

Yeah, challenger is for private jets

5 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 12:12pm On Jun 08, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

We use ILS (instrument landing system) when visibility is low, so we trust our instruments and not what we see.

Oga Boeing777 let me add a little to that, correct me if I am wrong; Pilots do 3 things when flying; they Fly, communicate and Navigate?

At times visibility level may be less than 100meters lols cheesy

Instrument Landing System (ILS) becomes a key when you are in such situation to align you with the runway from xx miles and YY high.

In a challenge in FSX, Monsoon approach, I discovered that I had to do 100% exactly what the ATC said in order to land the bird,....If that is truly what you guys see up there? piloting is not for the faint heart shocked

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 12:19pm On Jun 08, 2016
Olisa4all:

Get a gaming laptop, they have high end graphics card coupled with the high specs which would make your flight sim run effortlessly albeit they're expensive..

All lappy have limitations,....flight sims are not for lappy wink

Even i7 lappy will give up on you one day but in desktop, there are rooms for improvement as in, removing and replacing any parts you don't like or want to upgrade wink

I can upgrade my processor, my Vcard, my rams etc
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 12:25pm On Jun 08, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Budget around 10m, training time frame PPL to CPL is usually around two years, type rating maybe six months.

Salary scales differ by airlines and country

Don't know about the discrimination sha

Yeah, challenger is for private jets

10m? shocked shocked embarassed angry

Dreams are fading mehnnn
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 12:41pm On Jun 08, 2016
swagifted:
i believe dia should be tons of flying simulators on ios.. Meanwhile search the appstore.. Got mine on the android platform

Those are just game and not a simulator wink

We only have'

Xplane and Microsoft Flight sim X

Prepar3d bought the ESP from FSX I think in 2006 or so.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 12:46pm On Jun 08, 2016
jude33084:

Oga Boeing777 let me add a little to that, correct me if I am wrong; Pilots do 3 things when flying; they Fly, communicate and Navigate?

At times visibility level may be less than 100meters lols cheesy

Instrument Landing System (ILS) becomes a key when you are in such situation to align you with the runway from xx miles and YY high.

In a challenge in FSX, Monsoon approach, I discovered that I had to do 100% exactly what the ATC said in order to land the bird,....If that is truly what you guys see up there? piloting is not for the faint heart shocked

grin yes boss.
You are largely correct.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 12:54pm On Jun 08, 2016
AgentGoat:
carry your helicopter comot here no cone spoil this tgread for us. Over do dey worry you...

Both of them are under aviation industry bro.

One isn't witch craft grin
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 1:09pm On Jun 08, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

grin yes boss.
You are largely correct.

Hmm thanks.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 1:32pm On Jun 08, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

grin yes boss.
You are largely correct.

Our Speaker Pilot,....Why don't we have a Cessna172 trainer school here in Lagos?

I do Cessna172 and Piper Cherokee single propeller engine virtually though grin

I read manuals and books about them too and I have come to love them for scenery viewing wink

I have A2A C172 SP and its Cherokee counterpart in FSX. According to the review of pilots; the physics feels like the real thing

Can you please give it a try and tell us how you feel about it?

Thanks.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 9:56pm On Jun 08, 2016
jude33084:

Our Speaker Pilot,....Why don't we have a Cessna172 trainer school here in Lagos?

I do Cessna172 and Piper Cherokee single propeller engine virtually though grin

I read manuals and books about them too and I have come to love them for scenery viewing wink

I have A2A C172 SP and its Cherokee counterpart in FSX. According to the review of pilots; the physics feels like the real thing

Can you please give it a try and tell us how you feel about it?

Thanks.

LOL, I have since upgraded, I fly the big Bird now grin
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Olisa4all: 10:20pm On Jun 08, 2016
jude33084:

All lappy have limitations,....flight sims are not for lappy wink

Even i7 lappy will give up on you one day but in desktop, there are rooms for improvement as in, removing and replacing any parts you don't like or want to upgrade wink

I can upgrade my processor, my Vcard, my rams etc

same can be done on a gaming laptop sir
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 8:40pm On Jun 09, 2016
Olisa4all:

same can be done on a gaming laptop sir

..And very expensive too. If you see any below 90K pls hala me. wink
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 11:42am On Jun 10, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

LOL, I have since upgraded, I fly the big Bird now grin

That is the more reason I am asking you to test it. Your view will make me concentrate more since I can't afford aviation school. wink

Thanks.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 3:57pm On Jun 10, 2016
jude33084:

That is the more reason I am asking you to test it. Your view will make me concentrate more since I can't afford aviation school. wink

Thanks.

grin that's not feasible for me at the moment

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Originalsly: 9:22pm On Jun 10, 2016
Moving on!...... just before getting ready to take off or land...you pilots send your air maids hostesses to tell passengers to shut off their cell phones/laptops and other electronic devices. Do the signals from these devices....in this digital century... really interfere with the plane's communication?....or is it just a ehmm....big fat lie they be telling while watching the passengers in the eye?!

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 10:58pm On Jun 10, 2016
P
Originalsly:
Moving on!...... just before getting ready to take off or land...you pilots send your air maids hostesses to tell passengers to shut off their cell phones/laptops and other electronic devices. Do the signals from these devices....in this digital century... really interfere with the plane's communication?....or is it just a ehmm....big fat lie they be telling while watching the passengers in the eye?!

Yes we do. If you fly often, you will most likely hear the pilot say "cabin crew prepare passengers for takeoff or landing.

Yes it causes interference so you can put it in offline mode until the seat belt signs are off. Some of our aircraft support in flight WiFi so devices are not necessarily a bad thing.

4 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Originalsly: 10:43am On Jun 11, 2016
Very good answers!....moving on! Taking off .... from a pretty short runway.... I guess you have to consider the weight of the cargo. How do you know how much you have to power up to take off? Do you guys guess and hope and pray that the plane would take off?.....especially coming back from the US when passengers try to fetch back America.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 2:09pm On Jun 11, 2016
Originalsly:
Very good answers!....moving on! Taking off .... from a pretty short runway.... I guess you have to consider the weight of the cargo. How do you know how much you have to power up to take off? Do you guys guess and hope and pray that the plane would take off?.....especially coming back from the US when passengers try to fetch back America.

Ermmm, my baby the B777 has it's minimum runway length based on the maximum take off weight. If the airport doesn't meet our minimum standard, we don't fly to that airport. Simple.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 7:28am On Jun 12, 2016
Originalsly:

@the bold section though cheesy grin
Re: Ask A Pilot... by jude33084(m): 7:35am On Jun 12, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

grin that's not feasible for me at the moment

I know but had to try lol grin

Do Pilots even have time to spend with their spouse?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 1:15pm On Jun 12, 2016
jude33084:

I know but had to try lol grin

Do Pilots even have time to spend with their spouse?
For those that have, sure.
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 12, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

Good day Bro...., I'm a prospective pilot student as I have contacted some academies in south Africa and by God's grace, I'm hoping to start by August.

Now, my major concern is that, I dropped out of university 3years back and I'm just afraid maybe issues of Bsc will be a barrier when I finish my training in terms of job offer.

Secondly, I wish to do my PPL and Night Rating training in South Africa and then continue my CPL/IR in either UK or US....I want to know if this will be possible and will not be a stress.

Please kindly advice me.

thank you!
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2016
ademolamiowon:

Good day Bro...., I'm a prospective pilot student as I have contacted some academies in south Africa and by God's grace, I'm hoping to start by August.

Now, my major concern is that, I dropped out of university 3years back and I'm just afraid maybe issues of Bsc will be a barrier when I finish my training in terms of job offer.

Secondly, I wish to do my PPL and Night Rating training in South Africa and then continue my CPL/IR in either UK or US....I want to know if this will be possible and will not be a stress.

Please kindly advice me.

thank you!

You are good to go sir.

The BSc will only become an issue IF (God forbid) you don't get a job after your training and want to switch career.

If you can afford it, you can get your CPL anywhere.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 12, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

You are good to go sir.

The BSc will only become an issue IF (God forbid) you don't get a job after your training and want to switch career.

If you can afford it, you can get your CPL anywhere.

All the best.

Thank you Sir....
Re: Ask A Pilot... by Originalsly: 7:03pm On Jun 12, 2016
Doing very well!...moving on!... now let's say the ehmmm...captain and co-pilot?...the two guys flying the plane... what if while over mid ocean while chilling in the lounge they got into a fight over an air hostess and knocked each other out....are air hostesses or maybe one ...trained to operate the communication system and follow instructions from traffic control/whoever?... if not can the plane be remotely controlled and safely brought down?.... or maybe we passengers would be directed to ehmm... reach for the parachutes under the seats and decide when to bail out?!
Re: Ask A Pilot... by phibetakappa: 10:05pm On Jun 12, 2016
The captain and the co-pilot, who actually steers the plane?
Re: Ask A Pilot... by blessedfavoured: 10:50pm On Jun 12, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

But you said you work 20 days a month, and you're on standby the rest of the time. Is there a different schedule for married pilots?

When you have to do really long flights like dxb to jfk for example, do you get to sleep or you have to stay up the whole time? What happens if you doze off?

Can you call in sick when you're already booked to fly? Or you have to go to work regardless ?

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 9:28am On Jun 13, 2016
blessedfavoured:

But you said you work 20 days a month, and you're on standby the rest of the time. Is there a different schedule for married pilots?

When you have to do really long flights like dxb to jfk for example, do you get to sleep or you have to stay up the whole time? What happens if you doze off?

Can you call in sick when you're already booked to fly? Or you have to go to work regardless ?

Yeah we work around 20 days per month could be slightly less or more that's just an average.

If I'm unable to fly due to illness or other cogent reasons, I will be given time off so some else who is on standby is called up to replace me.

There's no different schedule for married pilots, the ones without Bae spend their free time on other things.

For intercontinental flights, assuming it's a 14 hour flight , a set of pilots fly the first seven hours, another set does the remaining 7 hours.

3 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 9:32am On Jun 13, 2016
phibetakappa:
The captain and the co-pilot, who actually steers the plane?

It's shared for example if captain handles take off, copilot handles landing and vice versa.

At different points during the flight, they exchange control of the aircraft.

The captain only assumes unilateral control in the event of an emergency or difficult situation.

3 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Boeing777pilot: 9:35am On Jun 13, 2016
Originalsly:
Doing very well!...moving on!... now let's say the ehmmm...captain and co-pilot?...the two guys flying the plane... what if while over mid ocean while chilling in the lounge they got into a fight over an air hostess and knocked each other out....are air hostesses or maybe one ...trained to operate the communication system and follow instructions from traffic control/whoever?... if not can the plane be remotely controlled and safely brought down?.... or maybe we passengers would be directed to ehmm... reach for the parachutes under the seats and decide when to bail out?!
We take the safety of our passengers seriously so
That's highly unlikely sha.

2 Likes

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 13, 2016
Discovered that Emirates entry-level FAs earn a maximum of N525,000/month, with a shared apartment complex paid by the company.

1 Like

Re: Ask A Pilot... by Originalsly: 10:12am On Jun 13, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

We take the safety of our passengers seriously so
That's highly unlikely sha.
Hmmmm..... sounds like a PR response! Sure!...the reason may be unlikely.... but in recent years we learned of pilot hijackings and taking planes on suicide runs. With this in mind we must consider the possibility of pilot injuries in the cockpit. That aside... the question remains the same.... are air hostesses or any crew member trained to operate communication equipment in such an emergency?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Cost Of Nigerian International Passport / Which Countries Are Visa-Free To Nigeria Citizens? / Nigerian Living In Mexico. Ask Me Any Question About Life Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.