Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,882 members, 7,806,545 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties (1770 Views)

New Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli I, Coronated At Ode Itsekiri Yesterday / The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by AloyEmeka6: 11:31pm On Aug 19, 2009
Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Yoruba, Itsekiri leaders meet to renew ties

From Niyi Bello, Akure

THE process of renewal of the old political ties between the Yoruba people of South Western Nigeria and the Itsekiri nationality of Delta State, commenced on Monday as leaders of thought from both sides met at the Akure, Ondo State home of Afenifere leader, Chief Reuben Fasoranti, "towards uniting all the progressive elements in the western part of the country".

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/aug/19/29.html

A political alignment between the two nationalities, which had been forged at the time of the defunct Western Region prior to the creation of the Mid-Western region that separated them administratively, continued throughout the First and Second Republics with the Itsekiri always voting along the pattern of the Yoruba political direction.

Even during the agitation for the restoration of the June 12, 1993, presidential mandate of late Chief M.K.O. Abiola, the Itsekiri nationality fought gallantly on the side of their Yoruba compatriots through the National Democratic Coalition (NADECO) and in the process, lost an illustrious son and a known financier of progressive forces, Chief Alfred Rewane.

With the outcome of the 1999 polls, however, when the minority group voted against the tide of the Western political equation, the Itsekiri seemed to have severed the umbilical cord that tied them to the Yoruba nation, a development which the Monday meeting sought to redress.

At the meeting attended by prominent indigenes of Itsekiri, among whom was the widow of the late Rewane and members of Afenifere, the pan-Yoruba socio-cultural movement, it was resolved that a new vista of co-operation must be opened for the two groups to support each other and create an avenue for unity.

A statement issued at the end of the meeting and signed by representatives of the two groups, "acknowledged the historical, social and political ties between the two nationalities over the years and expressed joy at the renewal of these old ties.

"The meeting resolved to strengthen the bond and age-long ties between our various peoples and to have the Itsekiri people represented at all future meetings of Afenifere, in recognition of the fact that the Itsekiri are a sub-set of the Yoruba ethnic stock, like the Akure and Ijebu, among others, and that whatever fate befalls the Itsekiri affects all Yoruba.

"The meeting further acknowledged the need for unity of all the progressives in Nigeria and believes that the unity of the Western progressives is a prerequisite for the larger unity and also resolved that Afenifere members will also attend future meetings of the Itsekiri Leaders of Thought".

The list of attendants at the meeting include Senator Mojisoluwa Akinfenwa, Chief Olu Falae, Ayo Opadokun, and the host, Fasoranti on the Afenifere side, with Chiefs Hope Harriman, Willie Edema Ofoni, Isaac Jemide, Adolor Okotie-Eboh and Tony Ede, A.S. Mene, J.S.O. Ayomike and Etsijolomi from the Itsekiri side.
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by tamme: 2:16am On Dec 16, 2009
good development
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by foyeks2001(f): 10:56am On Dec 16, 2009
good to hear that
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by sjeezy8: 1:12am On Dec 17, 2009
great !
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by AndreUweh(m): 1:15am On Dec 18, 2009
There should be ties or renewed ties between the Afenifere, Kwara and Oku people in Kogi state than trying to buy over the Itsekiris.
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by aljharem(m): 2:58am On Nov 09, 2010
hmmm
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by Nobody: 4:36am On Nov 09, 2010
Now the YORUBA leaders need to unite within themselves too.

I already loff the connection between the Ondo/Ekiti ties. cool
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by jason12345: 4:50am On Nov 09, 2010
we itsekiris are with you o jare! wink
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by Afam4eva(m): 10:22am On Nov 09, 2010
jason12345:

we itsekiris are with you o jare! wink

I don know say na here i go see you. It's actually a good development. I hope Ikwerres and those Ika Igbos will learn from this.
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by oludashmi(f): 2:53pm On Nov 09, 2010
Very good development!

Andre Uweh:

There should be ties or renewed ties between the Afenifere, Kwara and Oku people in Kogi state than trying to buy over the Itsekiris.
Who is buying over who, do you know history at all? I hope to see the day you will make sense lipsrsealed

afam4eva:

I don know say na here i go see you. It's actually a good development. I hope Ikwerres and those Ika Igbos will learn from this.
Good!
Andre uweh, this should have been your comment cos it has always bothered you. undecided
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by vicenzo(m): 6:13pm On Nov 15, 2010
Good development,they should do the same with does yoruba groups who are in kwara and kogi states.I wish ekpeye people do reason like itshekiri people.
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by Omenani(m): 8:49pm On Nov 15, 2010
This is very good development. Cultural ties should never be broken for political expediency. Welcomed news!
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by abadaba(m): 4:03pm On Nov 24, 2010
vicenzo:

Good development,they should do the same with does yoruba groups who are in kwara and kogi states.I wish ekpeye people do reason like itshekiri people.
The Ekpeye people are Igbo people. Politically we do not look up to south east and gains nothing from there. As a result, we are clamouring for a state that will bring us to South east. That is Orashi state. This state will bring Ekpeye and Ogba/Ndoni to Oguta in Imo state.
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by vicenzo(m): 5:26pm On Nov 24, 2010
@abadaba.Good to know that,now i think Anioma and Orashi states are the two states that ndi igbo needs most,they should be created and given to south east,every other state agitation from igboland should only come after these two.
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by AndreUweh(m): 7:24pm On Nov 24, 2010
[d
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by AndreUweh(m): 7:31pm On Nov 24, 2010
Ndigbo needs Orashi, Aba, Anioma, Njaba and Adada states. Njaba and Anioma leads the pack.
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by vicenzo(m): 8:56pm On Nov 24, 2010
@andre. I dont think ndi igbo needs aba state and adada state(nsukka state),why should what belong to every tribe in igboland be given to one tribe,out of the 17 lgas in abia ngwa and their brother ukwa has 9(isialangwa north and south,aba north and south,obingwa,ugwunagbo,osisioma,ukwa east and west), which is more than half of the lgas in abia state,the question is why should ngwa who are the majority in abia state be looking for another state,does it mean they cant compete with other groups in abia despite their population? Ngwa should learn to unite and be the head they should be in abia state rather than perenial deputy they have reduced themselves to due to their disunity and they should stop this their aba state whatever.
Re: Yoruba, Itsekiri Leaders Meet To Renew Ties by aljharem(m): 4:52am On Nov 26, 2010
good, i think ikwerri and co should do the same with there brothers

(1) (Reply)

Urgent! Igbo Soap Script Wanted / 18-year-old Indian Girl Marries A Stray Dog As Part Of Bizarre Tribal Ritual / Meet The African Tribe That Is Forbidden To Marry, And Only Walks With 2 Toes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.