Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria (5195 Views)

I Want To Start Programming,, Where Should I Start From?? / I Want To Learn Programming In 2018 / Where Can I Learn Programming In Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by larisoft: 11:20am On May 23, 2016
1. A laptop:

This is obviously a no brainer, but its mentioned deliberately here because in Nigeria, learning programming with Desktop computers as opposed to laptops usually wont work; thanks to epileptic power supply. The specs of the laptop is dependent on the type of programming you intend to do.

For Game Programming:
a. Laptop must have 8GB or more RAM memory
b. Laptop must have atleast Core i7- 6820HK processor
c. Laptop screen resolution should be 1920 x 1080 or higher
d. Laptop should come with Nvidia or GForce graphis card . –Never buy a laptop that comes with Intel dedicated graphics if you intend to do gaming.
e. Laptop should have minimum of 250gb hard disk.

For Desktop/Mobile App Programming:
a. Your laptop should be atleast 4gb Ram.
b. Processor should be core i5 or higher
c. At least 500gb hard disk space (for heavy duty IDEs)

For Web Programming :
a. Your laptop should be not less than 2g ram (can be less if you intend to not use localhost xampp/wampp servers.
b. Your laptop processor is not too important. Most decent laptops you will be offered will do except you intend to rely on IDEs as opposed to text editors like sublime text, notepad++.
c. At least 50GB hard disk space.

A laptop that is good for game programming, is good for all types of programming. While a laptop that is good for desktop/mobile app programming, will serve excellently for web programming as well. If you are on a low budget and target the laptop for web programming, you should know that it will be difficult to use it for gaming or for desktop/app programming.

More about laptops: Lenovo laptops are very strong but are harder to maintain (i.e. replace parts). Toshiba/Dell laptops are also good looking and strong, but most usually have battery problems after about 3 years (e.g. Plugged in; not Charging). HP Laptops are more fragile but are very easy to maintain since their parts are sold everywhere in Nigeria. HP Laptops, therefore, while neither the strongest, nor the most asthetically pleasing amongst available brands, seems to be the most pragmatic choice, especially when you are not doing game programming.

Also note that while older laptops are very tempting due to their lower prices, finding their parts (i.e. batteries) may be impossible.

2. Extra Batteries for your laptop:

Not knowing this is one of the reasons why many people are yet to take that leap into programming in Nigeria. You cannot depend on the power authorities in this part of the world for anything you deem “Important”. Hence, you must keep your power source under control by investing in batteries that will keep you going for at least a day after they’ve “taken the light” – after which you could go to the nearest “barber” shop and recharge them – and keep going.
While buying batteries, take the time to test each of them. Insert a cd/dvd in your laptop cdrom and take note of how fast the battery drains while the dvd/cd is playing. If it drains too fast; the battery is likely bad.

3. Atleast 9GB worth of Data each month:

You will need at least 9GB worth of data each month. This is because you will spend a lot of time online. If you intend to rely on video tutorials as opposed to text tutorials, you will need about 30gb each month.
Airtel Nigeria currently offers a data plan of 9G for 3500. This is really good for programmers on a low budget that live in eastern Nigeria and depend on text-based tutorials as Airtel coverage is better than Glo’s in this part of the country.
If, however, you are in northern or western Nigeria, then Glo has a lot of salivating data plans.

4. A good smartphone:

During your programming journey, every minute counts. When you are on the bus or waiting for someone at a park, you should be able to take out your phone and read a programming article or two. Also, you should keep in contact with good developers (like myself of course) using whatsapp.
As time goes on, you may also decide to go into mobile programming (a very sought after field) and your phone will come in handy then too.

5. Time…Lots of Time

We all have 24 hours a day and there’s nothing we can do to add anything on top of that. However, we can maximize our time by trimming our schedule greedily. My recommendation: Put off all social interactions till weekend. That alone should give you a 30 percent hike in available time. Trim your budget too so you don’t have to work anymore than you need to.

I believe every newbie should immerse him/herself in code for at least 4 hours each day. It can should be much higher, but 4 hours is minimum in my opinion.

Do you think I missed some tools? Kindly express your thoughts in the comment section. And please come back again tommorrow for another Nigerian Based programming article.

Source: https://larisoftng..com.ng/2016/05/tools-you-need-to-start-programming-in.html

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by mexzony: 12:20pm On May 23, 2016
I can't emphasize on the extra power source.for me phcn almost made me frustrated so had to go and get a power full back up.
Had to purchase this power bank.
Massive 200000mah.
It helps me now and I can program all day.
PHCN is bleeped up.

1 Like

Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by blenyo11(m): 1:30pm On May 23, 2016
mexzony:
I can't emphasize on the extra power source.for me phcn almost made me frustrated so had to go and get a power full back up.
Massive 200000mah.
PHCN is bleeped up.

How good is this backup
And how can I get one
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by mexzony: 2:16pm On May 23, 2016
blenyo11:

How good is this backup
And how can I get one
dude i can tell you its really good. am using it as i type as as usual PHCN is no where to be found..
i would not have bought it if it was not good at all.
to get it a guy here on nairaland sells it. i can give you his info if you need it.
at the end of the day the choice is yours.
cheers.
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by blenyo11(m): 2:34pm On May 23, 2016
mexzony:

dude i can tell you its really good. am using it as i type as as usual PHCN is no where to be found..
i would not have bought it if it was not good at all.
to get it a guy here on nairaland sells it. i can give you his info if you need it.
at the end of the day the choice is yours.
cheers.
Okay
The contact please
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by mexzony: 2:54pm On May 23, 2016
blenyo11:

Okay
The contact please
here his contact
07030387365- Nkadoj.
follow him on whatsapp.he has good rapport.
we talked alot for like two months cos i was not around but we were constantly chatting and he responds well.
goodluck to you.
cheers.
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by eNelo(f): 3:23pm On May 23, 2016
Programmers need discipline. People who cant shun distractions and squarely face what they are doing regardless of how many bumps they get along the way(bugs) will become mediocre programmers at best. A good programmer has the ability to focus on what the code, and when they occasionally lose focus, take a break and go right back to having the compiler tell you how dumb humans really are.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by larisoft: 5:23pm On May 23, 2016
mexzony:
Massive 200000mah.
PHCN is bleeped up.

Wow! Thanks for contributing to this, bro. This is type of input I was looking forward to.
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by larisoft: 5:25pm On May 23, 2016
eNelo:
Programmers need discipline. People who cant shun distractions and squarely face what they are doing regardless of how many bumps they get along the way(bugs) will become mediocre programmers at best. A good programmer has the ability to focus on what the code, and when they occasionally lose focus, take a break and go right back to having the compiler tell you how dumb humans really are.

I concur!
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by EdDave(m): 2:45pm On May 25, 2016
How much did that powerbank go for and how many mAh is it?
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by oluwaskulboy(m): 9:56pm On May 25, 2016
DEVELOPING AN ANDROID APP, WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW. http://techzone.com.ng/2016/05/05/developing- android-app-know/
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by dabigjoe6(m): 7:43am On May 26, 2016
PLEASE WHATS THE PRICE OF THE POWER BANK
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by mexzony: 9:36am On May 26, 2016
dabigjoe6:
PLEASE WHATS THE PRICE OF THE POWER BANK
It costs roughly 30k.
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 11:06pm On May 29, 2016
Can't u programme with ur smartphone??
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by dabigjoe6(m): 12:30am On May 30, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:
Can't u programme with ur smartphone??
To programme with your smartphone only is just like travelling from Nigeria to USA on a bycicle....

2 Likes

Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by CodeHouse: 12:47am On May 30, 2016
eNelo:

That's it
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by timotew: 2:55am On May 30, 2016
I did not follow all your list but I think it too expensive my 8GB Corei5 2.7GHZ MacBook Pro serves me Good.

Tip: Your website can't be crawled by search engine because that template you switched to is 80% javascript and as at the time am typing if you are not on Node.js to use PhantonjS to pre render non of your contents will get traffic from the search engines.

Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by Booyakasha(f): 3:53am On May 30, 2016
timotew:
I did not follow all your list but I think it too expensive my 8GB Corei5 2.7GHZ MacBook Pro serves me Good.

Tip: Your website can't be crawled by search engine because that template you switched to is 80% javascript and as at the time am typing if you are not on Node.js to use PhantonjS to pre render non of your contents will get traffic from the search engines.

i think Google crawls for content not javascript? please explain better..?
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 7:42am On May 30, 2016
dabigjoe6:

To programme with your smartphone only is just like travelling from Nigeria to USA on a bycicle....
How??
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by timotew: 1:36pm On May 30, 2016
Booyakasha:

i think Google crawls for content not javascript? please explain better..?
JavaScript works on the DOM(Document Object Model), DOM will inly be loaded after the document has completed loading. but Search engine crawlers are not built to allow javascript to load for security reasons, Remember bots are computers too allowing javascript can give attackers access to some of their contents.

Long story short The template will rendered after :
1.document has been loaded then
2. DOM has been loaded
3. Java script will start running.

but search crawlers don't wait or enable step 2 AND 3 They do their work in between step 1 to 2.
let say it 1a.
JavaScript is great for user experience but for contents you want on search result there are two options, 1. pre-render 2. build html version.
Node.js tackle this with option .1 using phantomJs. Facebook and Google tackle this by building a Classic (PURE HTML ) Version / mobile version which falls under option 2.
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by eDoc: 12:59pm On Jun 02, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

How??

you want to get to the states in roughly 13hrs or less,with a bicycle it would take you 13months or more,putting into consideration the weather,obstacles,fatigue,hazard,time input,terrain,border crossing,your backpack/luggage,health,days and night of camping,endangerment from wild animals,deflation/reinflation of your tire and more all this would have been avoided if you had just use a 13hrs flight i.e a computer/laptop

1 Like

Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 10:21pm On Jun 02, 2016
eDoc:

you want to get to the states in roughly 13hrs or less,with a bicycle it would take you 13months or more,putting into consideration the weather,obstacles,fatigue,hazard,time input,terrain,border crossing,your backpack/luggage,health,days and night of camping,endangerment from wild animals,deflation/reinflation of your tire and more all this would have been avoided if you had just use a 13hrs flight i.e a computer/laptop
Nice Illustration.

What About Having A Chromebook.
I Learnt U Can Install Linux On It
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jun 02, 2016
How far na.. your game programming laptop,the processor is 6th gen core i7.. how many people can even buy 4th gen.. i think i am lazy towards programming, and also scared. i got stuck in classes and objects
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by dabigjoe6(m): 7:19am On Jun 03, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

Nice Illustration.

What About Having A Chromebook.
I Learnt U Can Install Linux On It
yea you can but most chrome books contains low specs which will be ok for low processor and ram programming
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by joey150(m): 9:50am On Jun 03, 2016
Mehn, i like this programming stuff..but i see it as wasting time when time is money.
We are not ripe for this ish in Nigeria very well yet.
And it requires too much dedication,as a student and a business guy i certainly dont have that time now Even.

Lol money on my mind...i can later pay all you guys to code for me. grin
Good job anyway!
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by mexzony: 12:52pm On Jun 03, 2016
joey150:
Mehn, i like this programming stuff..but i see it as wasting time when time is money.
And it requires too much dedication,as a student and a business guy i certainly dont have that time now Even.

Good job anyway!
Just make sure you stack billions when we code for you cos we go charge you eh. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by africanman85: 7:21pm On Jun 03, 2016
mexzony:
It costs roughly 30k.
How long does it last on a signal charge ?

1 Like

Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by mexzony: 10:29am On Jun 04, 2016
africanman85:
How long does it last on a signal charge ?
Dude the thing can take yiy the whole day on full charge.
It depends on your laptop battery but I use mine for hours and the thing has not even dropped in capacity .
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by dabigjoe6(m): 3:56pm On Jun 04, 2016
joey150:

Good job anyway!
programming is mainly a career its not something you jump into bcus u feel like
Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jun 04, 2016
Not being easy combining coding with studies.

1 Like

Re: Tools You Must Have To Start Programming In Nigeria by mubitechnology: 5:08am On Jun 06, 2016
AdmiralDru:
Not being easy combining coding with studies.

seriously is not easy combining engineering and programming especially here in kano, when people think you are wasting your time and NEPA are not helping matters.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Code Your Own Personal Assistant In Python / I'm Leaving Nairaland But Not Without A Gift For ALL Programmers! / Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.