Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks (1140 Views)

EFCC Gets New Operational Vehicles, Pics Of EFCC Boss Magu Test Driving Them / $22.3m Cash: CCB Gets Fresh Request On Ex-first Lady Patience / EFCC Gets Order To Remand Chief Femi Fani-kayode For Three Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by adaweezy(m): 4:27pm On May 23, 2016
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC has applied for a 30 day remand warrant pursuant to section 264 of the administration of criminal justice law of lagos 2011 to hold a former Minister of aviation and director of the Goodluck Jonathan campaign organization Chief Femi Fani Kayode before an ikeja magisterial Court.
The EFCC had earlier held Fani Kayode in Abuja for 14 days pursuant to a warrant granted by an Abuja magistrate court.
Counsel to The former aviation minister opposed the EFCC’s exparte application stating that it was a breach of his clients fundamental human rights and an abuse of court process as a fundamental human rights enforcement suit was currently before an FCT high court and it would be an abuse of court process if the application is granted by the magistrate court.
Wale Balogun the counsel to Fani Kayode has also applied orally for bail to be granted to his client as the EFCC is abusing court processes.
The magistrate Mrs B. O Osunsanmi stood down the case for an hour before delivering her ruling.
She held that the Defence counsel failed to attach evidence of a pending fundamental human rights suits before her court. The honourable magistrate thereafter granted the EFCC an order to hold the respondent for three weeks.
After the ruling Fani Kayode consulted with his lawyers before being whisked away by the EFCC.
Culled from http://www.lawyard.ng/efcc-gets-fresh-remand-warrant-to-hold-fani-kayode-fo/

1 Like

Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by adaweezy(m): 4:31pm On May 23, 2016
Lalasticlala how far na?? How market

1 Like

Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by dechriscool(m): 4:42pm On May 23, 2016
Nigeria gradually tilting to a state of anarchy and dictatorship.No thanks to Bubu and his agents of chain- EFCC.
Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by DaBullIT(m): 4:48pm On May 23, 2016
An old prayer , though evergreen is Thy will be done

My guy , my will has been done

Now i want confessions and proofs that this murdafurka actually admitted to stealing public funds

when that is done, i will mention those of them who were defending FFK as if he pays their bills

and thereafter , I want to hear the news of Jonathan's arrest

Again, Let they will be done ....

1 Like

Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by seunlayi(m): 4:58pm On May 23, 2016
Tell me someone that has been in a top government position since 1960 that did steal? and why targeting GEJ campaign fund alone, sey na stone All Promises Canceled use to campaign?

1 Like

Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by plaetton: 5:10pm On May 23, 2016
I am not a lawyer, but please can lawyers in the house please enlighten me.

First, how and why are we talking about bail when No single charge has been proffered against FFK?
Bail for what?

Secondly, what century are we in and country are we in where COURTS, the final arbiters and guarantors of Constitutional freedoms, grants an agency, the EFCC, the authority to hold a non- violent civilian, not a terrorist, not an enemy combatant in a war, in detention without charge for 14 days, and then extends it for another period?

Nigerians, please wake up from your stupor.
This is full scale FASCISM.
Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by adaweezy(m): 5:19pm On May 23, 2016
plaetton:
I am not a lawyer, but please can lawyers in the house please enlighten me.

First, how and why are we talking about bail when No single charge has been proffered against FFK?
Bail for what?

Secondly, what century are we in and country are we in where COURTS, the final arbiters and guarantors of Constitutional freedoms, grants an agency, the EFCC, the authority to hold a non- violent civilian, not a terrorist, not an enemy combatant in a war, in detention without charge for 14 days, and then extends it for another period?

Nigerians, please wake up from your stupor.
This is full scale FASCISM.
264(1) of the ACJL resolves your question. For more information get a lawyer to explain it.
Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by plaetton: 5:29pm On May 23, 2016
adaweezy:
264(1) of the ACJL resolves your question. For more information get a lawyer to explain it.

Kindly quote the law. I want understand the letter and spirit of such law.

And then isn't it funny, suspicious and even immoral that the EFCC moves a suspect , who has not been charged , from one state to another just for the purpose of taking advantage of an innocuous State law favoring unconstitutional detention?

If that is not the definition of dishonesty and corruption of system of justice, then I don't know what is?
Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by adaweezy(m): 6:53pm On May 23, 2016
plaetton:

Kindly quote the law. I want understand the letter and spirit of such law.

And then isn't it funny, suspicious and even immoral that the EFCC moves a suspect , who has not been charged , from one state to another just for the purpose of taking advantage of an innocuous State law favoring unconstitutional detention?

If that is not the definition of dishonesty and corruption of system of justice, then I don't know what is?
I already gave you the section of the law would I catch fish for you??
Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by plaetton: 7:16pm On May 23, 2016
adaweezy:

I already gave you the section of the law would I catch fish for you??

I know you did.
But, for we lay people, quoting section 264 or 261 of acjl doesn't mean anything.

Since I assume, that you are familiar with the aforementioned section, kindly read it out to us, as you know that lay people like us don't carry around the criminal codes of Lagos state in our pockets.

I am just curious to see under what context the law says that a person that does not pose an existential threat to the society can be detained for 30 days or more without a Single charge.

Pls forgive my curiosity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by adaweezy(m): 8:33pm On May 23, 2016
plaetton:

I know you did.
But, for we lay people, quoting section 264 or 261 of acjl doesn't mean anything.

Since I assume, that you are familiar with the aforementioned section, kindly read it out to us, as you know that lay people like us don't carry around the criminal codes of Lagos state in our pockets.

I am just curious to see under what context the law says that a person that does not pose an existential threat to the society can be detained for 30 days or more without a Single charge.

Pls forgive my curiosity.
264(1) "Any person arrested for any offence triable on information shall within a reasonable time of arrest be brought before a Magistrate for remand and the Magistrate shall have powers to remand such a person after examining the reasons for the arrests exhibited in the request form filed by the police, and if satisfied that there is probable cause to remand such person pending legal of the Director of Public Prosecutions or the arraignment of such person before the appropriate court or tribunal"

Abacha vs the state, bamayi vs the state and Fawenhinmi vs the state all agree that of a person can influence proceedings whilst free then such a person should not be granted bail.
Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by plaetton: 10:21pm On May 23, 2016
adaweezy:
264(1) "Any person arrested for any offence triable on information shall within a reasonable time of arrest be brought before a Magistrate for remand and the Magistrate shall have powers to remand such a person after examining the reasons for the arrests exhibited in the request form filed by the police, and if satisfied that there is probable cause to remand such person pending legal of the Director of Public Prosecutions or the arraignment of such person before the appropriate court or tribunal"

Abacha vs the state, bamayi vs the state and Fawenhinmi vs the state all agree that of a person can influence proceedings whilst free then such a person should not be granted bail.

Thank you very much.

However, Abacha and Bamaiyi were both charged for murder and conspiracy ,.. Capital offences for which there were reasonable expectations of flight risks and possible dangers to witnesses.

My point is that once a person has been charged, the judge has the discretion to grant , set conditions, or deny bail it serves the public interest.

However, in this and similar cases of recent, the EFCC and the courts remanding suspects during the investigation of a crime, without charges as opposed to best rule of law practice of arresting people, charging them, and then remanding them in custody for public interest.

EFCC and the courts are basically affirming the guilt of a mere 'person of interest' in an ongoing investigation , even before a bona fide crime has been duly established to have been committed.

This is atrocious, an insult to standard Democratic norms, and a grave danger to every Nigerian.

It be you or I , or our friends and family members tomorrow.
Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by plaetton: 10:22pm On May 23, 2016
adaweezy:

Thank you very much.

However, Abacha and Bamaiyi were both charged for murder and conspiracy ,.. Capital offences for which there were reasonable expectations of flight risks and possible dangers to witnesses.

My point is that once a person has been charged, the judge has the discretion to grant , set conditions, or deny bail it serves the public interest.

However, in this and similar cases of recent, the EFCC and the courts remanding suspects during the investigation of a crime, without charges as opposed to best rule of law practice of arresting people, charging them, and then remanding them in custody for public interest.

EFCC and the courts are basically affirming the guilt of a mere 'person of interest' in an ongoing investigation , even before a bona fide crime has been duly established to have been committed.

This is atrocious, an insult to standard Democratic norms, and a grave danger to every Nigerian.

It could be you or I , or our friends and family members tomorrow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks by BERNIMOORE: 11:07pm On May 23, 2016
plaetton:

Thank you very much.

It could be you or I , or our friends and family members tomorrow.
Guy Unless the Fani-kayode is poisoined or killed, i trust his Game, he will rubbish them, just watch, you can quote me.

(1) (Reply)

Leaked! Buhari’s London Trip Is For A Secret Negotiation Meeting With The Niger / Senate Warns President Buhari To Stop Committing Impeachable Offences / OMG! See How Notorious Kidnappers Escaped From Kuje Prisons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.