Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers (14518 Views)

Another $202m Missing From NIA Coffers – Reps / PDP Announces ‘amnesty’ For Sheriff, Cairo, Others / Amnesty For Treasury Looters Bill Will Legitimise Corruption – Balarabe Musa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by mikron(m): 11:17pm On May 23, 2016
The Chairman, Senate Committee on Gas, Senator Bassey Akpan, on Monday advocated special amnesty for owners of Nigeria’s stolen money, stashed in the various banks all over the World in order to generate enough forex to drive the nation’s economy.

Akpan, who stated this in his office while addressing journalists, explained that the country currently have hundreds of billions of dollars stashed in various banks abroad and the countries where they were kept, are using them to drive their own economy while Nigerians are suffering.
He said, “The time has come when we have to think outside the box and my own position is this, it is possible that the government can declare amnesty on stolen money. Let every Nigerian that has taken money out of this country be given amnesty to bring back the money and invest in the country.

“We have hundreds of billions of dollars stashed outside the country in the international banks which are being used to drive their economy. Other countries are enjoying this money while we are suffering in Nigeria.

“When owners of the Nigeria’s stolen foreign currencies bring them back to the country as a result of the amnesty, a lot of foreign exchange can be generated to fund our local consumption and we can set target.”

He said those who had stolen the nation’s money and taken them abroad, would in the process, be encouraged to bring back, 70 percent of the money and invest in Nigeria’s economy.

He described as unnecessary, the current pains, which an average Nigerian was being subjected to when the government have what it takes to turn the economy around in their favour.

He said, “Why are we suffering in the midst of plenty? Amnesty was created for militancy, we should create amnesty for anybody that has taken money outside this country so that they can invest them in the country. We can generate a hundred billion dollar in the process in less than six months.

“We need enough forex to fund our importation, rebuild our industries, establish capacity locally and import raw materials for industries before thinking of exporting finished products.

Where we are as a country now, we should begin to look inward.

“One thing is to fight corruption another thing is to let your battle as a fighter of corruption yield the appropriate results. Our economy based on the statistics available to us has gone into full blown recession. There is reduction in revenue collection based on the basis of oil export because of the dwindling global oil crisis.

“The cost of producing a barrel of crude in Nigeria is about $35 per barrel and it is being sold for $48. That means that as a country we earn less than $13 per barrel.

“Countries like Saudi Arabia, and Iran and other co-OPEC countries had fallen back on their quantity to meet up their demands but in Nigeria, where we are losing 800 barrels of oil per day when we are also supposed to be boosting our production.

“We are expected to use income from oil to develop other sectors of the economy. That is why I believe very strongly that, since some countries had also done it in the past, Nigeria also needs to grant amnesty to those who are in possession of our money that we need to develop.

http://www.punchng.com/senator-seeks-amnesty-looters/

4 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by slimfit1(m): 11:28pm On May 23, 2016
Bring back 70 % what a useless senator this man is so what should we do with the rest of the 30 % leave it for their families to enjoy what about the interest it might have a cumulated all these years. We have so many useless senators in this country.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by rusher14: 11:41pm On May 23, 2016
Akpan.
grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:50pm On May 23, 2016
The Senator has no moral compass. I don't care whether any loot is recovered or not. Anybody found guilty of corruption should pay the price.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by donsteady(m): 11:54pm On May 23, 2016
This Senetor has no moral boundaries. Do you really care about consequence of what you are trying to encourage? This guy is just too shallow to make laws.
My country is in a deep shitt. How did we get here? This is one of our law makers for damn sake! No shame at all. He is indirectly now saying bring in the illegal looted funds and legalize it here.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by KINGinVAHALA: 12:06am On May 24, 2016
I know he is a PDP member, that's how they behave over there.

No wonder their former Jesus said stealing isn't corruption.

HAVE YOU SUPPORTED REFINER TODAY?
SUPPORT AND VOTE REFINER FOR MISS NAIRALAND 2016

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by Businessideas: 12:17am On May 24, 2016
Now I believe truly that the noose is tightening around their necks. They are jittery. UK they can't go, Dubai runs don finish, America nko? Trump will finish them.No peace for the wicked and corrupt in Nigeria again
Lobatan cheesy

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by Delphi(m): 12:23am On May 24, 2016
This man lacks the depth to be a Senator of the Federal Republic. Sometimes I ask why this brain that God graciously gave everyone free of charge does not work in some people's own. How dare you say such, Mr Akpan. In fact, to help you out: government will repatriate all funds looted and stashed away in foreign lands using the instrument of law and the culprits will be prosecuted with respect to the subsisting financial crimes' laws. Shameless man!

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by mutiply: 12:52am On May 24, 2016
This senator needs to be recalled back by his people asap. He looks like someone who will sponsor a bill that involves giving amnesty to those who intend stealing.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by Jirate(m): 1:09am On May 24, 2016
Who are those Looters you are seeking Amnesty for, have their names been made public Or are you scared? cool cool

7 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by funlord(m): 1:51am On May 24, 2016
angry

This man is a bloody bastard!

5 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by captianfreeman(m): 2:29am On May 24, 2016
O God of creation, what has Nigerians , done to deserve this kind of leaders. ?
How can a senator, be this dumb? I am so disappointed.

12 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by divinehand2003(m): 8:06am On May 24, 2016
This is certainly the dullest senator I have ever seen in NASS.
What a childish way of thinking?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by bukynkwuenu: 8:09am On May 24, 2016
.as stupid as wat he said sounds i still see truth in his statement...ix better we beg buhari n his apc cohort n gej n his pdp cohort to please invest our yams abroad in nigeria ....because with wat am seeing nobody can catch this yam eaters...n dy will snick out abroad with der families to eat our yam n worst still sm yams will decay like abachas yam......

pls i forgive yam eater just create jobs with our yam n am ok

4 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by MadCow1: 8:10am On May 24, 2016
Akpan should be stoned to death..

The word Amnesty should be banned in Nigerian

8 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by marycool18(f): 8:10am On May 24, 2016
Lol, are you kidding me? He should be arrested and tried in court for making such statement! I've always known he's a crooked man!

He must have been used by a group of looters to vomit such shiit! cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by Nobody: 8:11am On May 24, 2016
Hate him all you want, but there is alot of sense in this.

Our money is in other countries boosting their economy , if we can get them back good.

But if we can't (which we can't), why don't we let them return the already looted funds back to the country? Then implement structures to prevent future embezzlement.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by psychologist(m): 8:11am On May 24, 2016
Just when I thought nothing can surprise me again in this Buhari's era

7 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by SuperSupremo(m): 8:12am On May 24, 2016
What a gross nonsense and disgusting situation.

Sophisticated thieves calls themselves elite politicians and vomits all sorts of trash

whilst some people are being executed by jungle justice for stealing pea nuts to save themselves.

What a nation Nigeria is

5 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by ipledge5: 8:12am On May 24, 2016
I can't just stop laughing...what do we do to deserve these good for nothing senators?

4 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by Ezedon(m): 8:12am On May 24, 2016
Noted, well spoken but you need to lead by example and let others follow
Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by opius: 8:12am On May 24, 2016
Senators pls "don't angry me" in ...Rowdy voice

2 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by AfroKnight: 8:13am On May 24, 2016
PDP as usual
Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by MARKone(m): 8:13am On May 24, 2016
He said, “Why are we suffering in the midst of plenty? Amnesty was created for militancy, we should create amnesty for anybody that has taken money outside this country so that they can invest them in the country. We can generate a hundred billion dollar in the process in less than six months.

Brainless eeediot!! This is why we will never progress in this country with people like this in our hallowed chamber. These Theiving politicians have turned the Senate into a safe haven for crooks, pedophiles, cultists and gangsters. Left alone politicians found culpable of coruptly enriching him or herself, should be summarily executed, Nigerians should not be treated with kids gloves.

5 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by Nobody: 8:13am On May 24, 2016
They will not spend that money in peace and even if the money is repatriated the present thieves in government will keep it, you senators will demand for more allowances and the masses will not even sniff it. They must bring it back either now or later
Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by DrayZee: 8:14am On May 24, 2016
So,we should provide amnesty to the people that stole money from us and set Nigeria back for years...

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by adren(m): 8:15am On May 24, 2016
I am not suprised..

This is what you get from a senator who bought your vote with five cups of rice and one rabbit lap..

I am crossing my fingers and looking forward to seeing if those in his constituency will vote him in for a second term..

Dummies everywhere!!

3 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by whirlwind7(m): 8:16am On May 24, 2016
What a retard!

Amnesty for economic looters? This country is doomed. Coming from an elected law maker, it just makes you ask the question, what is wrong with us? Did God create people without brains to lead us in this forsaken country?

2 Likes

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by spako4(m): 8:16am On May 24, 2016
Hmmm!PDP senator!

1 Like

Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by ORACLE1975(m): 8:17am On May 24, 2016
Madness
Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by DankemzI(m): 8:17am On May 24, 2016
Idiotic
Re: Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers by Generalyemi(m): 8:18am On May 24, 2016
fake news everywhere

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osinbajo Seeks Senate's Approval For $1.5 Billion Loan / How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? / Third Mainland Bridge To Be Shut Month End – Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.