Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:07 PM

The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. (2076 Views)

Names Of Victims Of Ozubulu Catholic Church Massacre Released / The True Founder And History Of The Catholic Church. / ''Why We Transferred Father Mbaka'' — Catholic Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by tenderlaw(m): 1:05am On May 24, 2016
I've been silent over this for several years, spoke of it only to a few people. But it has to be said, that a lot of our churches do not care if you live or die. They are only interested in your Sunday attendance and donations and offerings. The old days of opening doors to strangers have long gone.

I was born into a very catholic family. Growing up, we were made to believe that when you travel to any new location as a catholic, all you have to do is locate any catholic church in the area, introduce yourself to the priest and he would give you any necessary assistance. At worst, show your baptismal card.

So it happened that in 2004 i was invited for a scholarship exam in Lagos. I had never been there, but of course i was not worried. I stayed calm because i knew i would get assistance from churches in the area. I was young, i was naïve, i was innocent.

I travelled from my school in a South Western university to Lagos armed with my invitation letter and school documents. I located the area close to the exam centre, and went looking for churches close by. Without much difficulty i found a catholic church.

I walked into the gate, and approached the parish house. I knocked timidly on the door, and the steward opened up. I explained my situation, and asked to see the priest. Luckily the priest was at home. I heaved a sigh of relief.

The priest came out and i repeated my story, and showed ny documents. Then came the bombshell. He told me the church cannot just open their doors to any strays that walk in from the street. He said maybe i was a robber, waiting for the dead of night to strike.

I was shocked. I then pleaded to be allowed to sleep inside the church building itself, if not the parish house. My pleas fell in deaf ears. For the first time in many years, tears rolled down my face. I stood on those stairs, unable to believe what was happening. With no money on me but my transport within Lagos and back to school, i was well and truly stranded.

I turned my back, and dragged my feet from there in pains. I had no option but to seek out other churches in the area. A short distance away was a protestant church. I walked in with no other choice and presented my story to some men i met inside.

Those men sympathised with me, and offered me a place to stay in the church. I was so relieved. That night i sat and pondered the scenario, how i had been turned away from my own people and welcomed by total strangers. I cried some more.

The next morning they offered me water to freshen up, and i left very early to my exam centre. To the glory of God i passed, and enjoyed that scholarship(an oil company),throughout my university days. But the damage was already done.

In all this, i came to realise some basic facts.
1. Those you would naturally depend on may not always help you.
2. Strangers may be your saving grace in the day of need.
3. The real world is not the utopian place young people are too it is. Bad stuff happen

Today I'm a man of my own, and i have no denomination even though i remain a christian. My relationship with God is a personal one. I urge all clergy to practice what they preach.

I realise that the security situation in our day counts, but if my own could not welcome me but i was hosted by others, it then speaks volumes about the messages we hear.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by NiRfreak(m): 1:26am On May 24, 2016
Na today?.....pastors , priest, Reverend, church members...we are all the same.....everybody is only looking out for their own belly

1 Like

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by sluk(m): 1:43am On May 24, 2016
He was a priest with no Jesus in his heart... its a pity, 4give him and move on. thank God you were safe.

1 Like

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by nerilove(m): 4:00am On May 24, 2016
See bro, I understood your case perfectly. You can't blame the Rev Fr. There are cases of robbery or monitoring the environment for a hit in a latter date when such situation occurs. I witnessed one where a priest harboured a total stranger, not even a catholic but the stranger struck with his gang another day because he heard the parish makes a lot of money. They even shot the priest when he wants to question them. Did you go with your baptismal card as you earlier said. Nothing to identify you apart from yourschool document. So bro don't blame the priest for his action. because the days are evil.

2 Likes

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by seemples(f): 6:25am On May 24, 2016
^^^ So the baptismal card is proof positive he's not a potential robber?

3 Likes

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by Nobody: 7:20am On May 24, 2016
seemples:
^^^ So the baptismal card is proof positive he's not a potential robber?

Exactly. Same question I was about to ask

1 Like

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by joefredd006(m): 7:44am On May 24, 2016
AnalyticEngine:

Exactly. Same question I was about to ask

No, baptismal card is not a proof that he's
not a potential robber? but the catholic church is one and universal. the information on the card can make the priest know who to contact, if the need arises, to vouch for your integrity. Personally, mine has opened doors for me, including a hassle free visa.

Though it's sad that the priest let his fear of the world get the best of his faith, but the city is a treacherous place.

Your faith is tied to God, don't let an unpleasant experience rob you of it

2 Likes

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by somcherry(f): 9:15am On May 24, 2016
I think the best thing you would have done was to get a recommendation from the priest in your own church,instead of going with only your baptismal card.

1 Like

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by Nobody: 10:33am On May 24, 2016
joefredd006:

No, baptismal card is not a proof that he's
not a potential robber? but the catholic church is one and universal. the information on the card can make the priest know who to contact, if the need arises, to vouch for your integrity. Personally, mine has opened doors for me, including a hassle free visa.

Though it's sad that the priest let his fear of the world get the best of his faith, but the city is a treacherous place.

Your faith is tied to God, don't let an unpleasant experience rob you of it

So you're saying:
- conmen cannot possess fake Roman Catholic Identity Card because of its universality?
- a catholic member cannot be an armed robber?

1 Like

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by keandre: 10:52am On May 24, 2016
AnalyticEngine:

So you're saying:
- conmen cannot possess fake Roman Catholic Identity Card because of its universality?
- a catholic member cannot be an armed robber?

A baptismal card is different from Identity card.
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by Nobody: 11:49am On May 24, 2016
keandre:

A baptismal card is different from Identity card.

The issue at hard has nothing to do with nomenclature. Whether baptismal card or identity card, it can still be faked. Based on the components of the Baptismal card, I believe it could serve as a means if identification
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by keandre: 11:58am On May 24, 2016
AnalyticEngine:

The issue at hard has nothing to do with nomenclature. Whether baptismal card or identity card, it can still be faked. Isn't the baptismal card a form of Identity?

A baptismal card contains the signature/contact of the priest who administered the baptism,it cannot be forged.
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 24, 2016
keandre:

A baptismal card contains the signature/contact of the priest who administered the baptism,it cannot be forged.

Very shallow premise. University Identity Cards, University certificates, International Passports, Birth Certificates etc. are being forged daily. Is it baptismal card that cannot be forged? I am quite sure the holder's passport is even affixed with a stapler. All I need do is to steal someone else's card and change the passport. Smh
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by keandre: 12:36pm On May 24, 2016
AnalyticEngine:

Very shallow premise. University Identity Cards, University certificates, International Passports, Birth Certificates etc. are being forged daily. Is it baptismal card that cannot be forged? I am quite sure the holder's passport is even affixed with a stapler. All I need do is to steal someone else's card and change the passport. Smh

A baptismal card has no mug shot embedded on it, you have no idea. Besides,who wants to forge a baptismal card?, for what intent? Robbery? To rob the parochial vicar at night,does the church looks like a bank vault?.
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by rosalieene(f): 2:52pm On May 24, 2016
what kind of silly argument is this
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by BetterChurch: 4:43pm On May 24, 2016
This is a good example of 'when religion fails its children.' If I were the priest I would have ask you basic catechism like 'who made you?' What's purgatory? how many sacraments are there and name them etc, not forgetting that whatsoever I do 'to the least of the brethren' I do also to Christ. Hence that is going to be the criteria for separating the sheep from the goats on the last day according to the Christian bible and not if one was a priest or born again as many want to believe.

1 Like

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by otemanuduno: 5:09pm On May 24, 2016
tenderlaw:
I've been silent over this for several years, spoke of it only to a few people. But it has to be said, that a lot of our churches do not care if you live or die. They are only interested in your Sunday attendance and donations and offerings. The old days of opening doors to strangers have long gone.

I was born into a very catholic family. Growing up, we were made to believe that when you travel to any new location as a catholic, all you have to do is locate any catholic church in the area, introduce yourself to the priest and he would give you any necessary assistance. At worst, show your baptismal card.

So it happened that in 2004 i was invited for a scholarship exam in Lagos. I had never been there, but of course i was not worried. I stayed calm because i knew i would get assistance from churches in the area. I was young, i was naïve, i was innocent.

I travelled from my school in a South Western university to Lagos armed with my invitation letter and school documents. I located the area close to the exam centre, and went looking for churches close by. Without much difficulty i found a catholic church.

I walked into the gate, and approached the parish house. I knocked timidly on the door, and the steward opened up. I explained my situation, and asked to see the priest. Luckily the priest was at home. I heaved a sigh of relief.

The priest came out and i repeated my story, and showed ny documents. Then came the bombshell. He told me the church cannot just open their doors to any strays that walk in from the street. He said maybe i was a robber, waiting for the dead of night to strike.

I was shocked. I then pleaded to be allowed to sleep inside the church building itself, if not the parish house. My pleas fell in deaf ears. For the first time in many years, tears rolled down my face. I stood on those stairs, unable to believe what was happening. With no money on me but my transport within Lagos and back to school, i was well and truly stranded.

I turned my back, and dragged my feet from there in pains. I had no option but to seek out other churches in the area. A short distance away was a protestant church. I walked in with no other choice and presented my story to some men i met inside.

Those men sympathised with me, and offered me a place to stay in the church. I was so relieved. That night i sat and pondered the scenario, how i had been turned away from my own people and welcomed by total strangers. I cried some more.

The next morning they offered me water to freshen up, and i left very early to my exam centre. To the glory of God i passed, and enjoyed that scholarship(an oil company),throughout my university days. But the damage was already done.

3. The real world is not the utopian place young people are too it is. Bad stuff happen

Today I'm a man of my own, and i have no denomination even though i remain a christian. My relationship with God is a personal one. I urge all clergy to practice what they preach.

I realise that the security situation in our day counts, but if my own could not welcome me but i was hosted by others, it then speaks volumes about the messages we hear.

Be happy my friend, the KINGDOM OF THE TRUE GOD IS HERE to wipe away all RELIGIONS. it is the kingdom of DOMINO REVERAD, the God who made the universe with a Big Bang. CHECK MY SIGNATURE FOR MORE.
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by keenn: 5:54pm On May 24, 2016
Nigga, u got it all wrong.

I am a proud agnostic, but I can say with all sincerity that, 'u got it all twisted.'

Let me share my own experience.
I traveled a time ago to write an entrance exam into an higher institution, in this south western part of nigeria called, Osun state.

upon my arrival, my plan was to sleep in a garage until the morning for my exam. But I noticed quite a number of my age bracket were also moving around in search of where to slEep.

ASAP! I joined these fellas in search of shelter. WHat saved us that day was a brother(also an applicant) who took us to a catholic church and identified himself as a member.

We(both catholics and non catholics) were ushered in and given the best hospitality I could ever imagine, from night shower - dinner - good sofa..., to hot yam and egg as our breakfast. We prayed, sang, read bible passages and were motivated as regards our exams. For once in my crude life, I had faith, hope and trust in humanity.

Oh yes! Some priest/pastors/imams can be wolves in sheep clothing, still, the occurrence of unjust act(s) should not justify absolute demeaning of person(s

1 Like

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by sisichels(f): 6:06pm On May 24, 2016
tenderlaw:

the priest is first a human like you and as humans he has his own frailties. we can argue from now to eternity about the rightness or wrongness of the act. the truth remains that it shouldnt 've changed or rocked ur faith if it was firmly built, why should the action of one man make you lose sight of what's important. I am a Catholic n i dont support his actions but then u clearly stated that the security situation might have been the cause.
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by McSterling(m): 6:32pm On May 24, 2016
@Op, you cannot make conclusions based on the action of one man or a few persons. I'm sure there are many priests and Catholics who would have welcomed and treated you warmly. Should we then conclude, based on that, that all Catholics are warm and genial? Absolutely not. What your experience should teach you is that kindness isn't borne of religious affiliations or lack of it. Catholics can be good people. Catholics can be bad people. Protestants can be either good or bad; same with Muslims and the unreligious. It isn't their religion or affiliations that makes them good. They will be good/bad with or without it. That unwelcoming priest would well have remained an unwelcoming person even as a Protestant, Muslim, atheist or whatever. So, don't blame Catholicism. It has nothing to do with it.

2 Likes

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by joefredd006(m): 6:51pm On May 24, 2016
McSterling:
@Op, you cannot make conclusions based on the action of one man or a few persons. I'm sure there are many priests and Catholics who would have welcomed and treated you warmly. Should we then conclude, based on that, that all Catholics are warm and genial? Absolutely not. What your experience should teach you is that kindness isn't borne of religious affiliations or lack of it. Catholics can be good people. Catholics can be bad people. Protestants can be either good or bad; same with Muslims and the unreligious. It isn't their religion or affiliations that makes them good. They will be good/bad with or without it. That unwelcoming priest would well have remained an unwelcoming person even as a Protestant, Muslim, atheist or whatever. So, don't blame Catholicism. It has nothing to do with it.

After McSterling's comment, i don't expect anyone to go about beating a wooden horse. He has drawn the most logical and philosophical endline to the discussion.

Rest your oars now, or should i say your keypads ;-)
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by Alfamann: 6:58pm On May 24, 2016
another mumu
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by Anas09: 7:20pm On May 24, 2016
tenderlaw:

Honey, I don't understand why you keep saying "Your own, and outsiders". The body of Christ has no name. It's called the "Church", we men put that chasm, not Christ. Pls stop seeing other Christians as outsiders.

1 Like

Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by tenderlaw(m): 7:07am On May 25, 2016
Anas09:

Honey, I don't understand why you keep saying "Your own, and outsiders". The body of Christ has no name. It's called the "Church", we men put that chasm, not Christ. Pls stop seeing other Christians as outsiders.

Like I said, I am still a Christian, but now I have no denomination. I go wherever the spirit leads.
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by Anas09: 1:34pm On May 26, 2016
tenderlaw:

Like I said, I am still a Christian, but now I have no denomination. I go wherever the spirit leads.
Okay. I was like that for a space of two years until I was directed to where I am right now. Sincerely seek his direction, he will show up. Just make sure you are poor in spirit. Many fall off and say stuff, because while they thought they were in Christ, they were indeed for themselves.
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 26, 2016
What makes you think you are entitled to an accommodation in the church? It's not like you were in a desperate situation... You were quite aware that you had an exam to write and travelled without any prior plan of a place to sleep.. All I see is a sense of entitlement, with the Naija of today, the priest did the right thing.. even the pope ll not open the door of the Vatican to strangers.. By 19:00, all tourists at the Vatican are sent out & door closed
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by Nobody: 9:28pm On May 26, 2016
sisichels:

the priest is first a human like you and as humans he has his own frailties. we can argue from now to eternity about the rightness or wrongness of the act. the truth remains that it shouldnt 've changed or rocked ur faith if it was firmly built, why should the action of one man make you lose sight of what's important. I am a Catholic n i dont support his actions but then u clearly stated that the security situation might have been the cause.
He was not stranded.. He travelled down from his base without any accommodation arrangement, there are cheap hotels/motels everywhere. If I was the priest I ll have chased him away with a broom
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 26, 2016
Security always. My dad has once housed a stranger ; and the next day we were robbed. So I don't blame the priest
Re: The Day The Catholic Church Broke My Heart. by waldigit: 5:30am On May 27, 2016
BetterChurch:
This is a good example of 'when religion fails its children.' If I were the priest I would have ask you basic catechism like 'who made you?' What's purgatory? how many sacraments are there and name them etc, not forgetting that whatsoever I do 'to the least of the brethren' I do also to Christ. Hence that is going to be the criteria for separating the sheep from the goats on the last day according to the Christian bible and not if one was a priest or born again as many want to believe.
all these are blind excuses. If the priest had wanted to help there are so many other options.

(1) (Reply)

Help Me Interprete, I Was Given Money By Pastor Adeboye / Doctrinal Lies Of The Jehovah Witness religion / Photos: Ongoing 2018 Conference Of The Methodist Church Nigeria .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.