Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,307 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:04 PM

Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs (709 Views)

5 Old Beliefs Of Pastor Kumuyi Of Deeper Life Which He Latter Abandoned / Isaac Newton On Atheism / Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 24, 2016
Hello Nairalanders, been a lurker on this forum for a while now. I signed up to correct some misconceptions about atheism, agnosticism and beliefs.
I've read posts as well as comments claiming and/or suggesting atheism to be a believe in Satan, one thing or the other (whatever)...This is wrong. Atheism is simply a lack of believe in any deity (Yahweh, Allah, Zeus or whatever nonsense one can come up with.) This is how it works- You say 'I have a gold watch smeared to my chest ', and we demand for a proof. You pull your shirt, we see the gold watch smeared to your chest and we say 'yeah! John, we believe you'. And if we do not see it as you have claimed, we are left with no option but to say 'we do not believe'.
Agnosticism is not some middle position between theism and atheism. It is matter of knowledge and it applies to both positions. You either a gnostic atheist (you know there is no god; therefore, you do not believe) or an agnostic atheists (you don't know whether god exist; you do not believe). Similarly, one is either an agnostic or gnostic theist.
Finally, belief is tendency to partake in certain rirtuals/activities. It is not a state of mind or even a brain state. One doesn't think about, for example 'Jesus died for your sins' when one is looking for his/her wallet. This does not mean the belief go away and return after one might have found the purse. It can be said that ' he believes Nigeria is a country in Africa' even when one dead or in some place far away. The point of this is that you don't need around to be considered a holder of a belief. The important thing to know that unbelieve presupposes believe, that is, it depends on believe to exist,and if you can't stand that, endeavor to provide genuine reason and/or strong evidence for your beliefs.
Feel free to ask any question. I'll try to reply as fast as I can.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by frank317: 5:40pm On May 24, 2016
Christians actually need to think that atheism is some sort of faith because it helps them confidently call you a Satanist. According to them one cannot stand in the middle because it would put their belief in almighty sky daddy on a shaky ground. They want to convince themselves that atheists are of the devil hence atheists unconsciously have faith in the opposite of their God.
That way, they see themselves on the right part while they see you on the wrong path.
The fact is that Christianity thrives on evil. They need others to be evil so as to see themselves as good. So once you don't believe in wht they believe in, their mind sees you are evil even if you are morally more accountable than they are.
Do you ever why their God needed a devil? And even with the presence of the devil he put the evil tree because perfect goodness actually bores him.
Trust me, even in heaven their will be need for evil because that's how the Christians and their God thrives.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by Richirich713: 5:55pm On May 24, 2016
If atheists just lack belief in God, why do they keep telling me there's no God.
Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 24, 2016
Frank317, I think the devil was needed to justify their god's punishment of Adam and Eve because It just doesn't make sense to punish them for their quest for knowledge- they had to invent a character to play the role that puts His acts in good light. They thought that that kept their god in a tenable position but alas, He loses his cool after then and even up to this very day. So from time to time they recall the devil to fill in for or justify their god's irrationality and for some terrible things some humans do.
Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by Oluwaseytiano(m): 6:26pm On May 24, 2016
Richirich713:
If atheists just lack belief in God, why do they keep telling me there's no God.
Wrong, they lack belief in the existence of God
Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 24, 2016
Richirich713, that's an over exaggeration on their path . They are simply adopting a burden of proof which, to the best of my knowledge, they cannot meet. The default position is this: you guys make the claim that god exists, we (atheists) demand for evidence. Admittedly, I must say that I hate it when atheists assume that position.
Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by Richirich713: 6:44pm On May 24, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
Wrong, they lack belief in the existence of God

Who's wrong?
Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by Richirich713: 6:45pm On May 24, 2016
Julianyao:
Richirich713, that's an over exaggeration on their path . They are simply adopting a burden of proof which, to the best of my knowledge, they cannot meet. The default position is this: you guys make the claim that god exists, we (atheists) demand for evidence. Admittedly, I must say that I hate it when atheists assume that position.

He is that different from an agnostic?
Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 24, 2016
Read my post again.
Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by rawgame(m): 7:16pm On May 24, 2016
frank317:
Christians actually need to think that atheism is some sort of faith because it helps them confidently call you a Satanist. According to them one cannot stand in the middle because it would put their belief in almighty sky daddy on a shaky ground. They want to convince themselves that atheists are of the devil hence atheists unconsciously have faith in the opposite of their God.
That way, they see themselves on the right part while they see you on the wrong path.
The fact is that Christianity thrives on evil. They need others to be evil so as to see themselves as good. So once you don't believe in wht they believe in, their mind sees you are evil even if you are morally more accountable than they are.
Do you ever why their God needed a devil? And even with the presence of the devil he put the evil tree because perfect goodness actually bores him.
Trust me, even in heaven their will be need for evil because that's how the Christians and their God thrives.
You didn't even allow the OP to finish, you just started showcasing your belligerence for Christianity. What evil has Christianity ever done to you? Why didn't you attack Hinduism?(I'm not implying that would be proper either). You won't know why. Well that's your business
Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by Oluwaseytiano(m): 7:41pm On May 24, 2016
Richirich713:

Who's wrong?
There is difference between disbelief in God and disbelief in the existence of God
Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by frank317: 10:46pm On May 24, 2016
rawgame:
You didn't even allow the OP to finish, you just started showcasing your belligerence for Christianity. What evil has Christianity ever done to you? Why didn't you attack Hinduism?(I'm not implying that would be proper either). You won't know why. Well that's your business

What again is the op finishing? Abi u no sabi read? Smh for u.

Who cares about Hinduism... do you know how many times Christians knock on my door, take up all my TV channels, disturb me in public transport and even halt me on the busy street? And call me evil or satanic for not believing in their God?
The day Hindu starts that that's the day I will start noticing them, for now... pickin way say him mama no go sleep, him ma no go sleep.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 24, 2016
Richirich713:
We see the earth as our only hope. You hope that the earth will be destroyed. Go your heaven, leave our planet for us embarassed
Re: Brief Clarification On Atheism, Agnosticism And Beliefs by taurus25(m): 11:40pm On May 24, 2016
frank317:

What again is the op finishing? Abi u no sabi read? Smh for u.

Who cares about Hinduism... do you know how many times Christians knock on my door, take up all my TV channels, disturb me in public transport and even halt me on the busy street? And call me evil or satanic for not believing in their God?
The day Hindu starts that that's the day I will start noticing them, for now... pickin way say him mama no go sleep, him ma no go sleep.
thank you!

(1) (Reply)

Did Paul Contradict Jesus Christ? / National Day Of Prayer(abuja) / Deists And Other Truth Seekers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.