Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,001 members, 7,799,434 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! (28340 Views)

'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos / Traditional Regalia Of The Oba Of Lagos Destroyed In Fire - NEMA / Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by mrvitalis(m): 9:55am On May 25, 2016
dukie25:

The oba can never be removed. Who would become the Oba if he was removed? The son cannot suceed the father if the father is alive. Stop seeing this from the perspective of the Oni or the Emir, those positions are not hereditary like the position of the Oba of Benin.
Please stop this talk, the bini Kingdom fell to the British empire which is today Nigeria
Nigeria can wake up one day and say no more traditional rulers, nothing will happen
The constitution is supreme and it mandate the governor to appoint ans suspend or even dethrone any king it feels like

People will only shout ans the governor will become unpopular and lose the next election, but he has the power to remove and appoint any body oba of bini
But it just out of respect for the people

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 9:57am On May 25, 2016
pedrilo:
my friend keep quiet! i am from edo state and i'm yet to see any great thing about the kingdom. pls emancipate urself from mental slavery
If ure from Edo and u see nothing great about it, then ure a disgrace and shame to your kingdom. Go and study and see how great and rich the Bini culture is.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Opharhe: 9:57am On May 25, 2016
erico2k2:

I'm not frm Edo state but I know that there was the crown of the Oba b4 any governor
Yes. Just like the crown of Oyo, Katsina, etc. Do you know Awolowo's western region govt. Dethroned a seating Alaafin? Surprised right? Nigeria is a federal REPUBLIC. All the crowns are subject to the Nigerian states. That is the plain fact.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by firo08(m): 9:57am On May 25, 2016
ojuu4u:

is benin not part of nigeria? Unfortunately, u ar victim of what u quoted. U lack basic comprehension of consitiution. Let me tel u bitter truth. A sitting governor is the boss of all kings in his state. Benin kingdom inclusive
my friend if u don't have any paramount claim on this issue and shut up ur smelling mouth.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by nickxtra(m): 9:59am On May 25, 2016
ogmask:

It is a misnormal, not in Benin. In Benin the king is born. The crown Prince is an Oba in waiting with or without govt staff of office. You can only talk of appointment when the throne is not hereditary. If you read that portion the ARABIAN quoted, you will discover that govt do not appoint traditional rulers, they only recognise.
The making of an Oba in Benin is an age long tradition that even politics cannot alter.
Some went to school but they lack basic comprehension, of which if not well managed can lead to chaos.
If the Governor does not give a staff of office to the Oba, he is not reconised by law and he is not entitled to any allowance from the government.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Max24: 10:00am On May 25, 2016
ojuu4u:

is benin not part of nigeria? Unfortunately, u ar victim of what u quoted. U lack basic comprehension of consitiution. Let me tel u bitter truth. A sitting governor is the boss of all kings in his state. Benin kingdom inclusive
You are the one showing lack of basic understanding of the constitution. Its like saying because Bihari is the President of Nigeria according to the constitution then he can appoint anyone as a governor.... after all, borrowing your words ...he is the boss of all governors in his country. Pls always think before you talk and stop giving these governors powers they don't have.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by dukie25: 10:03am On May 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

Please stop this talk, the bini Kingdom fell to the British empire which is today Nigeria
Nigeria can wake up one day and say no more traditional rulers, nothing will happen
The constitution is supreme and it mandate the governor to appoint ans suspend or even dethrone any king it feels like

People will only shout ans the governor will become unpopular and lose the next election, but he has the power to remove and appoint any body oba of bini

I agree that traditional rulers can be abolished by the government, what I question is the appointment.
The Oba of Benin cannot be appointed by the governor or the president.
It can never happen, he won't be recognized by the people of Edo, fullstop.
Governors and Presidents can play a role in the appointment of an Oni or Emir e.g Dasuki but can't do same to hereditary monarchies.
The first son inherits the title, this has been the custom for centuries.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by peacecoy: 10:03am On May 25, 2016
ojuu4u:

The system we have in Nigeria is that if Edo state governor do not accept the person forwarded to him by the traditional council or whatever new oba of Benin cannot emerge nor function! punchline is that Edo state governor can REMOVE the Benin monarch if the situation warrant. meanwhile Benin people go emotional as much as they want it doesn't, change anything
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by firo08(m): 10:04am On May 25, 2016
phemmyutd:
Most of we Nigerian youth lack knowledge of the constitution. So these these Edo youth do not know that the Governor has the right to appoint a king?
what do you know about Edo Kingdom. Never in history a mere governor decide appointment of the Oba. Note the benin Kingdom is not by appointment it's hereditary.. please have a reasonable claim to justify ur assertion....
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by oseo1(m): 10:05am On May 25, 2016
phemmyutd:
Most of we Nigerian youth lack knowledge of the constitution. So these these Edo youth do not know that the Governor has the right to appoint a king?

This is not Yoruba land, the Oba of Benin is not appointed by the government, there have been Obas since before the constitution was drafted. This statement implies that is the governor does not like an Oba or crown prince he can remove him and that is as false as can be. I dare Oshiomole or even Buhari to try an oust the Oba of Benin, they may succeed in removing him but they will not live to enjoy it.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by dukie25: 10:06am On May 25, 2016
[s]
peacecoy:
The system we have in Nigeria is that if Edo state governor do not accept the person forwarded to him by the traditional council or whatever new oba of Benin cannot emerge nor function! punchline is that Edo state governor can REMOVE the Benin monarch if the situation warrant. meanwhile Benin people go emotional as much as they want it doesn't, change anything
[/s]

The first son becomes the Oba at the death of his father, no other person can usurp the throne.
We are not talking of the Emir of Kano where one is chosen among several potential emirs.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by mrvitalis(m): 10:07am On May 25, 2016
dukie25:

I agree that traditional rulers can be abolished by the government, what I question is the appointment.
The Oba of Benin cannot be appointed by the governor or the president.
It can never happen, he won't be recognized by the people of Edo, fullstop.
Governors and Presidents can play a role in the appointment of an Oni or Emir e.g Dasuki but can't do same to hereditary monarchies.
The first son inherits the title, this has been the custom for half a century.
The recognition of the government is what matter weather the people see the person appointed by the governor as oba that's there business

Read the constitution bini is not independent of Nigeria
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 10:08am On May 25, 2016
[s][/s]
wellmax:
Ignorant Wellmax

The King makers conduct a selection process to appoint the New Oba, but it is the state Governor who approves such selections. Governors do not usually go contrary to the choice of the King makers and Oshiomole hasn't done that.

I wellmax receive sense!

Selection does not take place in Bini Kingdom. The king is born! cheesy
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 10:11am On May 25, 2016
[s][/s]
wellmax:
Ignorant Edo Youths.

[s][/s]The King makers conduct a selection process to appoint the New Oba, but it is the state Governor who approves such selections. Governors do not usually go contrary to the choice of the King makers and Oshiomole hasn't done that.

Edo Youths, receive sense!

Selection does not take place in Bini Kingdom. The king is born! :cheesy
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by saintdennis(m): 10:13am On May 25, 2016
ogmask:

It is a misnormal, not in Benin. In Benin the king is born. The crown Prince is an Oba in waiting with or without govt staff of office. You can only talk of appointment when the throne is not hereditary. If you read that portion the ARABIAN quoted, you will discover that govt do not appoint traditional rulers, they only recognise.
The making of an Oba in Benin is an age long tradition that even politics cannot alter.
Some went to school but they lack basic comprehension, of which if not well managed can lead to chaos.

YoU've clarified everything these other tribes do not. Understand bini traditional stool is not subject to even presidential approval.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by OBAGADAFFI: 10:15am On May 25, 2016
WiseBully:
[s][/s]

Selection does not take place in Bini Kingdom. The king is born! :cheesy

And what happens if he dies before enthronement .
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by saisede: 10:15am On May 25, 2016
phemmyutd:
this no be oba of lagos my guy na u need to do your research edo people carry their oba high and anything like dis go upset them or are you saying osho can remove the oba n put som1 else

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 10:15am On May 25, 2016
[s][/s]
pedrilo:
my friend keep quiet! i am from edo state and i'm yet to see any great thing about the kingdom. pls emancipate urself from mental slavery

Grow up, son! wink
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by dukie25: 10:15am On May 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

The recognition of the government is what matter weather the people see the person appointed by the governor as oba that's there business

The recognition by government does not matter as long as the people know who the real Oba is.
Igbinedion with all his wealth in the 80s tried to undermine the Oba, read the history of how the Esama himself was disgraced by bini people.

Just agree the ascension to the throne of Oba of Benin is different from what obtains in other kingdoms.

[size=15pt]Peace Out!!![/size]
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 10:16am On May 25, 2016
[s][/s]
pedrilo:
[s][/s]

Grow up, son! wink
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by ojuu4u(m): 10:18am On May 25, 2016
Max24:

You are the one showing lack of basic understanding of the constitution. Its like saying because Bihari is the President of Nigeria according to the constitution then he can appoint anyone as a governor.... after all, borrowing your words ...he is the boss of all governors in his country. Pls always think before you talk and stop giving these governors powers they don't have.

pls stop dsplayin ur ignorant. This is public forum. The staff of ofice giving to kings did u knw d mini? If u dnt let me tel u. D staf is a symbol of authority gving to obas to function on behave of executive gov. 2 d u knw govt headed by gov pay king salary. So who is boss btw d giver and d recever
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 10:18am On May 25, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

And what happens if he dies before enthronement .

His son takes over. It's hereditary, father to son. Bini traditional institution is more well-defined and structured than the Nigeria system.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by MrDoGood(m): 10:20am On May 25, 2016
phemmyutd:

Are you sure you're okay?
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 10:20am On May 25, 2016
ojuu4u:

pls stop dsplayin ur ignorant. This is public forum. The staff of ofice giving to kings did u knw d mini? If u dnt let me tel u. D staf is a symbol of authority gving to obas to function on behave of executive gov. 2 d u knw govt headed by gov pay king salary. So who is boss btw d giver and d recever
[s][/s]

There is so much you do not know. This is Bini issue, ask or look away.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by yre231(m): 10:21am On May 25, 2016
My friend there is no selection in this case ...can't you see
wellmax:
Ignorant Edo Youths.

The King makers conduct a selection process to appoint the New Oba, but it is the state Governor who approves such selections. Governors do not usually go contrary to the choice of the King makers and Oshiomole hasn't done that.

Edo Youths, receive sense!
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 10:21am On May 25, 2016
ojuu4u:

[s][/s] pls stop dsplayin ur ignorant. This is public forum. The staff of ofice giving to kings did u knw d mini? If u dnt let me tel u. D staf is a symbol of authority gving to obas to function on behave of executive gov. 2 d u knw govt headed by gov pay king salary. So who is boss btw d giver and d recever
[s][/s]

There is so much you do not know. This is Bini issue, ask or look away.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by AceRoyal: 10:21am On May 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

No Governor will EVER attempt to appoint or dethrone the Oba of Benin,except he wants chaos and anarchy in the state. All that is happening is just mare formalities
Yes you are using the constitution as a bases for ur argument but I'm telling you the reality.
You have no idea how deep and sensitive this issue is.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by saintdennis(m): 10:22am On May 25, 2016
peacecoy:

ROTFL... even the esama that had issues with the late oba know wetin him eye see., he used every tool available to beg until he was pardoned.

Now any governor that ever tries to remove a sitting oba won't last 7days on earth. Him and his family.

Only a bini man knows what I mean
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:24am On May 25, 2016
shala01:

When the councils crown their new King you can tell Adams or even buhari to disapprove. Benin is not kano where the governor can approve his choice. The governor have no say in who becomes oba, traditions does. The whole of that region (old Bendel) kings are born. From day one the oba designate is known
You're ignorant. Didn't the then Governor of Edo State, Capt. Ibe Onyearegbulem suspend the Oba of Benin?
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 10:24am On May 25, 2016
[s][/s]
mrvitalis:

[s][/s]

Get enlightened, the ascension to Bini Obaship cannot be influenced by anyone including your president.
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by Nobody: 10:25am On May 25, 2016
mrvitalis:
Nigerian government need to do a lot of sensitisation of it people, this mass ignorance is getting too much

They don't know the governor can appoint any body as oba of Benin and nothing will happen? ?

Read they won't
can the prime minister of britain appoint a queen or king. the constitution should have an exclusive law to not allowing politics encroach into the selection of the next oba
Re: Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!! by neocortex: 10:26am On May 25, 2016
dukie25:

You're looking at this issue from the perspective of Oni or Emir.
The British may have dethroned an Oba but the next in line takes over.
As long as the position is hereditary, no government can impose an Oba, we're not talking of the Oni or the Emir of Kano. The position is hereditary and all other "kings" in Edo are dukes under the Oba of Bini.
All the Enijies or kings in Esan and the rest of Edo are subservient dukes under bini monarchy, no power can dethrone the oba.
And you just contradicted yourself,
in this current dispensation the oba has no real power,
apart from the oba appointed chiefs, there are no positons
subservient to the oba.
It is important you separate history from current happenings.

What do you think will happen if the government fails to approve
the oba's appointment ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? / Who Is A Jew Man? / Does Our Generation Still Care About Marrying Virgins ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.