Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,961 members, 7,803,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix (33154 Views)

The Rann IDP Bombing.... Any Compensations?? / Helicopter Delivers Supplies To Fulani Herdsmen In Delta Desert — Lawmaker, Ivew / Panic In Anambra Communities Over Arrival Of Fulani Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by obiremy: 10:09am On May 26, 2016
Obiano Set Example As Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations Wit Umumbo Farmers(pix

As the nation continues to grapple with the growing menace of Fulani cattle herders, the Governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano may have set a worthy example with Wednesday’s exchange of monetary compensations between Fulani herdsmen and the people of Umumbo, an agrarian community in Ayamelum Local Government Area of the state for losses incurred by both parties during a recent conflict.
In recent times, tension had mounted between the Fulani cattle grazers who had waged a running battle with Umumbo farmers leading to fears of imminent attack coming on the heels of the mass slaughter of the residents of Nimbo, a neighbouring community across the border in Enugu State.
However, the Special Committee that the governor had set up to mediate between cattle grazers and the agrarian communities had brought its full weight to bear on the lingering dispute, leading to the decision to pay mutually agreed compensations for infractions committed by each party against the other.

Following the terms of agreement between both parties, the Fulani herdsmen paid the sum of N500,000 each for two Umumbo farmers that lost their lives in the clash with the herders and N150,000 for a casualty who sustained severe machete cuts. The Umobo farmers on their own part paid the sum of N500,000 each for two Fulani herdsmen that also died in the clash and another N4.5m for 97 cows that were slaughtered in the conflict.
Speaking at the exchange of compensations, Governor Obiano re-emphasized that the payment of compensations was one of the terms of peace agreed to by all the parties involved in the Special Committee on Cattle Menace which is made up of the leaders of the Fulani herdsmen, leaders the agrarian communities, the Nigerian Police and the government of Anambra State.

According to him, the compensations were not to be taken to represent the true value of the losses incurred by all the parties involved in the conflict but merely serve as symbols of a collective resolve by both parties to co-exist in peace and harmony going forward.
He commended the Committee for stamping its authority on the peace process and ensuring that the parties in dispute were sufficiently persuaded to work for peace, noting that through their prompt intervention, Anambra had remained insulated from the growing menace of Fulani herdsmen that is currently ravaging the country.

Governor Obiano further assured all Nigerians living in Anambra State that his administration would do everything possible to protect their lives and property in the state and urged the Fulani herdsmen to closely monitor the movements of their itinerant kinsmen passing through the state to ensure that they did not leave a trail of blood in their wake.
Earlier in his opening remarks, the State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Hosea Karma who chairs the Special Committee on the Menace of Cattle herders had explained that the compensations were traded to cushion the losses incurred by both parties and assured that investigations were still on to fish out the culprits on both sides and have them prosecuted.

Similarly, in their separate remarks, the traditional ruler of Umumbo community, Igwe Ikechukwu Chidubem and the Sarikin Fulani in the state, Alhaji Gidado Sadiq expressed their gratitude to the governor for what they described as his “excellent security management strategy,” which ensured that peace prevailed in the face of imminent conflict and gave their assurances that both communities would work for peace going forward.
Also speaking at the ceremony, the widow of one of the slain farmers in Umumbo, mrs. Eucharia Okafor, the greatest achievement of the initiative was the restoration of peace in Umumbo after a very long period of fear of imminent attack by the murderous herdsmen.

Giving an insight into the achievements of the Committee since inception in February this year, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Secuirty, Mr. O’star Christopher revealed that the committee had amicably resolved such issues in 10 communities across Anambra State including Urum, Mkpunando, Eziagulu-Otu, Enugwu-Otu, Nando, Nteje, Ukwulu, Igbariam, Awba-Ofemili, Agulu-Ezechukwu and Ogboji where compensations were paid in various sums.
As a sign of the final resolution of the conflict and the restoration of peace, the leaders of the Fulani cattle grazers had a symbolic handshake with the Igwe of Umumbo to seal the armistice.

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/05/gov-obiano-of-anambra-state-sets.html

11 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by obiremy: 10:09am On May 26, 2016

1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by seunny4lif(m): 10:12am On May 26, 2016
angry angry angry angry sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by richidinho(m): 10:12am On May 26, 2016
Lubbish compensate grin

They shld just go thats all

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by alberto2k(m): 10:13am On May 26, 2016
A good leader leads by example cool

As for the fulanis, they can go to hell for all I care :"( angry

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by Built2last: 10:17am On May 26, 2016
paying compensations may be a bad precedent.

we initiated payment of amnesty and today we are duty bound to pay or there will be trouble.

the way out is for owners of the cows to buy lands and build ranches and pay tax like every other business man.

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by whirlwind7(m): 10:24am On May 26, 2016
This is rubbish!

So both herdsmen and community pay 500k each for the number of casualties on either side.
The community pays over 46k for each cow killed. What about the crops on the farmlands that were destroyed in the first place?

We absolutely have no government. This is setting a dangerous precedent, and is no way near a reasonable or lasting solution.

113 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by Ngokafor(f): 10:37am On May 26, 2016
.....As far as this homicidal fulani herdsmen issue is concerned,it looks like its only Ayo Fayose and to a small extent Ikpeazu of Abi State that knows what to do in the South/middle-beltundecided

..dont even get me started on the Governor of Benue sad...

..At the end of the day,Fayose wins it for me.

..NB i am from Anambra State.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by Progressive01(m): 10:39am On May 26, 2016
alberto2k:
A good leader leads by example cool

As for the fulanis, they can go to hell for all I care :"( angry
You tried to make sense but your bigoted mind just got in the way. cheesy

Try not to contradict yourself when you speak- doesn't look good on your persona.

God bless Obiano and the good people of Anambra for this. Without peace there can never be any real progress.

I hope that useless rogue of a governor is leaning.

10 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by nadisms: 10:40am On May 26, 2016
OK o

written by Eneh Victor Chigozie

Time for sober reflection, is this a gallant response?
There was an event that took place at govt House Awka
Yesterday.
The event was duly reported by James Eze , the SA media to
gov Obiano. I read his report and can't understand some
certain actions as they were reported.
Pls calm down, relax ur nerves and read this event of
yesterday. After that, make ur observation as a comment.
Here it is;

"Anambra sets Example as Fulani Herdsmen Trade
Compensations with Umumbo Farmers
By James Eze(Obiano's S.A on Media)
As the nation continues to grapple with the growing menace
of Fulani cattle herders, the Governor of Anambra State,
Chief Willie Obiano may have set a worthy example with
Wednesday’s exchange of monetary compensations
between Fulani herdsmen and the people of Umumbo, an
agrarian community in Ayamelum Local Government Area
of the state for losses incurred by both parties during a
recent conflict.

In recent times, tension had mounted between the Fulani
cattle grazers who had waged a running battle with
Umumbo farmers leading to fears of imminent attack
coming on the heels of the mass slaughter of the residents
of Nimbo, a neighbouring community across the border in
Enugu State.

However, the Special Committee that the governor had set
up to mediate between cattle grazers and the agrarian
communities had brought its full weight to bear on the
lingering dispute, leading to the decision to pay mutually
agreed compensations for infractions committed by each
party against the other.

Following the terms of agreement between both parties, the
Fulani herdsmen paid the sum of N500,000 each for two
Umumbo farmers that lost their lives in the clash with the
herders and N150,000 for a casualty who sustained severe
machete cuts. The Umobo farmers on their own part paid
the sum of N500,000 each for two Fulani herdsmen that
also died in the clash and another N4.5m for 97 cows that
were slaughtered in the conflict.

Speaking at the exchange of compensations, Governor
Obiano re-emphasized that the payment of compensations
was one of the terms of peace agreed to by all the parties
involved in the Special Committee on Cattle Menace which
is made up of the leaders of the Fulani herdsmen, leaders
the agrarian communities, the Nigerian Police and the
government of Anambra State.

According to him, the compensations were not to be taken
to represent the true value of the losses incurred by all the
parties involved in the conflict but merely serve as symbols
of a collective resolve by both parties to co-exist in peace
and harmony going forward.
He commended the Committee for stamping its authority on
the peace process and ensuring that the parties in dispute
were sufficiently persuaded to work for peace, noting that
through their prompt intervention, Anambra had remained
insulated from the growing menace of Fulani herdsmen that
is currently ravaging the country.

Governor Obiano further assured all Nigerians living in
Anambra State that his administration would do everything
possible to protect their lives and property in the state and
urged the Fulani herdsmen to closely monitor the
movements of their itinerant kinsmen passing through the
state to ensure that they did not leave a trail of blood in their
wake..."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------
Consider this while contemplating;
Why was the crops and farmland destroyed by these cows
not paid for? Can someone tell us how much was paid for
the crops destroyed by the cows, or the crops have no
value?

From where did the poor community raise N5.5m to pay
those who wilfully destroyed their livelihoods? Is the above
decision fair to all concerned?

The Fulani herdsmen went home with 5.5 million naira, our
people whom they destroyed their farmland went home with
mere 1 million naira, except someone is saying here that
these herdsmen never destroyed anything that our people
just killed their cows unprovoked.
I hope James Eze will explain more.
Pls say ur mind.

source: https://m./539554826108956?view=permalink&id=1147826158615150&refid=18&_ft_=qid.6288930096197052090%3Amf_story_key.1147826158615150%3Atl_objid.1147826158615150

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by Progressive01(m): 10:43am On May 26, 2016
Ngokafor:

.....As far as this homicidal fulani herdsmen issue is concerned,it looks like its only Ayo Fayose and to a small extent Ikpeazu of Abi State that knows what to do in the South/middle-beltundecided

..dont even get me started on the Governor of Benue sad...

..At the end of the day,Fayose wins it for me.

..NB i am from Anambra State.
How many animals have you killed your entire life?? How much blood have you seen?? How many corpses have you seen?? Have you ever stabbed anyone before?? Do you know what it takes to kill a human?? Why spoil for war and destruction when you've never been in one instead of suing for peace??

When people speak this way, I just see the ignorance of a juvenile shining in all its brilliance.

9 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by bishopkay: 10:49am On May 26, 2016
Compensations?? If I'm right there would never have been crisis if the fulani people didn't go on rampage killing villagers because I know Anambra people don't have time to just pick up weapons and start deliberately killings.

While it's a good development, I still prefer the Fayose style. Human life should be sacred!

Will 500k bring back the dead?? You come to my house, kill me and pay compensation In the novel things fall apart, there's a quote I like " If a man enters into your obi and excretes on the floor what do you do?? U take a pestle and break his head"

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by zmilly5(f): 10:52am On May 26, 2016
I concur with @builttolast. I mean it's as simple as that. One doesn't need an expert to figure this out even though the president has lots of those to advice him. I mean, these miscreants are gradually gaining strength and the leadership of thus country is silent on it. He may have succeeded in bringing boko haram to its knees but another is springing up rapidly in the wake of the herdsmen brutality. For pits sake, this is the 21st century, it's either the herdsmen get with the program and evolve from their primitive existence like the rest of us did centuries ago or they face the consequences. We should applaud and imitate the Ekiti State Governor for passing the law. This should be made a federal law and effective immediately. Haba! No need to be having dialogues and debates on this. And no need for sentiments like the Anambra State Governor has done. People have committed crimes punishable under the law, there ought to be arrests. I just tire for our law enforcement system. The police force needs total restructuring and thorough training from the top to the lowest bottom. Hmm, Nigeria oh my Nigeria! I sang the anthem with great pride and hope, now I just murmur with my head drop down in shame and almost no hope.

8 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by Ucheosefoh(m): 11:31am On May 26, 2016
This man Obiano is a true definition of a civilized man in fact after his tenure as governor I will voluntarily campaign for his presidency

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by nadisms: 11:48am On May 26, 2016
This is for Anambrarians and other patriotic Nigerians irrespective of Political Affiliations; If you desire to get undiluted and unbiased information of happenings in Anambra State such as Polical news,Infrastructural developments,etc then this group is for you. Name of the Facebook group: "APGA INTERACTIVE FORUM". This is a forum where issues pertaining to Anambra State are tabled. Also, this forum x-rays the Adminstration of the incumbent Governor of Anambra State with much criticisms to keep him to his toes. Of course,the past actions of Apga interactive Forum have shaken Obiano's Adminstration to keep to his promises. Your contributions and criticisms are welcome.
In this forum ,you will get real facts of what is happening in Anambra State (that is what govt would never want to you to know)... You will not get enough good and bad info of this present Adminstration on Nairaland....... Call it opposition forum but they speak the voice of the masses. Almost all Gov.Obiano's aides and major stake holders in Anambra State and South East are members of the forum.

Full meaning of APGA INTERACTIVE FORUM:
ANYIAGABA POLITICAL & GRASSROOTS ASSOCIATION INTERACTIVE FORUM

Now log in to your Facebook and search this group:::: "APGA INTERACTIVE FORUM"..

LINK.... https://m./539554826108956?refid=18&__tn__=C :PThis is for Anambrarians and other patriotic Nigerians irrespective of Political Affiliations; If you desire to get undiluted and unbiased information of happenings in Anambra State such as Polical news,Infrastructural developments,etc then this group is for you. Name of the Facebook group: "APGA INTERACTIVE FORUM". This is a forum where issues pertaining to Anambra State are tabled. Also, this forum x-rays the Adminstration of the incumbent Governor of Anambra State with much criticisms to keep him to his toes. Of course,the past actions of Apga interactive Forum have shaken Obiano's Adminstration to keep to his promises. Your contributions and criticisms are welcome.
In this forum ,you will get real facts of what is happening in Anambra State (that is what govt would never want to you to know)... You will not get enough good and bad info of this present Adminstration on Nairaland....... Call it opposition forum but they speak the voice of the masses. Almost all Gov.Obiano's aides and major stake holders in Anambra State and South East are members of the forum.

Full meaning of APGA INTERACTIVE FORUM:
ANYIAGABA POLITICAL & GRASSROOTS ASSOCIATION INTERACTIVE FORUM

Now log in to your Facebook and search this group:::: "APGA INTERACTIVE FORUM"..

LINK.... https://m./539554826108956?refid=18&__tn__=C
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by Cjrane2: 11:53am On May 26, 2016
The money for compensation was probably given to the fulanis by the Anambra Governor just to make the community forgive the fulani invaders.
An average fulani man will not agree to part with one naira to compensate anyone for their properties damaged. But, if you kill their cow, they want millions of naira as compensation.

11 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by gidgiddy: 12:03pm On May 26, 2016
Obiano is a fool for supporting this if it is true. These are not the type to reason with.

3 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by Leeeekeeee: 12:11pm On May 26, 2016
From this day i term Obiano "Nna Nzuzu"....

that useless obiano wey keep eye like squirrel wey thunder fire..

Ediot saboteur, may u die the way Ojukwu slaughtered Ifeajuna for being a sabo against the biafran nation...

Uwa Emebigo rara...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by ZUBY77(m): 12:12pm On May 26, 2016
I don't like this
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 26, 2016
D
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by moderatorr: 12:16pm On May 26, 2016
lol
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by codemaniacs: 12:16pm On May 26, 2016
This is bad.

They will feel they have paid money already and start behaving violently.

I'm keeping my eyes on the SE and SS until buhari finishes his presidency...

Obiano has made a big mistake.

3 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by Sijo01(f): 12:17pm On May 26, 2016
Why was the crops not paid for or no crops was destroyed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by aimuan(m): 12:17pm On May 26, 2016
500k for lost live?what happens to the killer?chai,Nigeria my country,I weep 4u.

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by hollypons(f): 12:18pm On May 26, 2016
Peace is the only way forward
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by mildflame: 12:19pm On May 26, 2016
Common Sense at work, well done SIR

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by asha90: 12:20pm On May 26, 2016
With the supersonic development and advancement going on in Anambra we don't want crisis that will set us back. This is a welcome development to settle some of these issues.

mildflame:
Common Sense at work, well done SIR
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by freeborn76(m): 12:21pm On May 26, 2016
gidgiddy:
Obiano is a fool for supporting this if it is true. These are not the type to reason with.

That is the problem with the average Igbo man, for once you have a sane governor toeing the path of nonviolent resolution of conflicts yet you call him a fool. Na waoh! As far as I am concerned, he is a shining example of a man who wants to concentrate on developing his state and not daily grappling with settling one skirmish or the other. So you would rather he buys den guns and machetes for locals like the senseless deranged Fayose did abi? Nonsense!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by gunther6(m): 12:27pm On May 26, 2016
Pandering to his abokì overlords... This man has presidential ambition, you trespass on a man's land, he fights back you kill him you pay his family 500k for his life and net a cool 4.7m for your dead cows, a tidy business... Only in Nigeria is this justice

5 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by kraftykc(m): 12:27pm On May 26, 2016
Whilst I wholly respect and applaud this visionary move, I think the government should have deliberately not made too much distinction between the worth cows and human lives.

Again I say this is the kind of vision we need in the center.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Trade Compensations With Umumbo Farmers (pix by godoluwa(m): 12:27pm On May 26, 2016
TOO BAD & SENSELESS

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Plot To Impeach Buhari: APC Releases Statement / Salary: My Deputy Deliberately Embarrassing Me – Yahaya Bello / Photos From South-East APC For Buhari Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.