Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,546 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:44 PM

Alleged Satanic Verses - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Alleged Satanic Verses (9505 Views)

Are These Verses Really In The Quran? / Quran Verses Appear On Miracle Baby In Dangestan Russia(pix Included) / Miracle Baby Born In Russia With Quranic Verses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 1:46pm On Aug 21, 2009
Assalamu alaikum,

Introduction

Christian missionaries and anti-Islamics over the years have tainted the image of Islam, fabricating lies against Prophet Muhammad (sa) and completeley defiling his character. One such lie hold against the prophet (sa) is the lie of the ‘Satanic Verses’ , which they call Muhammad’s (sa) compromise with idolatry (nauzubillah). The absurd story goes as follows:

One day while the Holy Prophet (sa) while praying in a mixed party of the Meccan idolotors and the Muslims was reciting Surah an-Najm and under Satanic inspiration (nauzubillah) added two verses to Surah an-Najm , which are as follows [in brackets]:

[Qur'an 53:19]
Have ye seen Lat and 'Uzza, And another, the third (goddess), Manat? [These are the high-flying ones, whose intercession is to be hoped for!]

The Prophet (sa), it is alleged, recited these along with other verses of Surah an-Najm in the prayer. The idolators of Makkah who were present in the Ka'bah at that time joined him in the prayer because he praised their deities and thus won their hearts. The story afterwards reached Abyssinia where the Muslims, persecuted by the Makkan infidels, had earlier migrated and many of them returned to Makkah under the impression that the disbelievers no longer opposed the Prophet (sa) and the Islamic movement. The story also says that the angel Gabriel came to the Prophet (sa) the same evening and told him about the mistake he had committed by reciting verses which were never revealed to him. This naturally worried the Prophet (sa) and made him apprehensive. 'Admonishing' the Prophet (sa), God revealed the following verses of Surah al-Isra' which read:

And their purpose was to tempt thee away from that which We had revealed unto thee, to substitute in our name something quite different; (in that case), behold! they would certainly have made thee (their) friend! And had We not given thee strength, thou wouldst nearly have inclined to them a little. In that case We should have made thee taste an equal portion (of punishment) in this life, and an equal portion in death: and moreover thou wouldst have found none to help thee against Us! [Qur'an 17:73-75]

This made the Prophet (sa) feel very guilty until God revealed the following consoling verse of Surah al-Hajj:

Never did We send a messenger or a prophet before thee, but, when he framed a desire, Satan threw some (vanity) into his desire: but Allah will cancel anything (vain) that Satan throws in, and Allah will confirm (and establish) His Signs: for Allah is full of Knowledge and Wisdom. [Qur'an 22:52]

They call this the ‘lapse’ of Muhammad (sa) (nauzubillah). This refutation will explore the sources of the missionary argument and find out if the story holds water.

Sources of the Missionary argument

The missionaries have two major sources:

(1) Ibn Sa'd
(2) Ibn Jarir al-Tabari

It is worthy to note that the alleged story was transmitted from al-Waqidi ( Muhammad Ibn Umar ) to Ibn Sa'd who was a known fabricator of events, Imam Al-Shafi'i who was a comtemporary of al-Waqidi and knew him personally has this to say :

“Al-Waqidi is a liar.”

and also:

“In Madeenah there were seven people who used to forge chains of narration. One of them was al-Waqidi.”

Imam Ibn Hanbal says thus about al-Waqidi:

“Al-Waqidi is a liar”

Imam Bukhari who collectted and compiled the most authentic book of ahadith, Shahih Bukhari said he didn't write a single letter by Al-Waqidi. So the credibility of of the story transmitted by al-Waqidi to Ibn Sa'd is zero. Now we'll turn to al-Tabari:

Al-Tabari mentions the so-called[b] 'Satanic verses'[/b] story in his Tarikh as well as an important set of statements in the introduction of his book, which states:

Let him who examines this book of mine know that I have relied, as regards everything I mention therein which I stipulate to be described by me, solely upon what has been transmitted to me by way of reports which I cite therein and traditions which I ascribe to their narrators, to the exclusion of what may be apprehended by rational argument or deduced by the human mind, except in very few cases. This is because knowledge of the reports of men of the past and of contemporaneous views of men of the present do not reach the one who has not witnessed them nor lived in their times except through the accounts of reporters and the transmission of transmitters, to the exclusion of rational deduction and mental inference. Hence, if I mention in this book a report about some men of the past, which the reader of listener finds objectionable or worthy of censure because he can see no aspect of truth nor any factual substance therein, let him know that this is not to be attributed to us but to those who transmitted it to us and we have merely passed this on as it has been passed on to us.

( Tarikh al-Tabari: Tarikh al-Umam wal-Muluk p. 550.)

So what Al-Tabari is basically saying is that don't blame him if what he records sounds fishy, which makes this story unreal. Another element in why the story is not credible from al-Tabari is because , Karen Armstrong in her book Muahmmad [sa] devotes a whole chapter to this subject. In it she says Al-Tabari:

‘In his history Tabari preserves a tradition which gives a very different version of the story ’ (p.113)

Thus both transmitters of this story are unreliable.

Other Problems with the Story

Other than the reliability of the transmitters there are also many other problems with this story;

It is mentioned in the story that after reciting the so called 'Satanic Verses' verse 52 of Surah al-Hajj were revealed in connection with the story, but in reality Surah al-Hajj was revealed 7 or 8 years later which completeley shreads this story to piecies. It is obvious to any rational person that this story is pure fantasy and furthermore, Ibn Hisham who wrote an exahaustive biography of the prophet (sa) never mentiones this story at all.

References:
* Islamic-Awareness
* Karen Armstrong
* Other Texts
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 2:32pm On Aug 21, 2009
@muhsin,

Christian missionaries and anti-Islamics over the years have tainted the image of Islam, fabricating lies against Prophet Muhammad (sa) and completeley defiling his character. One such lie hold against the prophet (sa) is the lie of the ‘Satanic Verses’

The missionaries have two major sources:

(1) Ibn Sa'd
(2) Ibn Jarir al-Tabari

Your argument is tainted, you accused Christian missionaries of fabricating lies, now you are mentioning muslims as sources of the story?
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 2:35pm On Aug 21, 2009
It is worthy to note that the alleged story was transmitted from al-Waqidi ( Muhammad Ibn Umar ) to Ibn Sa'd who was a known fabricator of events

You mean some muslim scholars were event fabricators? interesting,,,,,,,,,like the flying fire horse and transfiguration where mohammed met Jesus?
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 2:40pm On Aug 21, 2009
“In Madeenah there were seven people who used to forge chains of narration.

very interesting, so some islamic writings were forgeries?
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 2:44pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

Your argument is tainted, you accused Christian missionaries of fabricating lies, now you are mentioning muslims as sources of the story?

I kinda wonder; did you attach meaning to what you read (if you ever really read thoroughly?), Nezan?

The case is twofold:

One, they falsely depend upon them as their sources while in the ride tilt their own real version.

Two, even these so-called Muslims, who are the sources are not truthworthy in whatsoever way as its made clear at the end.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 2:45pm On Aug 21, 2009
Al-Tabari mentions the so-called 'Satanic verses' story in his Tarikh as well as an important set of statements in the introduction of his book, which states:

Let him who examines this book of mine know that I have relied, as regards everything I mention therein which I stipulate to be described by me, solely upon what has been transmitted to me by way of reports which I cite therein and traditions which I ascribe to their narrators, to the exclusion of what may be apprehended by rational argument or deduced by the human mind, except in very few cases. This is because knowledge of the reports of men of the past and of contemporaneous views of men of the present do not reach the one who has not witnessed them nor lived in their times except through the accounts of reporters and the transmission of transmitters, to the exclusion of rational deduction and mental inference. Hence, if I mention in this book a report about some men of the past, which the reader of listener finds objectionable or worthy of censure because he can see no aspect of truth nor any factual substance therein, let him know that this is not to be attributed to us but to those who transmitted it to us and we have merely passed this on as it has been passed on to us.
So the satanic verses emanated from contemporaries of your prophet, it was not a Christian forgery, okay? grin grin
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 2:50pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

You mean some muslim scholars were event fabricators? interesting,,,,,,,,,like the flying fire horse and transfiguration where mohammed met Jesus?

In Islam, there is a branch of study which is called Fighul Hadeeth. Its prime concern is to deal/trace the authenticity or otherwise of any reported tradition from the Prophet Muhammad, may Allah exalt his mention. The chain that reports the hadeeth no matter how long it is is traced. Thats why we have sound, unsound, etc hadeeth.

Moreover, that's to shun away all allegations. Unlike your religion, am sorry to say, wherein every Dick and Tom just say things and be taken as even "revelation".
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 2:51pm On Aug 21, 2009
Sura an-Najm (Star) 53:19-22
Now tell me about Al-Lat, Al-Uzza, and Manat,
The third one, another goddess.
What! For you the males and for him the females!
That indeed is an unfair division.  
أَفَرَأَيْتُمُ اللَّاتَ وَالْعُزَّى
وَمَنَاةَ الثَّالِثَةَ الْأُخْرَى
أَلَكُمُ الذَّكَرُ وَلَهُ الْأُنثَى
تِلْكَ إِذًا قِسْمَةٌ ضِيزَى. سورة النجم - سورة ‏٥٣: ١٩-٢٢‏
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 2:54pm On Aug 21, 2009
The statement that Allah was involved with female goddesses while Muhammad and his people were left with men, was cynically discussed by author Salman Rushdie. He made the impure account even more obscene. His book was regarded as utterly blasphemous by all Muslims.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 2:55pm On Aug 21, 2009
In Sura Hajj (Pilgrimage) 22:52-53, Muhammad confessed his mistake, alleging that all prophets were tempted by Satan who inspire them with demonic verses, as if they were actually revealed by God. But later on Allah abrogated those Satanic Verses with new revelations and instructs his prophets with new verses. According to Islam, Allah permits such demonic inspiration to test weak believers and to cut off those with hardened hearts.

Never did We send a messenger or a prophet before thee, but, when he framed a desire, Satan threw some (vanity) into his desire: but Allah will cancel anything (vain) that Satan throws in, and Allah will confirm (and establish) His Signs: for Allah is full of Knowledge and Wisdom:
That He may make the suggestions thrown in by Satan, but a trial for those in whose hearts is a disease and who are hardened of heart: verily the wrong-doers are in a schism far (from the Truth): Hajj (Pilgrimage) 22:52-53. Yusuf 'Ali's translation
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 2:56pm On Aug 21, 2009
The true, vital issue about the Satanic verses is this. If Muhammad were unable to distinguish Satan's voice from God's voice, then could there be verses in the Qur'an that Muhammad assumed were from God but were really from Satan? Maybe much of the Qur'an is Satanic in origin, in spite of Muhammad's conviction that it was entirely from Allah.

The Qur'an clearly states that Muhammad spoke in the name of God and that he said things that God had not commanded him! Next, he charges that all the prophets of God voiced Satanic statements! According to the holy law of God, Muhammad ought to have been put to death as a false prophet! According to the Holy Scriptures, if a prophet spoke anything in the name of LORD that was not from Him, the prophet must be put to death! Muhammad spoke in the name of Allah and then admitted that he had really spoken the words of Satan.

But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death. Deuteronomy 18:20 (NIV)
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 2:57pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

very interesting, so some islamic writings were forgeries?

NO. Can't be.

Explained above.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 2:59pm On Aug 21, 2009
muhsin:

NO. Can't be.

Explained above.

Then why are you discrediting Al-tabari and ibn sa'd?
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 3:02pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

Al-Tabari mentions the so-called 'Satanic verses' story in his Tarikh as well as an important set of statements in the introduction of his book, which states:

So the satanic verses emanated from contemporaries of your prophet, it was not a Christian forgery, okay? grin grin

That is your preponderant problem as well as flaw which will certainly (though eventually) deal to your downfall, Nezan. You never read between the lines but go on arguing spuriously.

Re-read where I bolded now and the original OP.

And regarding the authenticity or falsity of Hadeeth, I dealt with this deliberate miscalculation.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 3:07pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

Sura an-Najm (Star) 53:19-22
Now tell me about Al-Lat, Al-Uzza, and Manat,
The third one, another goddess.
What! For you the males and for him the females!
That indeed is an unfair division.  
أَفَرَأَيْتُمُ اللَّاتَ وَالْعُزَّى
وَمَنَاةَ الثَّالِثَةَ الْأُخْرَى
أَلَكُمُ الذَّكَرُ وَلَهُ الْأُنثَى
تِلْكَ إِذًا قِسْمَةٌ ضِيزَى. سورة النجم - سورة ‏٥٣: ١٩-٢٢‏

Right these are the alleged "verses".

Then what?
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 3:08pm On Aug 21, 2009
muhsin:

That is your preponderant problem as well as flaw which will certainly (though eventually) deal to your downfall, Nezan. You never read between the lines but go on arguing spuriously.

Re-read where I bolded now and the original OP.

And regarding the authenticity or falsity of Hadeeth, I dealt with this deliberate miscalculation.
You are misunderstanding me, Al-Tabari's account came from contemporaries of the prophet, or did Al-Tabari based his account on Christians who transmitted the story? the story was transmitted by contemporaries of mohammed.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 3:10pm On Aug 21, 2009
muhsin:

Right these are the alleged "verses".

Then what?
were the verses written by christians?
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 3:11pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

The statement that Allah was involved with female goddesses while Muhammad and his people were left with men, was cynically discussed by author Salman Rushdie. He made the impure account even more obscene. His book was regarded as utterly blasphemous by all Muslims.

This issue predates Rushdi; he only popularized an age-old basless tale by including it in his fiction novel.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 3:14pm On Aug 21, 2009
muhsin:

This issue predates Rushdi; he only popularized an age-old basless tale by including it in his fiction novel.

Was Rushdie a Christian? Why declare a fatwa on him if the tale was baseless?
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 3:14pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

Then why are you discrediting Al-tabari and ibn sa'd?

Because he was discredited by myriads Muslim scholars who have vast knowledge of the chain of Hadeeth report.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 3:16pm On Aug 21, 2009
As can be seen from al-Tabari's writings, the evidence is conclusive that Muhammad was used by Satan. To excuse his own conduct, Muhammad blamed Satan, and then he defamed all the prophets when he claimed that Satan casts words into the mouths of all the prophets. In other words, Muhammad charged that all the prophets uttered words under the inspiration of Satan!  This Qur'anic verse is itself a Satanic Verse woven into the very fabric of the Qur'an. Muhammad offered not the slightest proof to substantiate his wicked defamation of Abraham, Joseph, Moses, Elijah, etc.

Never did We send a Messenger or a Prophet before you, but; when he did recite the revelation or narrated or spoke, Shait? (Satan) threw (some falsehood) in it. But All? abolishes that which Shait? (Satan) throws in. Then All? establishes His Revelations. And All? is All-Knower, All-Wise: Sura al-Hajj 22:52 (Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali & Muhammad Muhsin Khan's Translation)
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 3:18pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

You are misunderstanding me, Al-Tabari's account came from contemporaries of the prophet, or did Al-Tabari based his account on Christians who transmitted the story? the story was transmitted by contemporaries of mohammed.

Can you support that claim?

Any way, lets assume it was, but I elaborated that the chain report of any tradition is thoroughly checked and re-checked by scholars.

But you can still back-up your assertion.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 3:19pm On Aug 21, 2009
muhsin:

Because he was discredited by myriads Muslim scholars who have vast knowledge of the chain of Hadeeth report.
Very soon your scholars will discredit all hadiths as olabowale is doing,,,,,denying that Aisha was not disvirgined at 9-years old.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 3:20pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

were the verses written by christians?

NO.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 3:22pm On Aug 21, 2009
muhsin:

Can you support that claim?

Any way, lets assume it was, but I elaborated that the chain report of any tradition is thoroughly checked and re-checked by scholars.

But you can still back-up your assertion.
Al Tabari and Ibn-sa'd were islamic writers, not christians.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 3:25pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

Was Rushdie a Christian? Why declare a fatwa on him if the tale was baseless?

Rushdie's book is just a filthy attack on the Prophet (saw), really disgusting actually. I haven't read it myself and nor do I plan to but here is a taste of his vulgar style:

Prophet Abraham (as) is called a 'bast***' (nauzubillah) p.95
He calls Salman al-Farsi (ra) 'some sort of bum' , Hazrat Bilal (ra) an 'enormous black monster' [nauzubillah] (pgs 101-102)

He also frequently calls prophet Muhammad (saw) 'Mahound' in his book, just like Christians did in the time of the crusades.

Definitely the sick man deserve a bitter punishment. No religion can condone such a snootiness. Is there?
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 3:25pm On Aug 21, 2009
muhsin:

NO.
Then why accuse Christians of promoting the satanic verses since they were not the authors?
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 3:27pm On Aug 21, 2009
muhsin:

Rushdie's book is just a filthy attack on the Prophet (saw), really disgusting actually. I haven't read it myself and nor do I plan to but here is a taste of his vulgar style:

Prophet Abraham (as) is called a 'bast***' (nauzubillah) p.95
He calls Salman al-Farsi (ra) 'some sort of bum' , Hazrat Bilal (ra) an 'enormous black monster' [nauzubillah] (pgs 101-102)

He also frequently calls prophet Muhammad (saw) 'Mahound' in his book, just like Christians did in the time of the crusades.

Definitely the sick man deserve a bitter punishment. No religion can condone such a snootiness. Is there?
May be he discovered that mohammed was a fraud?
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 3:28pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

Al Tabari and Ibn-sa'd were islamic writers, not christians.

You've not answered my question.

Re-read the post you quoted when writing this (your) reply.

But to answer this; yes they are Muslim writers but their writings are not unauthentic.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 3:30pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

As can be seen from al-Tabari's writings, the evidence is conclusive that Muhammad was used by Satan. To excuse his own conduct, Muhammad blamed Satan, and then he defamed all the prophets when he claimed that Satan casts words into the mouths of all the prophets. In other words, Muhammad charged that all the prophets uttered words under the inspiration of Satan!  This Qur'anic verse is itself a Satanic Verse woven into the very fabric of the Qur'an. Muhammad offered not the slightest proof to substantiate his wicked defamation of Abraham, Joseph, Moses, Elijah, etc.

Never did We send a Messenger or a Prophet before you, but; when he did recite the revelation or narrated or spoke, Shait? (Satan) threw (some falsehood) in it. But All? abolishes that which Shait? (Satan) throws in. Then All? establishes His Revelations. And All? is All-Knower, All-Wise: Sura al-Hajj 22:52 (Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali & Muhammad Muhsin Khan's Translation)

What are you insinuating here?

Like you are concreting my facts. tongue
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by Nezan(m): 3:34pm On Aug 21, 2009
muhsin:

What are you insinuating here?

Like you are concreting my facts. tongue
Nope.
Mo was possesed by a demon.
He uttered satanic verses.
Turn to justify it by falsely accusing older prophets of uttering satanic verses too.
This in itself is satanic since no true prophet of God ever uttered satanic verses.
Re: Alleged Satanic Verses by muhsin(m): 3:35pm On Aug 21, 2009
Nezan:

Then why accuse Christians of promoting the satanic verses since they were not the authors?

I don't wanna always be repeating myself.

But I made it glaringly clear above why is that so.

You too can reason it: for instance, some can write falsely about Christianity. If that favors my opinion why shouldn't I enthusiastically grab it and employ it when defaming that "religion"? Think reflectively, dude.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Types Of Speech Muslim Needs To Refrain From / Suggested Alternatives To Electronic Games For Children / Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.