Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,411 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding (3134 Views)

Pregnant Woman Rejected By Cameronian Hospital,Operated By Her Niece In Open Air / LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant / Boy Attacked By Dogs Got Infection At Lasuth - Indian Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by BlackRevo: 5:26pm On Aug 21, 2009
Shocking! Patients Rejected At LASUTH

Several patients with emergency cases are being rejected by the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), as a result of congestion.

One of the patients turned back from the Surgical Emergency Department on Wednesday, died at the premises of the hospital.

The Surgical Emergency Department, since last week, started sending away emergency patients, due to shortage of bed space and the refusal of the management of the hospital to treat patients on wheel chairs or on the floor.

In recent times, the Surgical Emergency Department has been flooded by patients on the floor and wheel chairs waiting to take up any available bed space.

At midnight, Monday, a team of policemen rushed an accident patient to the Surgical Emergency Department, but doctors on duty refused to admit the patient on grounds that the management have directed that patients not on bed should not be treated.

The decision not to treat patients on the floor or wheel chair was taken when a patient, who was treated on a wheel chair complained of improper conduct of the doctor that handled his case.

This made the hospital management to suspend the Resident Doctor for one month without pay, a situation that did not go down well with other doctors.

A memo signed by Dr. G.P. Lasisi, President, Association of Resident Doctors, directed that the particular doctor who treated the patient on a wheel chair be suspended for one month without pay.

The memo banned all doctors from attending to patients not on the bed, pointing that it was against the ethics of the profession and warned that any doctor who violated the new order would be sanctioned.

One of the doctors told P.M.News that it was sad that the most gentle doctor in the Surgical Emergency Department was suspended for trying to save the life of a patient by treating the patient on a wheel chair.

It was because of that episode that the hospital decided to turn back patients as a result of congestion in the hospital.

P.M.News could also report that most of the doctors and nurses in the Surgical Emergency Department have become terribly hostile, barking and yelling at patients and visitors.

One of the doctors once threatened to embarrass a visitor if he did not leave his presence immediately, just because the visitor told the doctor to come to the aid of a patient groaning in pains.

P.M.News also observed that there is gross shortage of manpower at LASUTH, and this has made the doctors and nurses to be hostile to patients and visitors because of the large number of people they have to attend to.

http://thepmnews.com/2009/08/21/congestion-patients-rejected-at-lasuth
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by walata44(m): 5:43pm On Aug 21, 2009
And Yara dua is having medical checkup in Saudi Arabia on tax payer money.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by RichyBlacK(m): 5:49pm On Aug 21, 2009
walata44:

Yep, I blame Nigerians! Their capacity to accept utter rubbish by useless animals in human skin (many apologies to Baba Fela) is the bane of Nigeria's unshakable retrogression to poverty, darkness, squalor and mayhem!

Why can't we have 10 Million Man March to Abuja? angry
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by blacksta(m): 5:52pm On Aug 21, 2009
The generally thinking of Nigerians " e go better one day " whilst they all drop dead like flies.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by MrCrackles(m): 5:54pm On Aug 21, 2009
This is bleeped up. . . The whole shit stinks and i am miffed! angry
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by BlackRevo: 6:59pm On Aug 21, 2009
Obstacles are what we see when our eyes are not focused on the goal.

The goal to me is to treat these people and save lives. Not having enough bed should not be an hindrance to treating them. During war times people are treated on the ground and on the floor. I am appealing to them please to throw away the so called ethics to the trash and treat these people.

I was already crying before posting this article. cry

A question was asked during the Florida flood when a woman went into a destroyed shop to pick up some food for her crying and almost dieing children. She was accused of stealing but people came to her rescue to say that she wanted to save her dieing children and by the way there was no one to even sell food to her if she had any money on her.

Please i am appealing to the hospital authority to treat these people irrespective of bed spaces. Saving Lives is the ultimate goal and lack of beds should not be an obstacle.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by TheSeeker(m): 4:35pm On Sep 14, 2009
Show me one sector in Nigeria that is functioning?!
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by Fhemmmy: 4:41pm On Sep 14, 2009
How sad to read this kinda news.
I am sure soon Yar'Adua will say something and show his ignorance.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by dumodust(m): 10:31pm On Sep 14, 2009
it is people like black revo that will go back and sue when they are treated under a mango tree. Shame no dey catcg una, so wartime is a perfect comparison to the nigerian situation. Medicine if you haven't noticed has a medicolegal aspect, dont touch what you cant manage adequately or it's jail time for. The human nature has taught doctors a lesson and i'm glad that they're adapting, Humanitarian my foot. Thank God you now realise that there's a shortage in manpower. next time if they ask for more pay, attack them
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by PurestBoy(m): 12:59pm On Sep 16, 2009
walata44:

Abi o, he's busy after banks MDs
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by SeXyBoNE: 1:04pm On Sep 16, 2009
The moment that maggot identify himself as president of nigerian, i knew were in for more setback

I condemned Yara' Fool the day he was sworn inn, but some of us almost cut off my hands. Yu guys said we should give him mo time, he surely needs enuf time to do mo damages.  OBJ is  still the President of Nigeria, thats the fact. PDP is a satanic Party.

Wen nid God to intervene
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by OvieE: 1:12pm On Sep 16, 2009
Time is coming when many Nigerians will say they regret being a Nigeria.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

am not surprise.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by lawrence83: 1:45pm On Sep 16, 2009
walata44:

Never expect less!
MrCrackles:

Pls, am following your lead! allowed?
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by mployer(m): 2:00pm On Sep 16, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
is people like black revo that will go back and sue when they are treated under a mango tree. Shame no dey catcg una, so wartime is a perfect comparison to the nigerian situation. Medicine if you haven't noticed has a medicolegal aspect, dont touch what you cant manage adequately or it's jail time for. The human nature has taught doctors a lesson and i'm glad that they're adapting, Humanitarian my foot. Thank God you now realise that there's a shortage in manpower. next time if they ask for more pay, attack them

Wickedness in disguise sad sad
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by elelem(m): 2:08pm On Sep 16, 2009
rebranding my foot
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by Oluschenco(m): 2:14pm On Sep 16, 2009
Nairalanders should stop calling this man Yar'Adua, He is Yar'aDULL, some people are suffring and the first lady is out for a meeting on Nuclear Energy. Is she the minister-in-charge? Honestly, Nigeria is falling.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by nwachi2(m): 2:17pm On Sep 16, 2009
pls i suggest dat yaradua should not take much blame because dis is a government dat had be damage by obasinjo and his group for morethan 40yrs.so we need patient and prayer for reformation.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by lawmanlala(m): 2:22pm On Sep 16, 2009
doctors are supposed to save lives, unionism or not. This really portrays how decay the nigerian medical system is
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by stmanpule(m): 2:29pm On Sep 16, 2009
only God can change this country for us, our leaders are reading papers and they all know what we are going through and yet they refuse to change for good. If our serving president can be going abroad for medical check ups, that alone is enough to tell him invest widely in our health care system. the ASUU strike has been on for months yet the education minister didnt find any reasonable excuse for this.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by Nezan(m): 2:29pm On Sep 16, 2009
Nigeria is sinking down low.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by akin101: 2:33pm On Sep 16, 2009
nigerians ar no longer human beins we are gradually becomin monkeys tongue
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by Oluschenco(m): 2:46pm On Sep 16, 2009
nwachi2:

pls i suggest dat yaradua should not take much blame because dis is a government dat had be damage by obasinjo and his group for morethan 40yrs.so we need patient and prayer for reformation.  

Thats why a government has been put in place, ministers and commissioners appointed for both federal and state level to correct the abnormalties, he knows the weak point, but slow in decision making. Does he really check on the activities carried out by these people.

I dont blame him because professionals are not appointed to posts, but everything in Nigeria is now Political, even to have a good GF, you must sabi person.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by slowie(m): 3:03pm On Sep 16, 2009
doctors, ASUU, NEPA abi na PHCN, banks, stock market, boko harams, Niger delta, super chicken, show me a secctor without problem in this country. All we have stupid AGF, FG after Lagos state govt - thats obviosly doing well, minister of rebranding etc etc abeg. the country is going down, its God that can help us.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by illusion2: 3:23pm On Sep 16, 2009
Really sad indeed, . . . . . . sad sad cry cry cry cry
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by chosen04(f): 3:36pm On Sep 16, 2009
illusion2:

Really sad indeed, . . . . . . sad sad cry cry cry cry

Its understandable when Politican dont talk. But its really very very SAD INDEED!! When Religious leaders keep Mute and wash "People of GOD" suffer, just to get favour from his LOOTERS.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by Allta(m): 3:53pm On Sep 16, 2009
Oluschenco:

I dont blame him because professionals are not appointed to posts, but everything in Nigeria is now Political, even to have a good GF, you must sabi person.

lol grin

abegi O, I need a good GF, if you know one, please get in touch. Adequate remuneration for all successful referrals. Many Thanks
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by meine: 4:03pm On Sep 16, 2009
NIGERIA, the story/drama continues!
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by butter(m): 4:05pm On Sep 16, 2009
Going by the comments some of us have posted, its apparent that some of us think doctors are zombies or didn't you read that the decision to

not treat patients not on the bed is as a result of a COMPLAINT lodged by ANOTHER PATIENT who was treated in a wheelchair. the doctor

was obviously trying to save the patient's life but what does he get in return, a month suspension without pay. i mean put yourself in that doc's

shoes, the next time you see such a case would you stick your neck out considering the consequences? come to think of it, is it normal to treat

patients on the floor or in a wheelchair ALL THE TIME? The comments of a few of us, seems to infer that it is.

Its rather unfortunate that health care has decayed to that point, instead of blaming doctors (a part of the equation), blame the govt who if

they'll invest in health care adequately, then we wouldn't see this problem occurring. doctors are a part of the equation. they're in the system.

We (via the NMA) have been asking for and are still asking for increased funding in health care, a better work environment, improved pay,

functional equipment but govt doesn't listen and people DON'T TALK. when doctors take the painful option of going on strike to press home

these demands, people start complaining. we accuse docs of several things, forgetting that govt is playing an active/major role in the sorry state

of things. the patient that was treated on a wheelchair is a Nigerian who didn't like being treated on a wheelchair, the doc, in this case gets

punished for saving his life, that patient will probably accuse doctors when they go on strike to protest the conditions he experienced.

Gani died of lung cancer. a condition that wasn't diagnosed on time coz our hospitals are not well equipped. while here he was misdiagnosed

instead and i don't blame those docs one bit. if they don't have the tools to work with, they can't function effectively. they're not babalawos or

ifa priests. they've no way of telling you spot on what's wrong by merely looking at someone.

Face it people, blame govt, what you're seeing is the result of a complete neglect of the health care system. that's why Nigeria has one of

the worst health care systems in the world as stated by various international bodies and to me they're being kind when they tell us that, coz in

my opinion,  we don't even have a health care SYSTEM. other countries don't joke with theirs, which is why our govt. officials keep jetting out

at the slightest excuse.
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by Allta(m): 4:08pm On Sep 16, 2009
For me, as a medical doctor, the well-being of my patient comes first! Every other follows.

Even sometimes, the patient don't know what is best for them from medical perspective, but it's my duty to bring things to their awareness and management should never have jeopardised the health of any patient, even if they have to be treated in bathrooms and toilets!
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by Ajike: 4:22pm On Sep 16, 2009
@Theseeker, Show me one sector in Nigeria that is functioning?!

none my brother absolutely none angry cry
Re: Patients Rejected At LASUTH Due To Overcrowding by djpalapala(m): 4:25pm On Sep 16, 2009
A time will come when NEMESIS will catch up with all those wicked people in high places that have refused to the right thing even when they know it. I can't imagine the president of United States going out of America to go for medical checkup, its unimagineable. If all of them at the drop of a hat enter a plane and jet out of the country for medical check-up then they know that something is wrong with our medical service, so why cant they just do something about it? I believe that the fact that they have the means to go out of the country even for a birthday party and at every opportunity has given then a resistance to the plight of the average Nigerian. O Lord, fight for us.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Deal And Overcome Depression Without Drugs / Ladies Do You Feel Weak After Your Period? / Here's The Natural/herbal Cure For Weak, Low Or No Erection At All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.