Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,473 members, 7,781,376 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:27 PM

Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? (602 Views)

For Christians: How To Be Free From Masturbation, Other Addictions / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / Can I Listen To Secular Music/clubbing And Still Be A Devoted Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? by ProGSM(m): 3:10am On May 28, 2016
Hi,

I am thinking about this. Do you consider secular music OK for Christians?

I came across it here on Cfaith Today!

Kindly share you thought with me.

Source: http://cfaithtoday.com/consider-secular-music-ok-christians/
Re: Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? by Psylas(m): 4:03am On May 28, 2016
When I was an ordinary christian I play some christian and secular music

When I was a born again christian I only play deep christian music,

Now that I'm an athestic agnostic I play any kind of music as far as I like it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? by ProGSM(m): 6:48am On May 28, 2016
Psylas:
When I was ordinary christian I play some christian and secular music

When I was born again christian I only play deep christian music,

Now that I'm an atheistestic agnostic I play any kind of music as far as I like it

Waooo, it is ok!
Re: Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? by ify84(m): 7:50am On May 28, 2016
If I are truly born again, u can't play worldly music..

[NLT] Colossians 3:16

"Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.... "

The instructions above is simple. Christians only do col 3:16

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? by slimytrikt: 9:28am On May 28, 2016
What exactly is secular or worldly music? We could say secular music is one that does not have a religious undertone to it. Probably, we could say a music that does not mention the name of God or anything related to God directly in it.

Now, if I catch my daughter singing the popular song:

I love you...
You love me...
We are as happy as can be...
With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you...
Won't you say you love me too?

should I scream blue murder and stop her from singing it because the song is not by a gospel artiste? Or should I stop her from singing it because the song in itself is secular? I am very sure an Atheist wouldn't mind having that song as his or her ring tone.

Better still, should I stop playing the below song:

All is right...
On the golden gate Chicago mourn as a poor little baby child is born in the ghetto...
...and his mama cried...for there's one thing that she told me, there's another little hungry mouth to feed...in the ghetto..
People don't you understand, the child needs an helping hand...for you are gonna be an angry young man some day...
If you look at you and me...and what you try to see...
Do we simply turn our heads and look the other way?...

because it does not mention God?

My point is, we tend to get some things wrong from the get go. Being a Christian shouldn't make one a recluse or stop one from enjoying some very good songs because the songs are not inherently gospel.

The only kind of songs a good Christian should avoid are songs that are vulgar, contains profanity and are downright anti-God.

If a song doesn't affect your faith or is not 'offensive' then by all means, enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? by elveco: 12:15pm On May 28, 2016
Rom 12:2.

Ur attention shld be of high value. Anytin u gve ur attn to often influences u. Plz listen to only music dt feeds ur spirit. Secular music gratifies d flesh, nd whteva gve life 2 ur flesh draws u away frm God
Re: Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 28, 2016
who hears the worldly song edify the body and who hears the spiritual smg edify the body.both are useful,it depend on when u nid it
Re: Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? by Peritus(m): 7:36pm On May 28, 2016
What we feed our minds is very important. Every song has where it is channelled. Personally, I okayed some secular songs I thought decent and good until I was seriously warned in a dream. Every song has what it edifies, the spirit or the flesh.
Gal 5: 16-17 walk in the spirit and you will not obey the lusts of your flesh. What the flesh desires is opposed to what the spirit desires.
If you are more concerned in feeding your spirit, some desires of your flesh will drop out. May the good Lord fill you with the knowledge of His will, in wisdom and spiritual understanding.
NB: those who walk in flesh can never please God. Rmns 8: 8. But as many as led by the spirit are called sons of God. Rmns 8:14.
Re: Do You Consider Secular Music OK For Christians? by hahn(m): 8:22pm On May 28, 2016
God must be really petty and jobless to judge someone based on the kind of music they listen to.

Little wonder it is always begging for money on Sundays tongue

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Is It Right For A Believer To Use Cheat Codes For Browsing? / Devout Christains Come In / Here’s Why Some Christians Are Convinced The World Is Going To End In 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.